Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Finding insects inside your home: Squish or Capture & Release?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-28-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't THINK of actually SQUISHING the ICKY-STICKY GUTS out of a bug on my floor or rug or wall or TV or on whatever the HELL I have in my place!

I have a large plastic ex-mayonnaise jar from Costco (and keep a piece of cardboard inside it to use as a scoup) and always capture and release bugs we may find inside our bum-stead, especially spiders (because they're really cool and help-out by killing flies and wee-bugs and pests and the like).

You know something? I've seen folks (with my OWN eyes) actually SQUISH THE JUICE out of bugs right into their carpet where they or their kids walk and stuff! Or on all sorts of things in their home.

Earth to People: THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS I SAY!

Now Cockroaches on the other hand...

...are so rare around our place (as I'm 'The Edit King' here but 'The Caulking King' at home and have filled in all the cracks and areas under the sinks as it were that they might creep in) but if one finds a way (most likely sneaks in from outside and rears it's UGLY ROACH-PUS FACE...) I'll catch it in a paper towel and give 'em the SUPER-SQUISH TREATMENT and have absolutely NO Regrets what-so-ever.

-T

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-28-10 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Finding insects inside your home: Squish or Capture & Release?

Isn't it true though that if you step on a German cockroach that is pregnant, you can spread the egg sac into your house via your shoe sole?
Old 10-28-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I typically catch and release just because I don't want guts all over my house.
Old 10-28-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Isn't it true though that if you step on a German cockroach that is pregnant, you can spread the egg sac into your house via your shoe sole?
I don't know anything about that, but it SOUNDS POSSIBLE to me!

Once folks squish a damn bug, they now have the guts on the soles of their shoes and end up tracking it throughout the house!

IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!

So I vote: YES!

-THEEK & YIKES!!!

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-28-10 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-28-10, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a "catch and release" bug person, too.

Catch and release. Release into the neighbor's mailslot...ha ha ha.
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Catching Critters Causes Cats and Caucasians to Cowl in a Cacophony of Cactii

Capture and release...
Spoiler:
into the toilet!! Yeah, I'm a little sadistic...
Old 10-28-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Edit King View Post
and always capture and release bugs we may find inside our bum
Old 10-28-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I kill them unless it's a spider. Spiders I usually leave alone cause they catch the other bugs.
Old 10-28-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork View Post
YOU'RE FUNNY!
Old 10-28-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not only do I catch and release, I usually just release them into another part of the house. Except for things with stingers, they get let outside.
Old 10-28-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

catch and eat

I'm too cheap to buy groceries

this saves <qtlend></qtlend> me a bundle
<qtlbar id="qtlbar" dir="ltr" style="display: inline; text-align: left; line-height: 100%; padding: 0pt; background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236); -moz-border-radius: 3px 3px 3px 3px; cursor: move; z-index: 999; left: 72px; top: 87px; opacity: 0.9;"><iframe id="qtlframe" src="" style="display: none; border: 1px solid rgb(236, 236, 236); background-color: white;"></iframe></qtlbar>
Old 10-28-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Catch and release except for blood suckers. Ticks and misquitos die.
Old 10-28-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Squish. They are bugs.
Old 10-28-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Not only do I catch and release, I usually just release them into another part of the house. Except for things with stingers, they get let outside.
Just in it for the sport?

I'm also a catch-and-releaser. Any insects get sent outside with a stern warning. Centipedes are usually a bitch, though. They're just too fast and generally end up losing some legs to the edge of the glass.
Old 10-28-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

where's the poll?

Old 10-28-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I kill them unless it's a spider. Spiders I usually leave alone cause they catch the other bugs.
Agreed. Spiders always get a pass.
Old 10-28-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know what else catches other bugs? Rapists. You just let them go too?
Old 10-28-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I take pleasure in capturing them and taking them over to the toilet. I'll put a couple of drops of liquid soap in the bowl before I dump the bug in there. The soap takes away any water viscosity so the bug sinks to the bottom. It's satisfying to watch the bug convulse as it tries to breathe before going limp and lifeless.

No squishing, no mess.
Old 10-28-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually let them all go, except for when I had a bout with bed bugs. I would usually burn the fuckers alive, or squish them until they popped.
Old 10-28-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I take pleasure in capturing them and taking them over to the toilet. I'll put a couple of drops of liquid soap in the bowl before I dump the bug in there. The soap takes away any water viscosity so the bug sinks to the bottom. It's satisfying to watch the bug convulse as it tries to breathe before going limp and lifeless.
You should try starting fires. That's fun too.
Old 10-28-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Little spiders are okay; big spiders go squish. I tend to have crickets in the garage during the fall but one or two have gotten into the house -- they were captured and released. Flies die, plain and simple.
Old 10-28-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
where's the poll?

Dear OtterVille Member,

Thank you for contacting us about your concern.

Your case is already being worked on by the appropriate department and they will respond to you as soon as possible.

Your complete satisfaction is our highest priority.

Thank you for choosing an Edit King thread.

-Cindy

Edit King Thread Support Team
Old 10-28-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The main pest around here is the stink bug, which, as the name implies, isn't something you want to squish. Nor is releasing them a viable option as they're attracted to the warmth of houses in winter. I normally just collect them in a water or soda bottle, that way if they go off, the smll is contained.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Halyomorpha halys, the brown marmorated stink bug, or simply the stink bug, is an insect in the family Pentatomidae, and is native to China Mainland. It was accidentally introduced into the United States, with the first specimen being collected in September 1998. The brown marmorated stink bug is considered to be an agricultural pest.

The adults are approximately ⅝ inch long and the underside is white or pale tan, sometimes with gray or black markings. The legs are brown with faint white banding. The stink glands are located on the underside of the thorax, between the first and second pair of legs.

It is an agricultural pest that can cause widespread damage to fruit and vegetable crops. In Japan it is a pest to soybean and fruit crops. In the US, the brown marmorated stink bug feeds, beginning in late May or early June, on a wide range of fruits, vegetables, and other host plants including peaches, apples, green beans, soybeans, cherry, raspberries, and pears. It is a sucking insect, a "true bug", that uses its proboscis to pierce the host plant in order to feed. This feeding results, in part, in the formation of small, necrotic areas on the outer surface of fruits but ranges from leaf stippling, cat-facing on tree fruits, seed loss, and transmission of plant pathogens.

The brown marmorated stink bug is more likely to invade homes in the fall than others in the family. The brown marmorated stink bug survives the winter as an adult by entering houses and structures when fall evenings start to turn cold. Adults can live for several years and look for buildings to overwinter in that shield them from the elements. They will work their way under siding, into soffits, around window and door frames, under roof shingles and into any crawl space or attic vent which has openings big enough to fit through. Once inside the house they will go into a state of hibernation where they wait for winter to pass, but often the warmth inside the house causes them to become active, especially in winter months, and they will fly clumsily around light fixtures.

The odor from the stinkbug is due to trans-2-decenal and trans-2-Octenal. The stinkbug's ability to emit a vile odor through holes in its abdomen is a defense mechanism meant to prevent it from being eaten by birds and lizards. However, simply jostling the bug, cornering it, scaring or injuring it, or attempting to remove it from one's house can "set it off". Squashing it is a surefire way of expelling its noxious odor.

There are many methods for removing the stink bug from a house without causing it to release its odor. The quickest way is to allow it to walk onto something like a newspaper and then simply take it outside, although the bug may simply find its way back inside again, and they can live for years. Another option is to gently collect it using a piece of tissue and flush it. An electric flyswatter quickly stuns them and kills them after a few seconds without squashing them, but it can still cause them to emit the foul smell, although not as often as a normal squashing. Dropping them into a jar with an inch of soapy water with a high enough concentration will dissolve the exoskeleton, and once enough are collected they can then be flushed down the toilet on occasion. A hand-held device called the BugZooka will capture live bugs by way of a sucking force, without killing them, and thus won't cause a stink. Vacuum cleaners have also been used, although this can stink up the vacuum cleaner.
Old 10-28-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
I normally just collect them in a water or soda bottle, that way if they go off, the smell is contained.
YIKES & SAINTS PRESERVE US!

That sounds like a great idea, but I'd choose glass bottles so I could use them as stink bomb grenades to throw through the windows of my damn noisy neighbors.

-TEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 10-29-10 at 12:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.