Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I may have only one more week left with my dog.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-27-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump. My time with Zoe is coming to an end.

Bump. For those of you who were nice enough to show concern for Zoe when she was sick I just wanted to inform everyone that today is her birthday. She is fourteen. Although she is now having some issues getting up due to her back legs giving out she has given me more time to spend with her. Happy Birthday Zoe.

I have a twelve year old golden and about a week ago she stopped eating. I brought her to the vet and he found a mass on her spleen. He told me this was common in goldens and there is a seventy percent chance it is malignant. The only way to tell for sure is to have her spleen and the mass removed. I have already spoken with the vet and told him that if he finds out she does have cancer when performing the surgery I want to have her put down then. It would not be humane to have a twelve year old dog recover from the surgery just to battle cancer. I am trying to be positive and pray that she will be in the thirty percent but I just can't get myself to believe it. The only positive things I can think of is that if she does not come out of the surgery she will never have to go through any pain and that I have been blessed with twelve years of perhaps the best companion I will ever have.

Last edited by hippie68; 11-11-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-27-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: I may have only one more week left with my dog.

I feel for you.

I went through something similar a few years ago, and I had a rough time with it. I know there are lots of people that view pets as "just animals", but I'll never see it that way.
Old 10-27-10, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a rough decision, especially when I consider my 6 year old Golden by my side and what would I do. And they are not "just animals." My dog is as unique to me as any person I ever met...he's hardly like any other dog I've had or known. And my family had quite a few over the years.

I really don't know what I'd do in that situation...I'd be afraid of my dog not coming out of the surgery and not getting to have those last moments with him.

OK, gotta go now...too many emotions going on in this thread!
Old 10-28-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very sad. A friend of mine shot the following film about someone dealing going through the same experience. It's quite emotional, but I hope you find it cathartic.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOAcRKZxjy4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOAcRKZxjy4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-28-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hippie68 View Post
I have a twelve year old golden and about a week ago she stopped eating. I brought her to the vet and he found a mass on her spleen. He told me this was common in goldens and there is a seventy percent chance it is malignant. The only way to tell for sure is to have her spleen and the mass removed. I have already spoken with the vet and told him that if he finds out she does have cancer when performing the surgery I want to have her put down then. It would not be humane to have a twelve year old dog recover from the surgery just to battle cancer. I am trying to be positive and pray that she will be in the thirty percent but I just can't get myself to believe it. The only positive things I can think of is that if she does not come out of the surgery she will never have to go through any pain and that I have been blessed with twelve years of perhaps the best companion I will ever have.

That sucks man, Just know that you and your buddy has had 12 great years together, hang in there.
Old 10-28-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by filmerp View Post
Very sad. A friend of mine shot the following film about someone dealing going through the same experience. It's quite emotional, but I hope you find it cathartic.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOAcRKZxjy4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EOAcRKZxjy4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
This kind of stuff makes me tear up pretty quick
Old 10-28-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Very sad. I hope your dog is one of the 30%.
Old 10-28-10, 02:03 AM

Does he have a "Barket" List????
Old 10-28-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

sorry to hear that, hope all works out
Old 10-28-10, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Cocker is only 5, and I tear up right now just thinking about him going when it's his time...he's my buddy.
Old 10-28-10, 08:28 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I think all the pet lovers here are thinking of you hippie. You are a good buddy to your furry pal.
Old 10-28-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I never had a dog growing up and got one when I moved into my house. I wasn't prepared for just how attached you can get to something that isn't human. She's 10 now and I dread the day something like this would happen to her.

Hope it works out for the best.
Old 10-28-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best of luck OP. I teared up at the thought because I've been there too many times. Not looking to the next 2 times I'll have to go through it. (I won't even watch the video; I know what'll happen.)

I hope, somehow, things are fine and she comes out well and recovers for some more time with you. If not, at least you know you saved her a tremendous amount of suffering. Best wishes.
Old 10-28-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm so sorry. I hope your golden is one of the lucky ones. (hugs)
Old 10-28-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the kind wishes everyone. Here is a recent picture of her. She is so pretty
I also have a four year old golden so of course I am concerned about him if Zoe passes.

photo

Last edited by hippie68; 10-28-10 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added text
Old 10-28-10, 10:39 AM

(((Hugs)))
Old 10-28-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn so sorry I hope it works out.... That movie made me tear up big time here at work. Now I gotta pretend I'm yawning.
Old 10-28-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, that video was pretty intense...
Old 10-28-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

hippie - You are making the right decisions. Your dog has a good owner.
Old 10-28-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I never had a dog growing up and got one when I moved into my house. I wasn't prepared for just how attached you can get to something that isn't human. She's 10 now and I dread the day something like this would happen to her.

Hope it works out for the best.
Yeah, my oldest dog is 14. She is having a hard time walking these days... It's a shame their lives are so short.
Old 10-28-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hippie, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I had to have my oldest cat, Thisbe, put to sleep a couple of weeks ago and it tore me up. She was 14.

Also, one of my other cats, Mascara, had a lump in her chest a few years ago that had an 80-90% chance of being malignant. Turned out to be benign. I hope Mascara's luck rubs off on you.

If it doesn't, know that giving your pet a humane end to life is one of the greatest gifts you can give. Please give a scratch between the ears from Auntie Vibs. She loves dogs, too. *whispering so five little sets of kitty ears don't hear this*
Old 10-28-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Yeah, my oldest dog is 14. She is having a hard time walking these days... It's a shame their lives are so short.
Here is something that I read a while back that makes my heart melt.

" We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering
aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are Shorter than human
lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned
me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.
He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life
-- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The
Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they
don't have to stay as long.'
Old 10-28-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw man, the situation you're in is so freakin' sad. I read this last night but couldn't respond and am havin' a hard time now. I seriously hope that your sweet dog is able to pull through, but I feel you've made a good (and amazingly difficult!) decision by not letting her suffer if things turn out the wrong way. Stay strong and keep hoping for the best. Peace.
Old 10-28-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the fuck do I read these threads?

Just thinking of this happening to my two little best buddies makes me well up. Many thoughts and well wishes your way. Hope it all works out.
Old 10-28-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hippie68 View Post
Thanks for the kind wishes everyone. Here is a recent picture of her. She is so pretty
I also have a four year old golden so of course I am concerned about him if Zoe passes.

photo
Best of luck to you and your friend. As for the other dog reacting, when we put our dog down in July she was living with my mom & her 2 cats. It took them about a month to start acting normally again. Dunno if it's same with dogs, but he'll probably need some extra attention for a while.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.