Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Shark...dude!!

Old 10-26-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shark...dude!!

The water was so blue that day...

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Matthew Garcia was surfing two feet away from his friend who was bodyboarding when he heard a desperate cry for help. Within seconds, a shark flashed out of the water, bit into his friend's leg and pulled him under in a cloud of blood.

"When the shark hit him, he just said, 'Help me, dude!' He knew what was going on," Mr. Garcia told The Associated Press as he recounted his friend's death. "It was really fast. You just saw a red wave and this water is blue -- as blue as it could ever be -- and it was just red, the whole wave."

As huge waves broke over his head, Mr. Garcia tried to find his friend, Lucas Ransom, in the surf but could not. He decided to get help, but turned around again as he was swimming to shore and saw Mr. Ransom's red bodyboard pop up. Mr. Garcia swam to his friend and did chest compressions as he brought him to shore.

"He was just floating in the water," he said. "I flipped him over on his back and underhooked his arms. I was pressing on his chest and doing rescue breathing in the water. He was just kind of lifeless, just dead weight."

Mr. Ransom, 19, a junior at the University of California, Santa Barbara, had a severe wound to his left leg and died a short time later at Surf Beach, the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department said in a statement. The beach, 130 miles northwest of Los Angeles, is on the property of Vandenberg Air Force Base but is open to the public.

There have been nearly 100 shark attacks in California since the 1920s, including a dozen that were fatal, according to the California Department of Fish and Game. But attacks have remained relatively rare even as the population of swimmers, divers and surfers sharing the waters has soared.

The last shark attack on Surf Beach was in 2008, when what was believed to be a great white shark bit a surfer's board. The surfer was not harmed. The last fatal attack in California was that same year, when David Martin, 66, a triathlete, bled to death after a great white shark bit his legs off a San Diego County beach.

Federal and state fish and game officials were working to identify the type of shark that attacked Mr. Ransom, who was from Romoland, Calif., in Riverside County.

The ocean was calm and beautiful before the attack, with large wave sets that the friends had been tracking all week as they moved down the West
Coast from Alaska, Mr. Garcia, 20, said.

The shark, which breached the water on its side, appeared about 18 feet long, Mr. Garcia said.

"There was no sign, there was nothing," he said. "It was all very fast, very stealth."

Mr. Garcia and Mr. Ransom, best friends since they were on the water polo and swim teams together at Perris High School in Riverside County, had joked the night before about the chances they would be attacked by a shark, Mr. Garcia said. It was the first time either had been to that particular beach and they planned to surf until about 11 a.m. and then go to class, he said.

"We were just in perfect water, the waves were perfect, great barrels," he said. "It was picture-perfect conditions. You hear a surfer say, 'Oh, perfect waves' -- well, the waves do not get any better than they were today."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/24/us....html?_r=1&hpw
Old 10-26-10, 02:42 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Shark...dude!!

___|\___\o/___
Old 10-26-10, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could have been sea kittens.

Old 10-26-10, 03:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder how many of us would have gone back for our friend instead of just frantically swimming to shore.
Old 10-26-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went cage-diving with great whites in South Africa in April, and yup, I'm not swimming in the ocean again unless I'm in a cage. They're huge! Kinda cool to see them up close when you know you're safe though.
Old 10-26-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^
Safe? Clearly you didn't know your Diving company shopped at Don's Discount Shark Cages.
Old 10-26-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Blue + Red = Purple
Old 10-26-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nurple.....
Old 10-26-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
I went cage-diving with great whites in South Africa in April, and yup, I'm not swimming in the ocean again unless I'm in a cage. They're huge! Kinda cool to see them up close when you know you're safe though.
So you didn't know Great White Sharks were huge and dangerous before you went cage diving?

That's like going sky diving and then saying "I'm never jumping out of a plane again unless I'm wearing a parachute".
Old 10-26-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
So you didn't know Great White Sharks were huge and dangerous before you went cage diving?

That's like going sky diving and then saying "I'm never jumping out of a plane again unless I'm wearing a parachute".
Except if you skydive without a parchute then there is a 99.9 percent chance you will die. They chances are way, way, way, way higher to swim in the ocean and not die.
Old 10-26-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by glassdragon View Post
Except if you skydive without a parchute then there is a 99.9 percent chance you will die. They chances are way, way, way, way higher to swim in the ocean and not die.
Oh yeah I know. I was just busting his balls a little bit. I know the odds of being killed by a shark are one in a million. My point was that I don't have to go into a shark cage and look at Great Whites 2 feet in front of me to know that they're mean and scary and that you don't want to mess with them.
Old 10-26-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post

This is on my "Bucket List". I've been freaked out by sharks and going into the water, ocean water in particular, since JAWS. I have to face my fear.....
Old 10-27-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
The shark, which breached the water on its side, appeared about 18 feet long, Mr. Garcia said.
Unless you are Mr. T, you should not go in the water with a shark.

If you need further convincing... http://swimatyourownrisk.com/, who not too surprisingly has a couple of write-ups about the above attack.
Old 10-27-10, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I wonder how many of us would have gone back for our friend instead of just frantically swimming to shore.
Yeah, that's pretty impressive. I'd like to believe I'd try to rescue my friend, but I think there's a fairly big chance that any of us would have been trying to get out of there as quickly as possible. I don't really have a fear of sharks, but seeing someone being killed by one would probably change my mind.
Old 10-27-10, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Similar to the bear chasing you scenario....you don't have to be the fastest one in the group, you just can't be the slowest!
Old 10-27-10, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

His very last word in life was "dude". How tragic.
Old 10-27-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
His very last word in life was "dude". How tragic.
Would "Don't eat me, bro!" have been better? This is CA, after all.

Crazy, and shitty, as it is to have this happen to you, I can't imagine what was running through his friend's mind seeing all this. An 18-foot shark up close like that would be insane to see.
Old 10-27-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7 View Post
^
Safe? Clearly you didn't know your Diving company shopped at Don's Discount Shark Cages.
What do ya got there? Portable shower or monkey cage?
Old 10-27-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
What do ya got there? Portable shower or monkey cage?
What are you? Some kind of half-assed astronaut?