Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

365-Photo Challenge - do we have any photographers here who would be interested?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

365-Photo Challenge - do we have any photographers here who would be interested?

Old 10-22-10, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an awesome camera earlier this year (Canon T2i), and I've been reading up on interesting photography projects, and I've decided to commit myself to a "Picture-a-day for a year" project. I was sharing my thoughts and ideas with General Zod, and we thought it might be fun if there were some Otters who would like to join us?

We thought it might be good to have a weekly 'theme' for the photos as well. For example...some possible weekly themes might be:
Photograph something white (or other color)
Photograph with a pet included
Photograph with a car included
Photograph with a square item included
Photograph with a plant included...

The posibilities are rather endless. We plan on doing this ourselves (our first week's theme was 'something white') but thought it might be fun to include others. I've read from other folks who have tried this that it can become rather tedious after a while to come up with ideas...so I thought we could inspire one-another!

Anyone like this idea?
Old 10-22-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 365-Photo Challenge - do we have any photographers here who would be interested?

I have done this once before. Very hard even without a theme. I made it about 100 days before missed one.
Old 10-22-10, 05:29 PM
Banned by request

Re: 365-Photo Challenge - do we have any photographers here who would be interested?

I just got a Sony Alpha A33, so I'm very much down for this. However, my photographic abilities are firmly at the bottom rung, so as long as people don't mind that, I'm in!
Old 10-22-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm down for this. It'd be from my iPhone 4 but that doesn't make the project any less fun.
Old 10-22-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything so long as I use my camera for something...

and Zuffy should be excluded so he doesn't make my shot compositions feel like shit.
Old 10-22-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
I'm down for this. It'd be from my iPhone 4 but that doesn't make the project any less fun.
Ditto. Time to dl some cam apps.
Old 10-22-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be interested, but yeah, it'd be hard to keep it up every single day.
Old 10-22-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I'd recommend Hipstamatic and QuadCamera
Old 10-22-10, 06:00 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus View Post
Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Can we institute a "No Hipstamatic" rule? My Facebook feed is already choked with hipstamatic photos.
Old 10-22-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do we set a particular size or anything so that we can put things together easily? Or is it simply just post your pic?
Old 10-22-10, 06:17 PM
Banned by request

Would a Mobile Me gallery be big enough for 365 photos multiplied by the amount of members playing? Some of us are using DSLR's which will give you massive files.
Old 10-22-10, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mobile Me has a maximum of 500 per gallery

We could all open Photobucket accounts I suppose.. Although I think that site will reduce your photos.

Or just have folks post the photos here and they can use whatever the have available to host the photo.

If someone can suggest a theme for next week starting tomorrow I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-22-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Would a Mobile Me gallery be big enough for 365 photos multiplied by the amount of members playing? Some of us are using DSLR's which will give you massive files.
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

We could all open Photobucket accounts I suppose.. Although I think that site will reduce your photos.

Or just have folks post the photos here and they can use whatever the have available to host the photo.

If someone can suggest a theme for next week starting tomorrow I'd appreciate it.
Perhaps a MobileMe gallery for every week/month?
Old 10-22-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just bought a T2i this year too! This sounds very interesting, I would love to try it out!
Old 10-22-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

The only reason I'd like to have them hosted all together is that a thread here would end up just being random feeling. It'd be nice to see all the photos from one day together.
Old 10-23-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm interested in taking part
Old 10-23-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
The only reason I'd like to have them hosted all together is that a thread here would end up just being random feeling. It'd be nice to see all the photos from one day together.
Hey I'm cool with whatever. If someone wants to host a gallery that could handle a couple hundred photos and rotate to a new one every week I'll gladly take part in that.
Old 10-23-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I'd be interested, but yeah, it'd be hard to keep it up every single day.
Same here. Plus there are times, usually once a month, when I'm out in Kansas City visiting and it would be tough to upload the daily photo in addition to tweaking it.

So, I guess my question would be: do we have to post one each day or can we take one each day but upload 'em later?
Old 10-23-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm interested..but need a theme. and also what Tom Opus wrote..I can take pictures every day..but uploading them every day might be a problem.
Old 10-23-10, 02:02 PM
Banned by request

Wait, we have to tweak them, too? Oh man, my photos are going to look so amateurish.
Old 10-23-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Wait, we have to tweak them, too? Oh man, my photos are going to look so amateurish.
Hush, you and don't worry We're gonna enjoy your pics.

I was just talking about cropping or tilting. Here's an example:

I took this pic from a distance and I was on my stomach so there was lots more "background" info and it was slightly tilted. So I just made a few quick tweaks. Yeah, I could improve it more by spending a hour or 2 with adjusting contrast, saturation... even the dreaded gamma.
Old 10-23-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm in.
Old 10-23-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly, a 52-pic photo challenge would be MUCH more realistic logistically. I'd be in for that. Any excuse to fire up the D90.
Old 10-23-10, 06:42 PM
Banned by request

I agree, one picture per week (although anyone is welcome to post more if they wish) would keep this from faltering out halfway through.
Old 10-23-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can work with that. 52 Picture challenge, everyone?

Shall we start tomorrow?

What's this weeks theme?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.