10th infant dies of Whooping Cough

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-21-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/20...x.html?npt=NP1

CNN) -- Whooping cough, also known as pertussis, has claimed the 10th victim in California, in what health officials are calling the worst outbreak in 60 years.

Since the beginning of the year, 5,978 confirmed, probable and suspected cases of the disease have been reported in California.

All of the deaths occurred in infants under the age of 3 months, says Michael Sicilia, a spokesman for the California Department of Public Health. Nine were younger than 8 weeks old, which means they were too young to have been vaccinated against this highly contagious bacterial disease.

"This is a preventable disease," says Sicilia, because there is a vaccine for whooping cough to protect those coming in contact with infants, and thereby protect the infants.

However, some parents are choosing to not vaccinate their children. In other cases, previously vaccinated children and adults may have lost their immunity because the vaccine has worn off.

Why are parents skipping vaccines?

The vaccine "does not protect you for life," explains Alison Patti, a spokesperson for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Sicilia says California Health Department epidemiologists estimate 50 percent of the children who have gotten sick were infected by their parents or caregivers.
As a new parent, I am glad that our son got the DTaP shot as well my spouse and I. Wouldn't even know how to handle losing a newborn like that.

Last edited by superdeluxe; 10-21-10 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-21-10, 11:28 AM

Re: 10th infant dies of Whopping Cough

To be fair, it's very confusing for new parents. On one hand, you have your pediatrician urging you to get vaccines. On the other, you have a Playboy Playmate screaming that vaccines cause autism. Who to believe?
Old 10-21-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So it looks like most of these deaths could have been avoided if the parents got their vaccines updated?
Old 10-21-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean you didn't listen to Jenny McCarthy, world renowned expert on vaccinations and avoid all vaccines for your newborn?
Old 10-21-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Which is more serious - a whooping cough or a whopping cough?
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
To be fair, it's very confusing for new parents. On one hand, you have your pediatrician urging you to get vaccines. On the other, you have a Playboy Playmate screaming that vaccines cause autism. Who to believe?
lol yeah, the very first thing my wife's OB doctor was telling her to get her DTAP shots before the baby was even born. Both of us had our shots within the past 2 years so we didn't have to get it
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
So it looks like most of these deaths could have been avoided if the parents got their vaccines updated?
Yes...That is why my wife's OB was hammering us to get our DTAPs.
Old 10-21-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: 10th infant dies of Whooping Cough

Old 10-21-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/10/20...x.html?npt=NP1

As a new parent, I am glad that our son got the DTaP shot as well my spouse and I. Wouldn't even know how to handle losing a newborn like that.
I feel horrible about what I am going to post, you people have made me so jaded over the years...

Spoiler:
Jenny was right, without the vaccines these kids will never get autism now.
Old 10-21-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

You really have to weigh the unlikelihood of your child getting Whooping Cough over the near certainty that if you do get the shot, they will end up with autism.
Old 10-21-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

good thing all legit day cares require your kid to have all of their shots
Old 10-21-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
You really have to weigh the unlikelihood of your child getting Whooping Cough over the near certainty that if you do get the shot, they will end up with autism.
Old 10-21-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It depends....is the Playmate naked (and not over the hill)?
Old 10-21-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These anti-vax nutjobs raise the risk for everybody else. Once the number of vaccinated individuals drops below a certain % of the total group, the vaccine is ineffective. If Jenny McCarthy gets her wish, we will all be at risk. Not just those who forgo the vaccine.

That is why it is so important that everyone get vaccinated. Weighing individual risk is a very self-centered way of dealing with the problem.
Old 10-21-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Line up the unvaccinated people and shoot them.
Old 10-21-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm all for slapping around the anti-vax nutjobs, but it's not yet clear that they are to blame in these particular cases.
Old 10-21-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it is pretty sad that people still think vaccines give kids autism. There should really be a test to have kids. I've yet to hear a plausible explanation regarding why autism hasn't dropped off since the chemical (which is harmless) they wanted was removed from vaccines.

And it's not just Jenny who spouts this sort of nonsense... Both Oprah and McCain have publicly said the same thing.
Old 10-21-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
Weighing individual risk is a very self-centered way of dealing with the problem.
There isn't really a individual risk involved.
Old 10-21-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone see the episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit! on vaccines and autism? Check it out. There is absolutely no link. But you all knew that. Seeing the anti-vacc lunatics is pretty entertaining though.
Old 10-21-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Anyone see the episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit! on vaccines and autism? Check it out. There is absolutely no link. But you all knew that. Seeing the anti-vacc lunatics is pretty entertaining though.
Love their showing the difference between having a vaccination and not by using a plexiglass wall for the with and nothing on the without and throwing baseballs.
Old 10-21-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a lunatic brother in law with a son with autism who is an anti-vacc nutjob. I've talked about him before on here. He also sells Amega healing wands, Kangen miracle water and is trying to get my mother in law to sue her daughter (my wife) for fraud and elder abuse because she deeded a house over and now wants it back. Suffice it to say, his son's autism has affected him more than it affected the kid.
Old 10-21-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

so the government tells us that children need vaccines and we all lineup to get them and all of a sudden autism becomes a huge problem. Its ok, we can all trust the government. They always tell us the truth. Its not like they are in bed with these medical companies or anything right?
Old 10-21-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
so the government tells us that children need vaccines and we all lineup to get them and all of a sudden autism becomes a huge problem. Its ok, we can all trust the government. They always tell us the truth. Its not like they are in bed with these medical companies or anything right?
a new study links autism to the use of infertility drugs. sounds legit because most autism cases occur in upper middle class households
Old 10-21-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

all this shit causes autism. infertility drugs, vaccines, chemicals in our food. no doubt in my mind.
Old 10-21-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
all this shit causes autism. infertility drugs, vaccines, chemicals in our food. no doubt in my mind.

I still think it is caused by breast milk.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.