Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I walked a half-marathon this past Sunday!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-20-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few co-workers have walked in the Detroit Free Press Marathon for the past five years and this year I decided to join them. I also told an old high school friend who is a marathon veteran (and ran her 10th full marathon in Chicago on 10-10-10). Since the Free Press marathon crosses over the Ambassador Bridge to Canada and back through the tunnel to Detroit, she thought it would be a cool idea and signed up to walk the half with me.

This decision was made five months prior to the date, but unfortunately I procrastinated to a great extent and wasn't fully prepared. As the date drew closer I seriously doubted my ability to finish and expressed as much to everyone. No one was hearing my whining or excuses and assured me that since I got my OK from the physician and was in reasonable health, if I took it slow I could finish. A few days before the race I got my head in the game. I decided that instead of bailing, it would be more honorable to at least give it a try.

And I finished!! My friend was extremely helpful in calming my jitters, she was tired from the marathon the week before so we were both walking very slow with the Last Chance bus on our tails pretty much the whole time.

I had a blast crossing the bridge (although the steady incline was tough) and the sense of accomplishment I felt crossing the finish line (in 4 hours and 4 minutes) with my friend and co-workers cheering me from the sidelines is something I'll never forget!!!

Now I think I'm hooked and planned on doing half-marathons and shorter walks, but I'm going to get on track with proper training. I feel like I've been beat up I'm so sore. I'm looking forward to becoming an overall healthier person as well.

Old 10-20-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: I walked a half-marathon this past Sunday!

Congratulations! Look into Team in Training if you want some structured training. I walked a full marathon with them a few years back and had lots of fun and made lots of new friends.
Old 10-20-10, 10:28 AM

Great job! I hope it was a fun course, and you had people to talk to along the way.
Old 10-20-10, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Great job! I hope it was a fun course, and you had people to talk to along the way.
It was gorgeous! Up the Ambassador Bridge over the Detroit River and along it on both sides. The weather was great, no humidity, 65-degrees. We got to see some areas of Detroit (in Corktown) that I'd never seen in my 40 years of living here and they were really the opposite of what you'd expect, quaint and charming little houses with families on their lawns holding signs cheering us on.

My friend chatted with me the entire way. I hadn't seen her in 10 years so we caught up and the camaraderie among the entire group was amazing.

Thanks for the advice, chente. I believe I really need a more structured training schedule for the next one.
Old 10-20-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is awesome!!

Have you considered running a half?

I only took up running last year and swore I'd run only 5k (3.11 miles). And I've been doing just that. But after running in a couple of 5k races (fun runs), I've have to admit, I've thought about a 10k and half marathon.

For running or walking, check out the C25K program. It is designed to take you from couch to 5k run in 9 weeks. But you can use it for walking to improve speed as well (instead of running when it says to run, just walk faster).
Old 10-20-10, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
That is awesome!!

Thanks!

Have you considered running a half?

I only took up running last year and swore I'd run only 5k (3.11 miles). And I've been doing just that. But after running in a couple of 5k races (fun runs), I've have to admit, I've thought about a 10k and half marathon.

For running or walking, check out the C25K program. It is designed to take you from couch to 5k run in 9 weeks. But you can use it for walking to improve speed as well (instead of running when it says to run, just walk faster).
I'd like to run a couple of 5Ks next year, walk a couple of half races next year as well. Running the half is certainly a long term goal of mine, but I'll progress up a bit slower (with a 10K probably).

Yes, I have the C25K program printed at my desk. Once I stop hurting I think I'll start with that.

What half-marathon are you looking at running?
Old 10-20-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did a full marathon a few years, and although I missed my goal of 3:30 for the full 26 miles by ten minutes, I felt really good when I crossed that finish line as the weather hampered everyones times, I had never seen so many limping runners after a race

Ive done a couple halfs in the past as well... keep up the good work and start adding some running to them
Old 10-20-10, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by lewisb73 View Post
Ive done a couple halfs in the past as well... keep up the good work and start adding some running to them
Will do! I did about 3 minutes of running to keep from being swept off the course and boy did I get winded. I think the C25K program will help with that part.
Old 10-20-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was curious exactly what the Last Chance bus was so I googled '"last chance bus" marathon' and this thread was the top result.

Good job, iggystar!
Old 10-20-10, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
I was curious exactly what the Last Chance bus was so I googled '"last chance bus" marathon' and this thread was the top result.

Good job, iggystar!

It's basically the very end of the pack of runners. At a certain point the bridge and tunnel have to reopen so if you're not keeping up, they make you get on the bus and that's the end of your race.

It's the last chance for you to continue on.
Old 10-20-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In my mind I picture a big shovel as wide as the street in front of the bus and it just scoops up the runners that can't keep up.

Congrats! I'm planning on doing one of those organized race thingies next year. Ran my first mile this morning in a long long time.
Old 10-20-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh man, that is pretty funny about the last chance bus... Ive never been in any races big enough that have had them living down here in the south
Old 10-20-10, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by lewisb73 View Post
Oh man, that is pretty funny about the last chance bus... Ive never been in any races big enough that have had them living down here in the south
It actually was kind of funny, even during the race. Right in front ot the Last Chance Bus was the Last Chance Pacer...Pacer Jim. As we fell behind he would shout, "Ladies, we need to move a bit faster so we can get to the tunnel in time!"

Every few minutes I would ask, "Is he still behind us?" and she would give me the update. At that point we jogged a bit to put some distance between us and him. Eventually we both had to use the bathroom, but I didn't because I was scared of the bus (she did and caught up with me running).

When we made it to the tunnel, we started hearing this car behind me and I yell, "Is that the bus!!!???" I was like some horror movie.

Thankfully back on the US side Pacer Jim came up, chatted and left us to keep chugging along.
Old 10-20-10, 04:49 PM

Another term I've heard for that bus is the "sag wagon."
Old 10-20-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Iggystar
Old 10-21-10, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Iggystar
Thanks.