Old 10-20-10, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Creepy Kids Books.

Old 10-20-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a book that I thought was particularly creepy when I was little. It was kind of like Funny Games for children, with a tacked-on happy ending.

Here's how I remember it. Two kids are alone in the house. A weird creature comes to the door and bullies his way into the house. Once inside, he starts breaking things and making jokes about it. The kids are scared. He brings in two of his buddies, and the three of them trash the inside of the house while the kids look on in shock. The climactic picture is a two page spread of one creature flinging paint everywhere, once creature running the lawn mower indoors, and the goldfish in fear for her life as her bowl is about to be knocked over.

Spoiler:
Old 10-20-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 10-20-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The local library keeps "Heart of Darkness" in the children's section.

Incidentally, cpgator, you're hotlinking to my site. That's okay, though, because that page never gets any traffic anyway.
Old 10-20-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This one creeped me out.

Old 10-20-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There was a book that I thought was particularly creepy when I was little. It was kind of like Funny Games for children, with a tacked-on happy ending.

Here's how I remember it. Two kids are alone in the house. A weird creature comes to the door and bullies his way into the house. Once inside, he starts breaking things and making jokes about it. The kids are scared. He brings in two of his buddies, and the three of them trash the inside of the house while the kids look on in shock. The climactic picture is a two page spread of one creature flinging paint everywhere, once creature running the lawn mower indoors, and the goldfish in fear for her life as her bowl is about to be knocked over.

Spoiler:
I thought that was creepy when I was little too. Also, the book where one guy goes to great lengths to force his disgusting breakfast on another guy.

The Lorax also creeped me out, but I think it was more the guy putting coins into his finger than the environmental message.
Old 10-20-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hands down ... Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories, by Arthur S. Maxwell. If you ever sat in the waiting room of a pediatrician's office in the 1960s or 1970s, you saw at least Volume 1 of this 20-volume set. It was written by a Seventh-Day Adventist guy who wanted to teach children Biblical and moral lessons in the context of modern-day stories and historical stories about people.

If you're morbid like me, the story from Volume 1 you remember the best is about the little boy who was rushed to a hospital after a car accident and his roommate showed him how to hold his hand up so Jesus would come and get him. They propped it up with a pillow and boom, next day the kid was dead.

I own the entire set, of course. Cost me a small fortune on Amazon.
Old 10-20-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How positively Victorian! I will have to check that out.
Old 10-20-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-20-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When it comes to creepy kids books, nothing beats the German classic Struwwelpeter (girl burns to death for playing with matches, boy won't stop sucking his thumbs so a roving tailor cuts them off, rabbits scalded to death by hot coffee...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struwwelpeter
Old 10-20-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
This one creeped me out.

My kid loves this book and it's horrifying. And the author is a terrible writer.
Old 10-20-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-20-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just because I know Clifford has to poop sometime.
Old 10-20-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
My favorite:

I guess that's supposed to be daddy looking out a window, but it looks like me propped up in front of my home theater. Maybe I shouldn't drink so much.
Old 10-20-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The local library keeps "Heart of Darkness" in the children's section.

Incidentally, cpgator, you're hotlinking to my site. That's okay, though, because that page never gets any traffic anyway.
Somebody needs to talk to your librarian, you all read some strange books when you were kids.
Old 10-20-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

(I feel a rumbly...but it ain't in my tumbly! )
Old 10-20-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I thought that was creepy when I was little too. Also, the book where one guy goes to great lengths to force his disgusting breakfast on another guy.

The Lorax also creeped me out, but I think it was more the guy putting coins into his finger than the environmental message.
I kind of like the book about the breakfast, know that one by heart, but what about the one where Horton is talking to the dust balls, nw that one is a little scary, cause Horton needs to put down the bong.
Old 10-20-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This one creeped me out.

I remember that book as a kid to an extent. Could someone please refresh my memory with a synopsis as to what it was about?
Old 10-20-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I remember that book as a kid to an extent. Could someone please refresh my memory with a synopsis as to what it was about?
I haven't read it for 40 years, but here's how I remember it.

Sylvester finds a magic wishing pebble. He plays with it, and it works great. When a tiger (or something) walks by, he gets scared and wishes that he were a rock, which is the most invulnerable thing he can think of. Poof! He's a rock, and the magic pebble rolls off the rock and he's no longer touching it anymore. He's trapped in the form of a rock.

His parents come looking for him, but can't find him, because he's a rock. He tries to call out to them, but can't. Eventually, people give up searching. Fall comes, then winter, spring, and summer. A bird lands on him, and flies away again. The magic pebble is right there, only a few inches away. Sylvester is very sad.

Quite some time later, Sylvester's parents like to sit on the rock. One day, his mother spots the magic pebble. She picks it up, because Sylvester would have liked it. Mother and father lament that Sylvester is gone, while they're sitting on Sylvester. Mother cries. Sylvester would very much like to say something to comfort her. Mother says, "I wish Sylvester were back." Since she has the magic pebble, Sylvester transforms back into his own shape. Group hug. End.
Old 10-20-10, 05:57 PM

That book is awesome. It's like a Twilight Zone episode for kids.
Old 10-20-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Donkeys can't pick up pebbles, that book is so unrealistic.
Old 10-20-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sylvester finds a magic wishing pebble. He plays with it, and it works great. When a tiger (or something) walks by, he gets scared and wishes that he were a rock, which is the most invulnerable thing he can think of. Poof! He's a rock, and the magic pebble rolls off the rock and he's no longer touching it anymore. He's trapped in the form of a rock.

His parents come looking for him, but can't find him, because he's a rock. He tries to call out to them, but can't. Eventually, people give up searching. Fall comes, then winter, spring, and summer. A bird lands on him, and flies away again. The magic pebble is right there, only a few inches away. Sylvester is very sad.

Quite some time later, Sylvester's parents like to sit on the rock. One day, his mother spots the magic pebble. She picks it up, because Sylvester would have liked it. Mother and father lament that Sylvester is gone, while they're sitting on Sylvester. Mother cries. Sylvester would very much like to say something to comfort her. Mother says, "I wish Sylvester were back." Since she has the magic pebble, Sylvester transforms back into his own shape. Group hug. End.
FUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCC*********

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That book is awesome. It's like a Twilight Zone episode for kids.
friggen-A bubba.
Old 10-20-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

all through the book, I kept thinking ... Sylvester is a jackass.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.