Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Who in this Forum used to be "The Bully," and who was "Teased & Harrassed" in school?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Which were you in school?
I was the Bully
2.06%
I was Teased & Harrassed
36.08%
I was neutral - nobody bothered me, and I bothered nobody
48.45%
I was friends with ever'body!!
13.40%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Who in this Forum used to be "The Bully," and who was "Teased & Harrassed" in school?

Old 08-31-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was teased and harrassed from the fifth grade through the eighth grade. But things changed in High School because I went to a school where there were all new kids. All the assholes went to the public high school, so thank you Mom and Dad for putting your dollars together to send me to a Catholic Business School.

And just so you know, I got teased and harrassed because I found myself as "the new kid" in the fifth grade, going to a new school. It didn't help that my neighborhood bully was in that very class with me. He helped turn the tide against me, and it continued all through middle school.

The problem was - none of them raised their hands to me. It was all "vocal," and I wasn't sharp enough to retort back. And I couldn't just punch them out, because I was brought up different. Perhaps I should have. Perhaps I should have. And I would have, if I could go back in time.
Old 08-31-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Who in this Forum used to be "The Bully," and who was "Teased & Harrassed" in sch

<------teased
Old 08-31-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Who in this Forum used to be "The Bully," and who was "Teased & Harrassed" in sch

I would say I was friends with everybody through eighth grade, then was off to a Catholic all boys HS, so I didn't really care much who liked me since what did I care if a bunch of rich overpriveleged guys liked me. Financial aid and scholarships allowed me the "opportunity" to go there, so no I wasn't one of the rich privileged kids. I had a few friends, but I mostly just hung out with people where I grew up.
Old 08-31-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

teased
Old 08-31-10, 10:33 AM

I was a test subject.

Once around 10 years old this kid spit on me. I picked him up and threw him at the wall, so that was the end of that.

Once around 12 years old, this kid was leader of a gang of 3, he kicked my bag of books. I then picked up his bag and threw it away as hard as I could and told him to go get it.

I'm never aggressive, but if I'm mistreated I WILL retaliate with more serious actions. I do NOT let people mess with me. I'm very serious about that, though I can't recall the last time people tried to seriously mess with me.
Old 08-31-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Black View Post
I'm never aggressive, but if I'm mistreated I WILL retaliate with more serious actions. I do NOT let people mess with me. I'm very serious about that, though I can't recall the last time people tried to seriously mess with me.
Did you grow into a Big Guy? An intimidating guy? Or are you an affable guy?

At least you had physical actions done against you. But what did you do in situations where it was just 'bad words?'
Old 08-31-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A little bit of both.

I was definitely picked on, but that may have been the reason why I was harsher to kids who worse "less popular" than me. In any event, I was kind of a shithead as a kid, and don't look back at myself too fondly.
Old 08-31-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was from a small town and there weren't really any of the cliques. I was in band, theatre, multiple sports (even though I sucked), played D&D...whatever, nobody cared.
Old 08-31-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also a little bit of both.

During the elementary school years I went to a predominantly "other-race" school I was taunted with the "n" word for a time, then in middle school I was teased because I was tall, skinny and a bit of a nerd.

Nothing that made me want to go on Jenny Jones or anything.
Old 08-31-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In middle school I was athletic enough to make the various sports teams, but I was low man on each team because I was a nerd in the honors program. I hit puberty going into my frosh year and became a star athlete, so I could do what I wanted for 4 years. I don't think I picked much on non-athletes, but there was an established pecking order on each team that was upheld. I was in the weight room early each day and down in the team room during free time, so I didn't mess much with the general population.

I did ditch jock parties and my g/f to go to LAN parties with anime, though that was more of a change of pace. I didn't quite "get" anime, but I loved Quake, Duke Nuke 'em, etc. I also was on the all-academic team, though I rarely could make tourneys because of my sports schedule. I stuck out like a sore thumb at those things.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 08-31-10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-31-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Teased relentlessly in 6th grade because kids found out my first name (I go by my middle). By 8th I was picking on others, although not near as bad as I got it. It took the heat off me, because I was now one of them.

High school was neutral. Never bothered anyone, and no one bothered me.
Old 08-31-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wasnt necessarily a bully, but I did like to rough house a little too much. I loved Pro Wrestling, Ninja Turtles, and Power Rangers growing up so Id often be playing out those characters in school. I usually would like to go against the bigger guys though as I guess it was a validation point for me. I got in a few fights but never was a guy who teased people, took anything from anyone etc. It was always a more "You play too much" type of thing with me. My biggest transgression was when Pro Wrestling started doing all the mega groups (nWo, DX). We'd form similiar groups at school and since they were known for teaming up on people we'd do the same. It was never actual fighting though, just wrestling and fake fighting I guess. Some of the people we did it too were our friends, some werent.

I was a tall guy throughout school, usually the tallest or at least close and a bit of a class clown so I didnt get picked on. There was one incident when I became the new kid at a really rough school. Me and one guy got into it but I got the best of him and it almost seemed like an initiation of sorts. Then I was friends with every "stereotype" in school heirarchy so that helped. I was friends with the jocks, quiet ones, "nerds" (I dont like that term btw), popular people etc.
Old 08-31-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was a jock, but I'm a pretty nice guy so I stayed mostly neutral. Nobody picked on me, though. I was/am a pretty big dude.
Old 08-31-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A little bit of teasing in elementary school because I moved around a lot so I was frequently the new kid, and again a little bit in middle school but never anything that made me miserable, and some times I didn't even notice it. My senior year in high school there was a mini "reunion" of middle school folks and some kid came up and apologized for teasing me. I barely remembered him and what I did remember was of a sad kid with hardly any friends.

High school was great. I mainly hung out with the nerd crowd but I was friends with pretty much everyone and nobody ever bothered or harassed me.
Old 08-31-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was considered one of the class clowns so I was friendly with everyone. But I also went to a pretty small high school so everyone was pretty much neutral.
Old 08-31-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was kind of a nerdy kid, so I would get picked on once in a while. Never by the same person twice, because I usually threw the first punch.

One time I was hanging out with a couple of guys and we bullied this younger kid. Made him cry too. I felt so guilty about it almost right away, and still consider it a low point. Never did that again.
Old 08-31-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I started out being teased, then in 6th grade started filling out rapidly. At 13 I was 6' and 200 lbs. with a 12 shoe.

There's more to it than just that, but I'm fairly certain this kept the majority of random troglodytes at bay.
Old 08-31-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Teased and harassed. I attended school from 1970-1983, and until my parents put me in a private school in the winter semester of 1982, my school experiences were nearly all negative. The kind of bullying and harassment I had experienced in public school were simply not tolerated at the private school which I graduated from, so I had three semesters of relative sanctuary and tranquility.

Of course, the place was run by fundamentalist RLDS and Mormons, so it wasn't exactly a cake walk for a budding Sapphist, either.

I think one reason I got off on the wrong foot was where I went to elementary school--in one of the newest schools in my district, and one in which a lot of the other students were from quite wealthy families--where the fathers were lawyers, doctors, etc. The mothers tended to stay home with the children and also were about a decade younger than my parents on average (mine were nearly 40 when I was born, and I was the last of five).

My father worked in a steel mill and scrimped to care for us. My mother worked, which was quite unusual for that time and place. To make matters worse, I had some major health problems in my preschool years that landed me in the hospital more than once. This was in the days when parents couldn't stay with their kids all the time, only during visiting hours. I think that's one reason I ended up with severe separation anxiety which made it tough when I started school.

I was thinking about this very issue recently because I have several junior high friends on my Facebook page who I would definitely consider geeks or nerds like I was, but yet they have people on their friends lists who were cheerleaders, jocks, etc. I would never put these "popular" people on my list because most of them treated me like dirt all through school. Maybe that makes me immature and unforgiving, but it's how I feel. I'm not looking for apologies--but I'm not going to go buddying up with them either. I think Facebook brings out a little of the junior high mentality in all of us.
Old 08-31-10, 12:55 PM

Growing up in grade school, I think almost everyone tends to get both picked on and does a little picking themselves. It's just part of growing up. Even kids with the best parents in the world test both sides of the fence. Going into 7th-8th grade, there was one kid who never grew out of the bullying phase and I always seemed to be his target. Every year I seemed to get at least one class with this kid, he just seemed to follow me everywhere. High School was the last straw for me...he started his shit behind the school cafeteria one day, him and a couple of his buddies and me and just one of mine. Being fed up I punched him in the throat, when he turned around I grabbed him by the back of the hair and pulled him in to me and choked him down. I wasn't letting go until he promised he was done with his games.

This was the first and only time I ever laid my hands on someone in any physical altercation. I just had my fill. He never spoke a word to me again. Other than him, nobody ever bothered me, and I never bothered anyone else. I got along with everybody.
Old 08-31-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was teased and harassed. At some point along the line, I found myself bullying younger kids because it put me in the position of power.
Old 08-31-10, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hated going to school. I hated staying home.
Old 08-31-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know why, but when I saw the thread title I thought this was a game where we'd pick other forum members in an effort to guess who was likely a bully and who was teased.

As for me, I didn't lean too far in either direction. I probably did more teasing only because my it was (and still is I suppose) my nature to be the wisecracking guy who'd poke fun of others in a good natured way.
Old 08-31-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was big, but easy going. I was teased a lot, and it occasionally escalated to physical bullying, where I drew a line and wasn't so easy-going. Two wins, 1 draw, but neither those bullies nor their friends bullied me again. I didn't hurt them so much as embarass humiliate them. I actually got along with them OK after the air was cleared.

I was too much of a nerd to tease others in return.
Old 08-31-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I never picked on anyone. I just wanted to be left alone. A group of three bullies picked on me in seventh and eighth grade. From my home life, the only response I'd learned was to not resist, and to not give them the pleasure of knowing that they'd hurt me.

One day in eighth grade, I snapped and I attacked the biggest one. I would have happily killed him. He just curled up and covered his head. The teacher pulled me off him, and marched me into the boys room and kept me there until I settled down. The day after that, those three treated me with respect and tried to be friends, but I didn't understand, so I didn't respond. So they pretty much left me alone.

By then, I was the second biggest kid in my class, and I was quite weird, so I didn't have much trouble after that.
Old 08-31-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was friends with everyone, and I was always involved with student government. I was class president all throughout elementary school and Jr. High, and I was VP of Activities in high school -Basically any activity outside dances/formals. I was the one who managed pep rallies, sports rallies, and events on campus for students. I made birthday gifts for students. I made it so we could have a "dee jay" during the lunch hour that played KIIS FM, and fought almost all the way to the school board to get our lunch hour extended (I failed, but all the students and faculty were behind it). When our school went batshit after the school shooting craze, I was part of a student panel that had to tell off a bunch of parents.

I was also the peacemaker. I broke up a lot of fights, because no one wanted to fight someone so popular. Whenever I saw someone who was lonely or a new kid on campus, I always made sure to introduce them to a clique where they would fit in.

The funny thing is, I didn't have many friends in high school, didn't go to underage drinking parties, and spent most of my time at home playing video games. I never did anything stupid and illegal - in fact, I talked my senior class out of having a ditch day and from trashing the school, with a long speech about how much the school has given us and how we should give back to it, instead of showing how much we hate it, so we turned it around into having a teacher appreciation day.

It was a real shocker to everyone when I dropped out. I hardly if ever talk to anyone I went to high school with now.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.