Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Old 08-29-10, 02:21 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

I bought an older toy mint in the packaging about two weeks ago on eBay. The seller has about 25 positive feedbacks over his tenure so everything seemed legit. He e-mailed me 3 times in less than an hour after the auction ended telling me to "please pay" by Friday so he could mail the item out on Monday. This was on a Tuesday -- so all in all it would take him 6 days to ship the item (this wasn't stated in the auction or his selling terms). Well I always pay the same day the auction ends even though I know eBay allowed 72 hours. So I paid him and that was that.

Initially he was going to send it UPS but decided on USPS because I have a PO Box that I primarily use. He was charging $15 for shipping which seemed a bit excessive but I didn't say anything because I did agree to purchase said toy.

Well, he sent it Priority Mail because he didn't mail the toy out until this past Tuesday. So in a sense to rush it to me he paid Priority prices which came out to $15.02. To top that off, it had to have been the worst packaging job I've ever seen. This is a collector's toy which they only made one line of in 2004. It very rarely shows up on eBay still in the package. He threw it in a Priority Box with absolutely no protection at all -- no padding, bubble wrap, or anything. The packaging was dinged a bit at the ends and I was a bit miffed.

Still, I really want this particular toy so I said screw it. I didn't leave him any feedback because the only kind I would leave is negative for his poor response time and inability to properly pack a collector's item. I figure'd no feedback is better than that for him.

Today I get a message that he wants me to leave feedback and he wanted to know whether or not I got it yet. He had delivery confirmation and it says it was delivered. I honestly don't even think I should reply to the guy because I don't like dinging people but the guy is a terrible seller.

Would you bother even replying to him?
Old 08-29-10, 02:23 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

I would just not respond.
Old 08-29-10, 02:36 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Fuck him. As a seller he needs your feedback more than you need his. Maybe you should email him though and explain about the packaging so some other collector doesn't get screwed next time.
Old 08-29-10, 02:39 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,480
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

If you want to hurt him use the 5 star ratings. Those are the ones eBay really looks at now.
Old 08-29-10, 03:07 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,234
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

IDK, I'm certainly not an ebay guy, but if you got the product as advertised and within a reasonable amount of time (or by when they said), I'd give positive feedback and put in the comments about the packaging.

I know few read the comments. But still.

Did they leave you feedback? That is the part I always hated with ebay. The "I'll leave you feedback after you leave me mine"
Old 08-29-10, 03:31 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,431
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
IDK, I'm certainly not an ebay guy, but if you got the product as advertised and within a reasonable amount of time (or by when they said), I'd give positive feedback and put in the comments about the packaging.
I completely agree with this. I have been miffed before by poor packaging but if it got to me in a fair amount of time and the product is in the condition stated, I still leave positive feedback. I just put a quick comment about how the seller should better package something. I just wish ebay gave you a few more characters to work with as you run out of space quickly.

You also have the neutral feedback option as well but again, if it got to you in the condition stated, I don't see why you would leave anything but positive feedback. And there's nothing wrong with at least responding to the guy and letting him know you got the product.
Old 08-29-10, 03:59 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
I completely agree with this. I have been miffed before by poor packaging but if it got to me in a fair amount of time and the product is in the condition stated, I still leave positive feedback. I just put a quick comment about how the seller should better package something. I just wish ebay gave you a few more characters to work with as you run out of space quickly.

You also have the neutral feedback option as well but again, if it got to you in the condition stated, I don't see why you would leave anything but positive feedback. And there's nothing wrong with at least responding to the guy and letting him know you got the product.
I think the thing that needs to be considered is if a) the buyer is a collector, and b) if the damaged packaging will lower the value of the item. If he's just going to open it up and play with it then I agree, but if not and the damage to the packaging was not in the original description and/or picture then no feedback or even a neg is appropriate.
Old 08-29-10, 04:41 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 14,537
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

I'd leave neutral feedback.
Old 08-29-10, 05:17 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
IDK, I'm certainly not an ebay guy, but if you got the product as advertised and within a reasonable amount of time (or by when they said), I'd give positive feedback and put in the comments about the packaging.
Can't agree with this; when you have a person's money and are shipping them their item, you have to make sure it's well packed. It's just bad business to ship the item carelessly since you already have what you want. Even though mcfly got it intact doesn't mean the next person will, which is the point of leaving feedback, to inform the next customer what they can expect from said seller.

I would either leave no feedback or neutral. As a general rule, I wouldn't leave a negative unless the item is damaged or I lose money on the deal.
Old 08-29-10, 05:35 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

I ditto the neutral feedback.

It'd be one thing if it was a $5 used book with wear and tear...it is another when it is a collectable and dings on packaging matter a lot more.
Old 08-29-10, 05:46 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I would just not respond.
for once, i agree with Groucho.
Old 08-29-10, 05:59 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,234
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Can't agree with this; when you have a person's money and are shipping them their item, you have to make sure it's well packed. It's just bad business to ship the item carelessly since you already have what you want. Even though mcfly got it intact doesn't mean the next person will, which is the point of leaving feedback, to inform the next customer what they can expect from said seller.

I would either leave no feedback or neutral. As a general rule, I wouldn't leave a negative unless the item is damaged or I lose money on the deal.
So if you received the item exactly as advertised you wouldn't give positive feedback because something "could have happened"?

Again, I might not belong in this conversation. I have bought only a handful of items off ebay and never sold anything. But if I got what I paid for and as advertised, I can't image not giving positive feedback. Sure I might comment on packaging, but maybe not.

I've received crappy packaging from Woot, Amazon, Buy.com, etc. But only only complain if there is an issue, something arrived damaged.

And BTW the single best customer service of ANY purchase I have had came off ebay. I bought 6 used theater seats. I emailed the guy 2-3 times before purchase and the dude always emailed me back not only answering my questions, but anticipating concerns and installation questions. And more to this thread, one seat had a tear in it where something punctured the box and the chair. I emailed him a picture and dude sent me a new cushion no charge withing 24 hours.
Old 08-29-10, 06:12 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
So if you received the item exactly as advertised you wouldn't give positive feedback because something "could have happened"?

Again, I might not belong in this conversation. I have bought only a handful of items off ebay and never sold anything. But if I got what I paid for and as advertised, I can't image not giving positive feedback. Sure I might comment on packaging, but maybe not.

I've received crappy packaging from Woot, Amazon, Buy.com, etc. But only only complain if there is an issue, something arrived damaged.

And BTW the single best customer service of ANY purchase I have had came off ebay. I bought 6 used theater seats. I emailed the guy 2-3 times before purchase and the dude always emailed me back not only answering my questions, but anticipating concerns and installation questions. And more to this thread, one seat had a tear in it where something punctured the box and the chair. I emailed him a picture and dude sent me a new cushion no charge withing 24 hours.
But see many collectors of toys consider the packaging a very important part of the item. Damage to the packaging could make a big difference in the value of the item. If it wasn't a collector's item and only say a DVD that though may be displayed, doesn't really affect the value I may agree with you.
Old 08-29-10, 06:15 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stick out your tongue!
Posts: 39,347
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

^like DD said, this is a collector's item, and something hard to obtain elsewhere. the package ends were frayed. with collector's items, the box is very important, missing box, or damaged box, especially on a rare item, and the price goes down.
Old 08-29-10, 06:19 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,046
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

If the item was not advertised as a collectible/rare or if the seller was not aware you bought it because you were a collector, I don't think it's fair to give negative or neutral feedback. Maybe you could explain why you'd rather not leave feedback and see what he says. If the item was advertised as a collectible, then, yeah, negative feedback is warranted.
Old 08-29-10, 06:22 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
If the item was not advertised as a collectible/rare or if the seller was not aware you bought it because you were a collector, I don't think it's fair to give negative or neutral feedback. Maybe you could explain why you'd rather not leaving feedback and see what he says.
I don't know what the item was but I have to assume the seller knew it was rare and would be an idiot if he didn't know it was a collector's item.

The item was not as pictured. No feedback is the best he should be getting. If he sells these kind of things often I say other collectors need to be warned.
Old 08-29-10, 06:43 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
So if you received the item exactly as advertised you wouldn't give positive feedback because something "could have happened"?
Yup; if a person ships stuff that just rattles around in a box without peanuts or bubble-wrap, they are telling me that they don't give a shit whether it comes to me without damage, they have my money and that's all that matters. That means I have to take my chances with the shipping service that they care for the item. Not saying I'll give them a negative but I will either give no feedback or neutral.

It's such a big hassle to have to return stuff on eBay that shipping the item in good packing is simply the right thing to do.
Old 08-29-10, 07:34 PM
  #18  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

I'd say leave neutral feedback with a note why. If it was being advertised as mint, and in the process of sending it to you he dings it, then it's not what he advertised. It's not bad enough for negative feedback, but neutral with a note sends the message loud and clear.

I recently ordered an art print for someone off of Etsy. The seller shipped it immediately, and put it in a large manila envelope with the words "DO NOT BEND" stamped all over it. Well, the USPS lady didn't care and crammed it into my mailbox, but I didn't fault the seller for it. I did send her an email letting her know she should use heavier duty packaging, but I don't blame her for it. However, had she folded it into thirds and then threw it in an envelope, that's a different story.
Old 08-29-10, 08:34 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

I understand both sides to the story here. Thanks for the opinions.

My quarrel is yes, I'm a collector, and yes, the packaging matters. These things out of the packaging don't go for nearly as much as one that's mint in the packaging. I have no interest in playing with it, if I did, I'd buy an already open one given its age. The auction stated excellent condition which I wouldn't agree with. Just because it's old and still sealed doesn't mean it's "excellent". It's "Good" at best.

The guy sells collectible toys. All of his other listings right now are for hard-to-find and collectible memorabilia. The fact that it wasn't shipped in the time frame he quoted and the fact that he threw it in a box which resulted in higher shipping costs because he waited until the last minute is annoying. We both could have saved time and hassle if the item was well packed, even sent first class. I would have had no problem waiting -- the packaging is the most important thing.

That's why initially I thought no feedback would be better. I'm going to weigh out the options and see if he contacts me again.
Old 08-29-10, 08:36 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,885
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

I only had to leave negative feedback once for someone and he really deserved it. He sent me a poster which he claimed was a second print but it was a third (much less valuable) and then tried to act like I was the foolish one when I asked him about what was sent. He ended up writing me an email full of insane ranting and swearing at me after I wrote him feedback. I should of forwarded that stuff to ebay but I didn't want to be bothered with it anymore. Sellers can't leave you negative feedback these days but they could write something negative under their "positive" feedback in caps. If you're satisfied enough with it that you don't want to return it, I wouldn't bother writing anything.
Old 08-29-10, 09:15 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,234
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Yup; if a person ships stuff that just rattles around in a box without peanuts or bubble-wrap, they are telling me that they don't give a shit whether it comes to me without damage, they have my money and that's all that matters. That means I have to take my chances with the shipping service that they care for the item. Not saying I'll give them a negative but I will either give no feedback or neutral.

It's such a big hassle to have to return stuff on eBay that shipping the item in good packing is simply the right thing to do.
Ok, guess, I'm just not an ebay guy. I just think if I get something I ordered, as ordered, then I'd leave positive feedback.

I'd agree with you if the listing said "carefully packaged to ensure safe delivery". But if all it says is "shipped via UPS", than I think the expectation should be that.

If the listing doesn't say "bubble wrapped" do you ask before buying? I would think that would be the thing to do.
Old 08-29-10, 09:17 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 29,234
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
But see many collectors of toys consider the packaging a very important part of the item. Damage to the packaging could make a big difference in the value of the item. If it wasn't a collector's item and only say a DVD that though may be displayed, doesn't really affect the value I may agree with you.
I have no argument "if the item was damaged or the box was damaged". I was replying to the person who I thought was saying they wouldn't leave feedback if an item was not properly protected even if there was no damage.

IMO, that is the issue. Was the item or items box damaged. If so than I don't care if they bubble wrapped or not.
Old 08-29-10, 09:24 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Sacramento, Calif.
Posts: 13,526
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
If the listing doesn't say "bubble wrapped" do you ask before buying? I would think that would be the thing to do.
Although I can see your point with saying that, sellers (especially ones that sell collectible items where original packaging means everything) need the common sense.

In my situation, the seller didn't ship it out the day as promised and thought rushing it to me via Priority Mail instead of Parcel Post was a good idea. Not taking the care of a paid-for item is silly. I've been using eBay on and off for nearly 11 years now and I've had a lot of sour experiences. This doesn't compare, but I've honestly never been asked by someone to leave feedback for them. I think that's a bit tacky. It's my discretion.

I also wouldn't say in my scenario that it arrived in the stated condition but I've dealt with returning items in the past and have been burnt so I think it's in my best interest to let this one be.

My main concern was leaving justified feedback. Clearly if he asked me to leave him some he is expecting praise in the form of a positive but he wouldn't get it.
Old 08-30-10, 06:29 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,505
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

More importantly, how did the mint taste?

Old 08-30-10, 08:36 AM
  #25  
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 9,634
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: YAET: Seller Requesting Feedback

If you can't in good conscience leave positive feedback because the item was not in the stated condition or shipping was not as stated in the auction, but you don't want to leave negative feedback because it really wasn't as bad as all that, the only alternatives are neutral or none. If you leave neutral feedback you can let the seller and others know that your auction didn't go the way you thought it should, yet not lower the seller's overall rating. If you leave none, then nobody knows anything was wrong and nothing will change.

Just my .02 cents worth, -kd5-

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.