Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Miners trapped for 4 more months need to lose weight [Update - Everyone rescued]

Other Talk "Otterville"

Miners trapped for 4 more months need to lose weight [Update - Everyone rescued]

Old 08-25-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk about a nightmare scenario...

COPIAPO, Chile " Just 35 inches around the waist " that's how skinny Chile's 33 trapped miners have been told they need to be to squeeze through the escape tunnel, the health minister said Wednesday.

Dr. Jaime Manalich said rescuers are applying a holistic plan to support the miners' well-being during the months it may take to carve out the tunnel, including exercise and other activities to keep them from gaining weight.

"We're working to determine a secure area where the miners can manage things. The space they're in actually has about two kilometers of galleries to walk around in," he said. "We hope to define a secure area where they can establish various places " one for resting and sleeping, one for diversion, one for food, another for work."

Establishing a daily and nightly routine is important, the minister said, adding that having fun also will be critical. The rescue team is creating an entertainment program "that includes singing, games of movement, playing cards. We want them to record songs, to make videos, to create works of theater for the family."

What the team doesn't want them to know is that they may be stuck below for up to four months. While the miners have a general idea that their rescue will take time, they haven't been given the details, Interior Minister Rodrigo Hinzpeter said Wednesday.

"I hope that nobody commits the imprudence of telling them something like this. We have asked the families to be careful in the letters they write," Hinzpeter said. "It's going to be very hard. We're going to have to give them a great deal of attention, care and psychological support."

The escape tunnel will be about 26 inches wide " the diameter of a typical bike tire " and stretch for more than 2,200 feet through solid rock. Rescuers also have to account for the space of the basket that will be used to pull the miners to safety, leaving little margin for error.

Most Americans couldn't meet the 35-inch limit " the average U.S. adult waistline is 39.7 inches for men and 37 inches for women, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The miners are believed to have lost significant weight during the 17 days it took for the outside world to re-establish contact.

They were getting more nutritious food Wednesday in the form of cans of a milk-like drink that has been enriched with calories and protein, and tastes like chocolate with vanilla. But it will be days before their digestive systems can handle solid food.

Even before rescuers contacted the men, the self-imposed rations were meager: two spoonfuls of tuna, a sip of milk, a bite of cracker and a morsel of peach every other day, enabling all 33 to stay alive on just two days' worth of emergency rations.

The rescue team isn't ready to let families talk directly with the miners yet, but Chilean President Sebastian Pinera asked their leader Luis Urzua in a call Tuesday what they needed.

"That you rescue us as quickly as possible, and that you don't abandon us," Urzua responded. "Don't leave us alone ... we hope that all of Chile shows its strength to help us get out of this hell."

"You will not be left alone, you have not been alone. The government is with you all, the entire country is with you all," Pinera said.

Urzua, 54, also described how the miners felt immediately after the mine's main shaft collapsed on August 5.

"It was frightening. We felt like the mountain was coming down on us, without knowing what happened. Thanks to God, we still hadn't gathered together to go out to have lunch. ... At 20 minutes before 2 (their usual lunch hour), the mountain came down on top of us."

"For about four or five hours, we couldn't see a thing. After that we saw that we were trapped by an enormous rock that filled the entire passage of the tunnel."

continued at link...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38852964...news-americas/
Old 08-25-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
re: Miners trapped for 4 more months need to lose weight [Update - Everyone rescued]

Well, I'd make the 35 inch waist, but I'm not sure why my shoulders come out to be. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle 4 months underground.
Old 08-25-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
re: Miners trapped for 4 more months need to lose weight [Update - Everyone rescued]

That's a tough call deciding if they should know the truth about how long they could be stuck. I think if I was down there, I'd wanna know. I'd rather know the true expectation than begin to wonder if I was being strung along because after a few weeks, I'd figure there was no hope and we were all just being told happy shit until we died.
Old 08-25-10, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that guy just pulled a number of his ass.

If you are in ANY kind of shape, your chest and hip measurements are larger than your waist. Also, your shoulders form more of an elliptical shape, and the major diameter of that ellipse has to be smaller than the diameter of the circular tube.

Finally, if you divide a 35" waist by pi, the diameter is under 12"; that should fit OK through a 26" tube. (Of course, that dimension is not really the problem.)
Old 08-25-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, they do have a steady supply of food/water/air/electricity and communication with the outside world, so with a daily regimen to keep them busy it should be a lot like sub duty.
Old 08-25-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's going to be a tremendous build up of poop in the corner.
Old 08-25-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

SterlingBen has an old septic tank he's not using...
Old 08-25-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Establishing a daily and nightly routine is important, the minister said, adding that having fun also will be critical. The rescue team is creating an entertainment program "that includes singing, games of movement, playing cards. We want them to record songs, to make videos, to create works of theater for the family."
That would make for an interesting version of The Tempest.
Old 08-25-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

They should do the next season of Survivor there.
Old 08-25-10, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it'd be really funny if we had some kind of huge global-thermonuclear war while they're down there...and everyone else dies...they're forced to tunnel themselves out and recreate society.

yeah, I've been drinking.
Old 08-25-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They should send a gun down there for those who don't want to hang out and play cards in a cave for 4 months.
Old 08-25-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most Americans couldn't meet the 35-inch limit " the average U.S. adult waistline is 39.7 inches for men and 37 inches for women, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
That's just a big pile of sad and pathetic rolled into one right there!
Old 08-25-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We are a country of fat asses getting fatter asses. Sad but true.
Old 08-25-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

So they have to lose some weight to get out. Not a big deal.

Take up jogging, hit the gym, avoid eating fast-food, etc. Basically get out and be active. The weight will come off.

Oh wait...
Old 08-25-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well they could run in place.

Old 08-25-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Four months? Is mine sex like prison sex? Do you get a pass on it once you're out?
Old 08-25-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Article I read on earlier this week about this said temps were 90-92F in there. That'd be what would drive me nuts....I like my room temp that central air provides.

Hope they get them all out well and soon!
Old 08-26-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
There's going to be a tremendous build up of poop in the corner.
They aren't trapped in the rescue room..they can go to some other areas in the mine and already designated a 'poop area' .
Old 08-26-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Leela: "Fry...animals poop in the corner."
Fry: "The corner? That's brilliant!"
Old 09-02-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, this is awkward....

(Sept. 2) -- Yonni Barrios may have been feeling trapped long before a landslide sealed him inside a Chilean gold mine last month.

As Barrios awaited rescue along with 32 other miners, his wife and his mistress met each other thousands of feet above, at a vigil for the men stuck in the mine. Marta Salinas, 56, says she heard the other woman calling her husband's name as families gathered to pray for the workers.

Salinas told told The Sun in London she was "horrified" but plans to keep her man. "Barrios is my husband. He loves me, and I am his devoted wife. This woman has no legitimacy," she told the British paper.

But the other woman, Susana Valenzuela, said she and the trapped miner will stay together. "We are in love," she told the paper. "I'll wait for him."

The Chilean miners have been trapped below the Atacama Desert since Aug. 5 and will likely remain there for months; rescuers have said it could be Christmas before the men are finally freed. But life for the miners and their families has continued to march on anyway, in spite of the 2,300 feet of rock between them.

Drama Above Ground as Chilean Miners Await Rescue
Old 09-03-10, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not that uncommon in Latin America.
Old 09-03-10, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For your wife and your mistress to meet while you're trapped below 1/2 mile of rock? Wow!
Old 09-05-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe they will start consoling each other, and Barrios will have an awesome Welcome Home party.
Old 09-05-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
For your wife and your mistress to meet while you're trapped below 1/2 mile of rock? Wow!
Sounds like good timing to me. He's a lot safer down there than he is at the surface.
Old 10-08-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like they could be out soon.
A rescue drill is 40 meters (about 130 feet) away from reaching 33 trapped Chilean miners and should get to them within 24 hours, the nation's mining minister said Friday afternoon.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americ...Top+Stories%29

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.