Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Sold house: what needs to be left behind and what shouldn't?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-25-10, 01:09 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sold our house and bought a new one. This was the first house I owned, so it's the first I have sold. I wasn't sure what needs to be left behind (I guess what is considered a fixture or landscaping). For example, what is the consensus on:

1. Wall mounts for LCDs. Do they stay or go?

2. Big (2' diameter) potted plants: are they considered landscaping?

3. Do you usually leave behind leftover paint? Shingles? Siding, etc.?

I asked my realtor and he said he wasn't sure about the first two, but would ask the buyers what they were expecting (and he said no on item #3). I'm sure they will now say they expected all of it to be left.

What's the general consensus?
Old 08-25-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Sold house: what needs to be left behind and what shouldn't?

All of that should go, IMHO. Unless you have fancy shingles or it's good replacement siding pieces. Then just leave those in the garage and they should be cool with that.
Old 08-25-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

#1 - Leave it, you'd rather have it up than to have them bitch during the final walk through about the holes in the wall. It saves you from filling in holes and painting.

#2 - Take them

#3 - You have no need for this material, they might. Leave it.

Last edited by sauce07; 08-25-10 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-25-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

If it is a lot of left over shingles and siding, I would think the new owner would want that as that stuff is expensive and may be hard to match. I would leave stuff that is screwed into the wall or stuck in the ground. I would think you can take the potted plants.
Old 08-25-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

take the pool.
Old 08-25-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1) Take it unless you have asked specifically and they want it left. I'd be pissed if someone left a wall mount for me to deal with. It's not the same as a fixture, it's a lot more like leaving nails in the wall for hanging paintings (which is not ok, obv).

2) Potted plants are yours.

3) Leave it if it is useful, but don't leave a TON without asking first.
Old 08-25-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd leave everything that's bolted to the wall. Unless you love the plants I'd leave those too. Paint and shit I'm never going to use I leave. But then again, I hate lugging around junk from house to house, i like to travel light.
Old 08-25-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
"Paint and shit I'm never going to use?"
I agree about the houseplants and tv mount, but paint should stay behind should repairs/touch-ups need to be done.
Old 08-25-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly - if it's useful to the homeowners, then leave it.

If it's just something you don't feel like dealing with...you should take it anyway. How would you like to deal with that crap when you move in? What the hell am I going to do with YOUR TV mount?

Good lord, people.
Old 08-25-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know, I'm kinda on the fence about the LCD mount. I mean we had to go to the trouble of having ours ordered and mounted; to contrast, when we moved into our house, the previous owners had put up cheap dollar store coat hooks in the dining area of the kitchen, and so they would stay put they used those types of drywall sinks that have the really long screw with the bit that closes, then opens up when you push it through the hole. That was really tacky to look at, and a bitch to get out. But an LCD mount isn't exactly chicken scratch.

And I'd definitely leave the shingles and paint if they were less than a couple years old, otherwise the paint might be separated.
Old 08-25-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Generally, if the contract doesn't specify what stays, legally, you can take it.

As far as 1) take it with you, unless you leave all the mounting hardware, it's going to be useless. Besides, they may already have their own, want it installed in a different position, need a different size, etc. 3) since the leftovers aren't useful for you, the new owners would probably appreciate having it.
Old 08-25-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, but from the tone of "paint & shit I'm never going to use", I'll bet the paint is more old & dried out more than Carol Channing.

...and "shit I'm never going to use" = trash. Cripes.
Well that depends on how old it is, how well it was stored, how much/little is in each can, etc.

The OP should go through it and sort out what's worth saving and trash the rest.
Old 08-25-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I definitely wouldn't leave the TV mount unless you ask them and they want it. Not everyone has a TV that can be mounted. Not everyone likes to mount a TV. If you leave it and they don't have any use for it, it's going to be one more hassle for the new owners.

Take the plants if you want them. They are yours.

The paint and shingles I would definitely ask the new owners about, unless you have a need for them in your new place. There's a good chance they would appreciate having them, but there's also a chance they would want to do their own thing with the place.

Basically, I think you have the right to take all of that stuff, but if you don't want any of it, ask the new owners but prepared to take all of it if they don't want it.
Old 08-25-10, 02:50 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fucking house plants?!?
Okay, I'm taking the potted plants outside. I wouldn't characterize them as "houseplants", they are large boxwoods in expensive pots. It sounds like no one considers them to be part of a house's landscaping, so that sounds good to me. There is probably close to $1000 worth of plants and pots throughout my yard.

Yeah, but from the tone of "paint & shit I'm never going to use", I'll bet the paint is more old & dried out more than Carol Channing.
The paint is all from this year. I had almost every room painted this year. Personally, I would want the building supplies I am considering leaving behind. Having extra shingles is always nice for when a huge windstorm takes off a tab. And I'd rather have paint around to touch things up than not.

I'm still torn on the LCD mounts. Since my realtor is going to ask, I'll let the buyers decide. They were not cheap mounts, so I would prefer to keep them. However, reading some real estate blogs made it sound like buyers expected them to stay with the house...
Old 08-25-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The extra paint can be used to touch-up any walls that were scuffed during the move. Shingles and siding can be used for minor repairs, without these little things the new owners could be out thousands.

When people mount a TV on the wall, they usually have a outlet box put in right behind to plug it in. If you take it down, then they will have a outlet at eye level in their TV room.
Old 08-25-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leave stuff like extra tiles/siding/roof shingles, stuff that the new owners might need down the road.
Old 08-25-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leave it all, let the new owners decide if they want it or not. If they don't they can easily throw it away.

As far as the shingles / paint goes, of course you would leave that. You would have no use for it and it would make a huge difference for the new owners if they ever need some touch-up paint or need to patch a portion of the roof.
Old 08-25-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mbs View Post

I'm still torn on the LCD mounts. Since my realtor is going to ask, I'll let the buyers decide. They were not cheap mounts, so I would prefer to keep them. However, reading some real estate blogs made it sound like buyers expected them to stay with the house...
This blows my mind. I have a 50-inch RP TV, so those would be useless to me. The odds of them having a TV that will work with your mount, in the space you wanted it to be, seem low.

Just take it down, fill the holes and touch them up. I can't even believe this is an issue.
Old 08-25-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they really wanted the wall mounts they would or should have asked for them. It should be pretty clear in the contract what is staying and what isn't. At least it was for me.

I bought my house several months ago. They left behind garden hoses (which I needed), a pooper scooper which I tossed, large plant pots (which I used), and some paint which I haven't had a need for yet.

Just ask your realtor to ask them if they want any of these things. If they say no toss them. They are going to have enough to do when they move in, they're not going to want to clean your left behinds. And if they are really picky it could cause an issue at the final walkthrough.
Old 08-25-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
This blows my mind. I have a 50-inch RP TV, so those would be useless to me. The odds of them having a TV that will work with your mount, in the space you wanted it to be, seem low.

Just take it down, fill the holes and touch them up. I can't even believe this is an issue.
For the most part, those wall mounts are universal

You don't think the odds are good that the new owner has a flat screen TV, 55" or below?

Pretty much everybody I know has a TV that meets those requirements.
Old 08-25-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What bothers me is the idea that your wife is even considering leaving the planters behind. Mine would make me rent an extra truck just for those if it came to that.
Old 08-25-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The last thing I want is for a buyer to throw a FIT because I took a TV mount they were counting on using. I'd rather err on the side of caution by leaving behind (because it is bolted to the wall) stuff like that. And most buyers would love to have some potted plants to add to the landscaping. Damn you guys are high maintenance. You dumpster dive for empty dvd boxes but you don't want a free happy, healthy, plant in your yard??
Old 08-25-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
For the most part, those wall mounts are universal

You don't think the odds are good that the new owner has a flat screen TV, 55" or below?

Pretty much everybody I know has a TV that meets those requirements.
And I don't know very many people who have a TV that meets those requirements.
Old 08-25-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whatever you do, clean out the damn garage. Last house I bought I wound up having to take a bunch of trips to the dump and hazardous waste dump to dispose of old dried up paint cans, old molding and various junk no one wants.
Old 08-25-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leave the gun. Take the cannolies.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.