Reload this Page >

YAST: My Kindergartener's 2nd Day

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I appreciate a lot of your comments on my job search thread, but this is a school thread with a whole new direction.

My little boy started kindergarten yesterday. Today he was all but officially labeled a bully and had the principal suggest a Behavior Modification Program. What happened? Well, I wasn't there for the incident or the meeting with the principal, but here's what I've gleaned from my wife:

Sometime late in the day the kids were having recess outside. It wasn't too long, because it has been really hot outside. At some point during recess, my son was playing with another little boy and they got into an argument. My son pushed the other boy to the ground. Not okay. Apparently this happened a couple of times. After that, the other boy, from the ground, grabbed my son's ankles and dragged him to the ground. When my son was confronted by a playground monitor about the incident, he got scared and ran, he managed to make it just out the front door of the school. His teacher managed to catch him in time.

He came back to class and the day continued. Shortly after that he remembered the incident and became upset again, for my son this is not uncommon, I'm not sure what it may mean, but I don't think it is that weird. At this point the asst principal came into the class to either comfort him or watch him, I'm not sure which. About this time my wife got a call about the incident, and her presence was requested for a meeting with the principal.

The principal, the teacher, and the playground monitor were all in attendance at the meeting. The playground monitor stated that my son was bullying the other child and managed to push him to the ground 3 times before she was able to intervene. She the proceeded to shame my son by repeating "you knew you were hurting that boy", when my son protested that he'd been hurt and dragged to the ground, the monitor said "you weren't hurt, he didn't grab you" and continued to deny his claims. He never claimed innocence, he was simply explaining the circumstances as his 5 year old brain saw them. The teacher acted similarly and blamed my son for the incident entirely, while she wasn't busy doodling on a piece of scratch paper. The principal mentioned a behavior modification plan to deal with my son's outburst.

My wife was holding back tears the whole time. I asked her on her way to the meeting if she wanted my there and she said "no", thinking they would just be explaining the incident and letting us know what happened. She was wrong, and she was bawling by the time she left the meeting.

Here are the things that are not certain:

My son says that the other boy was calling him names. This doesn't excuse the pushing, but it may explain the behavior. The playground monitor says she didn't hear any of that and denied my son's claim. The playground monitor also said that my son managed to push the boy down thrice before she could intervene, which leads me to believe that she was far enough away that she wouldn't have been able to hear any name calling that was going on. Again, the name calling does not excuse my son's actions, but it may explain them to a degree. I tend to believe my son, he hasn't denied that he pushed the boy, but he's not in the habit of lying about things like these. He doesn't fully comprehend the kind of trouble he could be in right now.

Here are some possible prejudices my wife and I could be fighting:

My wife is heavily tattooed and makes no effort to conceal her tattoos. I have quite a few, but most are hidden by clothing. Normally I don't think much of it, but we did get some sideways glances at "Meet the Teacher" night last Friday.

My son was VERY anxious about starting school. He has never been to daycare, he's always been either at home with my wife and I or with his babysitter who home schools her children. He is not used to a daytime schedule. When we attended the function on Friday, he literally saw his classroom and took a dash down the hall in the other direction. I chased him down and got him into the classroom and it took a good 15 minutes to get him settled enough to talk to the teacher and do a little coloring. After that he was fine and he talks at home about how much he likes her. His teacher's first words to my wife and I were "Is he always like this?", immediately indicating a predisposition to treating him like a behavioral case. We explained that he'd never been anywhere like school and he was extremely anxious. At no point did the teacher seem warm or inviting to my child, or to the others I noticed in the classroom. It may not just be him.

My son already has the eyes of the the school and administration on him because he has a pretty severe nut allergy among many others, so the teachers and staff are on the lookout for him and his safety. The principal and asst principal spoke to my wife for a good 5 or 10 minutes that Friday afternoon about him and his condition.

Here is what I am struggling with:

I am a big champion of the public school system. I had to fight with my wife about this, although admittedly a lot of this choice had to do with finances. I am really trying not to think of this as an institutional problem. My goal is to talk to the people in direct contact with my son and find out what we can do to help him. I refuse to have my 5 year old son labeled as a behavioral case on the second day of kindergarten, and if they try to make me sign an official behavior modification plan, they've got another thing coming. That is a stigma that could stick with him for YEARS and make him a target not only of present and future teachers, but also present and future classmates. I really think that his teacher is either biased against him OR disinterested in helping him. My first inclination is to request that he be moved to another class with another instructor, but I'm going to wait to talk with the principal before I do that. I get no vibe that his teacher has any interest in him as a person. My son is VERY smart, he's reading well above grade level, probably 3rd grade level, and if she doesn't take an active interest in him and keeping his brain moving, this will only get worse.

I'm really trying to avoid just going in and yelling at everyone and telling them to go fuck themselves, I'm better than that. This seems like an overreaction, please tell me I have a leg to stand on. I know we have teachers here, maybe even administrators. Give me something to chew on.
Old 08-24-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: YAST: My Kindergartener's 2nd Day

Originally Posted by zombeaner
The playground monitor stated that my son was bullying the other child and managed to push him to the ground 3 times before she was able to intervene.
Yeah, way to be on top of things

I wouldn't base important educational decisions on the observations of someone that calls themselves a "playground monitor."
Old 08-24-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't go in yelling. Be as calm as you can and talk with them about how you want to resolve this and that you think their reaction is extreme. If the meeting ends in yelling, so be it, but don't start out that way.

The thing is, coming in already worked up and flying off the handle might re-affirm in their mind (incorrectly) that they were completely right and it's the home environment that is causing this.

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post

I wouldn't base important educational decisions on the observations of someone that calls themselves a "playground monitor."
I remember when I was in elementary school, the 'playground monitor' caught a kid beating me up. I was given detention too. Her reasoning? "It takes two to tango."
Old 08-24-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a district close to my hometown that allows parents to sit in and observe the first 3-4 weeks of Kindergarten. This is an absolutely fantastic policy that I wish more districts would follow.

It is very difficult for young children to adapt to being alone for the first time in a new environment with individuals (teachers/kids) that they are not familiar with. If I was you I would ask if it would be possible to sit in for a few days to 'observe your child's behavior'. Their answer should tell you what's really going on.
Old 08-24-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No parent wants to believe their kid is a problem. Sounds like you are making alot of excuses for his behavior.

Why is your son pushing people down in the first place ? He should know by this age that name calling is not reason for physical violence. Even if it played out as you described the other kid did not retaliate until after the 3rd time your kid pushed him.

Your son ran away from authority figures several times, why does he not obey adults ?

You admit you have not properly prepared your son for school life.

The above suggestion of watching your kid at school for a few days seems good if you can be open and honest about what you see. But if your going in with the defensive position and want to rationalize every bad think your son does, your in for alot of hard years.
Old 08-24-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sad that we've pussified the school situation to where they have to have behavior contracts and other bullshit like this. kids are kids. they are going to fight occasionally.
Old 08-24-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is your son's only incident, I would think they are over reacting. They are 5 year olds, shit happens.

I'm less of a fan of public schools. Especially at an early age. Part of it is this exact reason. Private schools can handle these type situation much easier than a public school. In addition, private schools are much more open with parents allowed to visit and watch. Plus, the private schools have a financial interest. They want your money so they are generally more willing to work with you.

Both my kids went to private schools. My son thru HS. My daughter thru her freshman year in HS but is now in public. Why? The private school was doing a terrible with education. It is a mistake to think private schools teach better. But also as my daughter is really into cooking so she is in the Culinary Magnet. She started their as a sophomore and just started her Jr. year and and loves it!

So my point, don't automatically rule out private. Tho of course I'm very aware of the expenses.
Old 08-24-10, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson View Post
Don't go in yelling. Be as calm as you can and talk with them about how you want to resolve this and that you think their reaction is extreme. If the meeting ends in yelling, so be it, but don't start out that way.

The thing is, coming in already worked up and flying off the handle might re-affirm in their mind (incorrectly) that they were completely right and it's the home environment that is causing this.
Oh yeah, I know. I'm rehearsing what not to say right now to get it out of my system. My wife is insisting on coming with me to show that we are a united front. I think it might backfire because my wife is not docile, if she can let me do the talking, I think this will go more smoothly.
Old 08-24-10, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by greg9x View Post
No parent wants to believe their kid is a problem. Sounds like you are making alot of excuses for his behavior.

Why is your son pushing people down in the first place ? He should know by this age that name calling is not reason for physical violence. Even if it played out as you described the other kid did not retaliate until after the 3rd time your kid pushed him.

Your son ran away from authority figures several times, why does he not obey adults ?

You admit you have not properly prepared your son for school life.

The above suggestion of watching your kid at school for a few days seems good if you can be open and honest about what you see. But if your going in with the defensive position and want to rationalize every bad think your son does, your in for alot of hard years.
I would guess that you don't have kids.
Old 08-24-10, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
If this is your son's only incident, I would think they are over reacting. They are 5 year olds, shit happens.
He'd been at school for a total of about 9 hours of his life when this happened. Tagging him as a behavioral problem for the rest of his scholastic career at this point is a bit rushed. I have no problem with him being punished, time out, sent to another class to cool down, etc... However, singling him out as a persistent threat to the stability of the classroom in this was is completely inappropriate.

So my point, don't automatically rule out private. Tho of course I'm very aware of the expenses.
I wish it were an option. We applied to a couple of Montessori schools and were told there wasn't room, so we are moving to Richardson in 2 weeks to get him into what we hoped was a great school. On Thursday we got a phone call from one of the Montessori's saying they had a spot for him and we had to turn it down because we're halfway packed and leases are signed at this point. I'm really pretty upset about that at this particular moment.
Old 08-24-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Explain to your son that people will judge him by his actions and the next time he feels the need to push somebody down to not do it and tell the teacher / monitor, and you or your wife. Maybe teach him that first impressions are the biggest impressions so at this point he needs to be on his best behavior.

Reminds me of a friend who had an adopted son who got expelled from kindergarten for punching another kid, on two seperate days. He went to a Montesorri school for a few years before they had enough of him, and he went back to public school. He lasted until seventh grade, let's just say that my friend knew the administration on a first name basis. My "favorite" incident was when he was standing in line for whatever reason in sixth grade, got frustrated for whatever reason and just started ripping off his shirt and growling / posing like the Incredibe Hulk. And he was a big kid, probably the biggest in his class. The principal (a woman) happened to be walking by and asked "what is the problem here?" and he responded "It's none of your business, bitch." Apparently she did think it was her business. Anyway, he got kicked out again in seventh grade and was sent to an alternative school for kids with behavioral isses, he's now a sophmore and doing reasonably well due to the structure. I think he's bipolar (his biological dad was). And I'm pretty sure that the mom had a tattoo.
Old 08-24-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So uhm....how about the playground monitor not noticing the first 2 physical altercations? As a parent, I'd have a problem with that. I'll leave others to comment on the rest, as I get paid for that.
Old 08-24-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
He'd been at school for a total of about 9 hours of his life when this happened. Tagging him as a behavioral problem for the rest of his scholastic career at this point is a bit rushed. I have no problem with him being punished, time out, sent to another class to cool down, etc... However, singling him out as a persistent threat to the stability of the classroom in this was is completely inappropriate.
And that's what you need to get across in a calm manner.

Why didn't your child attend pre-school though? You may think it's a waste of time and/or money and they may not learn much in the way of actual education, but the kids learn how to interact with one another and treat each other with respect for a year or two which is important, as evidenced in your son's incident.

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
I think he's bipolar (his biological dad was). And I'm pretty sure that the mom had a tattoo.
Old 08-24-10, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Why didn't your child attend pre-school though? You may think it's a waste of time and/or money and they may not learn much in the way of actual education, but the kids learn how to interact with one another and treat each other with respect for a year or two which is important, as evidenced in your son's incident.
My wife and I disagreed about this. I was in favor, I went to pre-school. She was less positive about it, she wanted to keep him home as much as possible. I didn't really understand it and I always encouraged as many activities involving larger groups as possible. Ultimately it was a matter of finances. To say we are not wealthy is an understatement. We get by, we love our son and have always done the absolute best we could by him. I think if we could've afforded it, we'd have done it, but we never could. I really think it would've been helpful.
Old 08-24-10, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
So uhm....how about the playground monitor not noticing the first 2 physical altercations? As a parent, I'd have a problem with that. I'll leave others to comment on the rest, as I get paid for that.
How about the teacher allowing him to run out of the building? He's scared. He'd just been blamed entirely for this incident, he was upset about getting in trouble, he needed some comfort, and all he found were fingers pointing at him. He told us later that he ran out looking for his Mom. It breaks my heart, and I'm about to start crying about the fact that my son felt so threatened by the authority figures in that situation that he tried to run home. There was no calming hand.
Old 08-24-10, 11:57 PM

Explain to your son that people will judge him by his actions and the next time he feels the need to push somebody down to not do it and tell the teacher / monitor, and you or your wife. Maybe teach him that first impressions are the biggest impressions so at this point he needs to be on his best behavior.
We're trying to get this across to him. I think he may be at a disadvantage in this regard not having been in preschool. He's smart as a whip, reads like a champ, and academically he'll run circles around these kids, however, he is a bit immature, and that is where he needs help. He's never had to face this kind of structure before. Is that our fault, sure, but it is also part of a kindergarten teachers job to teach their students how to BE students. Will my son be a tougher nut to crack than someone who's been in preschool for a couple of years, absolutely, but he's no brute.
Old 08-25-10, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
There is a district close to my hometown that allows parents to sit in and observe the first 3-4 weeks of Kindergarten. This is an absolutely fantastic policy that I wish more districts would follow.

It is very difficult for young children to adapt to being alone for the first time in a new environment with individuals (teachers/kids) that they are not familiar with. If I was you I would ask if it would be possible to sit in for a few days to 'observe your child's behavior'. Their answer should tell you what's really going on.
I will ask about this. I get the sinking feeling that nothing will change unless he changes classes. The more I think about it, the worse I feel about his teacher.
Old 08-25-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you ever talked to a 5 year old?
Old 08-25-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
sad that we've pussified the school situation to where they have to have behavior contracts and other bullshit like this. kids are kids. they are going to fight occasionally.
This
Old 08-25-10, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will say upfront I have no kids and am just asking from my own personal experience growing up as a kid; did you let your son interact with kids other than close family, perhaps neighbors or cousins he didn't see very often?

I know as a younger child whose next closest sibling is 11 years older than me, the only reason why I wasn't a bully was because I got put in my place if I ever acted up and I learned from that. But I think I would have learned it as well if I interact with more kids than I did.

Honestly, the biggest thing is that you teach your son not to respond with pushing the kid back and it's better to tell a teacher. Yeah he'll get called a tattle-tale but as long as you don't make it a big thing, he won't care.
Old 08-25-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I would guess that you don't have kids.
Very dismissive answer...

For the record I have an almost 2 year old.. while that has nothing to do with school behavior, I do understand wanting to see the best in your kid. My mother did daycare for over 25 years (in house and at facility)..I have seen alot of different behaviors/temperaments in kids. I also know some teachers and have heard many stories about parents who don't want to believe their kids are the problem.

Maybe the school staff IS crappy, maybe the teacher IS cold and doesn't give a damn about your kid. Which is why suggested going to the school with an open mind and actually seeing how your kid behaves and how the staff interacts with him.

But the facts are, your kid did push down another kid several times... your kid did run away from an authority figure, your kid did act up later in class. You and your wife seem to have some 'conformity' issues, and sounds like you are very defensive about that. Also sounds like that defensiveness is carrying over into your interaction with the school staff.
Again, you admit you didn't really prepare your kid for school and that he is having trouble adapting... so why is so out of reason that there are other issues ? 3 different adults at the school identified a problem... maybe they are all wrong, school systems are pretty shitty these days... but you as a parent have to look at it with an open mind, because just MAYBE your kid does have an issue.

I also get the 'kids will be kids' argument... but who here is going to stand for their kid being on receiving end of pushes/hits ??
Old 08-25-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the positive side, you will be happy to know your son won't be pushed around. They do and he'll kick their ass.
Old 08-25-10, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Have you ever talked to a 5 year old?
I haven't, but I occasionally respond to his polls or revert his edits in Wikipedia.
Old 08-25-10, 02:16 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post

$100 says she was texting on her phone when the incident happened.

I spent a year working in special ed and dealing with kids that have behavioral disorders and it doesn't sound like your kid's teacher knows how to deal with or even cares about dealing with it.

My experience with school administrators is that they are administrators because they couldn't handle working with kids anymore so don't expect much help or understanding from them. Unless they can find a way to get grant money out of a situation, they are useless.
Old 08-25-10, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by greg9x View Post
Very dismissive answer...

For the record I have an almost 2 year old.. while that has nothing to do with school behavior, I do understand wanting to see the best in your kid. My mother did daycare for over 25 years (in house and at facility)..I have seen alot of different behaviors/temperaments in kids. I also know some teachers and have heard many stories about parents who don't want to believe their kids are the problem.

Maybe the school staff IS crappy, maybe the teacher IS cold and doesn't give a damn about your kid. Which is why suggested going to the school with an open mind and actually seeing how your kid behaves and how the staff interacts with him.

But the facts are, your kid did push down another kid several times... your kid did run away from an authority figure, your kid did act up later in class. You and your wife seem to have some 'conformity' issues, and sounds like you are very defensive about that. Also sounds like that defensiveness is carrying over into your interaction with the school staff.
Again, you admit you didn't really prepare your kid for school and that he is having trouble adapting... so why is so out of reason that there are other issues ? 3 different adults at the school identified a problem... maybe they are all wrong, school systems are pretty shitty these days... but you as a parent have to look at it with an open mind, because just MAYBE your kid does have an issue.

I also get the 'kids will be kids' argument... but who here is going to stand for their kid being on receiving end of pushes/hits ??
I do admit he may be having trouble adjusting. However, the problem I have is not with the school disciplining him, it is with the school targeting him for long term behavior modification on the second day. That is inappropriate. I will have no problem with something like this if his behavior is consistent, but the teachers and other staff don't know my son well enough yet to make that determination. BTW, I'm not the one making "kids will be kids" arguments.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.