Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

Old 08-24-10, 02:19 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: MD
Posts: 563
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

I was thinking, $5 pass line. Play the odds. Bet Come Line (probably 2). Maybe bet the field if I can money on 5-8 on Come Line.

What are your usual games/bets?

I've been playing online, and at one roll, I could have anywhere from 40-60 on the table. Is that normal?
Old 08-24-10, 02:31 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,017
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

field bet is waste of money. look it up.

pass line, max odds is what you should always do. if you aren't comfortable with max odds, make sure it's at least 2x your pass line bet. i usually cover 6/8 if not the point, since they obviously will hit the most.

i suggest looking at www.wizardofodds.com for more craps info.
Old 08-24-10, 02:37 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,209
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

- Pass Line w/ 1x or 2x odds
- Play the 6 and/or 8 if not the Point (press one if it's hit twice)
- Throw out an occasional dollar hard way bet and parlay if hit.
- Throw out an occasional $1 fire bet (if offered)

Yeah, the last 2 are sucker bets, but they're fun and not much money invested.
Old 08-24-10, 03:26 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: MD
Posts: 563
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
i usually cover 6/8 if not the point, since they obviously will hit the most.

i suggest looking at www.wizardofodds.com for more craps info.
is this the same as putting down a come bet? or are you just putting money on 6 and 8 for those odds?
Old 08-24-10, 03:27 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: MD
Posts: 563
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
-
- Throw out an occasional dollar hard way bet and parlay if hit.
- Throw out an occasional $1 fire bet (if offered)

Yeah, the last 2 are sucker bets, but they're fun and not much money invested.
what bets are they? is named on the table differently? thanks
Old 08-24-10, 03:41 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,209
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

Originally Posted by crow121 View Post
what bets are they? is named on the table differently? thanks
Hard Ways? It's the pairs of 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s you see on the middle of the table.

The Fire Bet is only offered (that I've seen) at HET Casinos. Bet laid (in a circle in front of the pass line) before a new shooter rolls.
Old 08-24-10, 03:44 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,209
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

Originally Posted by crow121 View Post
is this the same as putting down a come bet? or are you just putting money on 6 and 8 for those odds?
You're betting $6 on the 6 or 8 to win $7. Nothing to do with the come bet.
Old 08-24-10, 05:01 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

pass line + odds up to whatever I'm comfortable with

+ 1 come bet + odds (if i'm struggling)

+ 1 more come bet + odds (if i'm doing well)

anything else on the table is just lighting money on fire unnecessarily

since the odds bet is the only 0 EV bet in the casino, ideally you'd want to find the cheapest minimum table and max the odds, but your bankroll may not allow for it
Old 08-27-10, 12:09 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DeanoBKN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,263
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

I usually bet the Don't Pass with 2-3x odds. I'm that guy at the table.
Old 08-27-10, 01:01 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
pass line + odds up to whatever I'm comfortable with

+ 1 come bet + odds (if i'm struggling)

+ 1 more come bet + odds (if i'm doing well)

anything else on the table is just lighting money on fire unnecessarily

since the odds bet is the only 0 EV bet in the casino, ideally you'd want to find the cheapest minimum table and max the odds, but your bankroll may not allow for it
This is the most important thing to know about craps. It is a hell of a game too.
Old 08-27-10, 09:47 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,637
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

I never heard of a fire bet so I looked it up and ... yeesh, that seems like a bad bet, but I can see myself throwing a dollar at it when I'm the shooter.

But I bet like El Scorcho -- money on the pass line with odds, then one, two, or three come bets with odds.
Old 08-27-10, 10:09 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

I too bet like El Scorcho....partially because he taught me how to play craps on a gambling trip.

GO BIG O!!!!
Old 08-30-10, 01:33 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's your Craps Strategy? Craps Newbie

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I never heard of a fire bet so I looked it up and ... yeesh, that seems like a bad bet, but I can see myself throwing a dollar at it when I'm the shooter.

But I bet like El Scorcho -- money on the pass line with odds, then one, two, or three come bets with odds.
funny story with the fire bet -- considering that I always play the fire bet for $1 when it's available

i had one $5 chip left before we were leaving so i went to an empty craps table to get rid of it

ended up hitting the first 5 unique points .. would have been $125 but since i only had the red $5 chip i didnt play it

never even come close since lol

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.