62 mile traffic jam in China

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-24-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is insane.

(Aug. 23) -- Nine days of idling and no end in sight: The epic traffic jam outside Beijing extends for 62 miles, from the capital to the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region. There are conflicting reports as to whether it was caused by construction on the Beijing-Tibet Expressway that forced motorists onto National Expressway 110 or vice versa. No matter, the main point regarding the motorists, most of whom are refusing to take detours (that include tolls), is that it must be awful to be them.

True, traffic is bad in Moscow. And even Atlanta. But nine days? One could take a leisurely drive across the United States in less time. Imagine what would happen if a similar jam occurred on a Los Angeles freeway. Suddenly, Joel Schumacher's "Falling Down," in which Michael Douglas' character's violence spree is precipitated by gridlock, doesn't seem as far fetched.

But as of yet, there have been no reports of violence relating to the traffic jam. And indeed that appears to be true of driving in China in general. It's not that driving in China is orderly -- just the opposite. But in general the chaos is commonly suffered and rarely leads to the everyday road-rage violence that dominates media coverage in the United States.

There are probably many reasons for this, but surely one is that the Chinese populace is used to such indignities. After all, the central government has relocated more than a million people to make way for the Three Gorges dam, an eminent domain grab that dwarfs anything ever contemplated by Robert Moses. At least the people heading to Beijing have homes to return to, though it remains to be seen if they'll ever reach them.

Plus, citing environmental concerns (the air pollution in China's biggest cities is notoriously awful), the Chinese government has been taking grandiose steps toward alleviating some of the congestion, investing in electric and hybrid vehicles to the tune of $15 billion. One concept that's attracted enormous international attention so far: the creative, albeit outlandish, solution of a hybrid bus that literally drives over smaller cars on the road. In any case, the fruition of those projects remains some months, if not years, away -- offering scant comfort to those drivers currently mired in the gridlock. Although, at the rate they are going, maybe the new hybrid vehicles will catch up to them after all.

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/ar...c4_lnk1|165611
Old 08-24-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 62 mile traffic jam in China

After one day, I would just see if my car could go cross country.
Old 08-24-10, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Horrible drivers
Old 08-24-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They just need bigger busses.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/...-of-railroads/
Old 08-24-10, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
They just need bigger busses.
They actually are planning on making giant buses that cars can drive under:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20012633-48.html
Old 08-24-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's an asian joke about driving in here somewhere, I just can't put my finger on it though.
Old 08-24-10, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is completely badass.

Old 08-24-10, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They should make them drive bumper cars instead. Put it on PPV too.
Old 08-24-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are there vendors walking around from car to car selling them food and drinks?
Old 08-24-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Well, if some of them live close they can just walk to their house:

Old 08-24-10, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm going to stop complaining about my commute to work.
Old 08-24-10, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Pretty cool. I would imagine that a car wrecking into the sides of the bus from underneath would be amazingly expensive to fix, but it is a pretty cool idea.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V-NZtKsscdM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V-NZtKsscdM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-24-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Pretty cool. I would imagine that a car wrecking into the sides of the bus from underneath would be amazingly expensive to fix, but it is a pretty cool idea.
My thoughts exactly. The cnet article claims that large delivery trucks wouldn't be able to drive underneath them, but that leaves a lot of flexibility of decision into the hands of truck drivers. As most of us know, that's not a good thing.
Old 08-24-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
My thoughts exactly. The cnet article claims that large delivery trucks wouldn't be able to drive underneath them, but that leaves a lot of flexibility of decision into the hands of truck drivers. As most of us know, that's not a good thing.
You'd certainly want to put a bridge clearance/maximum height sign on the back of the bus.

But what happens in a 100 km traffic jam when the bus drives over you. Does the bus driver know when a truck is too tall and he doesn't have the road clearance to clear it?

I also see the bus as a big compromise between max clearance of bridges the top must clear, and vehicles the bus must clear under it. Good thing the Chinese are short. If it has to provide 8' clearance underneath, and clear 14' bridges, that doesn't leave the passengers much room after subtracting a few inches for structure.
Old 08-24-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79 View Post
From the video, it looks like there will be height markers installed on the streets so if the truck can't pass thru those, it won't fit under the bus.

What I want to know is how they're going to handle cars under the bus in lanes where the bus could/will make a left/right turn. Sharing the road with these new-fangled buses will be interesting for sure.
Old 08-24-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
From the video, it looks like there will be height markers installed on the streets so if the truck can't pass thru those, it won't fit under the bus.
And as we've learned from Storrow Drive in Boston, truck drivers would never ever ignore the height markers and just go for it.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 08-24-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-24-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
But what happens in a 100 km traffic jam when the bus drives over you. Does the bus driver know when a truck is too tall and he doesn't have the road clearance to clear it?
There appear to be proximity sensors on the bus that can detect when an approaching truck is too tall. The video shows this for trucks approaching from behind, but it may scan trucks in front as well.

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
What I want to know is how they're going to handle cars under the bus in lanes where the bus could/will make a left/right turn. Sharing the road with these new-fangled buses will be interesting for sure.
It looks like at intersections, the bus will turn while all other traffic is stopped.
Old 08-24-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This site offers a translation from the Chinese in the video:
http://www.chinahush.com/2010/07/31/...ve-to-commute/

It looks like the bus will clear 2 m vehicles underneath, and be 4 - 4.5 m high. They claim their overpasses are 4.5 - 5 m high. I don't know if I like exitting through the roof, right next to the electrical connections.
Old 08-24-10, 01:17 PM

Nine day traffic jam? I start going nuts if I'm stopped for nine minutes!
Old 08-24-10, 01:19 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I start going nuts if I'm stopped for nine minutes!
That's what she said? No?
Old 08-24-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
I read another article about the jam that did indeed mention that vendors had taken to setting up roadside food and beverage stands, but the motorists were complaining about price-gouging saying that noodles were going for 4x the price of a regular shop. Damn communism!
Old 08-24-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The accidents are usually awesome. AWESOME.

I once saw a backhoe, on a lowboy, slam into an overhead bridge on the highway. It ... was ... awesome! Probably $5m in damage. People (including myself) could have died. That made it more awesome.
Old 08-24-10, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SuperJim88 View Post
That's what she said?
Not to me, she didn't.
Old 08-24-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://twitter.com/SklarBrothers

9 Day 62 mile traffic jam in China. I can't believe there are that many people that have to go to work putting lead in children's toys.
Old 08-24-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Macra are probably behind this.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.