Off-road race kills eight spectators

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-15-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumbasses!

LUCERNE VALLEY, Calif. -- An off-road truck sailed off a jump and hurtled into a crowd at a race in the California desert, pinning bodies beneath it and sending others flying into a chaotic cloud of dust in a crash that killed eight people, authorities and witnesses said Sunday.

Twelve people were injured in the crash that came shortly after the twilight start of the California 200 Saturday night in the Mojave Desert, said San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Bachman.

Witnesses said the driver took a jump known as "the rockpile" at high speed, hit his brakes on landing and rolled sideways into a crowd of hundreds of people standing with no barriers next to the course.

"He hit the rock and just lost control and tumbled," said Matt March, 24, of Wildomar, who was standing next to the jump. "Bodies went everywhere."

March said he and several other fans lifted the truck, which came to rest with its oversized wheels pointing toward the sky, and found four people lying unconscious underneath.

John Payne, 20, of Anaheim said he was among the first people to reach the truck. He said the victims included one person who was decapitated.

"It was complete chaos," Payne said.

It took rescue vehicles and helicopters more than half an hour to reach the remote location, and spectators including off-duty police and firefighters helped the injured and placed blankets over the dead.

Six people died at the scene and two others died after being taken to a hospital, authorities said. Seven ambulances and 10 emergency aircraft responded, airlifting most of the 12 injured people from the area to hospitals.

Paramedics brought six people -- five adults and a child -- to Loma Linda University Medical Center, spokesman Herbert Atienza said Sunday. He had no information on their condition.

Officials said the driver, whose name has not been released, wasn't hurt. It was not clear why he lost control of the truck. Phone and e-mail messages left for the organizer, South El Monte-based Mojave Desert racing, were not immediately returned.

The 200-mile race is part of a series held in the Mojave Desert's Soggy Dry Lake Bed near the city of Lucerne Valley, 100 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Tens of thousands of people attend the California 200, in which a variety of off-road vehicles take jumps and other obstacles and reach speeds of over 60 mph on the 50-mile off-road course. The race had been scheduled to last through the night.

The crowd, which included children, was standing within 10 feet of the track with no guard rails separating them from the speeding vehicles.
"There were no barriers at all," Jeff Talbott, inland division chief for the California Highway Patrol, told the Riverside Press-Enterprise.

He said that the driver was forced to run from the scene when the crowd grew unruly and some began throwing rocks at him. Several witnesses said they didn't see anyone throwing rocks at the driver.

Fans said there are rarely rails or any other safety guards at the races.

"That's desert racing for you," Payne said. "You're at your own risk out here. You are in the middle of the desert. People were way too close and they should have known. You can't really hold anyone at fault. It's just a horrible, horrible accident."

March said "that's just how everyone plays it, everyone gets real close in these desert races."

The CHP does not normally investigate crashes at organized events, but took the lead on this probe because of its scope and had set up a command center at the starting line of the race.

The federal Bureau of Land Management was assisting in the investigation.

The crash was the latest in a series of race accidents that have proved deadly to spectators.

A car plowed into a crowd that had gathered to watch an illegal drag race on a suburban road in Accokeek, Maryland, in February 2008, killing eight people and injuring five. The two racers were charged with vehicular manslaughter. Darren Bullock, 22, was sentenced to 15 years in prison; Tavon Taylor, 20, is awaiting trial.

In Chandler, Ariz., in February, a female spectator was killed by a tire that flew off a crashing dragster at Chandler's Firebird International Raceway for the NHRA Arizona Nationals.

In Selmer, Tennessee, a dragster went out of control and smashed into spectators during a fundraising festival in June 2007, killing six people and injuring 22. Driver Troy Critchley, 38, was convicted of misdemeanor reckless assault charges and sentenced to 18 months probation.

Derek Laogali, 22, of San Pedro, said Saturday night was the first time he'd ever been to an off-road race, and he witnessed the horror up close.

"I seen people on the floor with broken bones, people with blankets over them. I'm guessing they were dead," Laogali said. "People were crying and screaming. It was a nightmare."

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=5465256
Old 08-15-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Off-road race kills eight spectators

Oh well.
Old 08-15-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish this would happen at a NASCAR event. It would be one of the greatest public displays of natural selection ever televised.
Old 08-15-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was going to post this. The crowd are at their own risk when there is no barrier at the race.
Old 08-15-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I wish this would happen at a NASCAR event. It would be one of the greatest public displays of natural selection ever televised.
Old 08-15-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm fond of the last sentence.
Old 08-15-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, if there are no guard rails then it is your fault. I'm not going to go to a hockey game and stand on the ice with no wall between me and them. You are going to get your face eviscerated by a puck or one of the players teeth if you do that.

Makes me wonder though. How many people when that car was coming at them instinctively put their hands up in front of their face as if they were going to deflect the car. Not really funny, but still.
Old 08-15-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-15-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Racist
Old 08-15-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, no, no. That would be the SECOND time it happens.
Old 08-15-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 08-15-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm continually amazed at how close people are willing to get to fast moving vehicles. Personally, I try to stay relatively far away, as I kind of like how my body is currently contained within itself.
Old 08-15-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
That was what I was originally going to reply with but got too lazy. "They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash."
Old 08-15-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't get a true appreciation for how stupid these spectators are until you see how close they're standing to these trucks going close to 100 mph. I love the YouTube poster's defense: "This is what people do"

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LbGL84MOHA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LbGL84MOHA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by cungar; 08-15-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

There are no guardrails on a 50 mile desert track. You guys are thinking of paved highways.
Old 08-15-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't even imagine the driver having to deal with the fact that he killed eight people. What a burden to bear.
Old 08-15-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hippie68 View Post
Can't even imagine the driver having to deal with the fact that he killed eight people. What a burden to bear.
Him and 4 of the dead are from this area. The local news said he knew 3 of the ones killed. One of the witnesses (whose friend was one of the dead) said he thinks the truck hit a rock after the jump and rolled into the crowd.

Ironically, the driver's name is Brett Sloppy.

He posted this on Facebook: Soo incredibly lost and devistated my thoughts and prayers go out to all the familys and friends involved.. Thank you too all my friends for sticking with me even thru these tragic times I love you all
Old 08-15-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you ever catch the rally races on TV it is amazing. You see the european ones when they are racing off road in the SNOW and people are smacking the cars as they go by. They also are known for building their own jumps and bumps on the track before the cars get there so they can watch them get air right in front of them. Of course, it's difficult for the drivers since they aren't official terrian of the track.
Old 08-15-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post

He posted this on Facebook: Soo incredibly lost and devistated my thoughts and prayers go out to all the familys and friends involved.. Thank you too all my friends for sticking with me even thru these tragic times I love you all
Way to early for this guy to be commenting on this. Especially with a post that sounds like it was written by Jeff Spicoli after a bong hit.
Old 08-15-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Way to early for this guy to be commenting on this. Especially with a post that sounds like it was written by Jeff Spicoli after a bong hit.
I was going to post the same thing. He posts drivel on Facebook after killing 8 people? Really?
Old 08-15-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
No shit.
Old 08-15-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see no problem with the Facebook post. Some people use it as a primary way of communicating with many friends and it's not like he wants to call them all in a time like this.
Old 08-15-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Race Sponsor based in El Monte

Hmm, sounds like a cover-up for some recent panda slayings!
Old 08-15-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
I see no problem with the Facebook post.
His punctuation could be better.
Old 08-16-10, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
His punctuation could be better.
And spelling.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.