Dr. Laura and interracial marriages

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-15-10, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

link

Basically some lady called in and was saying how her white husband doesn't say anything when friends or family come over and bring up stuff like "well what do blacks think about this, what do blacks think about that?" constantly.

Dr. Laura immediately said "I don't think that's racist" and questioned whether the lady was hypersensitive.

The lady then mentioned what about when these inlaws and friends bring up the N-word and then Laura brings up "Well black comedians say ******..." and it got worse from there.

I don't really care if she said the ******, but I'm surprised she would say it on air, when I'm fairly certain she wouldn't say fuck, or any other curse word.

I thought it was more telling though when she said if stuff like that bothers you you shouldn't marry outside your race.
Old 08-15-10, 12:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dr. Laura and interracial marriages

My mother used to listen to Dr. Laura all the time. Even as a child I knew that woman was fucked in the head.
Old 08-15-10, 12:42 AM

An interesting point also was made when she mentioned that since Obama was president, she was shocked that there was still claims of racism being made. As if by electing Obama somehow that just was supposed to placate all those lowly black people into shutting up about racist bullshit they deal with.

Keith Olbermann, who I typically don't listen to, had a great point about this:

Naming Dr. Laura his "Worst Person in the World," Olbermann criticized the following comments she made:

I really thought once we had a black president, the attempt to demonize whites hating blacks would stop, but it seems to have grown. And I don't get it. Yes, I do. It's all about power.

"Translation: we elected one of you president, so stop complaining there's any racism left in this country," Olbermann said, saying her comments amounted to, "Haven't we done enough for you people?"

"Any buffoon can get on the radio and shout the N-word 11 times; that doesn't make them racist," he said. "The other part — 'I really thought that once we had a black president this would stop' — that makes them a racist."
Old 08-15-10, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
link

Basically some lady called in and was saying how her white husband doesn't say anything when friends or family come over and bring up stuff like "well what do blacks think about this, what do blacks think about that?" constantly.

Dr. Laura immediately said "I don't think that's racist" and questioned whether the lady was hypersensitive.
Just listened. Dr. Laura asked for examples of what the friends say because some people are hypersensitive. She didn't say the lady was, she wanted an example of what she meant. The lady said that friends would ask things like "what do Black people like, etc." and Dr. Laura said she didn't think that was racist.

I don't see anything I disagree with there based on the actual recording.

The lady then mentioned what about when these inlaws and friends bring up the N-word and then Laura brings up "Well black comedians say ******..." and it got worse from there.
The lady did not say that these inlaws and friends bring up the N-word. She said, "what about the N-word?" and then started to say something like "it is thrown around" but there is no clue in the clip as to who is throwing it around, or if it is a general cultural comment. She basically got "talked over" by Dr. Laura before you knew what it was she was going to say.

I don't really care if she said the ******, but I'm surprised she would say it on air, when I'm fairly certain she wouldn't say fuck, or any other curse word.
How fucking stupid is it that we can't even use the word when discussing it? That's the stupidest thing in the world. When one is discussing the very word, it is silly that it can't be used. I probably wouldn't have because of societal norms that make no sense. But, come on, adults discussing the word ought to be able to be adult about the conversation.

I thought it was more telling though when she said if stuff like that bothers you you shouldn't marry outside your race.
Didn't hear that in the clip posted, so I don't have a comment.

Fuck I hate to defend Dr. Laura as I don't think much of her. But even more, I hate when I see what someone supposedly said, and it is invariably twisted towards some agenda. She has said a lot of things that are legitimate to dislike her over, but I didn't see it in this clip (but it also seemed incomplete).
Old 08-15-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.drlaurablog.com/2010/08/11/my-apology/
These are my opening comments from my radio program today:

I talk every day about doing the right thing. And yesterday, I did the wrong thing.

I didn’t intend to hurt people, but I did. And that makes it the wrong thing to have done.

I was attempting to make a philosophical point, and I articulated the “n” word all the way out - more than one time. And that was wrong. I’ll say it again - that was wrong.

I ended up, I’m sure, with many of you losing the point I was trying to make, because you were shocked by the fact that I said the word. I, myself, realized I had made a horrible mistake, and was so upset I could not finish the show. I pulled myself off the air at the end of the hour. I had to finish the hour, because 20 minutes of dead air doesn’t work. I am very sorry. And it just won’t happen again.

I received some letters, and what touched me is that, even though many of you were upset, you still showed friendship for all the years we’ve been together on the air, and for that, trust me, I am very grateful. Here’s an example:

I’d like to thank this woman for sending me this letter. I was so very touched, and truthfully, it helped me make it through the night. So I’m going to read this letter:

Dear Dr. Laura:

I have been a listener for at least 20 years. I have bought and read several of your books. I have always held you in high regard, and have encouraged others to listen to you as well. I have to say, after today’s call with the African-American woman with the Caucasian husband who called seeking how to handle “racist” comments, I am a bit dismayed. I believe that African-Americans using the n-word is disdainful, as well as Caucasians or any other race for that matter. I agree that the argument some African-Americans use that it is ok for them to use it and not others, is ridiculous. But, I have to say, when I heard you saying the word repeatedly, it struck a negative chord with me.

I don’t believe you are a racist, and I don’t believe, as an African-American woman, that I am hypersensitive. I have to say after the call, I found it difficult to continue to listen to the rest of the show. I have not made the decision to stop listening to your show, but I felt compelled to respond because I found it offensive.

Sincerely {and she gives her name}

One last note -
The caller in question (her name is Jade), called for help from me, and didn’t get it, because we got embroiled in the “n” word, and I’m really sorry about that, because I’m here for only one reason and that’s to be helpful, so I hope Jade or somebody who knows her is listening, and hope she will call me back and I will try my best to be helpful, which is what she wanted from me in the first place and what she did not get.
Apparently she realized the societal norms (that even I know) too late.

Good for her for doing the apology. But it still looks to me like what is being reported that she said doesn't match up to what she said. Makes for good outrage, I suppose.
Old 08-15-10, 01:38 AM

She's not being misrepresented. And the fact that she said without some little light coming on in her head saying "what's gonna happen if I keep saying this word over and over and over?" is staggering to me.

Whether you think that no one should use it, or everyone should use it, the bottom line is that it's not really proper to go on the radio and say that. She's GOT to know that. And if not, she's too stupid to have a radio show.

She's not even a fucking Doctor of anything that would pertain to her show. She got her PHD in "physiology" which is pertaining to Biology, not Psychiatry or Psychology.

I feel bad for people who call her show and actually put stock in her advice.
Old 08-15-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Just listened. Dr. Laura asked for examples of what the friends say because some people are hypersensitive. She didn't say the lady was, she wanted an example of what she meant. The lady said that friends would ask things like "what do Black people like, etc." and Dr. Laura said she didn't think that was racist.

I don't see anything I disagree with there based on the actual recording.
Yeah, there's nothing at all racist about assuming the one black lady you know can speak for all Black People.
Old 08-15-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i don't get the title...it didn't sound, from the clip, that interracial marriages were discussed, at least not by Dr. Laura, who seemed to go off on a tangent.

the thing is the context oh how it was used, saying, how do blacks do things, it's like someone asking me how do asians do things. i don't think it's a big deal. different cultures do things differently sometimes. but there could be more to it, hard to say from the clip.

the N-word, yes, there's double standard. i posted a story about an African American Civil Rights leader using the N-word. If it's wrong for non-blacks to say it, it's wrong for blacks to say it too.

her comments seem to be that she's more interested in her own tirade than helping the caller. also, her using the N word with no thought to it is a bad thing. it's not like she said it and immediately apologized.

the real issue for the caller is that she has a problem with how things are said. Some people are just more sensitive to certain things. The caller should talk to her husband that she doesn't feel comfortable with that's said, and then the two of them should talk to the friend. because a true friend should be understanding enough to not use a phrase that someone else is hurt by, even if they do not harbor ill thoughts by it.
Old 08-15-10, 02:06 AM

The last bit of the call was Laura saying "If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race."
Old 08-15-10, 02:08 AM

Me personally, I don't like the word. I don't think ANYONE should use it, black, white, whatever. But that's just my thoughts. I don't have the arrogance to suggest that someone else CAN'T use it because I'm offended by it, but that being said, I don't say it, and it irritates me and offends me when people throw out a word like that carelessly and recklessly without regard to whether or not it really bothers other people. Either that or they just don't give a shit.

She should have known better, and I have zero sympathy for her.
Old 08-15-10, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Yeah, there's nothing at all racist about assuming the one black lady you know can speak for all Black People.
Fair point. I once asked a Japanese exchange student what Japanese people thought of Ronald Reagan. Little did I know I was being racist and expecting her to speak for all of Japan. Here I thought I was just trying to find out some cultural differences.

Hell, I once asked here why Black people vote so overwhelmingly for the same people (90+% in many cases). I need sensitivity training.

Seriously?
Old 08-15-10, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GrooThePerverte View Post
Me personally, I don't like the word. I don't think ANYONE should use it, black, white, whatever. But that's just my thoughts. I don't have the arrogance to suggest that someone else CAN'T use it because I'm offended by it, but that being said, I don't say it, and it irritates me and offends me when people throw out a word like that carelessly and recklessly without regard to whether or not it really bothers other people. Either that or they just don't give a shit.

She should have known better, and I have zero sympathy for her.
I agree with everything you said. She should have known better.

But she is being misrepresented. She didn't say the caller was hypersensitive, she asked for examples of the racism to find out what she considered racist because some people are hypersensitive.

It was also written that the neighbors and friends throw around the N-word, and that is also not in the audio clip. That is a misrepresentation. The writing in the article and the OP do not match the actual clip that was posted here. How is that not a misrepresentation?
Old 08-15-10, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
the thing is the context oh how it was used, saying, how do blacks do things, it's like someone asking me how do asians do things. i don't think it's a big deal. different cultures do things differently sometimes. but there could be more to it, hard to say from the clip.
[JasonF] You were being oppressed by racists and didn't even know it, man.[/JasonF]
Old 08-15-10, 02:43 AM

I agree with everything you said. She should have known better.

But she is being misrepresented. She didn't say the caller was hypersensitive, she asked for examples of the racism to find out what she considered racist because some people are hypersensitive.

It was also written that the neighbors and friends throw around the N-word, and that is also not in the audio clip. That is a misrepresentation. The writing in the article and the OP do not match the actual clip that was posted here. How is that not a misrepresentation?
Here's the transcript.

==============================

SCHLESSINGER: Jade, welcome to the program.

CALLER: Hi, Dr. Laura.

SCHLESSINGER: Hi.

CALLER: I'm having an issue with my husband where I'm starting to grow very resentful of him. I'm black, and he's white. We've been around some of his friends and family members who start making racist comments as if I'm not there or if I'm not black. And my husband ignores those comments, and it hurts my feelings. And he acts like --

SCHLESSINGER: Well, can you give me an example of a racist comment? 'Cause sometimes people are hypersensitive. So tell me what's -- give me two good examples of racist comments.

CALLER: OK. Last night -- good example -- we had a neighbor come over, and this neighbor -- when every time he comes over, it's always a black comment. It's, "Oh, well, how do you black people like doing this?" And, "Do black people really like doing that?" And for a long time, I would ignore it. But last night, I got to the point where it --

SCHLESSINGER: I don't think that's racist.

CALLER: Well, the stereotype --

SCHLESSINGER: I don't think that's racist. No, I think that --

CALLER: [unintelligible]

SCHLESSINGER: No, no, no. I think that's -- well, listen, without giving much thought, a lot of blacks voted for Obama simply 'cause he was half-black. Didn't matter what he was gonna do in office, it was a black thing. You gotta know that. That's not a surprise. Not everything that somebody says -- we had friends over the other day; we got about 35 people here -- the guys who were gonna start playing basketball. I was going to go out and play basketball. My bodyguard and my dear friend is a black man. And I said, "White men can't jump; I want you on my team." That was racist? That was funny.

CALLER: How about the N-word? So, the N-word's been thrown around --

SCHLESSINGER: Black guys use it all the time. Turn on HBO, listen to a black comic, and all you hear is ******, ******, ******.

CALLER: That isn't --

SCHLESSINGER: I don't get it. If anybody without enough melanin says it, it's a horrible thing; but when black people say it, it's affectionate. It's very confusing. Don't hang up, I want to talk to you some more. Don't go away.

I'm Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I'll be right back.

SCHLESSINGER: I'm Dr. Laura Schlessinger, talking to Jade. What did you think about during the break, by the way?

CALLER: I was a little caught back by the N-word that you spewed out, I have to be honest with you. But my point is, race relations --

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, then I guess you don't watch HBO or listen to any black comedians.

CALLER: But that doesn't make it right. I mean, race is a [unintelligible] --

SCHLESSINGER: My dear, my dear --

CALLER: -- since Obama's been in office --

SCHLESSINGER: -- the point I'm trying to make --

CALLER: -- racism has come to another level that's unacceptable.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. We've got a black man as president, and we have more complaining about racism than ever. I mean, I think that's hilarious.

CALLER: But I think, honestly, because there's more white people afraid of a black man taking over the nation.

SCHLESSINGER: They're afraid.

CALLER: If you want to be honest about it [unintelligible]

SCHLESSINGER: Dear, they voted him in. Only 12 percent of the population's black. Whites voted him in.

CALLER: It was the younger generation that did it. It wasn't the older white people who did it.

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, OK.

CALLER: It was the younger generation --

SCHLESSINGER: All right. All right.

CALLER: -- that did it.

SCHLESSINGER: Chip on your shoulder. I can't do much about that.

CALLER: It's not like that.

SCHLESSINGER: Yeah. I think you have too much sensitivity --

CALLER: So it's OK to say "******"?

SCHLESSINGER: -- and not enough sense of humor.

CALLER: It's OK to say that word?

SCHLESSINGER: It depends how it's said.

CALLER: Is it OK to say that word? Is it ever OK to say that word?

SCHLESSINGER: It's -- it depends how it's said. Black guys talking to each other seem to think it's OK.

CALLER: But you're not black. They're not black. My husband is white.

SCHLESSINGER: Oh, I see. So, a word is restricted to race. Got it. Can't do much about that.

CALLER: I can't believe someone like you is on the radio spewing out the "******" word, and I hope everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: I didn't spew out the "******" word.

CALLER: You said, "******, ******, ******."

SCHLESSINGER: Right, I said that's what you hear.

CALLER: Everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: Yes, they did.

CALLER: I hope everybody heard it.

SCHLESSINGER: They did, and I'll say it again --

CALLER: So what makes it OK for you to say the word?

SCHLESSINGER: -- ******, ******, ****** is what you hear on HB --

CALLER: So what makes it --

SCHLESSINGER: Why don't you let me finish a sentence?

CALLER: OK.

SCHLESSINGER: Don't take things out of context. Don't double N -- NAACP me. Tape the --

CALLER: I know what the NAACP --

SCHLESSINGER: Leave them in context.

CALLER: I know what the N-word means and I know it came from a white person. And I know the white person made it bad.

SCHLESSINGER: All right. Thank you very much. Thank you very much. Can't have this argument. You know what? If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race. If you're going to marry out of your race, people are going to say, "OK, what do blacks think? What do whites think? What do Jews think? What do Catholics think?" Of course there isn't a one-think per se. But in general there's "think."

And what I just heard from Jade is a lot of what I hear from black-think -- and it's really distressing [sic] and disturbing. And to put it in its context, she said the N-word, and I said, on HBO, listening to black comics, you hear "******, ******, ******." I didn't call anybody a ******. Nice try, Jade. Actually, sucky try.
Old 08-15-10, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
the N-word, yes, there's double standard. i posted a story about an African American Civil Rights leader using the N-word. If it's wrong for non-blacks to say it, it's wrong for blacks to say it too.
Is it OK if I fuck your wife (or girlfriend, as the case may be)?
Old 08-15-10, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk God

The clip didn't have the stuff "after the break." It obviously went downhill there. It still looks to me like she was misreprented by the article and the OP on the points that I made. I don't see how that can be argued.

Also, though like you, I wouldn't say it, it is stupid that saying it in any context is considered racist. It is like a verbal boogie man or some type of superstitious thing. I think anything and everything out to be taken in the spirit in which it was intended. When Dr. Laura said it, she wasn't calling anyone the dreaded N-word, she said that is what you hear from Black comedians. I didn't see the intent there to be racist. But racism must remain powerful, or a lot of people are out of a job, so I get it.

The caller seems to have a similar view (to you and I) that it shouldn't ever be used, and Dr. Laura should have been more sensitive to that, but she isn't a Dr. or a therapist, she's an entertainer, and fucked up. Personally, I think if you are going to have a term so awful that it must never be uttered, you should throw "Nazi" in there with it. But whatever.

And I don't care if Dr. Laura is kicked off the air for this. The world would be better off without her on the air, in my opinion. But there is still plenty of misrepresentation about it. I pointed out why, and I don't see how it isn't a misrepresentation.
Old 08-15-10, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Is this a setup to call him sexist for not being okay with you fucking him? It seems to fit with your logic on this.
Old 08-15-10, 03:19 AM

The clip didn't have the stuff "after the break." It obviously went downhill there. It still looks to me like she was misreprented by the article and the OP on the points that I made. I don't see how that can be argued.

Also, though like you, I wouldn't say it, it is stupid that saying it in any context is considered racist. It is like a verbal boogie man or some type of superstitious thing. I think anything and everything out to be taken in the spirit in which it was intended. When Dr. Laura said it, she wasn't calling anyone the dreaded N-word, she said that is what you hear from Black comedians. I didn't see the intent there to be racist. But racism must remain powerful, or a lot of people are out of a job, so I get it.

The caller seems to have a similar view (to you and I) that it shouldn't ever be used, and Dr. Laura should have been more sensitive to that, but she isn't a Dr. or a therapist, she's an entertainer, and fucked up. Personally, I think if you are going to have a term so awful that it must never be uttered, you should throw "Nazi" in there with it. But whatever.

And I don't care if Dr. Laura is kicked off the air for this. The world would be better off without her on the air, in my opinion. But there is still plenty of misrepresentation about it. I pointed out why, and I don't see how it isn't a misrepresentation.
Well I don't understand what the OP said that was misrepresenting here.

That is the way it went down

That is also what happened. She asked for two good examples because people, in her view, could be hypersensitive. This was her way of immediately throwing out there, "tell me what it was, because I wonder if you're being too sensitive here".

Once again, that was born out by the audio.

Aside from his opinions on this, I don't think he said anything that she didn't say on the air. In our society that word is taboo, and people who have said that or other variations on racial slurs or language have been in a world of hurt. She's a pretty high profile far right wing person, so she HAS to know that, after all the stuff O'Reilly has gone through and Limbaugh and Beck as well with racially charged language.

I was just wondering what you felt the OP misrepresented. I kinda got the feeling you were referring to the idea that she was referring to the caller in the beginning as "hypersensitive" and, to me anyway, it appears she was indirectly referring to her as being that by her request for two good examples of what they were saying, almost discounting her from the beginning.
Old 08-15-10, 04:24 AM
Banned

You've defended Rush Limbaugh's racist statements. Now you defend these racist statements. Do you really want to be the guy who defends racists?

I know it's part of your shtick to always bash people on the left and praise people on the right, but you're really gonna defend this? Really?
Old 08-15-10, 04:29 AM

One thing that's always escaped me is why people get bent out of shape over "oh they can say this but I can't".

Why would anyone WANT to say the word? Seriously? Unless you're cross burning, or committing hate crimes, in what point of your daily routine will you EVER have a need to say that word?
Old 08-15-10, 05:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmallet View Post
my mother used to listen to dr. Laura all the time. Even as a child i knew that woman was fucked in the head.
show some respect for your mother!
Old 08-15-10, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think Dr Laura is racist. At least, I don't think she's any more racist than some of the White people who post here on DVDtalk or Rush Limbaugh; if just saying certain things does in fact make one racist like this Keith Olberman would have us believe. I do think she should have handled that call differently, but I feel that way about approx 90% of her calls.
Old 08-15-10, 06:43 AM
Banned

That has GOT to be the WORST LOGIC in the WOOOOOOOOORRRRRLLLLLDDDDD!!!!!!

You need to go on your radio program & issue a brainfart apology.
Old 08-15-10, 06:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GrooThePerverte View Post
An interesting point also was made when she mentioned that since Obama was president, she was shocked that there was still claims of racism being made. As if by electing Obama somehow that just was supposed to placate all those lowly black people into shutting up about racist bullshit they deal with.

Keith Olbermann, who I typically don't listen to, had a great point about this:
Was Older Man's quote from a different program? I don't see it in the transcript below.

If he's paraphrasing, he's done a hack job. In the transcript, she says that we now have a black President, and there is more complaining about racism than ever, and that she finds that hilarious...which I take to mean that she finds it ironic or unintentionally funny that, in the face of obvious signs of progress in racial matters, there are increasing charges of general racism (no Deadwood comments, please).

I've heard the same discussion point made by various pundits & commentators in the presence of black guests, and there was no general hue & cry. Instead, there was a civil discussion.

Of course, we know that Keiff would never misrepresent someone intentionally, so the quote saying what he alleged must have been redacted from the 'script.
Old 08-15-10, 07:03 AM

Here's the video. The part he's referring to she was saying when she came back from break after the call ended with the woman who called in.

For the Dr. Laura part skip ahead to 2:16

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEwoAWA8_J0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEwoAWA8_J0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by GrooThePerverte; 08-15-10 at 07:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.