Reload this Page >

Otter Lawyers: On-line Wills?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-12-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are so called on-line wills legal in all 50 states? Or do you have to pay a shifty, (I said shifty), lawyer $$$, to get one done?

I know about mentioning your closest relatives and leaving them 1.00 but what if you want to leave something to some youngins and you want to screw your sibling and her daughter/son/spouse so they can not access the funds until they are a certain age? and like if they were to die before such age, it would go to charity? If you mention one siblings child, do you have to mention all of them?
Old 08-12-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Otter Lawyers: On-line Wills?

On-line?

Try legalzoom.com.
Old 08-12-10, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're talking about setting up a trust, I think. For something that complicated, I'd definitely use a lawyer.
Old 08-12-10, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
You're talking about setting up a trust, I think. For something that complicated, I'd definitely use a lawyer.
I agree. And you should be able to find someone at a fairly decent price who is competent and will be able to answer all your questions. A simple will, I would use something like legalzoom to do it.
Old 08-13-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. On-line sites are ok for "cookie-cutter" type wills and trusts, I guess, but good luck having them answer specific questions like the ones you are posing. If there is any hint that your heirs might fight over your estate after you die (common scenarios = second marriages, stepchildren, omitting certain heirs from your estate) then you would be better off with an attorney-crafted will or trust rather than a one-size-fits-all document spit out by an on-line site.
Old 08-13-10, 06:32 PM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Right here: http://authors.simonandschuster.com/...idges/62450799
Old 08-13-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-13-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. On-line sites are ok for "cookie-cutter" type wills and trusts, I guess, but good luck having them answer specific questions like the ones you are posing. If there is any hint that your heirs might fight over your estate after you die (common scenarios = second marriages, stepchildren, omitting certain heirs from your estate) then you would be better off with an attorney-crafted will or trust rather than a one-size-fits-all document spit out by an on-line site.
Right on point. If you have a simple estate to take care of and little likelihood of dispute as to estate assets, then an online will MAY suffice. You can look up online the requirements of a will in your jurisdiction.

However, if you have a large estate or anticipate an potential heir will challenge the distribution of the estate, see a lawyer. It's well worth the money to prevent problems administering your estate.
Old 08-14-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

On first glance I thought this said "One-line wills," which would be great.

"The hottie gets everything, the rest of you go blow."
Old 08-15-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about quicken wills? It has been highly recommended by money.com and fool.com and I was very impressed with the software when we used it.
Old 08-16-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeeden View Post
What about quicken wills? It has been highly recommended by money.com and fool.com and I was very impressed with the software when we used it.
I see it the same as other online shops. Quicken legal is designed for the run of the mill fact scenario. If you have a straightforward situation, they MAY have a straightforward answer/form for you to use. However, if there is anything outside of the "norm" then you introduce more risk as the forms are designed for the "norm.