Humans need to abandon Earth: Hawking

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-10-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colonize space or face extinction: Hawking

If we don't abandon the planet within the next 100 years, we could be doomed, according to renowned physicist Stephen Hawking.

In a contribution to the website Bigthink.com, Hawking said humankind will face a lot of hurdles in the coming years.

“I see great dangers for the human race. There have been a number of times in the past when its survival has been a question of touch and go,” said Hawking, citing the Cuban missile crisis as an example.

“The frequency of such occasions is likely to escalate in the near future,” he said. “But I'm an optimist. If we avoid disaster for the next two centuries, our species should be safe as we spread into space.”

Why can't we avoid disaster here on our own planet? Hawking said there are too many of us wreaking too much havoc.

"Our population and our use of the finite resources of planet Earth are growing exponentially along with our technical ability to change the environment for good or ill," he said.

Due to our “selfish and aggressive instincts,” which Hawking said are a part of our genetic code, we're prone towards the ill. Nevertheless, "If we are the only intelligent beings in the galaxy, we should make sure we survive and continue."

“It will be difficult enough to avoid disaster in the next hundred years, let alone the next thousand or million," he said.

“Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain inward looking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space. We have made remarkable progress in the last hundred years. But if we want to continue beyond the next hundred years, our future is in space.”
Old 08-10-10, 07:05 AM
Admin

Received 150 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: Humans need to abandon Earth: Hawking

Originally Posted by Hawking
“Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain inward looking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space. We have made remarkable progress in the last hundred years. But if we want to continue beyond the next hundred years, our future is in space.”
This I agree with. In order to survive, it's best to have a colony on more than one planet. The fact that we've scaled back our manned exploration of space is a crime in my opinion.
Old 08-10-10, 07:07 AM
Banned

No please, just let the virus die out here, Mr. Anderson.
Old 08-10-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be another major natural disaster eventually. Its not if..its when. Comet, asteroid or even the Yellowstone cauldera erupting. It may not happen in the next thousand or even ten thousand years. Eventually one of those things will happen though, no way around it.

And I agree with Vin...we need to keep working on colonizing space. We're just in the infancy of this technology and our politicians would rather spend money elsewhere.

And politicians don't get elected or re-elected by saying "Lets spend money and work on something that is going to save us decades from now..." They only get elected and re-elected by saying things that like "I'll get tough on crime in the next few months so that things will get better during my first term". Hell...we could just get tough with the laws we have now but apparently thats not enough (but alas thats another whole thread!).

Last edited by FiveO; 08-10-10 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is space a more habitable place to live than Earth after a comet collision or mega-volcano?
Old 08-10-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well said Professor but we humans are to busy destroying the planet and fighting over patches of dirt

The sooner we become extinct, the better for the planet.
Old 08-10-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

We need to colonize! How else are we going to get rid of the annoying people?
Old 08-10-10, 08:54 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
How is space a more habitable place to live than Earth after a comet collision or mega-volcano?
If your gene pool is spread out on separate rocks, you can recolonize one of the rocks if it's temporarily uninhabitable (Mega Volcano, Asteroid collision, the cancellation of American Idol, etc).
Old 08-10-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree.....even if we start a colony on the moon AND Mars, neither place is suitable for us to live in permanently, and without our "home base" up and running, we will just be slightly delaying the inevitable extinction of our species.

Hey, at least we will be forgotten as the smartest species on planet earth to kill ourselves as opposed to having a natural event kill us off. But then again who knows? Maybe 100 million years from now, a new species will be smarter than us, but are limited even more than us, due to the fact that they are ALL assholes.

WE NEED ANOTHER EARTH WITHOUT ALL THE ASSHOLES. That's our only chance of survival in my eyes. If all parents were good parents, with their child's best interest in mind, I think that we would be all set. We would still have murder, crime, etc.. but it would be much less frequent. Since we would not be killing each other for ridiculous reasons, I then feel that as long as we are not wiped out by a natural event, we would have the ability over millions of years to excel to the point of colonizing our galaxy and beyond.

There is another planet just like Earth somewhere out there, the number of stars and galaxies are just too large for there not to be. This new Earth could be colonized and then we have finally truly doubled our survival expectancy. Until we find a planet like that (which we won't, due to our likely nature to kill each other first AND the fact that natural events that can wipe us out do happen), I feel that we are just on a timer until there is no physical record at all of our existence in the universe.
Old 08-10-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids.
Old 08-10-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This will never happen. Its a nice thought but total fiction.
Old 08-10-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
This will never happen. Its a nice thought but total fiction.
If we don't destroy ourselves first, it will most definitely happen.
Old 08-10-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm so disappointed in this thread. I see the title and I check it out halfway expecting to see a picture of some giant bird attacking people.
Old 08-10-10, 09:36 AM
Admin

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
If we don't destroy ourselves first, it will most definitely happen.
Old 08-10-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
If your gene pool is spread out on separate rocks, you can recolonize one of the rocks if it's temporarily uninhabitable (Mega Volcano, Asteroid collision, the cancellation of American Idol, etc).
Yeah, but why not concentrate on building temporarily inhabitable structures here on Earth, if that's the concern?
Old 08-10-10, 09:58 AM
Admin

Yeah, but why not concentrate on building temporarily inhabitable structures here on Earth, if that's the concern?
If we can learn to live off planet, it will be a stepping stone to eventually being able to live in another star system. The Earth has an expiration date. The sooner we start working on this as a species, the better.
Old 08-10-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

All right you damn kids, off my planet!
Old 08-10-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

let's all colonize Florida
Old 08-10-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If we can learn to live off planet, it will be a stepping stone to eventually being able to live in another star system. The Earth has an expiration date. The sooner we start working on this as a species, the better.
Personally I think this is what might be unattainable vs just colonizing the moon or Mars. Granted, who knows what things will be like a couple hundred years from now, but I can't even fathom what kind of technology it would take to actually be able to get to and colonize a planet in another star system.

Not minimizing it at all, but I have to think that colonizing the moon would be child's play compared to colonizing a planet in another star system.
Old 08-10-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have 2 choices for the next few centuries, if we are going to colonize, and those are the moon and Mars. And the obstacles to doing those are incredibly huge. Based off the advances in space in the last 50 years, it will take us more than another hundred in advancement to make it a reality. Living in another star system simply won't happen, and for myriad reasons. If we wanted to go beyond our solar system, we'd have to do it ala Battlestar Galactica and simply live on cruise ships.
Old 08-10-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I love the idea of spreading humanity out to the stars and colonizing other planets. But the problem I see, as has already been mentioned, is places like Mars, or the Moon, would in the long run be more difficult to live on than an earth even after a mega disaster. And if we do have the technology one day to travel to other solar systems and find habitable planets, it stands to reason that those habitable planets will be... habited. Maybe by life that doesn't really want us there.
Old 08-10-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts

i see no problem with colonizing other places, but abandoning earth is stupid. we need to rape and pillage the earth of all it's natural resources before we abandon it. duh!
Old 08-10-10, 10:41 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

In 100 years I'll be dead, and so will my kids. Fuck if I care.
Old 08-10-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Damn straight. What the hell do I care if humans are living in space 100 years from now.

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-10-10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-10-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
one of my many arguments as to why recycling is pointless.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.