Reload this Page >

Newbie cook needs help with his MEAT

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-09-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm trying to cook more dinners for myself, instead of eating out all the time. I'm already sick of chicken breasts, so decided I should try to move on to something a little more exciting, like steak.

I like the idea of frozen bulk packs, because I can take them out 1 at a time, thaw them out, and cook them up. If I buy fresh, I'm sure some will go bad before I make them all. I am a horrible cook, though, so I'm going to be cooking these bad boys up on my George Foreman Grill!

Are No Name Steaks any good? what about Omaha or Kansas City steaks? Would a completely non-steak-snob like me be able to tell any difference?

Any other ideas for easy George Foreman Grill meat? I can't imagine pork chops would be tender cooked on one of those would they?

I'm all set on side dishes (those Steamers veggie packs are a godsend!) .. it's just the MEAT i'm having problems with. Gotta be easy to cook and use as few dishes as possible.
Old 08-09-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Newbie cook needs help with his MEAT

First of all, instead of buying frozen, buy fresh and freeze some of them. It's cheaper if you find a good butcher and quality will be better.

Second, it's impossible to cook a good steak on a Foreman. Season the meat about a half hour (salt, pepper & others to taste) and let the meat sit so it's room temperature when you're ready to cook it. Heat the pan at it's highest setting and sear the meat on each side for about 2 minutes or you get a crust on the meat. Turn the pan to medium and let the mean cook through. Check for doneness by pressing the meat with your finger. The firmer the meat, the more done it is. Once you remove the meat from the pan, put it on a plate and shave a little bit of butter onto the meat and cover it with foil for about 5 minutes. This will allow the juices settle so they don't just leak out when you first cut into it.
Old 08-09-10, 05:40 PM
Suspended

Is his MEAT clean shaven?
Old 08-09-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post

Second, it's impossible to cook a good steak on a Foreman.

Get a grill pan if you can't get a grill.

Last edited by dgmayor; 08-09-10 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Best way to go if you are buying meat like that, is to just get a Costco pack of whatever cut you like and freeze it. Don't mess with Omaha Steaks, etc. Yeah, they are good, but so are Bose speakers....they just aren't good enough to justify their price.
Old 08-09-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like to marinate overnight because taste wise it makes a huge difference. You can go simple and just use a favorite salad dressing straight out of the bottle, or you can make your own marinade like I do. There are so many different options out there and you can get pretty creative. A little olive oil, freshly chopped garlic, lemon and savory herbs can go a long way.

Also, if you go with a cheaper cut of meat make sure to pound it. It helps to break down the fibres and makes it more tender.
Old 08-09-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Everytime a n00b asks for cooking advice (and I've done it myself), about 90% of the posts make me think, "Holy crap, that sounds like far too much effort.....fuck it!"

So anyway, first get a background check on the steer that you will be selecting, and then crosscheck it for both the bull and the heifer. Then grow your seasonings in a 45% solution of potting soil, and whatever type of soil you find gives the spices the best taste....
Old 08-09-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Everytime a n00b asks for cooking advice (and I've done it myself), about 90% of the posts make me think, "Holy crap, that sounds like far too much effort.....fuck it!"
Yeah, that was almost my reply to the first response

I'm in the "throw it on the GF Grill, walk away for 5 minutes, come back and drop it on the plate" kind of cooking zone right now. It has to have like zero steps, or my laziness will overtake me and I'll just go out to Lee Ann Chin for dinner or something.
Old 08-09-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post

I'm in the "throw it on the GF Grill, walk away for 5 minutes, come back and drop it on the plate" kind of cooking zone right now. It has to have like zero steps, or my laziness will overtake me and I'll just go out to Lee Ann Chin for dinner or something.
Real men cook with fire. You can find debates on propane vs charcoal, but a gas grill is much more convenient than charcoal, and the meat tastes a lot better than on a GF grill. (Charcoal probably tastes a little better, but takes more fussing)

You'll do better with freezing fresh meat from the store. Cut it to the size portions you need, then freeze it. Thaw it, a little salt and pepper, on to the grill.
Old 08-09-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post

You definitely don't need to do a bunch of time consuming or complicated things for a steak to taste great. Just be sure to get good quality steaks from a good butcher and it will taste great with just a little salt and pepper as long as you don't overcook it. And as OldDude said, if you can grill it outside it will probably taste better (in addition to being an easier cleanup process/not warming your kitchen up when it's hot out).

Try some different cuts and see what you prefer. The butcher (or simply the guy manning the meat counter) will be able to give you good advice.
Old 08-09-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do NOT go Omaha Steaks.

Go to Costco and get their package and freeze what you want. I go with the NY Strip Choice. Tho I have gotten Prime before (drool). The Prime is just a little expensive for "every day". The NY Strips come 4-5 in a package and you can cut each one in half and freeze. If you don't have a vacuum thing, I would foil first and then heavy zip lock bag.

Next, go to Walmart and get a Lodge Cast Iron pan. This is the same pan sold in the trendy stores. I like a 12" but 10" isn't a bad size. Yes they are pre-seasoned, but you want to Google and season yourself.

My fool proof method (which is not really mine, but...):

1. Let steaks sit out a room temp for 20 minutes or even longer
2. Season liberally with kosher and fresh cracked pepper. You want to go more salt than you think is needed and I prefer just a little pepper (adding more after cooking).
3. Head cast iron pan on Med-high to high depending on how your stove top or outdoor burner and let it get nuclear hot. And realize this is hot using super heavy mitts or multiple towels to handle. Also if you like your steak medium or more (please say you don't) you also want to warm up your oven to 500 degrees.
4. Use some peanut oil in pan (won't need much, but don't use olive oil it would burn).
5. If you like your steak med rare, it is likely at 3 to 3.5 per side will take care of. However if you like med or more (please no) you will want to go 3 to 3.5 minutes per side and then put the pan in the oven for another 3-5 minutes depending on how think and how burned you like it
6. And this is key, you will want to remove steak from pan and put on a cooling rack and tent (loosely cover with foil) and let rest about 7-8 minute.. If you don't do this, you will literally ruin the steak.

I had made a pan sauce with mushrooms for this one,

These are a couple in my cast iron pan,

This was my last efforts on a grill. Same idea, but you really need a hot grill. And to get the cross grill marks you rotate the steaks 90 degrees about 1/2 way on either side.

BTW...don't forget the sides. My standards are grilled asparagus, and/or roasted potatoes.

Edit: all the photos are from my iPhone. The last one from my new iPhone 4 with a better camera and I was playing with and app that edits pics.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-09-10 at 10:07 PM.