Reload this Page >

Ten Things You Didn't Learn in School

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-06-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time you're 30, you'll be hit with the crushing truth of just how much the grownups didn't teach you when you were in school. And, while liberals and conservatives haggle over whether public schools need more funding or more lessons on the Ten Commandments, we think all can agree there are some very basic, useful things that our children really, really should know.
Not going to quote the whole thing, since it's on two pages, but some of the highlights include sex ed classes on how to spot a douchebag and how to do actually important things around the house (instead of learning how to build a bird feeder).

http://www.cracked.com/article_18611...in-school.html

This is a surprisingly insightful article, despite the fact it was posted by a humor website. I certainly think this stuff would be more useful for kids to know than who invented the cotton gin and how to multiply in base 6. Don't even get me started on Silas Marner.

Last edited by Jason; 08-06-10 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Ten Things You Didn't Learn in School

What people really need to know is how to find what they need to know. How to use resources.

It would also have been nice if they taught basic household bookkeeping, aimed at paying your Income tax.
Old 08-06-10, 08:20 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, man. Base 6 saved my life.
Old 08-06-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really didn't learn anything in school that I use in real life. I learned a lot by working jobs. Schools don't prepare students enough for the workforce.

I remember a teacher of mine in high school telling us how lucky we were because our managers wouldn't as nice to us. Those of us that worked laughed at the comment. We got so much more respect and real world insight from our managers at our minimum wage jobs.
Old 08-06-10, 09:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
This is a surprisingly insightful article, despite the fact it was posted by a humor website. I certainly think this stuff would be more useful for kids to know than who invented the cotton gin and how to multiply in base 6. Don't even get me started on Silas Marner.
I learned a lot of valuable things in school (like how to think and reason in a systematic manner.) Along the way I also learned talents such as being the only person in my junior high class to ace the test on Silas Marner, without actually even opening up the book. It's called paying attention and telling people what they want to hear.