Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Auto Finance Reps = The Devil?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-06-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have or has ever had an account with Wells Fargo Auto Finance? Are they always so rude?

The wife and I have had our auto loan for almost five years. Nearly paid off now, and never late before. So we ran into some financial problems this past month, and ended up being a month late on our loan. They still had our old number on file, so they never contacted us or there were no calls demanding payment.

I called in and let them know we would be making a payment at the end of the month, and that's when the hijinks started.

The first rep says "That's too far in advance, can you pay sooner?" When I said no, she asked if I could borrow the money from a friend or sell something to make the payment. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said "no."

The second rep asks for my phone number so they can call and remind me that payment is due in five days. I told them I would pay at the end of the month. She asked if she could have my work number or a friends number so they could call.

The third rep asks for my account info, puts me on hold (mute actually) and never came back after 5 minutes of silence.

The fourth rep was the worst. She said they had the right to ask whatever they wanted about my financial situation or make suggestions on how to get the money. She said I couldn't speak to a supervisor because it wasn't necessary. I told her it was because she was being rude, and she said no, you need to get your facts straight. I told her I'd make the payment at the end of the month. She then asked when I was going to make the next one. Uh, probably on the due date. Remember, I have only been late once.

At this point I feel like just paying off the loan in full to get away from them. I'm not perfect, I've been late on bills before, we all have. But nobody else has given me as much crap as Wells Fargo has.

Ok, I feel better now
Old 08-06-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wells Fargo Auto Finance Reps = The Devil?

Do you have something you could sell to make the payment?
Old 08-06-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should sell your car so you can make that payment.
Old 08-06-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every time I hear someone has a Wells Fargo account or loan I just cringe. They are hands down the worst bank to deal with when it comes to fraud (on the law enforcement end). I've watched them screw customers over and while I try to right it as it wasn't the customers fault they end up losing money and Wells Fargo walks away.

Steer clear from Wells Fargo if you can. They have great ads and things to pull you in but overall they are a horrible company.
Old 08-06-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I believe some incorrect spelling of "Doritos" is the devil.
Old 08-06-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe you can sell this thread on Ebay

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Every time I hear someone has a Wells Fargo account or loan I just cringe. They are hands down the worst bank to deal with when it comes to fraud (on the law enforcement end). I've watched them screw customers over and while I try to right it as it wasn't the customers fault they end up losing money and Wells Fargo walks away.

Steer clear from Wells Fargo if you can. They have great ads and things to pull you in but overall they are a horrible company.
Completely Disagree. I've NEVER had any problems with Wells Fargo.
Old 08-06-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33 View Post
They're always super nice to me too. Of course, I pay my bills on time
Old 08-06-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This reminds me of my older complaint:

Wells Fargo makes me feel like Barry Egan
Old 08-06-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never banked with Wells Fargo but they can't be half as bad as State Farm Bank. I got an auto loan through them way back in December 2005 (I was young and stupid at the time - it was the only bank that would approve me for a loan because of my age). My loan ends December 2010 - a huge 60 month loan - on a car I'm still making payments on and it's not worth more than $3,000 now. Probably way less.

I was going to be late one month because I was unemployed and my savings dried up and they wouldn't hear it. "Ask a friend, ask a relative, take out a loan with someone that would approve you.." etc. Seriously. This was in a similar scenario, at almost 3 years of consistent on-time payments. It was a joke. They took it upon themselves to call relatives, friends, and anyone else they could find. A total nightmare and thoroughly embarrassing.

Needless to say I made sure I was never late again, regardless of the circumstance.
Old 08-06-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I second this.
Old 08-06-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Does anyone have or has ever had an account with Wells Fargo Auto Finance? Are they always so rude?

The wife and I have had our auto loan for almost five years. Nearly paid off now, and never late before. So we ran into some financial problems this past month, and ended up being a month late on our loan. They still had our old number on file, so they never contacted us or there were no calls demanding payment.

I called in and let them know we would be making a payment at the end of the month, and that's when the hijinks started.

The first rep says "That's too far in advance, can you pay sooner?" When I said no, she asked if I could borrow the money from a friend or sell something to make the payment. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said "no."

The second rep asks for my phone number so they can call and remind me that payment is due in five days. I told them I would pay at the end of the month. She asked if she could have my work number or a friends number so they could call.

The third rep asks for my account info, puts me on hold (mute actually) and never came back after 5 minutes of silence.

The fourth rep was the worst. She said they had the right to ask whatever they wanted about my financial situation or make suggestions on how to get the money. She said I couldn't speak to a supervisor because it wasn't necessary. I told her it was because she was being rude, and she said no, you need to get your facts straight. I told her I'd make the payment at the end of the month. She then asked when I was going to make the next one. Uh, probably on the due date. Remember, I have only been late once.

At this point I feel like just paying off the loan in full to get away from them. I'm not perfect, I've been late on bills before, we all have. But nobody else has given me as much crap as Wells Fargo has.

Ok, I feel better now
I guess my question is, why would you call?
Old 08-06-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Do you have something you could sell to make the payment?

Just my soul. Actually, we're fine as far as the money goes, I just got paid later than normal. A wrench in the system if you will.

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
You should sell your car so you can make that payment.
Yeah really.

Nah, then they'd return it and say something was wrong, and I'd owe eBay money, too.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I guess my question is, why would you call?
My wife wanted me to. She's paranoid about being late with bills, she read that they can repo a car even after the payment is one day late if they want (yeah I know they can if they REALLY wanted to, but it's usually two or three payments I heard) and she's worried they will. So, I called to set her mind at ease. Of course, it didn't help.

Old 08-08-10, 05:02 AM
Banned

So, we're just now figuring out that busnesses want our money and don't give a crap about our personal problems...?

This is America. Welcome!
Old 08-08-10, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife wanted me to. She's paranoid about being late with bills, she read that they can repo a car even after the payment is one day late if they want.
True, but general rule is 90 days to start the repossession process. It's much more costly for them to repo a car than to eventually get the cash which is what they hold out for. That and most lenders have a 10 day grace period -- especially on auto loans.
Old 08-08-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

WF sucks ass... Ill never use them unless im forced to do so. when i had a car payment with them they would start calling the day after payment was due.

F em.
Old 08-08-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ever had a fraudulent charge on your account? Once you do you'll see. It took one of my victims 8 months to get her $900 back. And it wasn't her fault her account information was stolen.

Wells Fargo puts up a good front and if you don't have any problems...they appear to be a good bank. Wait until there are problems though then you'll realize they're out for one thing and one thing only, themselves. They could care less about any of their customers.
Old 08-08-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ever had a fraudulent charge on your account? Once you do you'll see. It took one of my victims 8 months to get her $900 back. And it wasn't her fault her account information was stolen.
I have a couple of times..they took care of it pretty quickly IMO.
Old 08-08-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, I feel better now
That's all fairly standard collection practice. Now, they might have pushed a bit too far considering your particular situation, but some collectors only have one speed, regardless of the situation. I know, I did that shitty job for 10+ years (credit card, auto and mortgage).
Old 08-08-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome - I wish I had victims.
Old 08-08-10, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
So, we're just now figuring out that busnesses want our money and don't give a crap about our personal problems...?

This is America. Welcome!
Lol. Most businesses I deal with are cool if you have a problem, especially if you've been with them awhile. I pay on time for five years, get behind once, and Wells Fargo treats me like shit. Yeah, not happening. Gonna pay this sucker off to get rid of their asses.

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
True, but general rule is 90 days to start the repossession process. It's much more costly for them to repo a car than to eventually get the cash which is what they hold out for. That and most lenders have a 10 day grace period -- especially on auto loans.
Yeah, that's what I heard. I'm not worried about it. Now if I was over two months late....

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
That's all fairly standard collection practice. Now, they might have pushed a bit too far considering your particular situation, but some collectors only have one speed, regardless of the situation. I know, I did that shitty job for 10+ years (credit card, auto and mortgage).
Yeah, I did mortage for awhile, too. I had a ton of customers call in and complain that the collections department told them to sell stuff, borrow money, not pay another bill, etc so they can pay their mortgage.
Old 08-08-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I've never banked with Wells Fargo but they can't be half as bad as State Farm Bank. I got an auto loan through them way back in December 2005 (I was young and stupid at the time - it was the only bank that would approve me for a loan because of my age). My loan ends December 2010 - a huge 60 month loan - on a car I'm still making payments on and it's not worth more than $3,000 now. Probably way less.

I was going to be late one month because I was unemployed and my savings dried up and they wouldn't hear it. "Ask a friend, ask a relative, take out a loan with someone that would approve you.." etc. Seriously. This was in a similar scenario, at almost 3 years of consistent on-time payments. It was a joke. They took it upon themselves to call relatives, friends, and anyone else they could find. A total nightmare and thoroughly embarrassing.

Needless to say I made sure I was never late again, regardless of the circumstance.

So their tactics worked.
Old 08-08-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I did mortage for awhile, too. I had a ton of customers call in and complain that the collections department told them to sell stuff, borrow money, not pay another bill, etc so they can pay their mortgage.
That's what they train us to do. And in reality, it makes good business sense. You don't want someone paying their cable or cell phone bill over their mortgage, etc.
Old 08-08-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Back about 15 years ago our local bank was bought and converted into a well's fargo.. My parents, whom are extremely fiscally responsible, left them as soon as they heard wind of Well's fargo's acquisition of said bank. They said to steer clear of them and I have... So it sounds to me like they haven't fixed anything in almost a score!
Old 08-09-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Wells Fargo puts up a good front and if you don't have any problems...they appear to be a good bank. Wait until there are problems though then you'll realize they're out for one thing and one thing only, themselves. They could care less about any of their customers.
I had a bunch of money taken out of my account a number of years ago via my paypal account getting hacked. Wells Fargo was pretty good in that situation to me. Maybe it has more to do with the individual manager you are working with than Wells Fargo corporate. (Or I just got lucky) My wife and I are slowly moving more of our money to a local Credit Union, but that is because we really like the experiences we have had there in general.

Last edited by orangecrush; 08-09-10 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-09-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Oddly enough, that is generally good advice for a mortgage. Your Mortgage should be a top 3 priority as far as bills go.