Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Going to the doctor for the first time in many years. How awesome is it now?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-06-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been maybe 8 years since I went to the doctor. With all the advances in technology the past several years (cameras on every cell phone!), I'm excited to learn what's new.

I'm just going in for a basic sore throat checkup next Tuesday. It's been about 10 days now, so I'm past toughing it out in case I need antibiotics, etc.

So what can I expect? Do doctors have phones that can run a complete scan and health profile on me? Can I opt-in to having my results go straight to Facebook? Can I play Wii in lieu of a urine sample?

I know the forum solves most of our problems, but I'm sure someone here has been to the doc for something or other lately and I'd be excited to hear what to expect!
Old 08-06-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Going to the doctor for the first time in many years. How awesome is it now?

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
I'd be excited to hear what to expect!
Old 08-06-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Going to the doctor for the first time in many years. How awesome is it now?

Please, that's so 80's Texas. I'm sure they at least have ergonomic chairs?
Old 08-06-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know for a typical office visit, but I thought it was pretty sweet to see the electronic X-ray board earlier this year. No more waiting for the "film" to be developed.
Old 08-06-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can I play Wii in lieu of a urine sample?
::
Old 08-06-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
I don't know for a typical office visit, but I thought it was pretty sweet to see the electronic X-ray board earlier this year. No more waiting for the "film" to be developed.
Awesome. I assume that makes x-rays a lot cheaper these days too!
Old 08-06-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Then you'll have the joy of hearing your name called, at which time you'll proceed to follow a nurse to another room. It's much more private. In fact, you'll have it all to yourself. There you will do some more waiting.

You mention technology. Bring your own electronic gadget to play with while you're waiting is the best advice I can give.
Old 08-06-10, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they still have the disposable exam paper to sit upon.
Not much advancement there.
Old 08-06-10, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
This is pretty accurate, sit and wait, then as cardsfan111 states, go back into the private room and wait some more. Then you will have a doctor that most likely won't speak great english (since you don't have a regular doctor, you will get the guy no one wants). After you struggle explaining what's wrong...

Since you said your thoat hurts, you will get a strep test, which they have a 1 hour test these days, but it isn't always accurate. You will have to wait at the lab to have this done because the Dr you just waited to see won't do that.

Then you get a call back in a couple hours from your Dr (if he remembers and isn't too busy, you better call him, and wait on hold), the lab usually calls the Dr who then call you and they will say you are fine, but since the 1 hour test isn't 100% they will grow your throat culture for a couple days (like they use to do when I was a kid) and the Dr will call you back and say you have strep, the 1 hour test must have missed it.

You will then go get a prescription and wait in line again to get your anti-biotics

And the best part if you have insurance is you will pay a co-pay at each leg of the trip!

ENJOY!!
Old 08-06-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You really have been away a long time, it's all about tricorders and biobeds now.
Old 08-06-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
This is pretty accurate, sit and wait, then as cardsfan111 states, go back into the private room and wait some more. Then you will have a doctor that most likely won't speak great english (since you don't have a regular doctor, you will get the guy no one wants). After you struggle explaining what's wrong...

Since you said your thoat hurts, you will get a strep test, which they have a 1 hour test these days, but it isn't always accurate. You will have to wait at the lab to have this done because the Dr you just waited to see won't do that.

Then you get a call back in a couple hours from your Dr (if he remembers and isn't too busy, you better call him, and wait on hold), the lab usually calls the Dr who then call you and they will say you are fine, but since the 1 hour test isn't 100% they will grow your throat culture for a couple days (like they use to do when I was a kid) and the Dr will call you back and say you have strep, the 1 hour test must have missed it.

You will then go get a prescription and wait in line again to get your anti-biotics

And the best part if you have insurance is you will pay a co-pay at each leg of the trip!

ENJOY!!
Having just had strep earlier this year, I can confirm that this is 100% correct.
Old 08-06-10, 03:55 PM

Awesome. I assume that makes x-rays a lot cheaper these days too!
I'm sure they'll find a way to charge you even more for the convenience...
Old 08-06-10, 03:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's all MRI's and narcotics. Especially for mild sore throats.
Old 08-06-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For some reason I just remembered... ask for the medicine you want by name and specify the milligram dosage too.

Doctor's these days aren't petty enough to take that as sort some of challenge to their authority. Might have been back in the stone age of medicine, but we've come so far in our modern times that this sort of thing is a relic of the past.
Old 08-06-10, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I already googled everything so as soon as they do the culture I'll know what I'm dealing with.

I could do it all at home if I had time to work on my latest invention. It's a med-it-yourself app with a usb swab device that handles everything from your temperature, to pregnancy tests and throat cultures*. Snap-on add-on makes do-it-yourself ultrasounds a reality, and if using the ez-fun-birth wizard and your levels drop, it dials your local 911 automatically and reads them your GPS location and status**. Optional Party Trick Pack adds endless pranks as you demonstrate that your male friends have a tiny weener, your girlfriend has a tumor***, or that the bride is already pregnant.

*please wash between uses
**phone coverage varies by carrier and location
***not funny
Old 08-06-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thor that will be a huge hit when Obamacare is in full swing

Things only go downhill from what is posted here
Old 08-06-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When he asks you to lean your elbows on the table and breathe easily, RUN! Trust me on this one.
Old 08-06-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

the doorways are actually electronic scanners.. as you walk into the building, it does a full body scan, bings, and a digital readout lets you know if you can either leave or take a seat and wait for the bad news

If you walk through the doorway and dont hear the ding.. you need to go back out and walk through again... those things are still in early phases, so sometimes you have to do it a few times before it works properly.. dont worry that anyone will look at you funny, everyone is conditioned to ignore the person walking back and forth through the doorway attempting to make the scanner go off.
Old 08-06-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
When he asks you to lean your elbows on the table and breathe easily, RUN! Trust me on this one.
you mean actually RUN, or just spell RUN?
Old 08-06-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
you mean actually RUN, or just spell RUN?
Oh no you dint.
Old 08-06-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dr. will listen to you intently for as long as you want to talk or up to 45 seconds, which ever comes first. Then they will prescribe you the most expensive drug possible but know a lot about it (thanks to the steak lunch the rep from the drug company took him to earlier that week). And no, there is no way a generic could ever be as good.

After waiting an hour in the reception area (even tho you were there 15 minutes early) you will see the Dr. for all of 90 seconds and then go wait at the pharmacy for another hour for your meds. And yes, despite your insurance, you will have a high co-pay.

So yea...lots has changed....
Old 08-06-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You weren't expect this...were you???

Old 08-06-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old technology still in use:

Old 08-06-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
Old technology still in use:
especially if you go in complaining about a sore throat
Old 08-06-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Y'all must have some shitty insurance or go to piss-poor clinics if those are your experiences. I go to see my doctor, wait maybe 10 minutes in the waiting room and maybe 10 in the exam room. My doc listens to everything I have to say, asks questions, and is pretty damn foxy to boot. I think I may have her check for a hernia on my next visit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.