Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

There will be no levity or celebration of any kind — Memos from Edward Mike Davis

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

There will be no levity or celebration of any kind — Memos from Edward Mike Davis

Old 08-05-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Letters of Note has 20-odd memos from the desk of Edward "Tiger" Mike Davis, of the late Houston-based Tiger Oil Company.

They are completely fascinating and hilarious. But read them on your own time, not mine. You shabbily dressed sons-of-bitches.
Old 08-05-10, 10:06 PM
Banned by request

Re: There will be no levity or celebration of any kind — Memos from Edward Mike Davis

This guy is a hit documentary waiting to happen. These are priceless. The tirade against hippies and alcoholics is especially good.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-05-10 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-05-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: There will be no levity or celebration of any kind — Memos from Edward Mike Davis

It's a shame society rewards assholes like this instead of shunning them.

I wonder what the turnover was like at Tiger Oil Company. And I wonder how big the party was the day this cocksucker dropped dead, hopefully at his desk.
Old 08-05-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The most amazing thing about those, if they're real, is that I didn't notice a single typo. Having lived through the tail-end of the typewriter era, I can tell you that is was almost impossible to type one memo, let alone hundreds, without at least a few typos per page. That makes me quite skeptical.
Old 08-05-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those letters are awesome.

"Do not speak to me when you see me. If I want to speak to you, I will do so. I want to save my throat. I don't want to ruin it by saying hello to all you sons-of-bitches."
Old 08-05-10, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
And I wonder how big the party was the day this cocksucker dropped dead, hopefully at his desk.
MEMORANDUM

DATE: January 5, 1978
TO: All Employees, Tiger Oil Company, Tiger Drilling Company, Tiger Oil International, Inc., Houston Office
SUBJECT: Dying

Effective today there will be no dying on company time. If you are going to die do it on your own God damn time, this is a business. The only person who can die on company time is me, why? Because I am the God damn owner that is why. If you do not like it pick up your check and die.

(Signed)
EDWARD MIKE DAVIS
Old 08-05-10, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 08-06-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
The most amazing thing about those, if they're real, is that I didn't notice a single typo. Having lived through the tail-end of the typewriter era, I can tell you that is was almost impossible to type one memo, let alone hundreds, without at least a few typos per page. That makes me quite skeptical.
Perhaps he had a typewriter with an erase ribbon?
Old 08-06-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Not in the '70s. I'm pretty sure that's an '80s invention. Even still, you could always see the ghost of the erased letter when those were used. Hell, they didn't even have Liquid Paper in the '70s.
Old 08-06-10, 12:53 AM

There were IBM's that did that as it was invented in the 70's; I believe the Selectric series had that. Even at that time they were creating the LCD screened typewriters where you could type what you wanted before the daisy wheel would "print." Of course, this is all if you had the money which this guy clearly did.
Old 08-06-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These are good and honest. None of the letters seemed any more outrageous than the policies that are instituted at my job. Only no one has the balls to send memos like that out, we just have passive aggressiveness.
Old 08-06-10, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There were IBM's that did that as it was invented in the 70's; I believe the Selectric series had that. Even at that time they were creating the LCD screened typewriters where you could type what you wanted before the daisy wheel would "print." Of course, this is all if you had the money which this guy clearly did.
No way. I worked at an office supply company from 1985-1988. The electronic typewriters with the little screens came out sometime during that period. I took typing in high school in 1985 and we used IBM Selectrics. The best you could get was to use the built-in correction and, like I said, it always left a little ghost of the original character. Those memos are flawless.

Maybe this guy was so anal, that he discarded anything with a typo.
Old 08-06-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk God

These are exactly the type of memos I would give out. Maybe he was just a quirky guy.
Old 08-06-10, 01:13 AM

Maybe this guy was so anal, that he discarded anything with a typo.
Yeah, that's probably what happened as he sounds like a wanna-be Howard Hughes.
Old 08-06-10, 03:00 AM
Banned by request

The best thing about these is how you can infer the deterioration of the company through offhand references he makes. First he hires a woman to work in the kitchen, and no one is allowed to go in there unless she's not in the kitchen. Then he tells the employees that if they don't like the food he's bringing in, they can go get their own. Then in the rug memo we discover he's banned all food in the office. It's pretty amazing.
Old 08-06-10, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not in the '70s. I'm pretty sure that's an '80s invention.
There was erasable typewriter paper at least as far back as the 1950s.

Hell, they didn't even have Liquid Paper in the '70s.
Except for the fact that it was invented in 1951.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 08-06-10 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 06:16 AM

Just finish reading all 20 memos.
Old 08-06-10, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
These are good and honest. None of the letters seemed any more outrageous than the policies that are instituted at my job. Only no one has the balls to send memos like that out, we just have passive aggressiveness.
The guy definitely seemed like an anal douche, but all he wanted was his company to run as well as possible. He didn't have to be such a jerk about it, but there's nothing wrong with wanting his company to run smoothly and expecting his employees to actually work.

Now, telling everybody they can't talk to him and stuff like that is stupid, but a memo telling everybody not to steal stuff from his office, not to gossip, requiring them to work a certain number of hours and frankly quite a few other memos seem PERFECTLY reasonable to me. He's absolutely right when he says that it's a business and there's nothing wrong with a boss (especially an owner) expecting his/her employees to treat it like a business. He just could have expressed himself much more tactfully and not come off like a douche by constantly saying that since he's the owner he can do whatever he wants. Leading by example would have been a better strategy.
Old 08-06-10, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Did anyone else click through the link describing the guy? I read those memos assuming that he had earned the respect of his employees by working his way up in the field, like Getty had. Not so.

He started as a taxi driver, got a job as a chauffeur, married the old lady, inherited her fortune, invested it in oil rigs, and lost everything.
Old 08-06-10, 07:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

I didn't read them all but noticed several typos in those that I did e.g. "sing" for "sign" on at least one occasion as well as a "do" where the context suggests "don't".

Just call me pedantic
Old 08-06-10, 07:51 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
These are exactly the type of memos I would give out. Maybe he was just a quirky guy.
Yeah, I can totally see you writing these.
Old 08-06-10, 08:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Did anyone else click through the link describing the guy? I read those memos assuming that he had earned the respect of his employees by working his way up in the field, like Getty had. Not so.

He started as a taxi driver, got a job as a chauffeur, married the old lady, inherited her fortune, invested it in oil rigs, and lost everything.
He sounds almost like a real life Jeffrey Lebowski (the Big Lebowski, not The Dude.)
Old 08-06-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty View Post
There was erasable typewriter paper at least as far back as the 1950s.

Except for the fact that it was invented in 1951.
...and Numanoid's assertions were shot down like a Zero over the Marianas.
Old 08-06-10, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Since he probably had a secretary who typed all his memos, and he was such a anal bastard, I'm sure she knew that if she made one typo, she would be fired.
Old 08-06-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh'. I agree with most of what the guy wrote.

99% of you folks aren't capable of running a profitable business. Most employees would overpay themselves and bankrupt the business they work for, if given the chance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.