Tip: If You're a Bigamist, Don't Post Wedding Photos on Facebook

Old 08-05-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tip: If You're a Bigamist, Don't Post Wedding Photos on Facebook

This is bizarre, and then, the story gets more so:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100805/...5mYWNlYm9va3dp

On Facebook, wife learns of husband's 2nd wedding
By MEGHAN BARR, Associated Press Writer Meghan Barr, Associated Press Writer – Thu Aug 5, 10:23 am ET
CLEVELAND – Dread of the unknown hung in the air as Lynn France typed two words into the search box on Facebook: the name of the woman with whom she believed her husband was having an affair.

Click. And there it was, the stuff of nightmares for any spouse, cuckolded or not. Wedding photos.
At Walt Disney World, no less, featuring her husband literally dressed as Prince Charming. His new wife, a pretty blonde, was a glowing Sleeping Beauty, surrounded by footmen.

"I was numb with shock, to tell you the truth," says France, an occupational therapist from Westlake, a Cleveland suburb. "There was like an album of 200 pictures on there. Their whole wedding."

The husband claimed Thursday that his marriage to Lynn France was never valid. He said she knew earlier about the other marriage and was making the Facebook claim as a publicity ploy.

Affairs were once shadowy matters, illicit encounters whispered about and often difficult to prove. But in the age of Facebook and Twitter and lightning-fast communication, the notion of privacy is fast becoming obsolete. From flirtatious text messages to incriminating e-mails, marital indiscretions are much easier to track — especially if potentially damaging photographic evidence is posted online.

"All of these things are just a trail of cyber breadcrumbs that are easily tracked by good divorce lawyers," says Parry Aftab, an expert on Internet safety and privacy laws.

France, 41, was not completely blindsided by her Facebook discovery, which happened in January 2009. That fall, she had grown suspicious when her husband began taking frequent business trips, even leaving the day the couple's newborn son came home from the hospital. Once, she found his passport at home when he was supposed to be in China for business.

In October, before leaving for another trip, her husband left a hotel website up on the couple's computer screen.

"So I actually went there with a girlfriend, just to see for myself for sure," France says. "He was there with this girlfriend. I said, `Hey, I'm his wife. We've got a baby.'"

The woman told France that she was engaged to France's husband.

"Sure enough, they were registered for a wedding at Target," France says.

A girlfriend recommended checking the woman's Facebook page, which was then open to the public, France says, but has since become private. There, France found evidence of an unfolding relationship that she still couldn't wrap her head around. Overwhelmed with two young children, she confronted her husband. She says he told her he wouldn't actually go through with the wedding.

It wasn't until she saw the wedding photos that she finally began divorce proceedings.

"People who engage in these sorts of behaviors now have the option of trying to keep things private or turning it into a spectacle and becoming their own reality show," says lawyer Andrew Zashin, a child custody expert who is representing Lynn France. "In this case, it seems, the spouse may have crossed the line and gotten married while he was still married."

Aftab, a lawyer who runs the online protection site WiredSafety.org, says the lesson to be learned from the Frances' case is that no form of communication is sacred anymore.

"It's like trying to catch a river in your hand," she says. "It will leak out eventually."

But Aftab doesn't recommend snooping around online. That can backfire in court if used inappropriately — such as when spouses log onto each other's Facebook pages without permission. If your spouse isn't trustworthy, she says, get a divorce and save yourself the trouble.

Lynn's husband, John France, does not deny that he has remarried. Rather, he simply is insisting that he was never married to Lynn in the first place.

"I don't think I was cheating," France said in an interview aired Thursday on NBC's "Today" show. "If you have a marriage that's not right from the beginning, it's not right at the end."

France said Lynn France's claim of finding out about the second wedding on Facebook was "absurd" and said she knew long before. He claimed she was "losing the court battle" for custody of their two sons and was using the Facebook story for attention.

His attorney, Gary Williams, issued a statement Tuesday saying his client is asking a family law court to declare that his marriage to Lynn was "void since its inception."

"While it appears that John and Lynda France were both under the impression, once upon a time, that they were married, the fact of the matter is that their marriage was never legally proper," Williams wrote, "and, therefore, it does not actually exist."

Lynn and John France were married in July 2005 in a seaside wedding on Italy's Amalfi Coast, having organized the event through Regency San Marino, which coordinates weddings for couples looking to get hitched in Italy. On the company's website, Lynn is still the first radiant bride whose portrait appears in a gauzy veil, the brilliant blue sea behind her.

If that wedding was a fraud, it was news to Lynn.

"If that were true, then he's lied to the IRS," Zashin says. "He's lied to insurance companies. Banks."

In June 2009, against the advice of her attorneys, Lynn France dropped divorce proceedings when her husband came home and persuaded her to reconcile.

"I just wanted to believe the good when he came to me and said, `Let's reconcile, I love you,'" she says. "You want to give somebody a second chance."

But three months ago, Lynn says she was cleaning the sink when her husband took the couple's 2-year-old son out of her arms and said he was going to give him some milk. Minutes later, she heard the car running.

"He threw them in, no car seats, no nothing, and took off," she says.

She hasn't seen her sons since. John France had taken them to Tampa, Fla., where he currently lives with his new wife and, according to his attorney, is seeking custody of their children.

Lynn France called 911, but as in most parental custody disputes, little could be done. She is in contact with the Center for Missing and Exploited Children and has a team of attorneys preparing for a court fight. Authorities have told her not to attempt to take back the children forcibly.

For Lynn, the only glimpse of her children now comes, ironically, from the same Facebook page where she found those fairy-tale wedding photos.

Until the day she can see her children again, Lynn France says she continues to text her husband, pleading with him to bring the children back to Ohio.

"The only way I've been able to see my children is on her Facebook page," she says. "It's stranger than fiction to watch this woman living my life."

John France denied he was keeping her from the children, saying during the interview Thursday that he offered to buy her plane tickets to come to Florida.

A message left Thursday for Lynn France's attorney was not immediately returned.
Old 08-05-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Tip: If You're a Bigamist, Don't Post Wedding Photos on Facebook

Old 08-05-10, 03:56 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in yur facebooks, livin' yur life
Old 08-05-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This guy got two women to marry him?!

The bride is the jilted first wife.
Old 08-05-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
This guy got two women to marry him?!

The bride is the jilted first wife.
Old 08-05-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, I don't understand this at all. So he can just say "Hey, my first marriage was never valid." and people just accept that? He can drive away with the kids and again, that's okay?
Old 08-05-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh wait, Florida. And Facebook.
Old 08-05-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, this is a pretty messed up story.
Old 08-05-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how she catches him cheating, and he tells her "oh, but I'm not going to go through with wedding," and she only filed for divorce AFTER she sees the wedding pictures. Right, the guy was trustworthy before that. If you're going to be intentionally naive I can't have much pity for you when you get rickrolled.
Old 08-05-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, what did she think he was doing?
Old 08-06-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I like how she catches him cheating, and he tells her "oh, but I'm not going to go through with wedding," and she only filed for divorce AFTER she sees the wedding pictures. Right, the guy was trustworthy before that. If you're going to be intentionally naive I can't have much pity for you when you get rickrolled.
My guess...she's a ditzy blonde, and he has a lot of money. Women will believe almost anything if it means the promise of an opulent lifestyle.
Old 08-06-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't get in these cases how one parent can just run off with the kids to another state. I would think if the custody was that contested that the courts would order the kids to go with other family members till it could be sorted.
Old 08-06-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Old 08-06-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only part that makes me feel bad for her is him taking the kids to Florida. I have a brother going through a custody battle right now and it's all very tricky.
Old 08-06-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I still don't get in these cases how one parent can just run off with the kids to another state. I would think if the custody was that contested that the courts would order the kids to go with other family members till it could be sorted.
The second marraige thing is fucked up, but I can go with it, people cheat. The taking the kids and disappearing for 3 months I have a problem with. How can he get away with that? That's seriously fucked up for the 2 year old kid not to get to see his mom for 3 months.

Speaking of, she says he took the 2 year old but later mentions she has multiple sons he took. No mention of age on the other(s).
Old 08-06-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
The second marraige thing is fucked up, but I can go with it, people cheat. The taking the kids and disappearing for 3 months I have a problem with. How can he get away with that? That's seriously fucked up for the 2 year old kid not to get to see his mom for 3 months.

Speaking of, she says he took the 2 year old but later mentions she has multiple sons he took. No mention of age on the other(s).
I would think that if you took the kids to another state, that it would be more than enough evidence that you are an unfit parent. Not that you would lose total custody, but primary would go to the other parent. I'm not sure there could be anything more selfish than doing kidnapping the kids. And to be truthful, I don't understand how the cops cannot call it that and refuse to do anything.

And the bit of "oh I offered to send her a plane ticket"...WTF....you shouldn't have taken the kids and you certainly shouldn't have moved to another state with them.
Old 08-06-10, 11:44 AM

This is a local story for me, so we've been hearing about it for the last week or so. Apparently, since the parents are not divorced, they each have equal rights when it comes to their children. Regardless of whether they're found to be legally married, there's been no divorce and therefore no custody agreement. So, the father can legally take the children out of state without the mother's consent and vice versa. Messed up, but that's the way I understand it based on local news reports.

Here's a related story from today's news:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2...it-tossed-out/

Alleged bigamist had his Lorain County credit card lawsuit tossed out
Filed by Cindy Leise August 6th, 2010 in Top Stories.

The former Westlake man at the center of a love triangle and bigamy allegation that is circulating on the Internet and earned him a spot Thursday on “The Today Show” unsuccessfully sought to recover tuition money from a school in Lorain County — saying his child’s mother “stole’’ the money to pay it.

The lawsuit, filed in 2009 by John P. France, contended a payment made by Lynda France of Westlake to Lake Ridge Academy with an American Express credit card issued to her was done with money she stole. John France wanted a judge to order Lake Ridge to return the $20,405 tuition.

Earlier, Lynda France, who also is known as Lynn, told WKYC-TV Channel 3 that she learned her husband had married again by finding pictures of him with his new bride on Facebook.

The story has gone viral ever since and led to Thursday’s national exposure.

Lynda France, 41, has said she married John France in 2005 in Italy and had two children with him.

She has said the couple hasn’t divorced, but John France contends their marriage never was legal and that a clerical error rendered their 2005 marriage invalid.

He told Matt Lauer on “The Today Show” that Lynda France had to know that he was remarrying as one of her friends was serving as a nanny when he did so.

“I was not carrying on a double life, no way — I’m no angel, OK? But Lynn knew everything I was doing,” John France told Lauer.

The lawsuit regarding the Lake Ridge tuition was filed in Lorain County Common Pleas Court in February 2009, two months after the 63-year-old John France dressed as Prince Charming and married his 25 year-old second wife, Amanda, at Disney World.

Court documents filed in Lorain County show that John France apparently had issues with other credit card charges made by Lynda France in December 2008 and January 2009.

The words “She actually stole $47,233.90” are scrawled across a print-out of the credit card invoice, including the Lake Ridge tuition bill, a $1,098.63 grocery bill at Heinen’s in Avon, a $19.95 charge at PeopleFinders.com and charges at the Ritz Carlton New York, Saks Direct, Neiman Marcus Online and other retail establishments.

The lawsuit was dismissed in October 2009 by Judge Christopher Rothgery, who said despite John France’s allegations, American Express paid the charge, the card was in Lynda France’s name and there was no evidence before the court that the money belonged to John France.

Contact Cindy Leise at 329-7245 or [email protected].

I've never heard of Lake Ridge Academy, but their children seem awfully young for a $20,000 tuition bill. These charges were made right around the time that John France married again, but apparently he still had a joint AmEx account with his first wife.
Old 08-06-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

since you're a parent you can take your kids unless there is a court order saying you have to keep them in the state so the other parent can visit
Old 08-06-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

letter for who? the US or Canadian authorities? and how do the border people know if you're not a single parent?
Old 08-06-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In order to take a child out of the country you do need documentation:

In order for a minor under the age of 18 to travel out of the United States without both parents or legal guardians, a notarized affidavit must be obtained and presented to immigration officials upon departure and return to the United States. Failure to present this affidavit may result in officials refusing to allow the minor to leave the country.

Of course the immigration officials rarely if ever check to see if you have the proper documentation.
Old 08-06-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that was big of 'im.