Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Worst Mother Ever?

Old 08-04-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Worst Mother Ever?

Or just a lazy idiot?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225898997638

A FRENCH nursing assistant has admitted suffocating eight newborn babies because she did not want more children and wished to avoid seeing a doctor for contraception.

Dominique Cottrez, 45, was charged with murder after the new owners of her parents' former home at the weekend found the remains of two newborns buried in plastic bags in the garden as they planted a tree.

The skeletal remains of the other six infants were later found dumped, also in plastic sacks, in the garage of the mother's current home.

Prosecutor Eric Vaillant said Cottrez admitted suffocating the infants because after having two daughters “she did not want any more children” and did not want “to see a doctor to get contraception”.

Cottrez's husband Pierre-Marie Cottrez was freed after denying any knowledge of the killings.

His wife, whose heavy build appears to have concealed the pregnancies from acquaintances, now faces trial and life imprisonment.

Investigators said she had confessed to suffocating the babies shortly after their births between 1989 and 2006 or 2007, and to concealing the bodies from her husband under household clutter in the garage.

The father told officers he had never suspected his wife was pregnant.

In past cases some defendants have said they were in denial about their pregnancies and not fully responsible for their actions, but Vaillant said Cottrez had admitted to being “perfectly aware” of her condition.

Prosecutors described it as the worst case of infanticide in recent French history, following a string of similar cases in which isolated and troubled mothers disposed of their newborns.

Pierre-Marie Cottrez worked as a carpenter and was a respected member of the village council in Villers-au-Tertre, a 620-strong community.

“He's on his third term in office. He used to volunteer in the community. He's a respectable man,” local mayor Patrick Mercier said.

Mercier said the councillor's wife was a more withdrawn person who rarely took part in village life. He said she had a weight problem which might be the reason why any pregnancies had passed unnoticed.

“No-one was aware of anything at all,” said the shocked mayor, adding that Villers-au-Tertre was a village “where nothing ever happens.”

The pair were arrested on Tuesday and questioned while police used sniffer dogs to search the two addresses.

According to Vaillant, the mother quickly confessed and told officers to search the couple's home in another part of the village.

Teams went there and six more sets of remains were found in the garage, tied up in four plastic bin bags and concealed under plant pots and junk.
Surely her husband had to wonder why she never got pregnant, if she wasn't using birth control?
Old 08-04-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Worst Mother Ever?

yeah, she's a bad mother alright. although, if she had killed the babies fetuses a day before they were born, then it would've been completely legal. what a difference a day makes, at least, in the eyes of the law.
Old 08-04-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

is that french law or us law?
Old 08-04-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham00 View Post
yeah, she's a bad mother alright. although, if she had killed the babies fetuses a day before they were born, then it would've been completely legal. what a difference a day makes, at least, in the eyes of the law.
Seriously?
Old 08-04-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Cottrez's husband Pierre-Marie Cottrez was freed after denying any knowledge of the killings.
"Hey honey, I could have sworn we had 3 kids yesterday, have you seen baby Marlon?"
Old 08-04-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Paging creekdipper!!!!
Old 08-04-10, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

To be fair, the doctor's office required a bus transfer. Who the hell wants to deal with that crap?
Old 08-04-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think she's just a lazy idiot.
Old 08-04-10, 03:45 PM
Suspended

I still say Dina Lohan is the worst mother ever.
Old 08-04-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Uhh - that is not true. Please check your facts. In France (according to Wikipedia), abortion is legal on-request in France in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy (first trimester). After the first trimester, two physicians must certify that the abortion will be done to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman; a risk to the life of the pregnant woman; or that the child will suffer from a particularly severe illness recognized as incurable.
Old 08-04-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
Seriously?
I thought it might actually take five or six posts before someone whipped out that old chestnut. (And isn't it always a man?)
Old 08-04-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
I think she's just a lazy idiot.
Be PC, now. She's a glandular idiot, I'm sure.
Old 08-04-10, 06:46 PM

I read this story last week. What was really wild is that this is the third time this has been reported in France in the past few years.
Old 08-04-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

France must make it a real pain to get your tubes tied.
Old 08-05-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

How very sad.

[engage OtterMode™]

Hey, at least that's eight less French bastards in the world. AmIrite?

The alleged filicidal maniac:

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 08-05-10 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-05-10, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

She did the kids a favor by putting them out of their misery.

Worst Mother?

[x] No
[-] Yes
Old 08-05-10, 09:47 AM

I thought this was a thread about this lady:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9a2zPlcV-s&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9a2zPlcV-s&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 08-05-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangerory View Post
Uhh - that is not true. Please check your facts. In France (according to Wikipedia), abortion is legal on-request in France in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy (first trimester). After the first trimester, two physicians must certify that the abortion will be done to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman; a risk to the life of the pregnant woman; or that the child will suffer from a particularly severe illness recognized as incurable.
okay, so i should've checked my facts, but let's say she aborted all 8 fetuses within the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, would this thread still exist? Would someone still consider her to be the worst mother ever?

To me, the end result of aborting in the first trimester or third trimester for the fetus is the same.
Old 08-05-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's exactly what most 16 year old unwed mothers do... wait until the last possible second and then KILL their children for sport! Awesome. Can't wait for a movie to come out about this.
Old 08-05-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9a2zPlcV-s&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9a2zPlcV-s&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Dear god! WTF was that nasty shit!
Old 08-05-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics of the husband? I need to see the man who can have sex with that and live to tell of it.
Old 08-06-10, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To me, the end result of aborting in the first trimester or third trimester for the fetus is the same.
To me, every time you jack off into a Kleenex, it's the same as killing thousands of potential offspring. Which means that you're worse than Hitler!
Old 08-06-10, 05:48 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

Originally Posted by Drav3n View Post
Dear god! WTF was that nasty shit!
Amen to that shit! My eyes... they burn! Please tell me that this is the result of crack use... there has to be a valid excuse for this nightmare.
Old 08-06-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post

um. no. Those children are still alive. Still virgins, too, as far as I can tell.

Who was filming that?