Unemployment High Because People Keep Blowing Their Job Interviews

Old 08-03-10, 01:00 PM
Political Exile

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.theonion.com/articles/rep...p-blowi,17803/

July 29, 2010

WASHINGTON—With unemployment at its highest level in decades, the U.S. Department of Labor issued a report Tuesday suggesting the crisis is primarily the result of millions of Americans just completely blowing their job interviews.

According to the findings, seven out of 10 Americans could have landed their dream job last month if they had known where they see themselves in five years, and the number of unemployed could be reduced from 14.6 million to 5 million if everyone simply greeted potential employers with firmer handshakes, maintained eye contact, and stopped fiddling with their hair and face so much.

"This economy will not recover until job candidates learn how to put their best foot forward," said Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, warning that even a small increase in stuttering among applicants who are asked to describe their weaknesses could cause the entire labor market to collapse. "If we're going to dig ourselves out of this mess, Americans need to stop wearing blue jeans to interviews, even if they're nice blue jeans, and even if that particular office happens to have a relaxed dress code."

"They also need to start bringing extra copies of their resumés, as it will show they are prepared and serious," Solis added. "And, by the way, how hard is it to send a hand-written thank-you note afterward? Anyone can dash off an e-mail."

A federal survey of employers found that nearly half of job-seeking Americans botched their interviews by responding no when asked, "So, do you have any questions for me?" Among candidates strongly qualified to perform the jobs they were applying for, 36 percent didn't bring a notepad or pen to the interview, and 16 percent were thrown off guard when the interviewer broached topics unrelated to work, such as the weather, sports, or personal hobbies.

Twelve percent, employers said, did this kind of nervous throat-clearing thing.

"If applicants would just say yes when asked if they played softball or liked golf, we could add 350,000 jobs to the private sector," Deputy Labor Secretary Seth Harris said. "The fact is, right now, today, approximately a third of the country's manufacturing positions are vacant. Auto plants across the country, especially in Detroit, are sitting there just waiting for people to come in and build cars."

"You may be a qualified candidate, but none of that matters if you walk into that interview lacking confidence," he added. "Don't act too confident, though. And don't joke around too much. And don't be overly friendly or ask too many questions. But be yourself."

The Labor Department confirmed their statistics don't take into account the estimated 20 million citizens who were unable to get interiews in the first place because of formatting errors in their resumés, or cover letters that slightly exceeded one page.

"At this point, hiring someone who doesn't use bulleted lists, strong action verbs, or boldfaced keywords is completely out of the question," said public relations executive Max Werner, who has been looking for office managers and a CFO since 2008. "And if you're going to end your cover letter with 'best wishes' instead of 'sincerely,' I don't care how experienced you are—you won't be working for me."

President Obama, who last week signed a law extending unemployment benefits, said the legislation would also address joblessness by creating a $1.2 billion program aimed at training Americans to use firm but approachable body language to make a great first impression.

"My administration remains fully committed to putting citizens back to work by making sure they show up at least 15 minutes early to their interview and never badmouth a previous boss," said Obama, flanked by unemployed Americans during an address from the White House Rose Garden. "Our new 'Nail the Interview, Score the Job' initiative will help regular Americans like Paul and Tracy here remember that they should prep ahead of time by learning a few things about the company they want to work for."

"And that little things," he continued, "like making sure your socks match, matter."
Old 08-03-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Unemployment High Because People Keep Blowing Their Job Interviews

redonkulous.
Old 08-03-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
"And, by the way, how hard is it to send a hand-written thank-you note afterward? Anyone can dash off an e-mail."
I don't know. How hard is it to send an email saying you've filled the position but thanks for applying, instead of leaving people who didn't make the cut hanging?
Old 08-03-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad I read the link before I started the article
Old 08-03-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Glad I read the link before I started the article
What's the over/under on whether grundle thinks this is a real article?
Old 08-03-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny article. But not mention of texting? I don't get why it's okay to 'text on the side' while working.
Old 08-03-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

perhaps if they actually would BLOW the interviewer, the results might be different? MMMmmmmm, could be!
Old 08-03-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
What's the over/under on whether grundle thinks this is a real article?
He posted in Other instead of politics (unless it was moved), so he knows for sure that it isn't real.
Old 08-03-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
http://www.theonion.com

Old 08-03-10, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I don't know. How hard is it to send an email saying you've filled the position but thanks for applying, instead of leaving people who didn't make the cut hanging?
As someone who has been looking for a job since March I personally think this would be a great idea.
Old 08-03-10, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha.

But, really, the way some people apply for jobs makes you think they don't really want one.
Old 08-03-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Completely agree! I've been unemployed since last year (finally starting a job in 2 weeks!) and have applied for hundreds of jobs with only about a 1/4 of them responding to setup an interview. I dont even bother believing them when they say "I'll definitely be in contact with you before the end of the week by phone or email to let you know if were moving forward with you or not." Personally, I feel when they say that and they dont contact me back at all, it makes me lose respect for that company.

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Ha.

But, really, the way some people apply for jobs makes you think they don't really want one.
I will agree with this to an extent. While there are some people who would rather collect unemployment than actually work, there are alot more people trying harder to get a job. For someone in my shoes, I've been collecting at the higher level that my state offers. While applying for jobs, it's kinda hard to settle for a job where I would make barely half of what I am making to sit on my ass all day. But then there are companies that freak out when you tell them what your previous salaries were and tell you that you are not going to be making that in your first year. No shit! I understand I would have to work from the bottom back to the top.

I dont know about anyone else, but I always include a cover letter when I submit a resume and always follow up with a thank you email after the interview.

And also, I dont know what it's like in other states, but around here everybody is only hiring for part time (20-25 hrs at most a week) and at minimum wage or 25-50 cents higher. Sorry, but Im not gonna bust my ass or be on call for $8 an hour.
Old 08-03-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do some internal interviews and help prepare people for internal interview (people wanting other jobs within the company).

I have to say there is some truth to this. It amazes me the stupid things people say (probably the most common is how stupid their current boss is). I've had people in business attire for a professional interview use inappropriate language. I've had people admitting to some policy they broke.

Interviewing is a skill like anything else. Few are born being good at interviewing. And many take it so personal "oh I'm good at talking to people". But it is a skill like learning Excel or anything else.
Old 08-03-10, 06:46 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I read that article and the first thing that came to my mind was 'Are you fucking kidding me???' My god, are employers that mired in their own shit that they can't get past that wrinkle in your pants, or that a person acted a little too confident (or not quite confident enough), or that a person was honest when they said they didn't particularly care for golf? Where do they draw the line at overly friendly? How many is too many questions asked?

This paragraph made me want to either laugh out loud or scream at my monitor:

"At this point, hiring someone who doesn't use bulleted lists, strong action verbs, or boldfaced keywords is completely out of the question," said public relations executive Max Werner, who has been looking for office managers and a CFO since 2008. "And if you're going to end your cover letter with 'best wishes' instead of 'sincerely,' I don't care how experienced you are—you won't be working for me."

Max needs to eat my shit.

I guess I'm not cut out for all that crap, I have a home-based computer repair business who has a lot of very satisfied customers. Business has been a tad slow lately, but it's starting to pick up again which is fine by me. If I had to go out there and kiss ass like what's outlined in that article, I'd probably end up wanting to beat the hell out of somebody. -kd5-
Old 08-03-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking about the kids who come into a job interview staring at their cell phone (or whatever it is, it usually looks like they are playing a game)
Old 08-03-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I read that article and the first thing that came to my mind was 'Are you fucking kidding me???' My god, are employers that mired in their own shit that they can't get past that wrinkle in your pants, or that a person acted a little too confident (or not quite confident enough), or that a person was honest when they said they didn't particularly care for golf? Where do they draw the line at overly friendly? How many is too many questions asked?

I guess I'm not cut out for all that crap, I have a home-based computer repair business who has a lot of very satisfied customers. Business has been a tad slow lately, but it's starting to pick up again which is fine by me. If I had to go out there and kiss ass like what's outlined in that article, I'd probably end up wanting to beat the hell out of somebody. -kd5-
It's a joke article from The Onion.
Old 08-03-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post

Dude. It's The Onion.
Old 08-03-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this real?
Old 08-03-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Is this real?
Since you asked, yes, yes it is.
Old 08-03-10, 08:33 PM

Jesus some of you people are stupid.
Old 08-03-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread bring teh funny
Old 08-03-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Is this real?
It's The Onion. Keep peeling back layers until you find the truth.
Old 08-03-10, 09:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
It's a joke article from The Onion.
Dude. It's The Onion.

Well, I will admit that I did not look to see where the article came from but even if I had, it would not have registered because I know next to squat about The Onion other than the fact that I've heard of it from somewhere.

At any rate, I feel silly for posting a rant over a ficticious article... -kd5-
Old 08-03-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RicP View Post
Jesus some of you people are stupid.
it had me going for a quick second until I caught the link.....can't believe some of the replies though
Old 08-03-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was thinking about the kids who come into a job interview staring at their cell phone (or whatever it is, it usually looks like they are playing a game)
These days...the supervisor is the one texting and looking at his/her cell phone. If you don't show up with one, you're probably not considered.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.