Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hernia?

Old 08-02-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hernia Questions

As I was working on Sunday morning, I felt a tug in my groin area after moving a box. And it was not the good kind of tug. I was sore the rest of the day. This morning, I woke up extremely sore. It hurt like hell just to bend over. I worked all day before going to get checked out.

As it turns out, I have an inguinal hernia. Due to the physicality of my job, I'll need surgery to correct it. I have to make an appointment for a consultation with a surgeon sometime this week.

I've never been through any of this before, so I was hoping to get some advice from those who have. What is the recovery time like, pain levels, etc?

Last edited by EdTheRipper; 08-02-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Hernia?

No thanks.
Old 08-02-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No experience for me, thank goodness. So is this being treated as a work-related injury?
Old 08-02-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you at least have a foxy lady doc to fondle your balls while they were checking you out?
Old 08-02-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
No thanks.
Old 08-02-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Did you at least have a foxy lady doc to fondle your balls while they were checking you out?
Old 08-02-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
No experience for me, thank goodness. So is this being treated as a work-related injury?
Yes, it is.

No, unfortunately not. I was hoping but it was just me and the guy doctor,lol.
Old 08-02-10, 09:43 PM

I've had this twice. The first time I had an incision, they shoved things back and sewed it up. Hurt like hell for about a week, could barely walk. The second time, 10 years after first surgery, the surgery was done with a laparoscope. They also put wire mesh in to keep things in place. Recovery time was much shorter and I was back to work a few days later. I had a right inguinal hernia. Not fun but could have been worse.
Old 08-02-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had an inguinal hernia repaired about 8 years ago. I had a weakening of the abdominal wall that over time got to the point of needing surgery. I had an incision about two inches long and a fiber mesh was sewn in to strengthen the area. The plan was to go home the same day to recover, however I had a vasovagal syncope, thus needed to spend the night. Was on painkillers for about a week. Could get up and move around alright, back at work four days later, after 7 days went for long walks to get some exercise. Two weeks later back to normal, running and working out. No heavy lifting for a month.
Old 08-03-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got my surgical consultation scheduled for Thursday at 4:30pm. Nice to be moving things along at a decent pace because I'm still sore as hell.
Old 08-03-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just had this done back in March. Mine was an extreme case though, it was (rare?) double-double. I had a direct and indirect inguinal hernia on both the left and the right side. So I essentially had surgery to correct 4 hernias. It was done laproscopic though so I have 3 little scars on my stomach, all below the waistline. They are almost gone now.

Surgery was a cinch, 90 minutes maybe? However due to the amount of repair they did (like 2' worth of mesh ), I couldn't move for about 4 days, even with the pain meds. Just enough to shower, eat and lay on the couch, and even those felt like chores. I couldn't sit upright in a chair during that time. My wife had to pull me up to a sitting position to get me out of bed/off the couch. It was rough. I couldn't pick up my kids for like a month, that was disappointing. Couldn't have them sit on my lap to read/watch tv either.

Recovery time was quoted at 14 days, but I went back to work after 10. I figured a desk job couldn't be that bad, but it was painful for a few days still. The pressure of sitting for 8 hours was probably worse than if I had a job where I would be on my feet.

It's been 4 months and have no problems lifting things. Again, mine seems to be a rare case, but FWIW, there's my story.

Oh, and to this day I have no idea how I got it.
Old 08-03-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for sharing. That's a shitload of mesh. I'm hoping my surgery will be done laproscopic as it seems to be the least invasive method.

Estimated recovery time for me as quoted by friends, family and coworkers is ranging from 2-3 days to 6 months.
I think the fact that my job contains as much lifting as it does in combination with the fact that there is no such thing as light duty on my job, will keep me out for a bit. I was burned out at work so the downtime will definitely not be a negative for me, to be honest.
Old 08-03-10, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

6 months?

My dad had one done prior to laproscopic and his recovery was 4 weeks. I can't imagine any scenario where you are out 6 months.
Old 08-03-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive had 2 hernia surgeries. First was when I was around 10 years old. I got the old school slit surgery. At 10 years old, I got the operation and was ready to play that afternoon, but my mom told me to rest at least 1 day. The 2nd hernia I was in my early 20s, I got the new school surgery, laproscopic(I think thats what its called,they made 2 tiny incisions, less scarring), and they inserted a net(I believe) to prevent another hernia from happening. Well that surgery I was in bed for 2 weeks and I didnt get to about an 80% level where I could walk normally(no running yet) for close to a month. The surgery was above the groin once again, but my scrotum inflamed and it was a little smaller than a softball(after not before).
Old 08-03-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
6 months?

My dad had one done prior to laproscopic and his recovery was 4 weeks. I can't imagine any scenario where you are out 6 months.
Yeah, I dismissed that one pretty quickly,lol.
Old 08-03-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury View Post
Ive had 2 hernia surgeries. First was when I was around 10 years old. I got the old school slit surgery. At 10 years old, I got the operation and was ready to play that afternoon, but my mom told me to rest at least 1 day. The 2nd hernia I was in my early 20s, I got the new school surgery, laproscopic(I think thats what its called,they made 2 tiny incisions, less scarring), and they inserted a net(I believe) to prevent another hernia from happening. Well that surgery I was in bed for 2 weeks and I didnt get to about an 80% level where I could walk normally(no running yet) for close to a month. The surgery was above the groin once again, but my scrotum inflamed and it was a little smaller than a softball(after not before).
How long till it returned to it's regular size?
Old 08-04-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How long till it returned to it's regular size?
I forget maybe a little less than a week, I think it was black and blue for at least a week. Good thing its got all those wrinkles or I would have run out of skin.
Old 08-04-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have had it two times about 5 years apart, on the same hernia. They did the laproscopic way the first time and apparently, one of the risks of doing it that way is that the hernia repair may not last as long. However, I play hockey pretty regularly, so that may have sped up the re-tearing process. The second time they did it the old fashioned way, but still with minimal scarring actually.

The lap surgery was a relatively quick recovery. Most pain was gone within a week. Full functioning in terms of lifting and exercising in about 4-6 weeks. The second, more invasive repair (which apparently involved a lot of mesh) took a bit longer. Closer to 8 weeks for a 90% recovery. However, neither surgery caused too much pain, just some discomfort that quickly became very tolerable.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

had laproscopic surgery a few years back to repair 2 hernias in my groin..
had the surgery on a thursday or friday.. was in bed through the weekend.. up and moving around by early the next week.. back at work by weds, just with a restriction of not lifting anything over 20lbs initially, and 50lbs, like a week later.. was moving pretty slow for the first week, but without pain
Old 08-05-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm back from my surgical consultation with the other doctor. This doctor didn't feel a hernia at all. He's suggesting it's a muscle strain and as such, has prescribed muscle relaxers. I have to follow up with him in 6 weeks. He said that if he can't feel the hernia, he's not going to operate. Obviously. So now, I'm up in the air. I follow up with the initial doctor on Tuesday. If there's nothing there, then I suppose I'm back to work. Granted, I'll be glad to not have to undergo surgery but the fact that I'm now uncertain as to what's happening doesn't help much. One thing I do know for sure is that I'm extremely aggravated.
Old 08-05-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is not a hernia. Your dick is haunted. There is no cure.

Get your affairs in order.
Old 08-05-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just be careful if you use any soft of ice treatment....
Old 08-05-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
This is not a hernia. Your dick is haunted. There is no cure.

Get your affairs in order.
Sounds like a Troma movie.
Old 08-06-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up my prescription not long ago. Within an hour of taking the pills, I started breaking out in hives and was itchy to the point that I wanted to rip my skin off. Took some Benadryl and have killed off the itchiness. I'm currently waiting for the doctor to call me back to set me up with a different prescription.

I can't win.
Old 08-09-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Going to follow up with the first doctor tomorrow morning. It's a good thing I do, as I have now noticed the telltale bulge associated with an inguinal hernia. I won't be 100% sure until tomorrow, but it looks like surgery might be in my cards after all.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.