Accidents that kill entire families?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-01-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is messed up.

Talk about wrong place wrong time and by only split seconds.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7811484.story

Anybody here have any personal experiences with that scale of tragedy?

On a semi-related note...

Last year a family that lived in Napa (dad, mom, two kids) were killed as they returned from vacation, same thing, drunken driver. Then a couple of days later a couple of assholes who heard about it on TV figured it would be the perfect house to loot, no one being there and all.

http://www.sonomanews.com/news/artic...e85bced2e.html

P.S. These parasites have just been convicted.
Old 08-01-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Accidents that kill entire families?

Just read about the St. Petersburg accident. Damn, so tragic. Heard about this earlier but didn't know the victims were from Orlando and were all adults coming back from a guys night out at the movies.

The drunk driver is only 20! He BETTER get life in prison. This can't be said often enough: fuck drunk drivers.
Old 08-01-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's terrible.
Old 08-02-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
This is messed up.

Talk about wrong place wrong time and by only split seconds.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7811484.story
2 of those 3 kids look like douchebags. Sucks about the dad and other kid though.
Old 08-02-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
2 of those 3 kids look like douchebags. Sucks about the dad and other kid though.
Oh man...you suck.
Old 08-02-10, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man remember this bitch...well her husband is trying to profit from this tragedy. What a fuckhead.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/bre...-1225897887780
Old 08-02-10, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not talking about that weird creepy one on the right are you?
Old 08-02-10, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just choked on a cracker. haha
Old 08-02-10, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Your not talking about that weird creepy one on the right are you?
Far left and far right. The other kid looks like a pothead and the dad seems ok.
Old 08-02-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first week of September 1994...my very first week on my own after my field training I was on patrol in our county and responded to a bad crash.

A woman (not drunk) ran a stopsign and hit a pickup. She died, her boyfriend died and 2 of her 3 sons in the back seat died. In the pickup the 1 year old in the passenger seat died. Whats worse is the 1 year old was an only child and the parents had been trying to conceive for 5 years.

Sad story and I think about it every time I drive past that intersection. There is still a cross in the ditch by the field.

While this woman wasn't drunk, sometimes the smallest mistake can have dire consequences.
Old 08-02-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There was an accident in madison a few years back where a driver of a truck was leaning down to pick up a pack of cig's, during rushhour, didn't notice the cars stopped in front of him. Ran into the back of a car and killed the Baby and the grandmother who were the only 2 in the car. Imagine getting that call as a mother. Just sickening to lose your daughter and your mom at the same time.
Old 08-02-10, 08:41 AM
Banned

Last year a family that lived in Napa (dad, mom, two kids) were killed as they returned from vacation, same thing, drunken driver. Then a couple of days later a couple of assholes who heard about it on TV figured it would be the perfect house to loot, no one being there and all.

That's pretty low...akin to grave-robbing...and certainly adds to the grief of the surviving relatives. However, in the twisted "logic" of the criminal mind, some of them might actually think it is "okay" since "Well, they're dead anyway, and they don't need it anymore". I can envision the criminals explaining to cops that what they did was actually not as harmful as stealing from living persons. Or saying that, "at least there wasn't a possibility of the owners being physically harmed during the burglary" (or some other such attempt to justify the crime or minimize it).

However, this should be a good reminder to relatives to have someone house-sit whenever it is publicized that a family won't be at home. IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE A TRUSTED FRIEND, RELATIVE, COLLEAGUE, CONGREGATION MEMBER, ETC. STAY AT THE HOME OF THE DECEASED DURING THE WAKE/FUNERAL. We have done that for friends several times and had a best friend do that for us when my parents died and my father-in-law died. If nothing else, the friend can answer the phones, be there to receive anyone dropping by to pay respects or drop off food, etc. until the family returns home.
Old 08-02-10, 08:43 AM
Banned

That's pretty low...akin to grave-robbing...and certainly adds to the grief of the surviving relatives. However, in the twisted "logic" of the criminal mind, some of them might actually think it is "okay" since "Well, they're dead anyway, and they don't need it anymore". I can envision the criminals explaining to cops that what they did was actually not as harmful as stealing from living persons. Or saying that, "at least there wasn't a possibility of the owners being physically harmed during the burglary" (or some other such attempt to justify the crime or minimize it).

However, this should be a good reminder to relatives to have someone house-sit whenever it is publicized that a family won't be at home. IT'S ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA TO HAVE A TRUSTED FRIEND, RELATIVE, COLLEAGUE, CONGREGATION MEMBER, ETC. STAY AT THE HOME OF THE DECEASED DURING THE WAKE/FUNERAL. (sorry for all caps, but can't emphasize this enough...especially since grieving family members often don't think of it). We have done this for friends several times, and had a best friend do it for us when my parents died and my father-in-law died. If nothing else, the friend can answer the phones, be there to receive anyone dropping by to pay respects or drop off food, etc. until the family returns home.
Old 08-02-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was an urban legend story...
Family goes on vacation in Volkswagen beetle. Never heard from again. Disappear off the face of the earth. Few months later some workers in a junk yard noticed bad smell coming from two semi cabs that are stuck together from being in a highway head-on collision. They pry the two cabs apart and find the Volkswagon squished between them.
Old 08-02-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The driver will get 4 years max.
Old 08-02-10, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
There was an urban legend story...
Family goes on vacation in Volkswagen beetle. Never heard from again. Disappear off the face of the earth. Few months later some workers in a junk yard noticed bad smell coming from two semi cabs that are stuck together from being in a highway head-on collision. They pry the two cabs apart and find the Volkswagon squished between them.
This urban legend was tested (and busted) by the Mythbusters:

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/e...act_and_1.html
Old 08-02-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

It was a while back now, but here in New Mexico, Dad, Mom, and three kids were driving to Grandma's house for Christmas. A drunk driver named Gordon House was driving the wrong way on the interstate, had a head-on collision, and killed the whole family except Dad, who recovered.

Grandma was devastated. Her response was to become an activist, and spent the next five or so years getting stronger DWI laws. There was a lot of resistance, of course, because driving drunk was an accepted part of New Mexico culture.

House served 10 years, plus 2 years parole. It took the better part of a decade before he was locked up. His parole should be over in a few months.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 08-02-10 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man that was like the biggest story ever too.
Old 08-02-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to school with a dude, and his family were all heading out on a roadtrip but he didn't want to go so he stayed home. The ended up losing control of the car and driving off a mountainside and plunged into the lake. It was his Mom, brother and sister. He had no dad.
Old 08-02-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Back in 2006 there was a family of 4 that was killed at a freeway off-ramp in Scottsdale when an illegal immigrant (from Turkey) rammed their minivan from behind at ~40 mph while they were stopped at a light. It took over a year to charge the guy and the last I heard he was allowed to return to Turkey to renew a work visa and was supposed to return. I don't know if he ever came back, I moved out of state and haven't heard anything about it since.
Old 08-02-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...-crash-100802/

This isn't sounding too great either.
Old 08-02-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My dad's best friend from college and his entire family (three kids and wife) were killed in their sleep by carbon monoxide poisoning when the furnace in the vacation house they were staying in malfunctioned. This happened more than thirty years ago. I think furnaces and associated codes are much safer now. Still, this has ensured that almost the first thing I do upon moving into a new house is install a bunch of carbon monoxide sensors and make sure that they work.
Old 08-03-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the news today: Six teens drown in LA river.

Six teens drowned after they waded into unfamiliar waters and fell into a deeper part of the Red River in Shreveport, Louisiana, officials said.

One additional member of the group was rescued, Shreveport Assistant Fire Chief Fred Sanders told CNN.

He said no one in the group of teens, who ranged in age from 13 to 18, could swim.

The victims were part of two families, and three of the victims were brothers, he said.

Divers on scene said the river bed drops from a shallow area to 20 feet, Sanders said.

People nearby heard the teens screaming for help, CNN affiliate KSLA reported.

Local ministers were in the area counseling grief-stricken family members Monday evening, KSLA said.

"Please lift this family up in prayer," Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover told KSLA.
Old 08-03-10, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
In the news today: Six teens drown in LA river.
I just don't get how people don't know how to swim? Why go in the water if you don't know how?

Most people I know learned when they were a little kid.

I'm always hearing about drownings of people venturing into the lakes and rivers out here in Texas - that drowned because they didn't know how to swim. I mean, WTF?

While I feel bad for the families of the six in LA, it's all senseless and could have been prevented...
Old 08-03-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WallyOPD View Post
Back in 2006 there was a family of 4 that was killed at a freeway off-ramp in Scottsdale when an illegal immigrant (from Turkey)
We really need to buckle down on our [Turkish] borders.

This thread is a total drag.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.