Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Does Christina Hendricks have a body women should aspire to?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-28-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[caveman voice] This article make Giantrobo very happy and make Giantrobo very sad all at same time. [/cavemen voice]. Sad because I know that anything over size 0 will still be considered FAT in our society, but it's nice to dream....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

By Tom Geoghegan BBC News Magazine

Link Here

Christina Hendricks, who plays sassy secretary Joan Harris in television drama Mad Men, has been identified as the woman with a body others should healthily aspire to. But how realistic is it for women to look like her ?

She's the unlikely star of Mad Men, the foxy secretary who sashays through the offices of advertising agency Sterling Cooper as if she runs it.

And if it was today, and not the 1960s, then maybe she would.

Her hips are probably the most hypnotic on television, and now Christina Hendricks, who plays Joan Harris (nee Holloway), and is reportedly a size 14, has had her body officially endorsed by the British government.

I spoilered the rest of the article for length.

Spoiler:
"Christina Hendricks is absolutely fabulous," says Equalities Minister Lynne Featherstone, who held up Hendricks' outline as an ideal shape for women.

Highlighting the "overexposure" of skinny models and the impact they have on body image among young people, Ms Featherstone went on: "We need more of these role models. There is such a sensation when there is a curvy role model. It shouldn't be so unusual."

So what makes Hendricks' figure distinctive, and how attainable is it?

In many ways, the character revolutionised perceptions of beauty on television screens, says the Los Angeles Times television critic, Mary McNamara.

"When Joan first showed up on American TV, she turned the beauty ideal on its ear, reminding everyone that generous curves were once considered sexy, and that pre-Twiggy, women's clothing was designed to accommodate and enhance ample breasts and hips and thighs.

"Marilyn Monroe often wore a size 12 and very thin women wore padded bras and often had to shop in the boys department to find clothes. Hendricks is, of course, gorgeous by any era's standards and shows no signs of succumbing to the traditional pressure to slim down."

Unlike actresses America Ferrara (who plays Ugly Betty) and Britain's Kate Winslet, Ms Hendricks has kept her full figure, adds McNamara, who last week reviewed Mad Men Series 4.

That figure is reportedly in possession of dimensions around 36-32-36 - although some reports suggest 38-32-38 - and her breasts variously described as a C or D cup.

That kind of body requires a lot of exercise and healthy eating to maintain, says Deanne Jade, a psychologist at the National Centre for Eating Disorders.

"Usually in the real world, the bigger breast goes along with a bigger tummy, wider waist or protruding abdomen.
'Stop objectifying us'
Continue reading the main story

"I would prefer women not to be appraised as objects of appearance but rather on what they are able to do, but given the spread of BMI and weight [issues], having a realistic image of size 14 is at least more appropriate"

Professor Janet Treasure, expert in body image, Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London

"So it's unusual to have someone with these curves. Therefore to get a figure like that, you would have to work hard or be naturally well-endowed."

While she agrees with the minister that role models need to be a fuller and more realistic shape, Ms Jade says women with eating disorders will always seek out images of the thinnest women to confirm their own distorted view of how they look. And magazines they read are full of stereotyping images that link "thin" with "success".

"It's an interesting soundbite but it takes more than that to change the messages that are going out."
Wedding dress corset Corsetry: One way to an hour-glass figure

Identifying any particular body shape as the ideal one is fraught with difficulty and can just add to female anxiety, says Shade Adeoye, who is researching female perceptions of body image for a PhD at Leicester University.

She says Hendricks has a much more realistic figure than many models, but women looking to match it will end up falling short.

"I would say they will be almost 100% disappointed, because her level of upkeep will be far higher than for a normal person. The kind of money you need to spend - on the gym, cosmetics or even new breasts - is far beyond a normal person working nine to five.
What makes Joan special?
Continue reading the main story

"Joan is a wonderful character: strong, funny, sexually alluring but also - as fans of the show will know - admirable. In Matthew Weiner's world, she was on the one hand the ideal office manager: capable, assertive and sexy, and then was revealed to be just as insecure as the rest of the characters, desperate to get married and acquire some kind of status. She ran the office with a rod of iron, fairly unsupportive of Peggy's proto-feminist determination to rise in the hierarchy. But she was also shown ultimately not to be her new husband's passive victim"

Tim Teeman, The Times US correspondent

* The look of Mad Men

"There is a possibility of getting this body by exercise and being careful what you eat - some people have ideal bodies without having surgery - but it requires a big investment in time and money. It's a full-time job in itself."

Given her popularity as a character, can we expect to see a proliferation of Joan-shaped women on television? There are some signs, says Ms McNamara.

"One hopes that the very obvious proof that women who weigh more than 98lbs [44.5kg] can be sexy will translate beyond the Joan character, and I think we're seeing a little of that with shows like Drop Dead Diva, Huge and the upcoming Mike and Molly.

"But none of those characters is treated with the same kind of bombshell reverence that Mad Men creator Matt Weiner clearly has for Joan."

Obligatory youtube post since it's been making the rounds here on dvdtalk.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKTNDgCTyVU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKTNDgCTyVU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 07-28-10, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Does Christina Hendricks have a body women should aspire to?

Old 07-28-10, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy answer: Yes!
Old 07-28-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Her turd cutter and her harsh face are nothing special, but I'd rather hit that than this...

Old 07-28-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes. Love me some redheads.
Old 07-28-10, 02:22 AM
Banned by request

I don't think every single woman should aspire for that body type or any one specific body type, but I do think society at large should show a wider range of bodies as attractive.

That being said, I would bang her so hard her red hair would be white by the time I was through.
Old 07-28-10, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And............. Now I need to change my underwear. Thanks to this forum, this is the sixth time today.
Old 07-28-10, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Uhhh...go into any office building in the country and there are a dozen women that look like that. Why is she so special?
Old 07-28-10, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I don't think every single woman should aspire for that body type or any one specific body type, but I do think society at large should show a wider range of bodies as attractive.
I agree 100%. Hell, as much as I loooove Hendrick's body type, I still don't want society telling me what I should like or what body type women should aspire too. I have a wide range of likes when it comes to body types.

That being said, I would bang her so hard her red hair would be white by the time I was through.
Get in line Buster, get in line....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-28-10 at 02:32 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Uhhh...go into any office building in the country and there are a dozen women that look like that. Why is she so special?
Uhhhh....That's just it. She isn't. She's closer to what, as you yourself point out, is the Norm for many women. Yet our Society still pushes unrealistically thin women at us(Young girls) and says "this is what you should look like".

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-28-10 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

because this gif never ever gets old (and i'm one who thinks Mad Men is overrated horse manure)
Old 07-28-10, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This.

and she could hurt me in about 3 seconds.
Old 07-28-10, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Where do you work?

I agree with you Robo, women have many different body types so I'm not in favor of singling out any one shape. There are thin women and curvy ones, it would be nice to see more of the realistic spectrum. I have to constantly reinforce to my daughter that what's generally featured doesn't reflect her own beauty and figure (not to mention her color).

It would especially be nice since there's are successful short, pudgy and average stature/looking men in Hollywood.

I love that CH embraces her curves and I find her to be very attractive (she has red hair, that's a plus in my book! I like the redheads.)
Old 07-28-10, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post

Agreed.

This is something that has always annoyed me about what "real women" look like. Real women look like whatever they're born with. For some that might be a curvier physique and for others it might be naturally thin and petite. There is no single body type that can be labeled more womanly than the next.

As much as I would like to have Christina Hendricks' curves, that's simply not how I'm built and is therefore not a good body for me to aspire to.
Old 07-28-10, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Song View Post
Real women look like whatever they're born with. For some that might be a curvier physique and for others it might be naturally thin and petite.

"Aspire" is probably the wrong work because I believe that the real aspiration should be for women to be comfortable with their bodies, no matter whether it's curvy, thin or anything in between. Sadly if you look at society in general, you'd think that the average woman is already thin and/or petite. But for many little girls, that's already what a "real woman" looks like because nothing else is represented.

Last edited by iggystar; 07-28-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-28-10, 09:02 AM

Christina Hendricks has "red hair"... but she ain't no redhead.
Old 07-28-10, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
Christina Hendricks has "red hair"... but she ain't no redhead.

Lol, how do you know that?
Old 07-28-10, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by iggystar View Post
"Aspire" is probably the wrong work because I believe that the real aspiration should be for women to be comfortable with their bodies, no matter whether it's curvy, thin or anything in between. Sadly if you look at society in general, you'd think that the average woman is already thin and/or petite. But for many little girls, that's already what a "real woman" looks like because nothing else is represented.

I can agree with that. I guess my problem is that we're always shifting to one body type or another. It's sort of an us vs. them kind of thing. There's little room for variety.
Old 07-28-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It says so Wikipedia
Old 07-28-10, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Song View Post
I can agree with that. I guess my problem is that we're always shifting to one body type or another. It's sort of an us vs. them kind of thing. There's little room for variety.
True. I still haven't really seen where being curvy has been really popular or all acceptable. Whenever a celeb has curves or some booty (JLo, Beyonce, Christina) a big deals is made of it, it's commented on, this or that actress/singer has paved the way for it to be acceptable, when it should just be natural.

But, you know women are scrutinized for just about everything anyways, weight gain, weight loss. Thin women get pegged as having anorexia at the slightest fluctuation of weight.

My mother spent most of her adult life being very thin (plus, she's 5'8") and people didn't have any problem commenting on her weight negatively (you're too skinny). To the point she actively tried to gain even though she was perfectly healthy. She gained weight after she had my brother is now trying to lose.
Old 07-28-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hendricks was a natural blonde when she began coloring her hair red at the age of ten.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Hendricks
Old 07-28-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
It says so Wikipedia
Awe. That's not nearly as exciting as the 'carpet and drapes' story that I wanted to hear about. Booo.
Old 07-28-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As a woman born with an athletic, petite figure, I'm glad if men can see beauty in women in all shapes and sizes. I think she's beautiful, but I would not want to look like that. I like being small up top and being the size that I am. That said, she certainly has that 'ba-donk-adonk' appeal that I could never have.
Old 07-28-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-28-10, 11:05 AM
Banned

What I don't understand is how this guy, who looks like Mac, from Mac and Me, is tapping that ass.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.