October 12th 10pm: Main Event Day 6

October 19th 9pm: Main Event Day 7
October 19th 10pm: Main Event Day 7

October 26th 9pm: Main Event Day 8
October 26th 10pm: Main Event Day 8

November 2nd 9pm: Main Event Final
November 2nd 10pm: Main Event Final

November 9th 9pm: Main Event Final Table

Note: if you know something, please use spoilers.

I checked out a bit of the Player's Championship event (the first day of it) when I was there in May. The room is simply immense. Pretty boring to watch in person too.
Old 07-26-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2010 World Series of Poker on ESPN

Watching people play poker is boring.

The only exception I saw was when I watched them play from 45 players down to 9 during the main event last year. The hooting and hollering over every hand and the tension the entire time was great.

I'm still bummed that ESPN continues to opt not to show some of the other non-holdem bracelet events. I miss watching stud events, omaha events, etc. I don't get how they don't want to show them because the ratings are lower but still insist on carrying WNBA games.
Old 07-27-10, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Agreed - show me some stud, Omaha 8, some razz. But I also understand. The number of us who actually watch and understand those episodes has to be tiny.
Old 07-27-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Granted, you don't get the hole card cams, but I believe ESPN3.com (if you get it) was showing most, if not all, of the WSOP events (I assume final tables) online. I figure they'll do the same next year, if you're really that interested.
Old 07-27-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah but the hole card cams are kind of important, that's sort of why nobody gave a shit about poker on TV until then
Old 07-27-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Granted, you don't get the hole card cams, but I believe ESPN3.com (if you get it) was showing most, if not all, of the WSOP events (I assume final tables) online. I figure they'll do the same next year, if you're really that interested.
They only showed five events, I think.
Old 07-29-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
yeah but the hole card cams are kind of important, that's sort of why nobody gave a shit about poker on TV until then
They're important to me, but I thought I remembered some people liking the live final table PPV thing w/o hole card cams they did a few years back, hence my if you're that interested statement. Whatever.
Old 08-04-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Most of those folks looked pretty bored at the freeroll TOC. Annie Duke looked like she was waiting to have a root canal done. Did she say one word at the table?
Old 08-10-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Hard to believe that chick laid down the boat.
Old 08-11-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

She won an online multi-table tournament with a sticker on the screen covering her 2 cards the whole tourney. I believe she said she only looked once the whole time.

It was a very good lay down I agree, and I wonder how many other pros would have folded as well, I can only assume not too many.
Old 08-12-10, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

she's not folding that without the "whats a flush" comment, guy should have kept his mouth shut

too bad she came off as a total **** during the episode

i'm also getting tired of people losing a 60/40 favorite and then saying "so sick" afterwards

no, so sick is the T7 vs AQ -- 77xAA hand. That's sick. Losing your AQ to KJ isn't sick.
Old 08-12-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
she's not folding that without the "whats a flush" comment, guy should have kept his mouth shut

too bad she came off as a total **** during the episode

i'm also getting tired of people losing a 60/40 favorite and then saying "so sick" afterwards

no, so sick is the T7 vs AQ -- 77xAA hand. That's sick. Losing your AQ to KJ isn't sick.
yeah I was reading 2+2 thread on the day 1 of the wsop tv event, the overwhelming response from the posters was that:
  1. her 44 lay down was good
  2. she came off as a bitch
  3. she is overweight

you know how people on the internet tend to be mean....
Old 08-13-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by andy434343 View Post
yeah I was reading 2+2 thread on the day 1 of the wsop tv event, the overwhelming response from the posters was that:
  1. her 44 lay down was good
  2. she came off as a bitch
  3. she is overweight

you know how people on the internet tend to be mean....
That was basically my thought. Great lay-down (I posted my last comment while I was watching). But otherwise, a fat bitchy player. Good to see her bounced early, particularly by that old man.
Old 08-13-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it was odd to see her act like a bitch though, every thing i've seen her on (Poker After Dark, WSOPE, etc.) showed her as a very humble likeable person.

Perhaps early success brought some arrogance her way.
Old 08-13-10, 01:39 PM

I didn't think she was THAT bad. A few snarky comments, but she's 21. I'm ... a little older ... and I still make the occasional snarky comment.

The bitching about him calling with QQ was silly though. Personally, I think she was pissed off at herself and not sure how to deal with it with the cameras rolling. Not ready to write her off as a total bitch just yet.
Old 08-14-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't think that she was that bad either. Everyone has the right to be upset when things don't go the way they hope in a tournament like that. On top of this there are cameras watching and listening to their every move during times of frustration.
Old 08-16-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a week or more behind, but good to see Huck win the ToC .
Old 08-16-10, 11:07 PM

I've decided that I can't stand the TOC type events. It's a sorry formula to pit "big names" up against each other. The problem is that they all sit around looking surly and afflicted and annoyed and, quite frankly, bored with each other. I'd rather see them facing off against a table of nobodies, see how they try to get reads on people, see how they adapt to new and unknown players and strategies.

I almost always find myself pulling for the big names in the main event, but watching them play each other is just brutal.
Old 08-17-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
I've decided that I can't stand the TOC type events. It's a sorry formula to pit "big names" up against each other. The problem is that they all sit around looking surly and afflicted and annoyed and, quite frankly, bored with each other. I'd rather see them facing off against a table of nobodies, see how they try to get reads on people, see how they adapt to new and unknown players and strategies.

I almost always find myself pulling for the big names in the main event, but watching them play each other is just brutal.
I agree, I had no interest in watching this tournament. As soon as Barry Greenstein started comparing the players at the table to the original dream team, I turned it off. You have to be pretty fucking full of yourself and the others around you, to compare yourselves to the best basketball team assembled of all time.

I don't find the appeal that many people have to want to see all these pros sitting next to each other in a tournement that they did not have to pay to enter, all while they are talking about themselves.
Old 08-17-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with all of this. Though I wonder if the TOC would have more appeal if big-names-vs.-big-names poker wasn't all over the place. High Stakes Poker, Pokerstars Big Game, Poker Superstars, Poker After Dark, etc. have all watered down the impact of a tourney like the TOC. We don't *care* to see Lederer vs. Chan because we've seen it 15 other times on other shows.

Add on top of it that it's a freeroll and the payouts are relatively small, and you end up with a bunch of indifferent players going through the motions. And even worse is that the airing of the tournament takes up 2 hours of time slots that can be used to air more compelling events/tourneys.
Old 08-22-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

That must-bet-the-nuts penalty was bizarre (never heard of that), although less bizarre than Moon not betting it to begin with.
Old 08-23-10, 01:41 AM

Yeah, honestly I'm not sure Moon even knew what he himself had. His explanation of not betting anything was absurd. He claims to have known exactly the type of hand his opponent had (nothing), but then further claims that he needs to see his cards to "get a read."

Umm ... dude ... if you knew what he had already (you didn't), you've already got your read (you don't) and you don't need to check the nuts to improve it.
Old 08-23-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

newsflash: Moon doesn't know WTF he's doing

I LOL @ the 1-hand penalty though

Oh noes, I can't play my 96o in early position?
Old 08-23-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

The irony is that ESPN puts a guy like Moon at the feature table (with no other recognizable faces) for a one-hour segment in the M.E. and he's pretty damn boring. He was a nice story last year, with the operative phrase being 'last year.'
Old 08-23-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see Darvin Moon as being the type of player who can use the information (the other guys cards), to his advantage in future hands against the guy, so I did not think his excuse for not betting the nuts made any sense to me.

It would be like if Jamie Gold/Jerry Yang did the same thing if they were on the feature table. If Demidov, Fossilman, or Eastgate did that, I would totally believe their excuse for checking the nuts, because I feel they are the types of players who can gain an edge with that knowledge. Moon?......no fucking way. Moon is good at catching cards, that's it, in my mind at least.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.