Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

You have to have a valid driver's licence to buy tobacco?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-18-10, 07:18 AM
Li

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened twice before I got my license renewed last week. I just turned 25, and I'd forgotten you needed to renewed your license at that age, especially since I'd just paid to have it replaced a month earlier. I went to a gas station I've been to many, many times and whose management requires them to check ID no matter how many times you've been there. Normally they just pretend to look at it because they know me, but right after my birthday I was refused sale of tobacco because the woman noticed my license had expired 2 days before. I protested of course, especially because she'd checked me out many times before, but she wouldn't budge.

Annoyed, I went to a different gas station across the street, but was again told they couldn't sell it to me. I was told the transaction required them to swip a license for their computer to make the sale, and they claimed my ID wouldn't be accepted by their register. They didn't even try. Sale refused again.

I don't get it, is the law that you need a valid/current driver's license or that you need proof of your legal age? If the latter, and that ID would have been proof 2 days before, why not then? If the second place was telling the truth, that's one thing, but the first?
Old 07-18-10, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 159 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: You have to have a valid driver's licence to buy tobacco?

Originally Posted by Li View Post
This happened twice before I got my license renewed last week. I just turned 25, and I'd forgotten you needed to renewed your license at that age, especially since I'd just paid to have it replaced a month earlier. I went to a gas station I've been to many, many times and whose management requires them to check ID no matter how many times you've been there. Normally they just pretend to look at it because they know me, but right after my birthday I was refused sale of tobacco because the woman noticed my license had expired 2 days before. I protested of course, especially because she'd checked me out many times before, but she wouldn't budge.

Annoyed, I went to a different gas station across the street, but was again told they couldn't sell it to me. I was told the transaction required them to swip a license for their computer to make the sale, and they claimed my ID wouldn't be accepted by their register. They didn't even try. Sale refused again.

I don't get it, is the law that you need a valid/current driver's license or that you need proof of your legal age? If the latter, and that ID would have been proof 2 days before, why not then? If the second place was telling the truth, that's one thing, but the first?

In most states it doesn't have to be a driver's license, it can be a state issued id, passport, or military id. Stores can be fined a lot of money if they sell to minors. They can also lose their license to sell tobacco and any citations can go on the cashier/tellers criminal record. You also aren't supposed to be driving on an expired license even if it only expired 2 days earlier.
Old 07-18-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts

I always run into a similar situation. I was able to renew my license online since I had a clean record and they send you a sticker to put on the back that says the ID is valid 4 years from the expiration date on the front.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to take it out of my wallet's window sleeve to show the back. I mean I'm 35 and this ID shows I was well over 21 when the expiration date on the front was reached. What did I go all Benjamin Button because my ID expired?
Old 07-18-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you walk to the gas station, or drive?
Old 07-18-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It must be silly season .... at a midtown NYC supermarket (Food Emporium) the man in front of me was carded because he had a six pack of beer. The kicker is that he was obviously very long removed from being "underage" and had pulled out his Medicare card and AARP membership card from his wallet looking for a photo id.
Old 07-18-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 792 Likes on 576 Posts

An expired license is an invalid license. The store doesn't know why it's invalid and doesn't care. Could be the info was incorrect the first time or there is a reason the state didn't renew it. Their ass is in a sling if they sell to someone who has an invalid license.

The only person you should be annoyed with is yourself for not renewing in a timely manner.
Old 07-18-10, 09:19 AM

Different states have different rules. Where I live you have to ask for ID on anyone who looks to be age 40 or younger.
Old 07-18-10, 09:30 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

They're trying to implement something similar here in Utah for alcohol. You buy alcohol, they swipe your id and it gets checked for validity. Then, some bright legislator got the idea to put your name and address on a database, so that if there are any recent unsolved hit and runs, they can round up anybody who was drinking in the area at that time.
Old 07-18-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
It must be silly season .... at a midtown NYC supermarket (Food Emporium) the man in front of me was carded because he had a six pack of beer. The kicker is that he was obviously very long removed from being "underage" and had pulled out his Medicare card and AARP membership card from his wallet looking for a photo id.
Some modern registers require the cashier to type in the customer's DOB. If you look old enough, most cashiers will just let you tell them, but some want to see the ID.
Old 07-18-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The only person you should be annoyed with is yourself for not renewing in a timely manner.
What?? Personal responsibility?? My god, Tom - it's like I'm hearing Ward talking to the Beaver!
Old 07-18-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Some modern registers require the cashier to type in the customer's DOB. If you look old enough, most cashiers will just let you tell them, but some want to see the ID.
This one cashier where I shop always puts in her DOB if you're old enough.
Old 07-18-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Then, some bright legislator got the idea to put your name and address on a database, so that if there are any recent unsolved hit and runs, they can round up anybody who was drinking in the area at that time.
Please tell me you made that up.....
Old 07-18-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
What?? Personal responsibility?? My god, Tom - it's like I'm hearing Ward talking to the Beaver!
June: "Ward, later tonight can you speak to the beaver?"

Old 07-18-10, 11:30 AM
Li

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Did you walk to the gas station, or drive?
I drove. I stated I wasn't aware it had expired a couple days earlier.
Old 07-18-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

June: "Ward, later tonight can you speak to the beaver?"

Old 07-18-10, 11:41 AM
Li

An expired license is an invalid license. The store doesn't know why it's invalid and doesn't care. Could be the info was incorrect the first time or there is a reason the state didn't renew it. Their ass is in a sling if they sell to someone who has an invalid license.

Come on, give me a break. Are you perfect? I highly doubt it. I'd never had to get it renewed up to that point, so why is it unreasonable to think I overlooked it?

And they don't know why it expired? It stated the date of expiration was the date of my 25th birthday. It happens to everyone. Their ass is not in a sling, figuratively or otherwise.

I've actually been told by a police officer that there's a 30 grace period after the expiration date to get it renewed, so driving was not illegal.
Old 07-18-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Dude, you've been here for 9 years. You're acting far too surprised that not everyone is on your side.
Old 07-18-10, 11:51 AM
Li

I completely understand if some refuses to sell something to someone with questionable ID, but a driver's license with a month old photo that JUST expired because the person hit their 25th birthday is not a reason not to sell to someone. It's NOT questionable. I don't care what anyone says. There is no law that sates a person has to show an ID at all, let alone an unexpired one. They check ID because it's illegal to sell to someone underage, and they don't want to make the mistake of assuming someone is legal when it turns out they're not. My ID proved I was of age. Period.
Old 07-18-10, 11:55 AM
Li

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Dude, you've been here for 9 years. You're acting far too surprised that not everyone is on your side.
Not surprised, and I know the game. I was just calling him out on it. Don't assume I have any emotion invested in caring what he or anyone else says, especially when its a blatant attempt to get a rise out of someone. If he gets a kick out of believing he did, more power to him, I suppose. I posted this out of boredom, not outrage. I wasn't even pissed at the idiotic woman, just slightly annoyed.

Last edited by Li; 07-18-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not trying to get a rise... just trying to figure out your attitude of entitlement. How did they know you weren't a state inspector trying to see if they're following correct procedures?

But, whatever. Ignorance is bliss, ya know?
Old 07-18-10, 12:05 PM
bcd

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

There is no law that sates a person has to show an ID at all, let alone an unexpired one.
Quite often, carding anyone who looks under 30, or 40, is more of a company policy. They obviously do this to save their ass.

BCD
Old 07-18-10, 12:30 PM

So if you are a tourist what do you swipe? Their countries ID?
Old 07-18-10, 12:37 PM

I completely understand if some refuses to sell something to someone with questionable ID, but a driver's license with a month old photo that JUST expired because the person hit their 25th birthday is not a reason not to sell to someone. It's NOT questionable. I don't care what anyone says. There is no law that sates a person has to show an ID at all, let alone an unexpired one. They check ID because it's illegal to sell to someone underage, and they don't want to make the mistake of assuming someone is legal when it turns out they're not. My ID proved I was of age. Period.
whose not to say that you "lost" that ID 3 years ago and some 17 year old kid who looks a HELL of a lot like you has been using it for the past 3 years to get smokes? The day it expired is the day his free ticket has expired.
Old 07-18-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at a Target that sells wine and beer. We have to scan a valid ID from everyone who's buying. To prevent angry customers, before I scan the alcohol, I tell them that it requires an ID. I think by not waiting till I actually scan the item, they react pretty cool to it--one senior citizen even did a little dance when I asked him.

Now it IS kind of weird that we require an ID for cough medicine and dust remover. When they ask about that, I just say "Kids have probably found some way to get high off it... but people over 18 know not to do that."
Old 07-18-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've actually been told by a police officer that there's a 30 grace period after the expiration date to get it renewed, so driving was not illegal.
I have not heard of something like this, and wouldn't trust my ass to a cop's verbal statement. "but Office Krupke said i could drive for 30 days after it expired."

He was probably looking for an easy arrest if he can catch you driving on an expired license.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.