Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Old 07-13-10, 07:27 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

I'm going under the laser on Thursday, so there's still time for me to back out! Just wanted to see if anyone here has done PRK and what their experiences are.
Old 07-13-10, 07:33 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

I have a friend that did. If you can't do LASIK, it is the way to go. Longer recovery, etc. But it's a new life.
Old 07-13-10, 07:38 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Yeah, apparently I'm not a good candidate for Lasik. The longer recovery thing sucks. Sounds like I have to wear some sort of bandage contact for 5 days after the surgery. The upside is that there is no flap, so there's less chance of significant eye damage if I were ever to get hit in the eye.
Old 07-13-10, 11:06 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 32,369
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

I did it. Last minute change by the surgeon over LASIK. I had a little bit of "material" around my eye he was afraid would get under the flap. He said some some surgeons might proceed but he wasn't comfortable. So I went with PRK.

6 months later and I'm fine, but it takes a solid week before you can function normally. Don't plan on driving until you get cleared either. It took almost a week and a half for my eyes to be clear enough to comfortably drive. After that it was ok.

My big recommendation is to do everything they say, leave the bandage contacts in (even if you don't think you need them) and take it easy. I asked them if I could take the bandage contacts out and they said ok, but it was too early. I should have left them in longer but I thought they might have been blurring my vision. That prolonged recovery.

Anyway, I recommend it. Just understand it's very different than the nearly immediate results of LASIK.
Old 07-13-10, 11:10 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I have a friend that did. If you can't do LASIK, it is the way to go. Longer recovery, etc. But it's a new life.
For the love of God, after the surgery do not keep the ice pack on your balls for too long.
Old 07-15-10, 10:47 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I did it. Last minute change by the surgeon over LASIK. I had a little bit of "material" around my eye he was afraid would get under the flap. He said some some surgeons might proceed but he wasn't comfortable. So I went with PRK.

6 months later and I'm fine, but it takes a solid week before you can function normally. Don't plan on driving until you get cleared either. It took almost a week and a half for my eyes to be clear enough to comfortably drive. After that it was ok.

My big recommendation is to do everything they say, leave the bandage contacts in (even if you don't think you need them) and take it easy. I asked them if I could take the bandage contacts out and they said ok, but it was too early. I should have left them in longer but I thought they might have been blurring my vision. That prolonged recovery.

Anyway, I recommend it. Just understand it's very different than the nearly immediate results of LASIK.
Interesting about the driving. They told me I'd be fine driving the day after (which I am) to a follow up appointment.

I have an appointment next Tuesday to take out the bandage contacts. I don't plan on taking them out.

I hope I can function next week, I'm still working. I didn't think to take any time off because when I initially scheduled, I was going to be getting Lasik. The doc switched it on me at the last appointment. As long as I can sit in front of a computer and see something, I should be ok.
Old 07-15-10, 11:33 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 4,531
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Just had it done last Friday. The actual procedure took 24 seconds in one eye, 28 in the other.

After the surgery, expect little flashes of not really pain, but like there's little shards of glass in your eye. This lasts for most of the first day.

Prepare to sleep all day of the surgery and most of that weekend. There's not a whole lot you can do.

Some people are told they will have pain on the third day, but I've had no pain and didn't need the Tylenol 3 they gave me.

They took my "bandage" contacts out Tuesday, but I has some irritation in my left eye so I put it back in Tuesday night. Yesterday I popped it out and everything's fine.

I'm now off the antibiotic and Allregen drops, but the steroid drops are still four times a day.

I've technically been cleared to drive (I'm 20/40 in both eyes right now), but as the day wears on your vision gets weaker. I'm still not going to attempt it for a few more days.

Be prepared to see your eye doctor more than originally scheduled -- for at least one extra visit.

As far as computer use, I'd say you're going to have issues on a laptop and smaller monitors for a least four days or so; I've had to zoom webpages and e-mails for most of the week. And again your vision will get weaker as the day goes on (and for the record I took the week off).

Last edited by Adboy151; 07-15-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-15-10, 12:06 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Originally Posted by Adboy151 View Post
Just had it done last Friday. The actual procedure took 24 seconds in one eye, 28 in the other.
Awesome!

After the surgery, expect little flashes of not really pain, but like there's little shards of glass in your eye. This lasts for most of the first day.
Not awesome!
Prepare to sleep all day of the surgery and most of that weekend. There's not a whole lot you can do.
I have a party at my house Saturday night for my birthday. Going to have to suck it up, unfortunately.
Some people are told they will have pain on the third day, but I've had no pain and didn't need the Tylenol 3 they gave me.
They never told me they would be giving any kind of meds, so I may be suffering through the pain.

They took my "bandage" contacts out Tuesday, but I has some irritation in my left eye so I put it back in Tuesday night. Yesterday I popped it out and everything's fine.
Interesting.

I'm now off the antibiotic and Allregen drops, but the steroid drops are still four times a day.
They only gave me script for antibiotic drops and I had to buy those eye drops in the little twisty plastic.

I've technically been cleared to drive (I'm 20/40 in both eyes right now), but as the day wears on your vision gets weaker. I'm still not going to attempt it for a few more days.
Damn, maybe I should've taken next week off from work.

Be prepared to see your eye doctor more than originally scheduled -- for at least one extra visit.
I think they do monthly visits, IIRC.

As far as computer use, I'd say you're going to have issues on a laptop and smaller monitors for a least four days or so; I've had to zoom webpages and e-mails for most of the week. And again your vision will get weaker as the day goes on (and for the record I took the week off).
Well, I work Monday, so hopefully my eyes are good by then.
Old 07-15-10, 12:58 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 32,369
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

About computers, the other thing is that it's not like "not wearing glasses blurry". Your vision is blurry no matter what distance you are looking at something. As someone who has been nearsighted and wearing glasses for over 20 years, it was so weird not being able to see things clearer just by moving closer. So you can find a sweet spot or squint and get by, but it's not comfortable. I tried to watch TV at home, and ended up just laying on the couch with a pillow over my eyes and listening, since it was much easier.

Also, I was EXTREMELY light sensitive. Lights in a room had to be off, I would wear sunglasses and then put the "blackout" glasses they gave me over them when I went outside. Since my wife was driving me around, I often just closed my eyes.

It was a solid week of this. LASIK would have got me back on track in a day or two. PRK is much different. The idea that you could drive yourself to a followup appointment the next day is insanity.

And I had a regime of about 4 different drops I had to use all day long, decreasing in frequency as the week went on. They had a printed handout with the schedule, and I was basically putting some kind of drop in my eyes every hour or two.

From eHow:
Immediate Recovery

# PRK surgery is sometimes preferred to LASIK because of the reduced risk of complications. LASIK involves cutting a flap in the cornea, and it is this flap that gives the greatest risk of infections and complications. PRK, rather, involves gently rubbing away the top layer of cornea, leaving less room for complications, but requiring a longer recovery period. The surgery is completely painless for the majority of patients. While there is some discomfort involved when the surgeon is wiping away the cornea, the patient will have been given pain medication, usually orally, as well as numbing drops for the eyes. The following couple of days will usually be the most painful. For this reason, most surgeons prescribe Vicodin and tetracaine drops that the patient may use as needed. This immediate recovery time (three days following the surgery) should be spent doing as little as possible, particularly as it pertains to using the eyes.

Long Term Recovery

# Five days out from the surgery, the patient will usually have his temporary "bandage" lenses removed and will be able to resume normal activities. The exception would be vigorous exercise, or any sport or activity that would result in eye contact (boxing, for example). Unlike LASIK patients, who often will have achieved the full benefits of the surgery by this time, PRK patients may have to wait up to six months to finally see exactly how the surgery went. They will be able to see during this time, and able to see well, but it may be premature to gauge the true limits of the patient's vision until six months out.
Old 07-15-10, 01:09 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

the doctor told me i could drive the next day.
Old 07-15-10, 01:14 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 4,531
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
About computers, the other thing is that it's not like "not wearing glasses blurry". Your vision is blurry no matter what distance you are looking at something. As someone who has been nearsighted and wearing glasses for over 20 years, it was so weird not being able to see things clearer just by moving closer. So you can find a sweet spot or squint and get by, but it's not comfortable. I tried to watch TV at home, and ended up just laying on the couch with a pillow over my eyes and listening, since it was much easier.

Also, I was EXTREMELY light sensitive. Lights in a room had to be off, I would wear sunglasses and then put the "blackout" glasses they gave me over them when I went outside. Since my wife was driving me around, I often just closed my eyes.

It was a solid week of this. LASIK would have got me back on track in a day or two. PRK is much different. The idea that you could drive yourself to a followup appointment the next day is insanity.

And I had a regime of about 4 different drops I had to use all day long, decreasing in frequency as the week went on. They had a printed handout with the schedule, and I was basically putting some kind of drop in my eyes every hour or two.[/URL]:
I did wear sunglasses indoors the day of the surgery and the next, but my light sensitivity hasn't been too bad. I still wear sunglasses when someone is driving me about (even on moderately cloudy days) or down to the mailbox

I will totally agree about the blurriness and finding a sweet spot.

Deftones, another thing to remember, that for the first three days or so, your vision will get worse day by day before it stabilizes.
Old 07-15-10, 01:15 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

all good info to know. thanks.
Old 07-15-10, 03:22 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 32,369
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
all good info to know. thanks.
I really want to hear if you can see well enough after PRK to drive the next day. LASIK, sure. But PRK...that'll be amazing. Maybe my eyes were much worse (-4.75 and -6)

Good luck!
Old 07-15-10, 04:16 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I really want to hear if you can see well enough after PRK to drive the next day. LASIK, sure. But PRK...that'll be amazing. Maybe my eyes were much worse (-4.75 and -6)

Good luck!
We shall see.
Old 07-15-10, 04:26 PM
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,876
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

OH and get a pre-nup signed before the surgery. There might be a slight chance seeing the wife 100% clear and realize how big of mistake you've been living under for years.
Old 07-15-10, 04:46 PM
  #16  
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Posts: 2,630
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

My wife, brother and myself had PRK surgery done. I agree with most posters above that the procedure itself is quick, and you'll need 5 days or so to recover with minimal to no discomfort (I only had one 'bad' day - day 3, but when I say 'bad' I mean that I 'felt' my eyes aching a bit). Just make sure to buy a good pair of sunglasses since you WILL be sensitive to light for a while. Hey, you might as well reward yourself with a nice pair of Ray Bans!

About PRK vs Lasik: one of my close friends happens to be an optometrist who did the surgery (at cost) for all 3 of us. He only does PRK if the patient insists, but he strongly believes PRK is the best way to go. Recovery is a bit longer, but from a long term perspective PRK is much safer. The flap Lasik creates will never fully heal as strong, so there are incidents where the flap can re-open (he told me about someone on a jet ski where water forcefully opened the flap). But in general doctors won't tell you that, since Lasik 'sells' better: operate today, have 20/20 tomorrow.

Good luck and the PRK procedure is one of the best things I've ever done.
Old 07-15-10, 08:54 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Had the surgery around 2:10pm. Was not a big deal. I was a tad nervous, but nothing major. He offered me a valium, but I declined. Total procedure was less than 10 minutes, and really only about a minute of that was w/ the laser.

Eyes burned a bit about an hour afterwards, however after taking some Tylenol 3 that they gave me and taking an hour nap, I feel fine. When I woke up, everything was crystal clear. Then, as I've been awake longer, everything has blurred back up.

As for driving tomorrow, Draven, you were right. They don't recommend it. I'm going to have to find someone to give me a lift to my appointment and watch my son for a bit.

Obviously I won't know the results on how well my eyes turn out, but the experience was about as positive as I could've imagined.
Old 07-15-10, 11:13 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 32,369
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Yeah, the actual process isn't too bad - glad it went well!

And yes, you get these bursts of clarity and then it fades away. I was reading license plates in the parking lot after the surgery and eventually got so I could hardly see at all. It was weird. I'm sure things will turn out great!
Old 07-16-10, 09:26 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

So last night sucked. Not because my eyes were a problem, but more because of the goggles they give you to sleep in. I can't sleep with stuff like that on, so I tossed and turned all night. Maybe 4 hours of sleep, if that. My eyes feel fine this morning. No pain. Major light sensitivity right now. FWIW, I can see completely fine and totally would be able to drive right now, but I'm not taking the chance in case my vision gets worse. I'm thinking how bad your eyes are may have something to do with your prescription. My prescription was pretty mild, so they didn't have to do much lasering.
Old 07-16-10, 09:44 AM
  #20  
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Posts: 2,630
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So last night sucked. Not because my eyes were a problem, but more because of the goggles they give you to sleep in. I can't sleep with stuff like that on, so I tossed and turned all night. Maybe 4 hours of sleep, if that. My eyes feel fine this morning. No pain. Major light sensitivity right now. FWIW, I can see completely fine and totally would be able to drive right now, but I'm not taking the chance in case my vision gets worse. I'm thinking how bad your eyes are may have something to do with your prescription. My prescription was pretty mild, so they didn't have to do much lasering.
Glad to hear your surgery went okay. 4 more days and you'll be fine
Old 07-17-10, 02:35 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Duluth, GA, USA
Posts: 37,782
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

With lasik, can the flaps come undone with casual underwater swimming (and opening the eyes underwater)?
Old 07-17-10, 10:25 AM
  #22  
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
Posts: 2,630
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

Originally Posted by Patman View Post
With lasik, can the flaps come undone with casual underwater swimming (and opening the eyes underwater)?
I believe not. It requires significant force - but it is possible.
Old 07-17-10, 04:04 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 75,098
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

my eyes feel much better today, but the light sensitivity is horrific. they are watering like a mofo. oh, and i can't see for shit. everything is really blurry. driving was fun!
Old 07-17-10, 05:21 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 10,027
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Who has had PRK eye surgery before?

I'm glad it went well.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.