Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet when you ride a bike?
Always
30.65%
Sometimes
11.29%
Occasionally
3.23%
Depends (explain below)
6.45%
Never
45.16%
I wear a helmet whenever i twikoff
3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wear a helmet when you ride a bicycle?

Old 07-08-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Do you wear a helmet when you ride a bicycle?

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I make my little one wear a helmet while he's in his trailer but then I'm up on the bike without one. I've never worn one in all my 30-some years either, and currently it's all suburban neighborhood and park trail riding.

I know I should, I just can't bring myself to care enough to do it.
I'm completely in the same boat. I don't wear a helmet, but I put my daughter in the bike seat, and it's California law that kids under 18 wear a helmet. 90% of my riding is on sidewalks and beach bike paths. She is 2 and is rapidly approaching the age where I should wear one and set a good example, but I don't really look forward to it.

What I'm really conflicted about is skiing. I've skiied all my life and I've never worn a helmet. In the last 10 years helmets have really taken over, and kids in the ski school are required to wear helmets. I really don't see the need for them if you are just recreationally skiing. IMO only arialists or reckless tree skiiers need helmets. I don't see the point of my daughter having to wear one when she learns to ski, but I guess she'll have to. Ski helmets are one thing that I will not lead by example. I'm not wearing one, it's that simple.
Old 07-08-10, 11:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've only ever ridden a bicycle recreationally, I've never worn a helmet and I don't plan to start. If I was riding somewhere where it could be hazardous without one, I'd consider it. But riding a bike on a bike path at 7 to 10 mph, not only is wearing a helmet not necessary but it looks ridiculous. Have we gotten so afraid of getting a scratch (at 7 to 10 mph on a bike path) that we have to wear pads & helmets? Kinda takes away from the joy of riding a bicycle. -kd5-
Old 07-08-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I really don't see the need for them if you are just recreationally skiing. IMO only arialists or reckless tree skiiers need helmets. I'm not wearing one, it's that simple.
I believe these comments were also made by actress Natasha Richardson.

Richardson died in 2009 following a head injury sustained when she fell during a skiing lesson in Quebec.
Old 07-08-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Kinda takes away from the joy of riding a bicycle. -kd5-
How exactly does wearing a helmet take away the joy for you?

And around here, maybe 10% of the people i pass aren't wearing helmets.
Old 07-08-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know anyone who mountain or road bikes here who doesn't (and I know a TON of mt and road bikers, everyone here bikes). Bike path, different story.
Old 07-08-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I might have a different take on this because I am probably one of the few people here that has actually cracked a helmet

I say YES, I wear one, but not 100% of the time. If I am riding at an easy pace down the paved bike trail, I don't.

Most of my riding over the years has been medium duty off-road mountain biking and I have had plenty of accidents. If I didn't, I wouldn't be having fun
Old 07-08-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I ride in New York, so yes, always.
Old 07-08-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's the law here, so yes. I'd hate getting a ticket for something stupid.

Even though I've been knocked out and had to go to the hospital while riding a bike (on normal streets, and I can't remember what happened or even how I got where I was) I'd probably not wear one if not for the law because I really hate em.
Old 07-08-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only bike riding I have done since I became an adult is around the track at the local high school with my kids so I don't wear a helmut nor own one. I dont know I would even if I rode on streets.

I also never wear a seatbelt and wish that law would be repealed. My cousin was in an bad accident years ago and due to him not wearing a seat belt he was thrown from the car and survived the crash albeit with some broken bones. Others wearing their belts werent so lucky. I know statistically that is by far a minority event, but since that is my personal experience I am going with that.
Old 07-08-10, 09:02 PM

I'm going to chime in one more time. Keep in mind, Milo, that if your bike tips over while you have your daughter in the trailer, the trailer will stay upright. However if you are forced off the pavement or somehow you flip that trailer, you and your bike will go with it. Riding with a trailer attached can be tricky sometimes.

On a related note, most people who don't know what they're doing, for example, riding on a city sidewalk, riding against traffic, seldom have a helmet on, because they just don't know.

Both my dad and my son have fallen before and I have asked both if they hit their head and they told me no, only to show me the helmet after I asked to see it and found it cracked. Had they not been wearing a helmet, they probably would have known their head hit the ground. It happens that quick.
Old 07-09-10, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm trying to wear it more often. I never had one growing up, but my GF got one for herself that ended up being too big for her, but perfect for me. So I do have a helmet that's my size sitting around. I probably wear it about 50% of the time.

I've been riding home from work at Midnight, and I wear it then. I might get hit by a drunk, so hopefully it'll protect me. Also the other night, I'm almost home and I pass by a police car. He slams on his brakes and shines his spotlight on me. Leaves it on for 3 searing seconds and then pulls away. He might have been checking for a helmet or seeing if I was a kid breaking curfew, but he didn't hassle me any beyond that.
Old 07-09-10, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always wear one. You never know when you'll need it. Whether it's because of a road obstruction, a vehicle, or some assholes on the trail with chain marks on their calves riding three abreast on an 8 foot trail. With no helmets on.
Old 07-09-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh View Post
The only bike riding I have done since I became an adult is around the track at the local high school with my kids so I don't wear a helmut nor own one. I dont know I would even if I rode on streets.

I also never wear a seatbelt and wish that law would be repealed. My cousin was in an bad accident years ago and due to him not wearing a seat belt he was thrown from the car and survived the crash albeit with some broken bones. Others wearing their belts werent so lucky. I know statistically that is by far a minority event, but since that is my personal experience I am going with that.
Seems logical to me. Wait, I meant "stupid."
Seriously. You KNOW it is "by far a minority event," but you're going with anecdotal evidence and hoping for a repeat? You need a bicycle helmet shaped like a dunce cap surgically attached to your head.
Old 07-09-10, 10:44 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
Seems logical to me. Wait, I meant "stupid."
Seriously. You KNOW it is "by far a minority event," but you're going with anecdotal evidence and hoping for a repeat? You need a bicycle helmet shaped like a dunce cap surgically attached to your head.
A bike helmet is optional IMHO, but a car seatbelt is necessary and required by law. In either case, if Unclejosh doesn't care if he lives or dies, that's his choice. Calling him stupid won't solve anything. -kd5-
Old 07-09-10, 01:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I wear it all the time when I'm riding my road bike, and my mountain bike.
However commuting to work, and cruising to the store I don't.
Old 07-09-10, 01:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Having said that I'm also one of those that has cracked a helmet. Hit by a car. Broken Collarbone, cracked helmet!
Old 07-09-10, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
But riding a bike on a bike path at 7 to 10 mph Kinda takes away from the joy of riding a bicycle. -kd5-
If all you are doing is riding a bike 7-10mph on a bike path, you really should just get off the bike and walk. Seriously, do people walk or jog past you? Put some training wheels on, man, and ride faster!!! And wear a helmet!!!
Old 07-09-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a helmet bully. I don't ride a bike but my kids (and any guy I'm dating) absolutely positively must wear a helmet while riding, no matter how uncool they think it looks. Or else! People don't always die in serious bike accidents; more often, they end up with a traumatic brain injury and have serious cognition and/or speech problems. I don't want to see someone I love having to get speech therapy for something as stupid as refusing to wear a helmet.