Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

The Magic and Majesty of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: A Photo Review

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 06-28-10, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muggles and Magicians alike, rejoice! Everyone’s favorite wizard, England’s prodigal son, Harry Potter has landed on Florida soil. Last week, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was unveiled to the public, as a new themed land at Universal Studio’s Islands of Adventures theme park in scenic Orlando. With enough hype and pageantry to power a Nimbus 2000, the new crown jewel of the Orlando tourist industry has arrived to take on the Voldemort of a Mouse running things across town.

Join CL Tampa’s Rabid Nick Refer and venture into the fantasy world that up until now has been only a vision in a fevered Harry Potter fan’s mind in a photo review of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Discover Butterbeer, Hogwarts and Chocolate Frogs, and learn about the intense crowds, controversy, and reasons to rush to the park by broom and avoid it like a bad spell. Readers take note: This isn’t going to be a magical journey for everyone…
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dai...id-nick-refer/
Old 06-28-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Magic and Majesty of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: A Photo Review

That's so fucking cool. I'll have to go there in 15 years when nobody remembers who Harry Potter is.
Old 06-28-10, 06:00 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Magic and Majesty of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: A Photo Review

The only bad thing about this park is that I think I'd have a hard time buying into the fantasy of a snow-covered Hogsmeade when it is 100 degrees and sunny out.
Old 06-28-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The only bad thing about this park is that I think I'd have a hard time buying into the fantasy of a snow-covered Hogsmeade when it is 100 degrees and sunny out.
It's fucking MAGIC.
Old 06-28-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 645 Likes on 421 Posts

Looks cool.
Old 06-28-10, 06:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
It's fucking MAGIC.
Old 06-28-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm really disappointed that this wasn't a full on theme park. I was expecting them to have a train that took the guests into the theme park. The Hotels would be made to look like all 4 houses. Would probably be damn expensive but really awesome.
Old 06-28-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That 7 hour wait can't be right can it? Maybe on the first day or two I could see, but that's ridiculous.
Old 06-29-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suziq999 View Post
That's so fucking cool. I'll have to go there in 15 years when nobody remembers who Harry Potter is.
Everyone will remember, because Daniel Radcliffe will be working in the gift shop.
Old 06-29-10, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went there last week. It was pretty cool. I'm not even a Harry Potter fan. I've seen the movies but never read the books. The ride was pretty innovative, Disney has nothing like it. It was only about a 45 minute wait for the ride, went during the week, and it was about 95 degrees outside.
Old 06-29-10, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Everyone will remember, because Daniel Radcliffe will be working in the gift shop.
I think it's more likely Rupert Grint will be selling ice cream.
Old 06-29-10, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were there a lot of magnets?
Old 06-29-10, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
magnets

How do they work?
Old 06-29-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A shameless plug, but for those who might be curious about the park...

A Visit to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Part One

Part Two

Part Three
Old 06-29-10, 09:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by suziq999 View Post
Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
What a turd this place will be in ten years.
Nah, with the way Hollywood is going they will already be three films into the first 'reboot' by then.
Old 06-29-10, 09:48 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I understand that the line to "Get your picture with Hermione" is the longest in the park. But no girls, in line, just middle-aged men.
Old 06-29-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 242 Posts

If everyone is flocking to this silliness, maybe I can get a chance to see some of the passe silliness.
Old 06-29-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 685 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
What part of "a wizard did it" is so hard to understand?

Place looks neat. Don't think we'll make a special trip for it, but would probably combine it with other stuff if it worked out that way in the future.
Old 06-29-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 66 Posts

I was at Universal City Walk last month, and saw a bunch of the "lesser" stars (not the 3 main kids) outside of the Emeril's. One of the Weasley Bros, and Robbie Coltrane. There were more folks there, but I didn't see Hermione so I moved on
Old 06-29-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ahem.....
Old 06-30-10, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 06-30-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 191 Likes on 125 Posts

My wife and kid just got back from a trip to Orlando with the grandparents today. They went to the park on Monday. She tells me I would've hated it. One million people, one million degrees, lines were one million hours long just to get into the shops, and once in there it was nuts-to-butts one million times over. The rides were mediocre but the butterbeer was tasty if expensive (yes, my son brought back a mug exactly like the one shown above.... I'm looking at it now).

I'm glad they had a fun time, and I'm glad they went to Potterland, just as I'm glad that I didn't have to go to Potterland too.
Old 07-01-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Islands of Adventure is a great park. I had a season pass a few years ago. It's not worth going in the summer unless you want to stand in lines all day. Go in late September or early October and stay at one of the on property hotels. You'll have a great time.
Old 07-01-10, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
the butterbeer was tasty if expensive (yes, my son brought back a mug exactly like the one shown above.... I'm looking at it now).
I'll guess $6 for drink & souvenir mug.

I can just imagine (with horror) how crowded this place is. Heck, even DisneyWorld is still packed during the summer, so a new place based on Harry Potter will be insane. The last time I attempted a theme park during the summer is when I went to Busch Gardens VA in July of 03. The temp went up to 99 that day. Misery!
Old 07-01-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by charlie goose View Post
i'll guess $6 for drink & souvenir mug.
$10.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.