Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Biggest Loser 2010 Pt. II

Old 06-22-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Biggest Loser 2010 Pt. II

I guess the other thread was closed for length.

Part I

Anyway, I had posted I was waiting for the Warrior Dash results. They came in.

I finished in 33:58.10. #3425 out of 7691 overall and #347 out of 665 in men 35-39 years old.

Considering it took me over a minute to get my left shoe out of the mud when I ran right out of it, and the fact that the last 2 miles my shoes weighed 8 pounds a piece, I'm pretty happy with the results
Old 06-23-10, 12:15 PM

Re: Biggest Loser 2010 Pt. II

My last update was a month and a half ago, so here we go.

I reached my 50 lb milestone. I started off the year 217.8 and weighed in at 167.1 on Tuesday. I hit a wall at 170 and it took me 3 weeks to lose the last 3 lbs.

Now that I've reached this weight, I'm switching my diet and exercise program. I'm going to start bulking up on the Starting Strength program, which consists of squats, dead-lifts, bench presses, presses, and power cleans. I prepped myself last week by working on squats. At 135 lbs, my inner thighs got too sore to do any more and it took me 3 days to recover. I did squats and dead-lifts yesterday and no post-workout soreness this time. I've still got to get some Chucks and eventually a weight lifting belt, so I'm going to start next week.

I'm looking forward to to eating almost twice as much but it'll take some getting used to. I tried eating more last night, but ended the day with the same amount of calories I normally do. I'll end up drinking more milk and whey at the very least.

On a very positive note, I was able to do 5 chin-ups yesterday after a 2+ hour workout. I did elliptical for 30 mins, treadmill for 11, back extensions, squats, dead-lifts, and sit-ups. At the end, I decided to try the chin-ups and was able to do 5 with no problems. I could have done more, but I was surprised at myself and stopped at 5. When my brother visited in mid-May, I struggled to reach 5. Since then, I've been doing cable triceps overheads and it seems to have helped.
Old 06-23-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great job on picking up Starting Strength... Its one of the best programs around for gaining strength and size as well. Plus Rip is a great coach. Just to warn you though, this program starts off fairly easy but gets really fucking hard. Good luck!
Old 06-23-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Slightly off topic, but didn't you say that you researched Fish oil extensively? If so, did you run across anything talking about Fish Oil possibly raising Blood Glucose levels and how this may not be good for Diabetics?
Old 06-23-10, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Slightly off topic, but didn't you say that you researched Fish oil extensively? If so, did you run across anything talking about Fish Oil possibly raising Blood Glucose levels and how this may not be good for Diabetics?
My dad's a diabetic and takes prescription fish oil. I don't know anything beyond that though.
Old 06-23-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Hmmm, never read anything like that, but I will keep an eye out... In fact here are some conclusions on studies done on the topic:

http://www.oilofpisces.com/diabetes.html

Last edited by FantasticVSDoom; 06-23-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good week so far. No doubt losing weight. Not sure how much since I use scale at home. Will check this weekend.

And the other day I went to try on jeans. No doubt, 34" is what I need. When I started I was wearing 46" jeans! In fact, now some of my Docker type pants look big on me at 34's.

Since I got an iPhone 4, I'm toying with the idea of ditching the Polar and going Nike+ only. I picked up the shoe sensor and looks like it works inside and out.
Old 06-24-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Restarted my diet/exercise routines on Monday.

Current: 233
Short Term Goal: 205
Ultimate Goal: 180

Last edited by RichC2; 06-24-10 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-24-10, 03:29 PM

I weighed 235 at New Years. I started the C25k program and started eating much better using "The Abs Power Diet" as a guide. Completed C25K and ran my first 5k in March. Have run 4 more since. Run a couple of times a week and ride (either mtn or road bike) a couple of times a week. Down to 211 lbs and lost 2" on my pants size.
Old 06-24-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How to Burn More Calories on the Treadmill

Whether the hot humid weather has made running outside impossible, or you're a gym rat by nature, running on a treadmill is a great way to burn calories, keep your heart healthy, and tone up your lower body. If you want more from your workouts, try these tips the next time you hop on the moving belt.

* Bring Hills Indoors - Pumping up the incline will not only help prevent shin splints, but it also tones your tush, thighs, and calves while burning extra calories. After a 30-minute workout at a 10-minute-per-mile pace, you'll burn 270 calories with no incline, 363 with a five percent incline, 420 with a 10 percent incline, and 482 with a 15 percent incline (crazy steep, I know).
* Slow and Steady Doesn't Always Win the Race - On long, slow runs when you need to take it easy, it's great to travel along at a consistent pace. But during your intense workouts, take advantage of intervals. By alternating between running a few minutes at a moderate pace, and throwing in sprinting bursts, you'll end up burning more calories, building your endurance, and becoming a faster, stronger runner. Not to mention, intervals have also been proven to fight belly fat.
* I Think I Can, I Think I Can - Whether you prefer chugging along at a consistent speed or doing intervals, to get the most out of your workouts, you've got to make continued progress. One way to do that is to gradually increase your speed. Don't jump from 10-minute miles to eight-minute miles because you could seriously hurt yourself. Instead increase your pace just slightly so your body has time to adjust.
* Compete Against Friends (or Strangers) -If you hit the gym with a buddy, do your workouts on side-by-side treadmills. You can use one another's energy for motivation to run faster or longer than you would if you were alone. If you're at the gym solo, find a stranger on a treadmill to secretly race with.
* No Need to Hold On For Dear Life - You should be moving at a pace that's fast enough to get your heart and muscles working, but not so speedy that you have to hold on in order to prevent falling. When you release your grasp of the handles, it allows you to swing your arms, which will not only burn more calories, but will also tone your core and upper body. Holding on can also contribute to bad posture, which can lead to back and shoulder pain.

Related Content:
The 500-Calorie-Burning Treadmill Workout
Cardio Workout: Beginner Treadmill
The 300-Calorie-Burning Wogging Workout

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/healt...dmill-1803156/
Old 06-24-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice post!

I had a not so great run. Lots of reasons, not the least of which was I was up till 3:30am and had to work at 7:00am. That and I've been pushing harder at the gym while eating less calories I think caught up with me. I thought about taking today off, but being a run night, I really wanted to get it in. So did. I just didn't push as hard. I struggled a bit, but did finish and was running faster at the end.

42 total minutes
33:45 @ 3.10 minutes
527 total calories
74% average HR
86% max HR

Ate about 1786 calories. But trying to stick to 1,700 calories or so.
Old 06-24-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from a 3 day raft trip of too much beer, rum, cookies, burgers, etc. Glad to find that I only gained 3 pounds. That'll come off fast, at least.
Old 06-25-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I got the Nike+ plus sensor and little pocket thingy for it (since my shoes don't have a spot for it). Is there a "Get started" guide? Or quick reference guide?

I know it is pretty powerful and lots of options. But I wanted to calibrate it, get started with it, in hopes to have it pretty much down by July 1.

Also, I notice the Nike+ now has a HR monitor that is made by Polar. Is this really different than the Polar model or did they just slap the Nike+ logo on it? I'm hoping my current Polar strap will work with my iP4....
Old 06-25-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Ive been waiting for the HR monitor.. that always sucked it wasnt available.. looks like it was just released, and starts at $70.. not sure its worth that to me, but definitly should fill in the gaps on what nike+ was missing.
Old 06-25-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Felt lethargic this wk from dropping my cals (1,000+ under maintenance), think I'm just gonna have to realize the last 4-5 lbs aren't going to happen in a few wks.

Got this minor shooting pain from my lower bicep/forearm... not sure what that's about...
Old 06-26-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ran with the Nike+. I didn't calibrate it as this was more of a test and the manual said you could calibrate after. That women talking to you scared the crap out of me the first time....lol...it was about a little over half mile off. It said I ran 6k when when I ran a 5K. I'm going to play with it a bit.

Nice workout though and that's what counts.

42:30 minutes
33:25 @ 3.10 miles
523 total calories
73% average HR
87% max HR
Old 06-26-10, 11:08 PM

Officially started Starting Strength Thursday after having picked up my $20 Chucks from Sears the day before. I actually ended up ordering two pairs because the Sears deal popped up 2 hours after I had ordered a $32 pair from another store.
What are the odds of three deals on Chucks popping up on the same day?

Here's a photo of me after my weight loss. BMI says I'm still in the middle of the overweight category, but I don't think it applies to stock builds.

All my clothes are loose, but I'm not sure what to buy because of the future changes from my weightlifting program. I'm currently belting my size 38 clothes to my 32-34 body.

Old 06-27-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Had a great cheat meal at Taste of Chicago

But then I had my weigh in this morning and was shocked to see I lost more weight. Went from 143 down to 138!. I thought "Maybe it's a screwed up scale so i weighed my dog and he has the same weight. I've been upping the calories but for some reason i cant gain weight

I think i need to see a doctor. Something has to be wrong. What could cause rapid weight loss?
Old 06-27-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Had a great cheat meal at Taste of Chicago

But then I had my weigh in this morning and was shocked to see I lost more weight. Went from 143 down to 138!. I thought "Maybe it's a screwed up scale so i weighed my dog and he has the same weight. I've been upping the calories but for some reason i cant gain weight

I think i need to see a doctor. Something has to be wrong. What could cause rapid weight loss?
Couple of things could be at play... But typically, if you have been eating well for a while, sometimes the best thing to "shock" your body into weight loss is a cheat. Remember, our body gets used to certain things so if we have been eating a certain way for some time now, a change to the diet is sometimes what is needed to set thing back down the weight loss highway. It also illustrates the point that it isnt always about calories in/calories out. Although that is the most important factor, it shows that the body is much more complex then we even know.
Old 06-27-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
What could cause rapid weight loss?
I would guess water weight - do you weigh yourself during the same time of day? I'm usually 3-4 lbs lighter in the morning. At that light of a weight, you should be able to tell when you've lost a few pounds of fat, let alone six.
Old 06-27-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never posted in any of these threads before, but I've lost some weight lately so might as well...

Back in September I started training Muay Thai, so by doing only that (no weights or running) 3 times a week I've lost 20 pounds. Last week I started running (2 miles a day everyday I don't train), and some weights, as well as working the heavy bag everyday. I'm running mostly for conditioning so I can spar longer (and better), weight loss is just a bonus. I've actually gained 2 pounds in the last week, but it's no biggie. So that's my little weight loss story.

Heaviest Weight: 194
Current Weight: 176
Ideal Weight: 162

Whether I ever make the ideal weight, I dunno. I'm not necessarily pushing myself to do it, like I said, weight loss is just a bonus.
Old 06-27-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I would guess water weight - do you weigh yourself during the same time of day? I'm usually 3-4 lbs lighter in the morning. At that light of a weight, you should be able to tell when you've lost a few pounds of fat, let alone six.
In the mornings.
Old 06-27-10, 04:34 PM

I really need to jump on this band wagon. I'm on some very helpful medication that makes me both extremely tired and very hungry. As a result I've put on about 15lbs or more over the winter. I had planned to work it off over the summer, but so far that hasn't happened. Besides the medication, it doesn't help that I twisted my ankle a few weeks ago.

I guess I need to complain less and move more. :-P
Old 06-27-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
Never posted in any of these threads before, but I've lost some weight lately so might as well...

Back in September I started training Muay Thai, so by doing only that (no weights or running) 3 times a week I've lost 20 pounds. Last week I started running (2 miles a day everyday I don't train), and some weights, as well as working the heavy bag everyday. I'm running mostly for conditioning so I can spar longer (and better), weight loss is just a bonus. I've actually gained 2 pounds in the last week, but it's no biggie. So that's my little weight loss story.

Heaviest Weight: 194
Current Weight: 176
Ideal Weight: 162

Whether I ever make the ideal weight, I dunno. I'm not necessarily pushing myself to do it, like I said, weight loss is just a bonus.
Nicely done. Did you adjust your eating as well? I suppose that if you were not gaining weight at all before and add this, you might lose that amount assuming you didn't eat more.

Most people need to adjust their eating in order to lose that kind of weight.
Old 06-27-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pixie Song View Post
I really need to jump on this band wagon. I'm on some very helpful medication that makes me both extremely tired and very hungry. As a result I've put on about 15lbs or more over the winter. I had planned to work it off over the summer, but so far that hasn't happened. Besides the medication, it doesn't help that I twisted my ankle a few weeks ago.

I guess I need to complain less and move more. :-P
For most, losing weight is 80% about your eating. Most people cannot spend enough time working out to burn enough calories to significantly lose weight. Most have to couple working out with eating changes.

All that to say, you could start there while your ankle heals. And you could also do something that wouldn't effect your ankle. Perhaps some swimming.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.