DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Tell me about....Kansas City (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/575158-tell-me-about-kansas-city.html)

Minor Threat 06-16-10 05:56 PM

Re: Tell me about....Kansas City

Originally Posted by brizz (Post 10216035)
For now, all I need is a clean, cheap, safe apt. to crash in as near to 435/95th as I can.

You really need to hit me up. I know this area like the back of my hand.

ESUguy 06-16-10 06:01 PM

Mexican food: Head to Southwest bldvd. for Ponak's or Margarita's. There's also a Margarita's off of Johnson Dr., but I prefer the one downtown for some reason. In JoCo, we go to Pazon's(very close to 435 & 9th),Tequilla Harry's, or Jose Pepper's.

NotThatGuy 06-16-10 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat (Post 10216495)
You really need to hit me up. I know this area like the back of my hand.

Where was my offer?!! :(

Minor Threat 06-17-10 12:47 PM

You're already in the trendy/hip/young part of town. fucker! :mad:

Still need to meet up for a beer.

HistoryProf 06-17-10 04:58 PM

hey, i hit you up w/ a pm MT.

Bluelitespecial 06-17-10 08:31 PM

Another great Mexican Restaruant is Mi Ranchito there are several locations, my favorite one is on
95th street next to JBs Gas Station close to I-35.

ike0000 06-17-10 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ESUguy (Post 10215024)
OK Joe's is really good, and I also like K&M out in Spring Hill.

Definitely.

kenbuzz 06-17-10 10:11 PM

They tell me everything's up to date in Kansas City. They even went and built them a skyscraper seven stories high!

BTW - Do you have any of these there? They're all over SW Missouri.
http://www.joeclipart.com/blog/image...1124kum+go.jpg

shoppingbear 06-18-10 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat (Post 10215251)
Sorry - your opinion matters not.....

-wink-

:sad:

:lol:

Originally Posted by brizz (Post 10216035)
This is exactly it. INITIALLY i just need a cheap place as close to the job as is possible as I will be doing little more than working and writing nights/weekends. next spring we'll begin looking for a house and tackle all that stuff. but for now, all I need is a clean, cheap, safe apt. to crash in as near to 435/95th as I can.

:banana: Right on, hit it outta the park, I did.... :D

TomOpus 06-26-10 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz (Post 10218856)
BTW - Do you have any of these there? They're all over SW Missouri.
http://www.joeclipart.com/blog/image...1124kum+go.jpg

I've saw one last month when I was visiting. I had to giggle after seeing pics so many times on the internet but now actually saw a real one. They really DO exist!!

Anywho, my main reason to bump the thread was to see if anything interesting was happening during the upcoming 4th of July weekend. I'll be visiting again and I'm excited about buying fireworks for the first time in probably 20 years.

NotThatGuy 06-26-10 08:08 AM

311 / The Offspring / Pepper are playing a show on 07/03.

TomOpus 06-26-10 09:07 AM

Hmmmm I would have to hint around to see if she likes those groups. I sorta wanna surprise her. Thanks!

PlumPeach 06-26-10 09:24 PM

Our family travels to Kansas City every year for the Irish Festival at Crown Center over Labor Day weekend. We mainly go because our kids are Irish dancers and they have a competition during the festival. Lots of beer, food, and entertainment. If you like Irish culture, and especially Irish music, it's a lot of fun.

NotThatGuy 06-26-10 09:53 PM

That reminds me...the annual BBQ event at the American Royal, second to none. Thousands of pounds of meat, plenty of music, and fireworks. I forget exactly when they have it, but if you google "American Royal" it should pop up. It is sort of a big deal, people come from around the country to compete.

TomOpus 06-26-10 11:04 PM

Peddy, that reminds me of one of my visits last year. I went to make the hotel reservation at the usual place and noticed the Saturday was booked. I had to book that one day at another hotel. I could not figure out why.

Later, I discovered the American Royal was going on that weekend. Also the Chiefs had a home game and there was a big college game in town. I also believe there was a Nascar event at the race track.

So one of the things we were gonna do was hit 2 of the haunted houses. The area was packed with cars. Why? You guessed it... the American Royal was in the same area. But we found a place to park and it wasn't a far walk to the haunted houses.

Speaking of which... The Beast and The Edge of Hell are 2 very nicely done haunted houses. They turned 5 floors of 2 abandoned buildings into very elaborate scare fests. They are also close to each other so you can walk from one to the other. I recommend getting the VIP combo pack online. You will bypass the regular lines (which were fairly long).

Trout 06-27-10 08:25 AM

Arthur Bryant's.

Bluelitespecial 06-27-10 05:41 PM

The American Royal Barbeque Festival is September 30th thru October 3rd this year.
http://www.arbbq.com/

NotThatGuy 06-27-10 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 10235617)
The American Royal Barbeque Festival is September 30th thru October 3rd this year.
http://www.arbbq.com/

Yeah, that's the place.

Awesome BBQ and fun. Make sure to take a picture with the Pig Bus!

TomOpus 06-27-10 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue (Post 10233428)
311 / The Offspring / Pepper are playing a show on 07/03.

Great suggestion, as it turns out. She's not familiar with Pepper but a big fan of the other 2. She knew about the concert too. But she got suspicious when I started asking so I had to come clean. She's very excited about the concert so I bought tix online. Thanks again for the suggestion!

NotThatGuy 06-27-10 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 10235852)
Great suggestion, as it turns out. She's not familiar with Pepper but a big fan of the other 2. She knew about the concert too. But she got suspicious when I started asking so I had to come clean. She's very excited about the concert so I bought tix online. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Maybe I'll run into you there. :lol:

TomOpus 06-27-10 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue (Post 10235874)
Maybe I'll run into you there. :lol:

Mini Otter meet!

Minor Threat 06-28-10 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz (Post 10218856)
They tell me everything's up to date in Kansas City. They even went and built them a skyscraper seven stories high!

You're kidding, right? Either that or you're ridiculously stupid.

we have 8 story building dammit..... :mad:

Minor Threat 06-28-10 06:04 PM

wait - do basements count as a story....?

TomOpus 06-28-10 06:30 PM

What do you locals think of the new Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts? Do you think it'll look cool or gaudy?

Minor Threat 06-28-10 08:02 PM

:up:

I know Susie well and this is just another contribution to the arts that makes sense.