Reload this Page >

Tell me about....Kansas City

Other Talk "Otterville"

Tell me about....Kansas City

Old 06-14-10, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 442 Posts
Re: Tell me about....Kansas City

Here's the AMC Mainstreet 6 theater. The CinemaSuite section has a full-menu of appetizers, entrees and more. You just push a button and a server will show up and take your order. Very comfy reclining seats. The tix are $25 but you get a $15 food voucher so as long as you order food, the price evens out. Of course, I like the fact that you can reserve a specific seat. I just had to check it out during my first visit to KC. Wished we had something like this here in SD.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qedUCjn2EJc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qedUCjn2EJc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-14-10, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols View Post
I never knew there were so many Kansas City people on here.

I was all prepared to help until I saw that your questions are all Johnson County based. At that point my only advice is to not live in Johnson County.
that's helpful.
Old 06-15-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnson county does seem to be the target for more home/apartment/car break ins than most other areas around here. I guess the mentality is that people there are rich therefore have more crap to steal.
Old 06-15-10, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a frequent visitor I can tell you where to go for entertainment. The AMC 30 in Olathe has an Imax and Fork & Screen movies. Tivoli in Westport has all of the indie and art house movies. A large number of good restaurants in Westport. I highly recommend the Jerusalem Cafe. If you enjoy MST3k, the Counterclockwise comedy group roasts a movie once a month at Screenland Crossroads in KCMO.

Comedy Clubs: The Improv is opening back up in July in Zona Rosa. Much more comfortable than Stanfords.
Old 06-15-10, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I never knew there were so many Kansas City people on here.
Seriously!

I was all prepared to help until I saw that your questions are all Johnson County based. At that point my only advice is to not live in Johnson County.
Everything I love about KC pretty much goes out the window in Johnson County (traffic, chain restaurants, entitled people, etc).
Old 06-15-10, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't live there but visit frequently. I'll chime in from that angle.

The best barbecue is Fiorella's Jack Stack. Bobby Flay said they have the best baked beans in the world and I agree. You'll hear a lot about Gates & Oklahoma Joe's - both are great for a quick fix/fast food type option.

Things to do:
Nelson-Atkins Art Museum
Country Club Plaza
Hit up Pride's in Westport
Power & Light District
Blanc Burgers & Bottles - good, good stuff
I find Crown Center to be over-rated but it's ok at Christmas time if you have younger kids (which it appears your's are grown).
Old 06-15-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts

some of my favorite restaurants around here.
-McCoy's in Westport Great beer and good Bar Food
-Pizza 51 by the UMKC Campus, was an Abandon gas station, now great pizza restaurant, I went there a lot when I went to UMKC.
-Blanc Burgers and Bottles on The Country Club Plaza I just tried it recently for the first time, Interesting take on burgers
-Strouds serves pan fried chicken, probably one of the most famous restaurant's In KC.
-I'll agree about Jack Stack, my favorite BBQ in town.

BTw I have lived in Lenexa my whole life, its been a great place to grow up.
Johnson county does seem to be the target for more home/apartment/car break ins than most other areas around here. I guess the mentality is that people there are rich therefore have more crap to steal.
Johnson County is probably considered one of the safest areas in the KC Metro Area. It just seems whenever certain crimes happen, its more of a newsmaker.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 06-15-10 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do not want!

j/k

If your new job is at 435 and 95th, there is a newish (I think) apt complex just north of that on Renner. It would be pretty obvious on Google Maps. I'd imagine that rent is not inexpensive, but you can't beat the location for job proximity.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Liberty Hall in Lawrence typically shows non-mainstream type films along with concerts and other types of alt. entertainment.

As also mentioned, summer can be brutal. Although last year it was pretty mild all year. Winter is usually mild, but being on the plains means we get 1 or 2 deep freezes each winter.

OK Joes @ 47th/Mission is the best BBQ in KC with Bryant's at Brooklyn a close 2nd, but Jack Stack beans are the best.

Last edited by Nazgul; 06-15-10 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
Seriously!

Everything I love about KC pretty much goes out the window in Johnson County (traffic, chain restaurants, entitled people, etc).
If I moved back to KC with a family I wouldn't hesitate to live in Johnson County. I loved where my parents lived and really enjoyed visiting them (well, I did live there for six months at least). Of course, I usually drove up to Westport for most of my fun.
Old 06-15-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
All you fuckers chiming in on how great this place is and all but one of you bitches missed the otter meat here a while back. I'm ashamed and repulsed - you make me sick.

*ok - I'm over it now.....
Perhaps now that there'll be another KC Otter, we can schedule another Otter Meat? Pretty please with Splenda on top?
Old 06-15-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

We could, but I'm pretty sure the recluses would have an excuse not to show.....
Old 06-15-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh...

He said 'Otter meat'.

Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh...
Old 06-15-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another inspiring post for 'ya Brizz.....
Old 06-15-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Perhaps now that there'll be another KC Otter, we can schedule another Otter Meat? Pretty please with Splenda on top?
My visits just seem to be too short lately... only 2 or 3 days. I was out there for almost a week during Christmas but half of that time was during the storm so we stayed at the house and didn't get out.

I will let you know when I do have a longer visit so we can plan a day. That way ya'll can meet the reason I'm moving to KC.
Old 06-15-10, 06:19 PM

I've traveled to KC a few times for work, and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the ethnic food options there. I really wasn't expecting that from a mid-western city.
Old 06-15-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another KC guy here. I grew up about 2 miles from 95th and 435. I actually lived at those apartments there for about 2 years. I now live in the South side of Olathe, but my parents still live in Lenexa. The apartments off 95th and 435 are okay, but I think there are quite a few younger people that live there. We never had a break-in, but I heard the place was known for it. The apartments on Renner or over near 87th and 435 may have a little older residents. You may also want to try out on the West side of Olathe(Renner/Ridgeview).

As for the area, it's a soccer mom with money kind of area. JoCo used to be one of the richest counties in the country. It's nice, but crowded. Definitely try Jackstack. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from where you are. They will have a wait during the evenings. OK Joe's is really good, and I also like K&M out in Spring Hill. Olathe Studio is where we usually see movies. If you care, there are several nice shopping areas.
Old 06-15-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tedmcardle View Post
I've traveled to KC a few times for work, and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the ethnic food options there. I really wasn't expecting that from a mid-western city.
how about the Mexican options? what fast food chains are there? Any Baja Fresh or Del Taco?

You know...I need the important info!

also: how about used book stores? they are among my most favorite things....any good ones?
Old 06-15-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Also...
Everything's up to date in Kansas City.
Originally Posted by John Hodgman
Most experts agree that everything is up-to-date in Kansas City, Mo. With its seven-story skyscrapers, full telephone service, burlesque theaters, and multiple gas buggies, it has gone about as far as it can go. No further progress will be undertaken.
Old 06-16-10, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

Originally Posted by Minor Threat View Post
School is an issue so KC, MO is easily out of the question, a no-brainer really.
Except, he said in the very first post that it's just him moving out and finding an apartment, the wife and kids are staying home, and that it'll be at least a year (until his daughter finishes school) of him living there on his own. Why does it matter what the schools are like where he moves to now? If he wants a cheap place to live, why not just pick a cheap place for now and (over the next year) he can figure out where to buy a house later?

Just wondering... seems like a couple of you didn't read the first post well...

Old 06-16-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shoppingbear View Post
Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

Sorry - your opinion matters not.....

Old 06-16-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by brizz View Post
how about the Mexican options? what fast food chains are there? Any Baja Fresh or Del Taco?

also: how about used book stores? they are among my most favorite things....any good ones?
We have Taco Bueno, don't know if that compares with the other two.

The Half Price Book Store and a number of used bookstores are located in Johnson County.
Old 06-16-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brizz View Post

There are plenty of good Mexican options in KC. Southwest Blvd. has a plethora.

As for used book stores, Lawrence has a pretty decent one on Mass St.
Old 06-16-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Enjoy the summers (hint: it's not a dry heat)

Though I do miss Worlds of Fun
Old 06-16-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shoppingbear View Post
Except, he said in the very first post that it's just him moving out and finding an apartment, the wife and kids are staying home, and that it'll be at least a year (until his daughter finishes school) of him living there on his own. Why does it matter what the schools are like where he moves to now? If he wants a cheap place to live, why not just pick a cheap place for now and (over the next year) he can figure out where to buy a house later?

Just wondering... seems like a couple of you didn't read the first post well...

This is exactly it. INITIALLY i just need a cheap place as close to the job as is possible as I will be doing little more than working and writing nights/weekends. next spring we'll begin looking for a house and tackle all that stuff. but for now, all I need is a clean, cheap, safe apt. to crash in as near to 435/95th as I can.
Old 06-16-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post

People that work, pay their bills and loads of taxes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.