DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Tell me about....Kansas City (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/575158-tell-me-about-kansas-city.html)

jfoobar 05-29-13 08:20 AM

Re: Tell me about....Kansas City

My parents just moved there recently, but I still have not been. KC is one of only four of the largest 40 metro areas in the country I have not been to yet. I'll probably get down there one weekend in August.

Minor Threat 05-29-13 09:34 AM

I abhor the Plaza.....

Bluelitespecial 05-29-13 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by DaveCole (Post 11709063)
Too bad Screenland Crossroads closed. Some vintage video gaming would have been fun.

They moved all of the video games to the Alamo Mainstreet, and the Screenland Armour. I hope they find a new location soon for the Screenland Crossroads, it sucks they got kicked out of their old building.

TomOpus 06-04-13 07:17 AM

Bump to see if anyone else is interested. Vibs, I mentioned before maybe a separate thread is needed?

Abob Teff 02-03-16 11:33 PM

Bumped ...

Mrs. Teff (Shebob?) and I are hitting Kansas City for a Valentine's Weekend. We've been there a couple of times but it was always for sports tournaments with the kids. Now we have time to relax and enjoy ourselves ... What should we do?

We've only looked into a couple of things, one of which was a restaurant we saw on Food Network, but it has closed down. Not looking for something fancy, just enjoyable. Possibly a nice blues bar one night, a BBQ joint, a delicious dive, and a couple of activities. How is the zoo in the winter?

TomOpus 02-03-16 11:55 PM

Weather is nice. Warmer than normal and no snow. Never been to the zoo in winter. There's only one polar bear now but there's a new penguin exhibit. My fav bbq joint changed it's name from Oklahoma Joe's to Joe's Kansas City. Can't help with a blues bar.

Bluelitespecial 02-04-16 02:59 PM

The weather is okay right now, I haven't been to the zoo in so long, but it is open year round. The blues/jazz bars are at 18th and vine, just don't go further east of there. I have never been to any, but you should be able to look them up on google. The Brick is one of my favorite places in terms of a dive bar/restaurant. It was featured on Diners Drive Ins and Dives, and they have live music on the weekends. Right next door is the Screenland Crossroads, a cool revival house movie theater with retro arcade. This may seem vague, but a few ideas for you, and I will agree with Joe's Kansas City. Just don't go between 11-1, the lines go out the door.

Also just wanted to add check out the Boulevard Brewing Company for the brewery tour times, and you can get free samples.

Abob Teff 02-04-16 09:27 PM

We saw the retro arcade online and she thought it looked neat. I think I may actually get her to go for that!

Joe's -- check.

I think I saw the Brick online, but I don't remember anything about it. The name sounds familiar.

The other thing we saw online was a blues joint called ... The Green Lady (or something like that).

What about museum type attractions?

Bluelitespecial 02-05-16 01:38 AM

The Screenland Crossroads also has over 100 craft beers on tap I think. The Brick is famous for having a hot dog wrapped in bacon then deep fried called the Oklahoma dog. The Diners Drive Ins And Dives segment should be on youtube. The Green Lady sounds like its at 18th and Vine. The Negro League Baseball museum is right there too . All of this is in downtown Kansas City. I would also check out the Nelson Atkins Art Museum, its free and should be open on Saturday during the day, you wont regret it. Thats in the midtown area, and close to the Country Club Plaza if you both want to do some shopping.

Edit-I looked up The Green Lady Lounge and its on Grand Boulevard not 18th and Vine.

Josh-da-man 02-05-16 02:03 AM

Go clubbing in the Power & Light District.

Minor Threat 02-05-16 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12715640)
Go clubbing in the Power & Light District.

Stay as far away from this racist, pop-collared douchefest of an area unless you feel like fighting with either midtown hoods or uber-hicks in from the sticks. On the other hand, I pretty much agree with what Bluelitespecial has advised.

Where are you staying and will you have your own vehicle to travel around? Public transit is next to non-existent here.....

TomOpus 02-05-16 10:35 AM

I won't say public transpo is next to non-existent but it does have it's challenges. Especially if you're on the the Kansas side. Don't have Lyft but there is Uber.

As for museums, as was mentioned, Nelson-Atkins is nice. Look for the giant shuttlecocks in the front and back (no, not kidding). http://www.nelson-atkins.org/

There is also a toy museum that just finished getting renovated. http://toyandminiaturemuseum.org/

Abob Teff 02-06-16 04:54 PM

Yes, we will be driving ourselves.

Ah yes ... The hot dog contraption ... That's why I recognized the Brick!

The toy museum looks interesting!

Bluelitespecial 02-06-16 07:46 PM

If you read through this whole thread you can get more ideas. Where are you staying?

Abob Teff 02-10-16 09:47 PM

I started to read the thread at the beginning, but wanted current information. Before looking in here, we had found a few things that were no longer around.

We're staying near the airport, but will have our own transportation to get around.

How is the aquarium there?

TomOpus 02-10-16 10:51 PM

Aquarium is... okay. Not really worth the money. Keep in mind I went there right after it opened so there may have been improvements.

Now across from the aquarium is Crown Center which has some nice shops. There's a restaurant called Fritz's Railroad Restaurant that delivers your food (except drinks) via model train from above your table. Kinda fun to watch.

Bluelitespecial 02-10-16 11:21 PM

I would have found a place closer to downtown, but oh well. you will be doing quite a bit of driving then if you want to see the city. All the restaurants and stuff in crown center is mostly kid oriented, but the aquarium is probably neat since its new.

Bluelitespecial 02-13-16 07:25 PM

So how has your trip been so far Abob Teff?

Abob Teff 02-15-16 01:49 PM

Thank you for asking, BlueLite!

The trip was very good! That is the first time we had gotten away for a weekend without kids. It was nice and relaxing just being able to do what we wanted when we wanted.

Friday -- got into town around 7:00. Had dinner at The Brick. They were swamped when we arrived, so the service started off pretty spotty. By the time we got our food the place cleared out some. Had The Oklahoma dog ... Gluttony at its best. Food was good and I was surprised how cheap the check was. We were worn out from traveling, so we didn't do anything that night. (Well ... )

Saturday we had a late breakfast at the hotel and then went to the Toy and Miniature Museum. That was really neat and the admission was only $5 each. I did drive her up the wall a little bit by pointing out the non-Star Wars toys mixed into the Star Wars displays. 8-)

After that we tried to go to the aquarium. First, that complex is fucking insane. We got lost several times just trying to get to the mall and attractions. We were locked in an office building for a little while. We finally found our way and went to lunch at the train place mentioned before (Freddie's?). It was novel, but the service was kind of rude and it is way overpriced for the portions.

Then we tried to go to the aquarium ... Admission was going to be about $40 and they wouldn't let us in for over an hour (leaving us about an hour to go through it). We passed. I wondered how a decent aquarium would fit into the space it appeared they had. After reading online reviews of the place, I am glad we skipped it.

We wandered around the mall for a bit and then went to Up/Down for drinks and video games. That was really cool until it started to get too crowded. Saturday night got a bit hairy. We tried several things that were sold out or restaurants we couldn't get in without a reservation. Drunken Fish seated the two people in front of us but the told us it would be 2 hours+. We thought we would grab a movie at Alamo Drafthouse while we waited -- sold out. Tried another sushi place down the road with the exact same result (seated the two in front of us, 90 minute + wait). We ended up having dinner at Houlihans (her choice, not mine). Again, not bad but overpriced for what it was.

Sunday we went to the Negro League Baseball Museum and the Jazz Museum. Very neat! (Somewhere there was a bad racist joke in there though ... We arrived a little early. They open at noon, but at noon the lady stuck her head out the front door and said "We'll open in five minutes. Or ten. Or so.") Neat attractions reasonably priced.

We had a late lunch at Grinders -- good wings! Then we drove back home (which entailed driving into shitty winter weather with cars road all over the place).

TomOpus 02-15-16 04:17 PM

Fritz's is more of a novelty I will admit. I agree about Houlihans. I live north of the river and there's one here and I agree it's overpriced. Alamo Drafthouse on a Saturday is very busy (hence higher prices). I haven't been to Up/Down, I believe it's fairly new. Interesting that you got locked in an office building. I'm curious how that happened.

Glad some things worked out well and you got home okay.

Josh-da-man 02-15-16 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 12724347)
We had a late lunch at Grinders -- good wings!

I would like Grinder's much better if they didn't serve food on cheapest paper plates they can find. Kind of a grungy-looking place, but the bathrooms look pretty cool. I've had their chili bombed pizza and cheesesteaks. Need to try their death wings next time I'm in KC.

Abob Teff 02-15-16 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 12724476)
Fritz's is more of a novelty I will admit. I agree about Houlihans. I live north of the river and there's one here and I agree it's overpriced. Alamo Drafthouse on a Saturday is very busy (hence higher prices). I haven't been to Up/Down, I believe it's fairly new. Interesting that you got locked in an office building. I'm curious how that happened.

Glad some things worked out well and you got home okay.

We almost went to Tapcade, but Up/Down won out since they had skeeball for the Mrs. Up/Down has a neat concept, lots of games, and tons of beers on tap. It's just a damned tight fit in there.

Speaking of beers, I would have liked to do a few brewery tours. However the Mrs. isn't in to beer. I'm fairly new to craft beers (never cared for "regular" beer) and didn't know KC had such a craft culture.

About the office building ... We took an elevator in the parking garage. It let us off into a hallway leading into an office. We got off and started down the hallway, then found the doors were locked. Luckily the elevator doors had just closed and it hadn't gone anywhere.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12724608)
I would like Grinder's much better if they didn't serve food on cheapest paper plates they can find. Kind of a grungy-looking place, but the bathrooms look pretty cool. I've had their chili bombed pizza and cheesesteaks. Need to try their death wings next time I'm in KC.

Definitely a grungy looking place with not a lot of room. They bring in different brewers to do beer tastings on Tuesdays.

They brought us paper plates, but I'm not sure why. My wings came in a basket as did her sandwich (BLT -- damned good).

I debated between pizza or wings, went with wings. The Bengal Tiger pizza looked good. As for the wings, I went with Molten and liked it -- good mix of sweet and heat. They brought me a side of Near Death to try. That stuff is a damned time bomb. It tasted like a berry vinaigrette (which I didn't care for) and then a few seconds after you have chewed and swallowed - BOOM! Plenty of heat which could overwhelm you after a few wings, I just didn't care for the taste.

Josh-da-man 02-16-16 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Minor Threat (Post 12715788)
Stay as far away from this racist, pop-collared douchefest of an area unless you feel like fighting with either midtown hoods or uber-hicks in from the sticks.

Hey, I am a hick from the sticks!

I've been to the Power & Light District a several times, and never noticed anything that horrible. Of course each time I've been there it was killing time and enjoying a few drinks before a concert at the Sprint Center, and everybody there was doing the same thing.

Bluelitespecial 02-16-16 01:19 PM

I am glad to hear you and your wife had a good time. I always enjoy hearing people's opinion from out of town visiting, and gives me a few ideas for places and things I have never done here. I am a lifelong resident here and there are still some places and attractions I have never been to. I am glad you tried some of our suggestions. First off I can understand your sentiment about Crown Center. Crown Center, Hallmark's corporate office, and the hotel are all connected, if you have never been there its easy to get lost. I think the problem with the restaurants and the Alamo had a lot to do with it being Valentine's Weekend and everyone in town was out and about. The Alamo Drafthouse has a great online website for buying tickets for future reference. I would have picked one of the many Mexican restaurants on Southwest Blvd as a back up plan. Didn't get to have any BBQ? All the museums you went to sounded great, I really would recommend the Nelson Atkins in the future. Also there is a Kansas City tourism website that can help in planning a visit.
www.visitkc.com

Bluelitespecial 02-16-16 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12724922)

I've been to the Power & Light District a several times, and never noticed anything that horrible. Of course each time I've been there it was killing time and enjoying a few drinks before a concert at the Sprint Center, and everybody there was doing the same thing.

I am kind of at a point where I am past going to the clubs, but I enjoy the KC Live Block for the same thing, the watch parties are great, and I like the Johnny's there.