Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-19-10, 10:45 AM   #51
X
Administrator

Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Interesting that about 1/2 the rubs have sugar and the other half don't. Looks good tho!
The original of that recipe didn't have sugar. I added it, and the onion powder.
Old 06-19-10, 11:24 AM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Unless you want to do a short cut and cook 3/4 on the smoker and wrap in foil and finish in the oven. And nothing wrong with that. I've done it.
Yeah, no doubt I can't do a full proper smoke on anything besides ribs, that would be a pain with the brinkman. I've been mostly doing the 4-6 hour smoke and finishing in the oven. I do plan on upgrading, but this was free and I figured it would be a good way to start/experiment.

The biggest reason I'll eventually upgrade is that I'm guessing I might actually be able to use something like the Weber here in the winter, I know the brinkman would be almost impossible.

Last edited by starman9000; 06-19-10 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-19-10, 04:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Smoker recommendations? Brother-in-law has a cheap Brinkman (~$50 I think) that he said isn't particularly nice, but he has made some damn good ribs and salmon on it.

I don't really want to spend more than around $100 on the smoker itself.
Get the crappy $40 brinkman, and also buy a $30 weber smokey joe. The smokey joe is a round, portable grill that sits just a few inches off the ground.

When assembling the brinkman, instead of putting the legs on the inside of the body as the instructions indicate, put them on the outside. Do not use the brinkman firepan as it has no vents or temperature control of any kind.

Instead, use the legs and firepan of the smokey joe. The smokey joe has a vent on the bottom and a grate inside the firepan that the coals can rest on. Take the assembled brinkman (with the legs on the outside of the body), and set it over the smokey joe. Voila, instant temperature control.
Old 06-19-10, 06:34 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Brisket is rubbed and back in the frig. It was 10.5 lbs, but I do trim my brisket (I shouldn't say I always trim, this is only my 2nd brisket - I've done pork dozens of times). Anyway...I trimmed about 1.5 lbs of fat off, so should be about 9 lbs going on the smoker.

Oh, I did Bobby Flays exact rub posted above EXCEPT instead of ancho chili powder, I used chipotle chili powder. I just couldn't get over how good it smelled so went that route.

Smoker is prepped. At 9 lbs, roughly 1.5 hrs per lb so maybe about 13-14 hrs. So going with a heaping full ring of charcoal (Kingsford Original) and mostly Mesquite chunks w/some apple wood chunks mixed in. I mixed some in the charcoal all the way to the bottom and will put several pieces on top when I put the well lit coals on top.

Pics later....

Home Theater Build

Last edited by Sdallnct; 06-19-10 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 11:01 PM   #55
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
4-5 hour smoke? What are you smoking for that short of time? Ribs maybe?
yep ribs. though i mostly smoke whole chickens.
Old 06-20-10, 08:08 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is a "high-heat" brisket that can be done in that amount of time, maybe 6 hours.

I do not like it though.
Old 06-20-10, 08:29 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the smoker recommendations. After a bit of research, I think I'll just get a Weber. Even though my main reason (other than making awesome food) for getting one would be so I can sit outside and drink on a nice day, I definitely see the advantage of being able to let it go at night for quite a while.
Old 06-20-10, 08:36 PM   #58
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't get it, with the Weber, it still takes 12 hours low-and-slow, but with no fuss, so more time for drinking!
Old 06-20-10, 09:18 PM   #59
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post
Get the crappy $40 brinkman, and also buy a $30 weber smokey joe. The smokey joe is a round, portable grill that sits just a few inches off the ground.

When assembling the brinkman, instead of putting the legs on the inside of the body as the instructions indicate, put them on the outside. Do not use the brinkman firepan as it has no vents or temperature control of any kind.

Instead, use the legs and firepan of the smokey joe. The smokey joe has a vent on the bottom and a grate inside the firepan that the coals can rest on. Take the assembled brinkman (with the legs on the outside of the body), and set it over the smokey joe. Voila, instant temperature control.
That sounds like an interesting idea.

I'll outlive all these skinny bastards whose assholes are so tight they can only crap neutronium. - Mrs. Danger
Old 06-20-10, 09:33 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Thanks for the smoker recommendations. After a bit of research, I think I'll just get a Weber. Even though my main reason (other than making awesome food) for getting one would be so I can sit outside and drink on a nice day, I definitely see the advantage of being able to let it go at night for quite a while.
You can still do that! The thing with the Weber is it give you the option to do that or not. You can cook at higher/faster with the Weber as well. You can fill the ring with less charcoal for shorter cooks, etc.

There is still work to do when smoking on the Weber. Turn the food, mopping, putting some chicken or something else on while the long and slow stuff is going. You might add wood chunks, adjust some vents, etc.

The thing you don't have to do is worry about fuel. If you don't want sit out there with the smoker but instead drink with friends or get some sleep on a long smoke, you can.

Home Theater Build
Old 06-20-10, 09:37 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Having said all the above and LOVING my Weber already, todays brisket was a big fat FAIL! LOL

Over cooked it a bit. To much Mesquite wood. And the Chipotle Powder as the main ingredient in the rub was overpowering! I only wish I could have blamed the smoker...LOL

There was so much fuel left after the brisket was done, I made some jalapeņo poppers. Now those were damn good! Some of the best I've ever made.

Briskets starting to go on sale for the upcoming July 4th. I'll try again and try a more neutral rub. And some Apple/Cherry Wood chunks.

Home Theater Build
Old 06-21-10, 03:15 AM   #62
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i need to make some of those poppers.
Old 06-21-10, 07:00 AM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Find a better holder. I bought that one off Walmarts web site and it comes with a coring tool. The coring tool is worth the price by itself. Make quick, easy, fairly clean work of coring out a jalapeņo. However, the stand must be made for jalapenos form "NEW YORK CITY". Anything we have around here is really to big. You can't fill the stand up (though rarely do we have that many people that you would want to), and the tips barely fit int he holes. I like cooking mine till they are soft, but obviously can still stand on their own. But have to be careful with this unit, if you cook to long they may still taste good, but can't hold their shape and fall over in this stand.

With big jalaninos like these you can have fun. I've put raw shrimp in them, I've bacon wrapped them (with the smoker I didn't think it would crisp up the bacon so I cooked bacon separate and mixed with the cream cheese). You can literally make a meal out of two/three of these depending on what you put in them.

Home Theater Build
Old 06-21-10, 03:13 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still waiting for the OP to tell us where he bought rolling papers big enough to go around the pig.
Old 07-11-10, 11:58 AM   #65
X
Administrator

Quote:
The pork was tender. Tho the bark was a little chewy for my taste. But after pulling off the smoker, guests were not here yet. So I wrapped in foil for a little over an hour before pulling. That might have had something to do with it. Oh it wasn't bad, I just had to cut/chop the bark into smaller pieces.

I feel comfortable now controlling the temp with clay saucer and sand. See no need for water...

Here is a look as I was pulling the pork...

That's what I'm making today.
Old 07-12-10, 09:33 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

I did a small pork shoulder for the weekend of the 4th
either my friends wanted me to feel good or it came out well
Old 10-26-10, 07:47 PM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

After several more successful porks for pulled porks (last one was fantastic). I'm trying another brisket. A more traditional rub.

But get this; wife found a brisket on sale so I said, "bring it home". It is a 18.5lb beast of a brisket! Had to sort of arch it in the middle to fit. I planning for a 20 hour smoke!! Put on at 7:30pm. I imagine it being ready mid afternoon if I got the timing right....

Home Theater Build
Old 10-26-10, 10:00 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

You can take my smoker from me when you pry it from my cold dead hand!!

Home Theater Build
Old 10-26-10, 11:01 PM   #69
X
Administrator

Quote:
After several more successful porks for pulled porks (last one was fantastic). I'm trying another brisket. A more traditional rub.
I got tired of pulled pork so I've been looking for a decent brisket to make pastrami. Unfortunately, we just hit the rainy season so it's hard to time it just right.

I'd probably have to cure an 18 pound brisket for a week!
Old 10-27-10, 02:31 AM   #70
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

any advice on electric or propane smokers? (non-charcoal) i assume ?
Old 10-27-10, 08:43 AM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole177 View Post
any advice on electric or propane smokers? (non-charcoal) i assume ?
Why don't you want charcoal?

How much to you want to cook?

My current 12 hr smoke is still going strong without adding a single coal. Check out the Weber. You going to say "oh that looks like the $30 Kmart Brinkman's". Well it is not.

If you read above, I fought with a crappy smoker for 10 years. It was so bad I finally got to where I hardly used it. Finally took the plunge in the Weber...and it is amazing. For example, on my current cook (I'll post pics later)

Start smoker (with water pan and meat in place) at 7:30 lid temp less than 100
8:00pm lid temp at 175
Back from gym at 9:30 lid temp at 220
11:30 lid temp at 220
woke up on my own at 3:30am so checked, lid temp 220
7:30 lid temp at 250 so shut 2 vents down a little (3rd has been closed since start).

I know the little guy can go 18 hours without adding fuel. And of course, you can add. I expect the 18 lb brisket I have to take 18-22 hours (I'm thinking a little less than 20 right now). Will be interesting to see if the WSM will make it on one load.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Home Theater Build
Old 10-27-10, 08:49 AM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post
I got tired of pulled pork so I've been looking for a decent brisket to make pastrami. Unfortunately, we just hit the rainy season so it's hard to time it just right.

I'd probably have to cure an 18 pound brisket for a week!
Surprisingly the local crappy Walmart had it. They occasional mark down there stuff to incredible prices. The 18 lb'r was $13.XX!!! Last much they has some pork ribs (full racks) for $6.00!! Those are easily half the price of even Costco.

Next time I'm in, I'm going to go make nice with the manager or whatever in the meat department. See if I can figure out when/how they mark their stuff down. The dates on the package are no different than the one's not marked down. Best I can tell they mark down the very largest pieces. They had a 22 lb pork shoulder thing for like $15! But I was afraid it would take 30 hrs to smoke...lol....I should have bought anyway and cut up for green chili stew or something.

Home Theater Build
Old 10-27-10, 10:14 AM   #73
X
Administrator

Quote:
They had a 22 lb pork shoulder thing for like $15! But I was afraid it would take 30 hrs to smoke...lol....I should have bought anyway and cut up for green chili stew or something.
I guess it's the fairly low temperature I smoke at, but a 7 pound pork shoulder takes me 29-30 hours to smoke.
Old 10-27-10, 11:39 AM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I guess it's the fairly low temperature I smoke at, but a 7 pound pork shoulder takes me 29-30 hours to smoke.
Wow. That's a long damned smoke - I want some of your meat in my mouth.
Old 10-27-10, 01:05 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So your more curing it than cooking it?

I try to keep lid temp at 225 which is about 250 at the cooking grate (maybe 240). I usually go 1.5 hrs per pound. My last pork that was absolutely fantastic was about 9 lbs that I cooked for 14 hours. I never did check the internal temp of the meat.

This brisket is a little different. I just pulled it off the smoker after 16 hours. Starting weight was 18.5 lbs (probably just under 18 after I trimmed). I really kept temp at 225 by lid. The temp of the meat was 193-198 checking in several spots. And evidently unlike pork, it doesn't benefit from "rendering out". So I wrapped in foil, wrapped in a towel and put in a cooler.

Home Theater Build