Up early/late smoking a pig

Other Talk "Otterville"

Up early/late smoking a pig

Old 03-29-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I'm doing one of these today. Sorta following this recipe/guide - http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/tuls...-sausage-roll/

dsa_shea, are you Steven Raichlen?
Turned out fine I guess. Didn't expect it to be great. My arteries needed some toughening up. The ends needed to be closed up better, had some leakage.

Old 03-29-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Got an (electric) MasterBuilt yesterday ... First experience with smoking, but electric seems to be idiot-proof from what I have read.

Starting off simple with a ham. Just finished seasoning the smoker about an hour ago and got the ham in just as it started to rain.
It really is hard to mess things up. I know the purists prefer the WSMs, and I actually started out with a cheaper charcoal smoker, but the Masterbuilt is so much more flexible (other than the fact that it only goes to 275, making poultry a bit more difficult). I love having racks I can just pull out. I would recommend getting the bigger one though if anybody is looking, I have the smaller (30"?) one. It's fine for most things, but it'd be nice not having to cut rib racks in half before smoking, things like that.

What one did you guys get? This is what I have:

Old 03-29-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a 30" MB and use a little trick for longer things like brisket. Take a rib rack, if you have one, and put in under the middle of the brisket so that the brisket forms a hump. Let it smoke for a few hours and the meat will shrink. This will allow you to remove the rack and lay the meat down from corner to corner. Now, it might not work for a rack of ribs, as their isn't much shrinkage, or a larger brisket.
Old 03-29-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 254 Likes on 149 Posts

Is there a spot on those to put wood chips, or would it just have to go on a shelf with the meat?
Old 03-29-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 126 Posts

It really is hard to mess things up. I know the purists prefer the WSMs, and I actually started out with a cheaper charcoal smoker, but the Masterbuilt is so much more flexible (other than the fact that it only goes to 275, making poultry a bit more difficult). I love having racks I can just pull out. I would recommend getting the bigger one though if anybody is looking, I have the smaller (30"?) one. It's fine for most things, but it'd be nice not having to cut rib racks in half before smoking, things like that.

30" vs 40" refers to the overall height of the unit, so it won't make a difference for those ribs - neither can accommodate a rack that hasn't been split.

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Is there a spot on those to put wood chips, or would it just have to go on a shelf with the meat?
What you see on the lower right side of the unit is where the wood chips are loaded in. From there they heat, burn, and create smoke. No shelf space shared with the flesh.
Old 03-29-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

This one, though mine doesn't have a handle on the door.

I wish I had the window, but not a big deal. Mainly just because I am nosy and want to know what's going on in there.

Ham turned out pretty good! I thought it was a bit too smokey, but Mrs. Teff loved it. Debating what is on tap for the weekend ...
Old 03-30-16, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 254 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
What you see on the lower right side of the unit is where the wood chips are loaded in. From there they heat, burn, and create smoke. No shelf space shared with the flesh.
Gracias. This is tempting. I love smoking meat, but my current Dalek-esque smoker is a PITA.
Old 03-30-16, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I wish I had the window, but not a big deal. Mainly just because I am nosy and want to know what's going on in there.

Ham turned out pretty good! I thought it was a bit too smokey, but Mrs. Teff loved it. Debating what is on tap for the weekend ...
Kinda glad mine doesn't, as it'd probably be a bitch to keep clean after a few uses.

How 'bout a pork butt, or some ribs? Either way, make some atomic buffalo turds to go with it.

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Gracias. This is tempting. I love smoking meat, but my current Dalek-esque smoker is a PITA.
I've had a Masterbuilt for a couple of years now. Might not be as versatile as some of the other stuff out there, but damn it's simple! Especially if you add (or some models even include) wireless temperature probes for the meat and smoker.
Old 03-30-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the window is pretty useless. After the first couple smokes it was too dirty to see through anyways.

I love the website http://www.amazingribs.com for both educating myself and recipes.

I made ribs for the family for Easter. Turned out pretty good.
Old 03-30-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I figured that was going to be the case with the window. I also thought the remote control was a little excessive on that model. Admittedly, the remote sensors/thermometers sound tempting.

Couple of questions ... Anybody try using juice, soda, or alcohol rather than water?

Should I keep the top vent completely closed the whole time?
Old 03-31-16, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I've injected (pork butt) with apple juice and have some left over, I'll put some in the water pan. Dunno if it makes a difference or not.
Old 03-31-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read putting anything in the water pan other than water is a waste. What I have done a couple times is put a pan (with some water or apple juice, and a mix of veggies/spices) under what I'm smoking for the last couple hours to collect drippings to make a gravy/sauce.

Injecting, on the other hand, I've still never tried.

I honestly don't think the vent makes much of a difference on the Masterbuilts.

One thing you will discover...the wood chips need the heating element on so they can start smoking. When I've been cooking at lower temps (or in summer, when the sun helps keep things warmer), I've had a problem with getting it to heat enough to start the chips. Two things I've done to remedy this...if you want to cook at 225, put the meat on when it's at 200-215, then add the wood chips and set to 225. The other is lighting the chips in something else and then dumping them in. I still need to get one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Amazen-Pellet-...garden&sr=1-37 Let's you cold smoke things like cheese and salmon too.
Old 03-31-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts

The biggest problem with these electric smokers is that often the actual temperature in the smoke chamber is not the same temperature that you set it as. Sometimes I see the temperature be somewhere between 20-25 degrees higher or lower than the control is set at. I use a remote wired probe on the cooking rack to get a more accurate read on my smoking temperature and adjust the controls accordingly.
Old 03-31-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good point. I do the same as well. And mine has the attached meat probe thermometer, but I have a separate one for that too.
Old 04-01-16, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

oh wait...SMOKING a pig...sorry.
Old 04-01-16, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
30" vs 40" refers to the overall height of the unit, so it won't make a difference for those ribs - neither can accommodate a rack that hasn't been split.
Why can't you take the lower racks out and hang the ribs from the top rack? They have several different hangers on amazon. They should hold without falling off. Ribs should pull away from the bone.
Old 04-01-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm - never considered that. Perhaps you can.
Old 04-01-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah the window is pretty useless. After the first couple smokes it was too dirty to see through anyways.

I love the website http://www.amazingribs.com for both educating myself and recipes.

I made ribs for the family for Easter. Turned out pretty good.
thats my go to site for BBQing. I've made the "last meal ribs" about a dozen times. everyone always loves them. I've also yet to find a BBQ sauce that is good as the St Louis recipe from the website
Old 04-01-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zero View Post

oh wait...SMOKING a pig...sorry.
Thankfully you went with stroking ...

Actually, I think that is a demonstration for a dry rub technique.
Old 01-02-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 699 Likes on 502 Posts

So I came into some money (thanks survivor pool win!) and I have about $700 to spend on a pellet smoker. I read that Green Mountain is better than Traeger and know someone who confirmed that. He said the GM does better job a temp control than Traeger. Thinking of getting a GM Daniel Boone unless there are other suggestions out there.
Old 01-02-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 192 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
So I came into some money (thanks survivor pool win!) and I have about $700 to spend on a pellet smoker. I read that Green Mountain is better than Traeger and know someone who confirmed that. He said the GM does better job a temp control than Traeger. Thinking of getting a GM Daniel Boone unless there are other suggestions out there.
If your interested in something other than a pellet smoker, I can't give enough love to the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Before it I had a "traditional" off set smoker and just got tired of baby sitting it. But the Weber is amazing in its control, consistency, and results.

It's not as glamorous as the Green Egg, but not near the cost.

My speciality is pulled pork. And I can load that think up and it will run 15-18 hours before neading more charcoal. And barely a need to mess or fiddle with the vents. I pretty much just do overnight now. Works great.

I think they are $300ish. Get a few accessories and have money left over for meat!

Great resource

http://virtualweberbullet.com
Old 01-02-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Love my Bullet, I have the bigger one.
Old 01-05-17, 09:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
If your interested in something other than a pellet smoker, I can't give enough love to the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Before it I had a "traditional" off set smoker and just got tired of baby sitting it. But the Weber is amazing in its control, consistency, and results.

It's not as glamorous as the Green Egg, but not near the cost.

My speciality is pulled pork. And I can load that think up and it will run 15-18 hours before neading more charcoal. And barely a need to mess or fiddle with the vents. I pretty much just do overnight now. Works great.

I think they are $300ish. Get a few accessories and have money left over for meat!

Great resource

http://virtualweberbullet.com
<s>What size do you have and how big of a group do you usually feed?</s> I'm looking at picking one of these up (today maybe...) and can't decide if I should go for the 14" or 18". 22" is way too big for me, though.

edit: I see you have the 18.5"

Any other tips/tricks for rookies? I've watched a ton of videos about using this thing over the last 24 hours, but I'm more interested in knowing what the folks here have to say in terms of little things that may not be covered in videos.

I've never smoked meat before. Never even watched someone do it (other than videos). I'm a little worried about doing a cook and totally botching it somehow.

Last edited by Dan; 01-05-17 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-05-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would encourage you to go with the 18".
Old 01-05-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 699 Likes on 502 Posts

I ended up going with a Green Mountain Daniel Boone model. I get one free year of pellets (20 lbs a month) so I think it's a pretty damn good deal. Unfortunately, it was not in stock, so I have to wait until this weekend or early next week to get it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.