Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Up early/late smoking a pig

Old 01-10-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
On another note, does anyone here do chicken quarters? I haven't done them yet but thinking of doing it Saturday for a little party. Everything I read on the net says around 300 for a couple hours to make the skin right and 170 meat temp. I've got cherry, apple, and hickory wood. Was thinking to use the apple smoke and a rub I have. Any thoughts or pointers?
I've done chicken a few times, it's really simple. I've always just prepared them the way the one Virtual Weber Bullet article recommends. Yeah, you get it to the right internal temp and then move to just over the hot coals for a minute or two to make the skin crispy. IIRC, it usually only ends up taking about an hour and a half when I've done it. Keep an eye on it so they don't get overcooked, but other than that it's pretty fool proof.
Old 01-10-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Barth View Post
On another note, does anyone here do chicken quarters? I haven't done them yet but thinking of doing it Saturday for a little party. Everything I read on the net says around 300 for a couple hours to make the skin right and 170 meat temp. I've got cherry, apple, and hickory wood. Was thinking to use the apple smoke and a rub I have. Any thoughts or pointers?
I have done butterflied chickens on the Bullet, but I do my pieces on the kettle grill. Could just throw a lump of wood on the coals for some smokiness.
Old 01-11-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
Brisket is a tough one to do in cold weather unless you finish it in the oven.
Hmm. So far, cold weather has had practically zero impact on my WSM. But I haven't done anything when the weather is below 30 degrees, so I can't really comment to that.
Old 01-11-13, 11:39 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Hmm. So far, cold weather has had practically zero impact on my WSM. But I haven't done anything when the weather is below 30 degrees, so I can't really comment to that.
Interesting. I have to use much more charcoal when the weather is cold and it's hard to get high temps to finish off things like brisket in a reasonable time.

I used the normal amount of charcoal for a smoked salmon the other day. Instead of it getting up to around 250 which it usually does pretty easily, it was in the low 200s for quite a while. Even when I opened all the vents and got the coals really going it only got up to about 275, where it would easily have been around 300 during the summer. This is with a WSM too.
Old 01-14-13, 11:43 AM

My WSM runs pretty cold all of the time. I have to crack the door on the front any time I want to get up over 300 degrees. Not sure what the deal is there. I'll have to smoke something soon and see what kinds of temps I get.
Old 01-17-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, should be a nice weekend. So think will do some cooking. Bone in pork butt or shoulder for sure. Maybe a brisket as well. Think ill have both the smoker and grill going.
Old 01-18-13, 09:39 AM

Yeah, I told the wife I need to drag the smoker out this weekend since the weather's supposed to be halfway decent. We'll probably just do ribs or something. With a newborn in the house, I'm not sure I have the time/patience for any long cooks.
Old 04-07-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I ended up getting an electric smoker. Got a 30" Masterbuilt with the RF remote and glass front door. Did some STL ribs a few weeks back that turned out great. I'm doing a pork butt now.

I really can't tell too much of a difference taste wise so far. The main issue is all the electric smokers only seem to go to 275, so smoking birds could be a problem. And reading amazon reviews, the heating elements seem to go out more often than they should. But I think if that does happen I'll be able to get a suitable or better replacement anyways.

But it is really nice being able to sit in the living room and monitor and control temps, particularly with longer cooks like this.
Old 04-07-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea...I wouldn't do a big old turkey. Maybe...just maybe a chicken. But still that makes me nervous.
Old 08-10-13, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone this morning, help me out guys...I've only done a butt once in my new electric smoker, I think it took about 9-10 hours for a 8 pounder. Decided to do two this weekend, all my butcher had was about 10.5 pound butts, so I wanted to give myself plenty of breathing room and started about 1am. Things went good the first hour or so, went to bed for a few hours, just woke up at 6am...and the fuckers are both about 180!!! WTF!?

I'm not understanding how that's possible. With my shitty old Brinkman charcoal smoker it would probably take 15-16 hours to get them that warm internally, and that was with plenty of temperature spikes to close to 300. The one main benefit of the electric smoker is it maintains its temperature really well, and it was set at 230.

Any ideas?
Old 08-10-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's tough....not sure what might have happened. I'd check smoker temp, lower as needed and leave in there. I wouldn't pull off smoker unless the internal temps gets over 215-220. And even then lower smoker more and leave on. IMO time is as important as temp. Also check probe position. Maybe hitting bone?

I no longer do internal temp on my butts. I do 1.5 hrs per lb keeping smoker at 225 and not more than 250. If they are big I will flip and rotate otherwise I don't bother. I check the bone (for looseness) before pulling.

If due to timing, it's not time to eat, I'll wrap in foil, put in a small cooler and cover with a towel. It will stay hot for hours that way. Only down side is the burt ends are not as crisp. But still tastes as good.
Old 08-10-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yesterday I made a large batch (4 lbs) of my smoked pecans for the office. Huge hit....highly recommended. How to make?

I get the 2 lb bags of pecans at Costco
while smoker is warming up I melt a tbls of unsalted per 2 cups of nuts (a 2lb bag is roughly 8 cups, so 4tbsp of butter). Dump nuts in a big bowl and add butter and salt and mix well. Add salt to taste. I like just a touch more salt then you might think, but try however much you want. I like simple kosher salt, but sea salt works as well (tho I wouldn't bother with the fancy or expensive stuff).

You can punch holes in a foil pie pan and use that. Or any normal pan. I have a grill wok with lots of little holes and use that. I put the water pan in, but don't add water. I use a med chunk of apple wood (be careful not to add to much. Pecans take a lot of smoke).

I don't worry about the temp so long as the empty water bowl is in place. I usually sits around 275-300. Usually an hour does it, I mix every 15 min or so. Your not roasting them. Just long and hot enough so some of the oils come out and mix with the butter/salt. If you try them right off the smoker and still hot, they taste a tiny bit stale as they still moist. But as they dry they become wonderful.

Let cool and keep in an air tight container or zip bag.
Old 08-12-13, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone here inject their butts or pork shoulders? I have thought about doing it the next time I smoke a Boston butt. Any advice or recipes?
Old 08-12-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do injection and it is an absolute must for larger pieces of meat like a pork butt. If you Google recipes for it you'll find alot.
Old 08-12-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it is a preference, but I never inject true pork/beef q. Meaning slow and low.

My feeling is, meat and pork that you go low and slow with has plenty of fat that renders (which is the point of slow and low). to keep it moist. And keeping the temp low means almost difficult to over cook.

In addition, these meats have plenty of taste that I generally want to keep. Sure some Burt Ends are great, but I want to taste the meats, not what was injected.

Lastly, I've had several injected BBQ before (a buddy is a fan) and never had one that i didn't think was totally over done. To much flavor and to much of it.

Now, I will inject turkey and chicken. Low fat means easy to dry out. And let's face it, even well done turkey doesn't have a ton of flavor. Hence brine and injection is often a good thing.

My suggestion? Try it and see how you like.
Old 08-12-13, 06:29 PM

any birds, brine, then inject!
Old 08-12-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is arguably the most famous, most common, way to cook a pork butt. It is my standard, but I change up with different spices.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork2.html

I bought a coffee grinder that I use to freshly grind whole peppercorns.
Old 08-13-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Renowned Mr. Brown is a clutch recipe, pretty much the standard (as Sdallnct said).
Old 08-17-13, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone on here bought cryo packaged ribs and have a stinky smell when you open them? I had two packs of baby backs that I bought a week ago and still some days before their sell date. I opened them up and they had a bit of a sulphur smell. I rinsed them and went ahead and put them on the smoker. However, I'm still a bit undecided on whether or not we will eat them. Any experience with this?
Old 08-17-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Has anyone on here bought cryo packaged ribs and have a stinky smell when you open them? I had two packs of baby backs that I bought a week ago and still some days before their sell date. I opened them up and they had a bit of a sulphur smell. I rinsed them and went ahead and put them on the smoker. However, I'm still a bit undecided on whether or not we will eat them. Any experience with this?
A couple times. Never had any ill effects either.
Old 08-17-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
A couple times. Never had any ill effects either.
Thanks for the response! I have them smoking and they will be finished in another hour or so.
Old 08-17-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taenia_solium
Old 08-18-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone here inject their butts or pork shoulders? I have thought about doing it the next time I smoke a Boston butt. Any advice or recipes?
You just don't see a post like this in any other thread on DVDTalk.
Old 08-18-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, maybe a few threads.
Old 08-18-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Butt injection is not something that is just thrown out there.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.