Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Up early/late smoking a pig

Old 06-16-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

Originally Posted by X View Post
Thanks for posting that link. Seems like a lot of work ahead to smoke some salmon.
Old 06-16-12, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
After doing a bit more research and talking to a few other people including you that seems to be the case. Thanks for responding to me. Has anyone tried injecting their pork or reintroducing some of the juices about midway through the smoking process?

Yea the liquid is only an insulator. No flavor and doesn't keep the meat moist. I've tested using, water, sand, clay poy, and the meat is all the same. I actually went back to water. But really think it is whatever you are use too.

Originally Posted by jonw9 View Post
Yeah, the water pan is to maintain the temperature (around 212 F) and doesn't make the meat more moist or flavorful. After one or 2 smokes, I went to the "clay pot" method and haven't used a drop of water in there since.
Yea, I liked the clay pot. But I also like the water. I just wrap the pan in foil before adding water and clean up is easy.
Old 06-16-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
On mission to find an un-basted, un-brined turkey for Saturday. Ribs tomorrow...what do you guys prefer, baby backs or St. Louis?
Well? Did you find a turkey? How did it go?

I use an empty water pan ( no clay pot or sand either) to let it run in the 325-375 range. Don't recommend low and slow for bird for obvious reasons.
Old 06-16-12, 10:28 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Thanks for posting that link. Seems like a lot of work ahead to smoke some salmon.
Not really a lot of work. The initial rub is just a bit of a pain, waiting a couple hours and then rinsing it off. The entire amount of working time probably isn't over 1/2 hour.

You can make a lot of the finishing rub so you can have that ready the next time (you have to keep it very dry, the brown sugar likes to clump). The cooking only takes about 1.5 hours and you don't have to do anything to it while cooking.

I highly recommend trying it. I think it's more than worth the initial rub effort.
Old 06-17-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would do the salmon on the kettle, over indirect heat. Loading up the smoker for only 90 minutes seems a bit inefficient.
Old 06-17-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Well? Did you find a turkey? How did it go?

I use an empty water pan ( no clay pot or sand either) to let it run in the 325-375 range. Don't recommend low and slow for bird for obvious reasons.
No turkeys to be found anywhere with no solution added...even my butcher said he couldn't special order one this time of year. So I just got a regular 12lb. Butterball. About as easy as it gets. Trimmed it up a bit, rubbed it with veggie oil, applied the dry rub, and threw it on the smoker for ~3 hours. Good stuff. Will definitely be doing plenty of them in the future, just because it's so cheap and easy.
Old 06-17-12, 09:21 PM
X
Administrator

I got a really nice brisket yesterday so it looks like we're having pastrami on Thursday.
Old 06-18-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

To offer a little more anecdotal evidence, even though it's not supposed to add moisture to the meat, the few times I've gone with no water in the pan, my ribs felt a little more "dried out" to me. Maybe I cooked em too long on those occasions, but that's how it felt to me. So I always go with water, even though it's not supposed to really be affecting things that much. The clean-up is not that bad, so I don't mind using the water pan the way it was intended. But a lot of folks I know use clay pots or foiled bricks or whatever and continue to have great results. So it's hard to say.
Old 06-22-12, 08:53 PM
X
Administrator

I got a really nice brisket yesterday so it looks like we're having pastrami on Thursday.
It finished too late for last night's dinner.

It's amazingly good. Currently in the process of becoming reuben and pastrami sandwiches.
Old 06-23-12, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you do a high heat brisket, or low and slow?
My last one was HH and I wasn't a huge fan. I am thinking low and slow for the 4th, possibly over a couple of butts, because I can.
Old 06-28-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With any luck we'll have a boat load of salmon by morning...how do you guys suggest preparing & smoking them?
Old 06-28-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All fish,

Don't over smoke
Use llighter woods (alder, apple, cherry)
Don't over cook
Decide how u will get it off the grates in one piece. Presentation matters
Don't over use lemon
Old 07-04-12, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trying another brisket. Doing a low/slow method. I tried a high-heat one last time, and wasn't impressed.

Brisket is more of a finicky cook, and easy to mess up. Although most people I tell I am cooking mention "we prefer the pork" so I am not sure if my brisket sucks, or my pork is that good, but pig is an easier smoke for sure.

Old 07-04-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ribs again today...BRITU I think, but I've got STL ribs and that calls for baby backs - should be fine, just a slightly longer cook, right?

I want to try a brisket, but will probably wait until I get a WSM.
Old 07-04-12, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Ribs again today...BRITU I think, but I've got STL ribs and that calls for baby backs - should be fine, just a slightly longer cook, right?

I want to try a brisket, but will probably wait until I get a WSM.
I have a couple racks to throw on if/when this brisket finishes.

I believe STL ribs do need to cook a bit longer. You could trim them to baby back, and then do the scraps on the side (chef snacks)
Old 07-04-12, 11:32 AM
X
Administrator

Did you do a high heat brisket, or low and slow?
My last one was HH and I wasn't a huge fan. I am thinking low and slow for the 4th, possibly over a couple of butts, because I can.
Pastrami is generally cooked differently than brisket even though it's the same meat. The finish temperature can be 30-40 lower than a brisket.

However I like to get the pastrami up to around 185-190 which makes it more tender than the lower temps. So that it doesn't take overnight or until really late, I turn up the smoking temp to around 270, maybe 280, for the majority of the smoke and then possibly up to 300 right at the end to get the meat up to temp. I don't use high temps for smoking anything.
Old 07-04-12, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pastrami is generally cooked differently than brisket even though it's the same meat. The finish temperature can be 30-40 lower than a brisket.

However I like to get the pastrami up to around 185-190 which makes it more tender than the lower temps. So that it doesn't take overnight or until really late, I turn up the smoking temp to around 270, maybe 280, for the majority of the smoke and then possibly up to 300 right at the end to get the meat up to temp. I don't use high temps for smoking anything.
I ended up doing ~250 for about 14 hours.
High heats are usually 350 or so, for 4-6 hours. Some people (even in competition) swear by this method.
Old 07-04-12, 06:07 PM
X
Administrator

I ended up doing ~250 for about 14 hours.
That sounds about right. How did it turn out?
Old 07-05-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ended up doing the ribs 3-2-1 style (more like 3-1.5-.25), turned out excellent. Only time my ribs turn out real good is when I wrap in aluminum foil after a few hours. Just threw a bit of BBQ sauce in there and maybe an ounce of water, definitely helped to get/keep them nice and moist.
Old 07-05-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That sounds about right. How did it turn out?
It still seemed a bit dry. It had a good pull. People seemed to like it. I am always a bit critical of my cooking.
Old 07-06-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody ever do kalua pork?
Old 07-06-12, 10:34 AM
X
Administrator

I did once.
Old 07-06-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did once.
Just the once? Is that a hint?
Old 07-06-12, 11:47 AM
X
Administrator

It was ok, although I had to use banana leaves, but I'm not much of a fan of smoked pork butts in general. I don't like the fat and it's hard to separate it out.
Old 07-06-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Man, lately I've been a real Carnitas kick. Like almost obsessed with it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.