Reload this Page >

Up early/late smoking a pig

Other Talk "Otterville"

Up early/late smoking a pig

Old 06-07-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Up early/late smoking a pig

I like the meat of this whole shoulder but not as much as I do the Boston Butt. I think that having to cook it longer sucked some of the moisture out of it. Also, this is the first time that I started and finished it without wrapping it in aluminum foil and that also allowed some of the moisture to escape but keep the bark. The crispy bark is pretty good but I prefer the meat to be a bit more moist so I will likely stick with the smoke and then wrap procedure from now on. Here is the meat opened up:
Spoiler:
Old 06-07-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 211 Likes on 181 Posts

Yea, the shoulder has a more "ham" flavor to me. Not a bad thing but to me, nothing like a Butt. I almost always just buy the Butt. Tho, in my experience the Butt is a little more fatty and I do trim just a bit with it. The shoulder I usually don't trim at all or just a tinny amount.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 06-07-12 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about some sauce recommendations? Plan on just serving it on the side.
Old 06-07-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think there was another thread for BBQ sauce.

I don't bother making tomato based BBQ sauce as there are so many. And so many good one's.

I make a mustard based BBQ sauce and vinegar based sauce. Wow, thinking about it, I might have to turn in my Texas Man card. I do pork more than beef. And mustard rather than tomato BBQ sauce. Aggh....
Old 06-07-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I make a mustard based BBQ sauce and vinegar based sauce.
Yeah, that's what I'm after...probably have a tomato based and another one or two. Any good recipes?

And don't feel bad, I'm the son of a beef farmer, and me and the old man both prefer pork (for smoking, that is...).
Old 06-07-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed the meat from the shoulder I smoked but I think I am going to stick to butts from now on. The meat just wasn't as juicy as I would have liked it to be.
Old 06-07-12, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm after...probably have a tomato based and another one or two. Any good recipes?

And don't feel bad, I'm the son of a beef farmer, and me and the old man both prefer pork (for smoking, that is...).
Stolen from Smoke and Spice

Mustard based BBQ sauce,

1 cup white vinegar
.50-.75 cup yellow mustard
1 med onion
.25 cup tomato puree
1 table spoon paprika
6 garlic cloves
1.5 tsp salt
.5 tsp cayenne
.5 tsp black pepper

Cook in a saucer pan till onion is soft. I let cool than put in a blender to chop and combine and make smooth. But you don't have to.
Old 06-08-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Stolen from Smoke and Spice

Mustard based BBQ sauce,

1 cup white vinegar
.50-.75 cup yellow mustard
1 med onion
.25 cup tomato puree
1 table spoon paprika
6 garlic cloves
1.5 tsp salt
.5 tsp cayenne
.5 tsp black pepper

Cook in a saucer pan till onion is soft. I let cool than put in a blender to chop and combine and make smooth. But you don't have to.
Just made it, good stuff! Think I'll make a KC-style one too, just so I can tell everybody I made everything from scratch.

Now I'm off to construct a wind-blocking device out of plywood and 2x4s.
Old 06-08-12, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just made it, good stuff! Think I'll make a KC-style one too, just so I can tell everybody I made everything from scratch.

Now I'm off to construct a wind-blocking device out of plywood and 2x4s.
Now the BBQ sauce is something I recommend making the day (or two) before! It will get even better in "melding" in the frig.

BTW, if there is a restaurant supply store near you, go get the good plastic reusable ketchup dispenser bottles. The one's at WallyWorld just suck. Often they will have the heavy plastic clear one's so you can see exactly what is in them. And they are not that much more than the garbage one's.
Old 06-08-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I had some ok ones laying around, so we'll see if they withstand the abuse of drunks and little kids.
Old 06-09-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well? Update? Weren't you starting at midnight? How is the smoker holding up?
Old 06-10-12, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Patiently awaits an update and pic's of the Q
Old 06-11-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ended up good, the best of the 3 I've done...but it wasn't without a bit of drama. Story spoiled for length...

Spoiler:
Got the smoker going by 11:30, pork was on by midnight. I'm so paranoid that I set an alarm for every 30 minutes all night long to check on it. And good luck getting to sleep when running in and out of the house that often. So ended up with maybe an hour or so of total shut-eye. About 12:30 some punks TP'd the neighbors, I busted out the spotlight to chase them away. Don't think they were expecting that.

Then a little after 2 I'm laying on the couch attempting to get 5 minutes of sleep, and I hear a huge crash. I jump up and run outside, my first thought being that the kids doing the TPing decided to fuck with it, so I'm preparing myself to chase some teenager down and then do...? I had no idea. When I open the garage door, first thing I see is the pork butt laying on the driveway. God. Dammit. No kids to be found. Never did find out what caused it (was only 5-10mph winds, and it was sitting pretty sturdy). So in a panic, I pick the thing up with my bare hands to set it on the table. Burnt my hands pretty good.

Knocked the whole smoker over, water from the pan running down the driveway and into the hot coals. I set everything back up, wondering what I'm going to do with the pork. It was intact, and clean all things considered. So I wiped it all off good with paper towels and sprinkled a bunch of rub on it (luckily I had quite a bit extra mixed up). I'm sure the crust was messed up pretty good from the whole ordeal, but I really didn't know what else to do at that point. Wasn't going to throw it out since it looked fine for the most part. And I couldn't see how it'd really be unsanitary, considering I wiped off anything that hit the driveway.

Of course after that I couldn't sleep at all. Surprisingly the smoker kept it's heat pretty good, pretty much stayed between 220-280 the entire time (went through a 16lb bag of Kingsford), and it took just about 12 hours as expected. Wrapped it in foil, threw it in the oven for a bit, and pulled it an hour or so later. Had about 50 people show up, everybody liked it, though I did run out. I forgot to take into account the few people you always get who feel the need to eat a ton (one guy probably had .75-1lb on his sandwich...wtf? Guess next time I'll serve it all up myself ). But I think only a couple people who wanted some didn't get any, so could've been worse I guess. Also had burgers, so everybody got something at least.

Also made coleslaw to go with it, and a KC style sweet sauce along with the mustard based sauce sdallnct posted. I much preferred the mustard sauce, but not surprisingly most people opted for the sweeter stuff.

Sorry, no pics of the pork. Kinda forgot.

Made some ABTs after I took the pork off. Ridiculously good, but I ate too many.

Spoiler:

I had 12 jalapenos, did 6 whole ones and the 12 halves. I think it's easier and just as tasty to do the halves. I used the recipe Xander posted earlier. They only took about 1.25-1.5 hours.

Somehow on my 1-ish hour of sleep, managed to party until 2am, and woke up at 6am Sunday to clean up. Had about a 5 hour nap yesterday afternoon though.

I see baby backs are on sale this week for 2.99...
Old 06-11-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ended up good, the best of the 3 I've done...but it wasn't without a bit of drama. Story spoiled for length...

Spoiler:
Got the smoker going by 11:30, pork was on by midnight. I'm so paranoid that I set an alarm for every 30 minutes all night long to check on it. And good luck getting to sleep when running in and out of the house that often. So ended up with maybe an hour or so of total shut-eye. About 12:30 some punks TP'd the neighbors, I busted out the spotlight to chase them away. Don't think they were expecting that.

Then a little after 2 I'm laying on the couch attempting to get 5 minutes of sleep, and I hear a huge crash. I jump up and run outside, my first thought being that the kids doing the TPing decided to fuck with it, so I'm preparing myself to chase some teenager down and then do...? I had no idea. When I open the garage door, first thing I see is the pork butt laying on the driveway. God. Dammit. No kids to be found. Never did find out what caused it (was only 5-10mph winds, and it was sitting pretty sturdy). So in a panic, I pick the thing up with my bare hands to set it on the table. Burnt my hands pretty good.

Knocked the whole smoker over, water from the pan running down the driveway and into the hot coals. I set everything back up, wondering what I'm going to do with the pork. It was intact, and clean all things considered. So I wiped it all off good with paper towels and sprinkled a bunch of rub on it (luckily I had quite a bit extra mixed up). I'm sure the crust was messed up pretty good from the whole ordeal, but I really didn't know what else to do at that point. Wasn't going to throw it out since it looked fine for the most part. And I couldn't see how it'd really be unsanitary, considering I wiped off anything that hit the driveway.

Of course after that I couldn't sleep at all. Surprisingly the smoker kept it's heat pretty good, pretty much stayed between 220-280 the entire time (went through a 16lb bag of Kingsford), and it took just about 12 hours as expected. Wrapped it in foil, threw it in the oven for a bit, and pulled it an hour or so later. Had about 50 people show up, everybody liked it, though I did run out. I forgot to take into account the few people you always get who feel the need to eat a ton (one guy probably had .75-1lb on his sandwich...wtf? Guess next time I'll serve it all up myself ). But I think only a couple people who wanted some didn't get any, so could've been worse I guess. Also had burgers, so everybody got something at least.

Also made coleslaw to go with it, and a KC style sweet sauce along with the mustard based sauce sdallnct posted. I much preferred the mustard sauce, but not surprisingly most people opted for the sweeter stuff.

Sorry, no pics of the pork. Kinda forgot.

Made some ABTs after I took the pork off. Ridiculously good, but I ate too many.

Spoiler:

I had 12 jalapenos, did 6 whole ones and the 12 halves. I think it's easier and just as tasty to do the halves. I used the recipe Xander posted earlier. They only took about 1.25-1.5 hours.

Somehow on my 1-ish hour of sleep, managed to party until 2am, and woke up at 6am Sunday to clean up. Had about a 5 hour nap yesterday afternoon though.

I see baby backs are on sale this week for 2.99...
It freezes really well. If I am making pork, it is 3-4 butts at a time. It uses the same amount of time and fuel for a few that it does for one.

Then I make baggies of 1-2 servings and trow them in the freezer. The you can have pork sandwiches, nachos, spaghetti, or whatever you can imagine. It makes the lack of sleep more worthwhile.
Old 06-12-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, I either buy the biggest Butt I can find or buy several regardless of the number of people coming.

My FIL gave us one of those "seal bag" things. If you plan on BBQ'n, smoking regularly, I do recommend them. I don't think they are worth while for the occasional warehouse club thing, but they are great for left over Q. Not only seal out the air, but easy to write on the bags with a Sharpie for what it is and date.

That is awesome all came out well!! Fantastic! Can't believe something tipped your smoker over. That is just the suck!

I've been focusing on my new Kettle lately. I brined some chicken breast and cooked them the other night. Fantastic. I also brined up a pork loin. Few minutes over direct heat than rolled over a drip pan with wine, and a piece of apple wood in with the coals. And hour later, yummy. Tho I think I overcooked a bit. I pull it right at 142. But the temp went up to 155 while it rested . Good taste. And not totally dry thanks to the brine. But overcooked for my taste. Next time I'm pulling one that big at 134-135. Hopefully that keeps it closer to 145 for finish.

I may have to do some beer can chicken now that I got the rig for it.
Old 06-12-12, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

That sucks to hear someone/thing tipped over your smoker, man. Glad everything came out okay, though. I'll also echo the sentiment to do more than one butt at a time. (Words to live by ). They usually come two in a pack if you get the cryovac'd ones. I almost always have some leftover that I freeze.

Glad the ABT's came out well too! I'm smoking some more of those bad boys on Saturday. Think I'll play around with the filling a bit. Maybe add some jack cheese or something. Also gotta figure out a main course. I've been thinking about trying out an authentic jerk seasoning recipe on some chicken wings/thighs, so I might do that. My smoker's been cold for a few weeks now. Time to warm it up again!
Old 06-12-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, lesson learned on doing more than one at a time. My thinking was that since everybody was bringing a dish to pass, not as much pork and burgers would be eaten. Ah well.

I've been wanting to get a decent vacuum sealer for years (catch a lot of fish and process our own venison, along with freezing plenty of fruits/veggies), any suggestions? Tried the ziploc thing a few years back, it didn't work very good and the bags were kind of pricey.
Old 06-14-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On mission to find an un-basted, un-brined turkey for Saturday. Ribs tomorrow...what do you guys prefer, baby backs or St. Louis?
Old 06-14-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just bought me another boston butt today and will get that baby ready to smoke tomorrow. Has anyone ever tried putting beer in the steam bowl?
Old 06-15-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Making St. Louis cut ribs today along with cornbread and potato salad.

Turkey and sweet potato fries tomorrow.
Old 06-15-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

On mission to find an un-basted, un-brined turkey for Saturday. Ribs tomorrow...what do you guys prefer, baby backs or St. Louis?
Baby backs have more meat, but it's all white meat. Spares (whole, or St. Louis cut) have more fat, darker meat, more flavor. I used to be a babyback man, but I'm loving spareribs lately.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Just bought me another boston butt today and will get that baby ready to smoke tomorrow. Has anyone ever tried putting beer in the steam bowl?
I've read numerous posts of people who have and said it didn't impart much (if any) flavor to the meat. The number 1 job of the liquid is to act as a heat sink. It will impart moisture to the cooking chamber too, but not a ton.
Old 06-15-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xander View Post
I've read numerous posts of people who have and said it didn't impart much (if any) flavor to the meat. The number 1 job of the liquid is to act as a heat sink. It will impart moisture to the cooking chamber too, but not a ton.
After doing a bit more research and talking to a few other people including you that seems to be the case. Thanks for responding to me. Has anyone tried injecting their pork or reintroducing some of the juices about midway through the smoking process?
Old 06-15-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the water pan is to maintain the temperature (around 212 F) and doesn't make the meat more moist or flavorful. After one or 2 smokes, I went to the "clay pot" method and haven't used a drop of water in there since.
Old 06-16-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just put another butt on a couple of hours ago. This will be my fourth smoke job in less than a month. This shit gets addicting. We are going to try to smoke some salmon soon so any suggestions or recipes?
Old 06-16-12, 08:11 PM
X
Administrator

Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
We are going to try to smoke some salmon soon so any suggestions or recipes?
This is all you need to know:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.