Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I have gout! EEEK!

Old 06-11-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: I have gout! EEEK!

Old 06-11-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what is EEEK! ? And do I avoid getting it?

the bus
Old 06-12-10, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

Holy CRAP all of you people are scaring me! I just hit 40 and I have foot problems as it is, I don't want to catch this gout thing! Please tell me it's an old MAN thing, not a woman thing??

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Oh man I had a bout with da gout in 2006 32 years old and it was on my left foot 2nd toe right in the middle. I remember when it started i was like man did I bang my toe somewhere? Later that night my ex pulled the covers up and it just skimmed my toe and it felt like my toe had been smashed by a hammer. OMG that was one of the worst pains I have ever had. It had me in bed for almost a week. I remember my toe was red, swollen and really warm. I was 2 days before I went to a DR and they told me what it was. Man that was awful stuff.
What??? Worst pain ever, and you STILL took 2 days to see the dr? I would be sprinting (figuratively, of course ) in to the dr. the next damn day!
You people are weird.

Old 06-12-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
See how the whole Asherah thing comes full circle?
Yeah, that song was the SHIT BITD....!

Old 06-12-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shoppingbear View Post
I just hit 40

Fucking kids. Get off my lawn!
Old 06-13-10, 02:44 AM

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
Fucking kids. Get off my lawn!
Thanks.
Old 07-02-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Man, last night I got up from the couch and my knee suddenly felt sore. Still sore this morning, and the soreness does not dissipate. But I don't know if it is gout again, or if I am just freaked out about the possibility.
Old 04-05-11, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my continuing effort to be more like kvrdave, I have come down with gout. Man, it hurts like hell. I thought I had somehow broken my toe.
Old 04-05-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
In my continuing effort to be more like kvrdave, I have come down with gout. Man, it hurts like hell. I thought I had somehow broken my toe.
Thats how I felt the first time I got it. It was the worse. Luckily I've only had it just once since then.
Old 04-06-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Damn, sorry to hear. Haven't had it again, fortunately.
Old 04-06-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how many people in this thread have the font size set to 125%.
Old 04-06-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

im sorry to hear that.
Old 04-06-11, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Must be nice.
Old 04-06-11, 03:11 AM

fuck gout.

seems like indocin/indomethicin is no longer used.

anyone hear of uloric? that's the new pill on the market.
Old 04-06-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My doctor put me on indomethicin. It's an anti-inflamatory, and it basically clears out the gout attack. It worked like a champ. I've been on the medicine about 16 hours and the attack is 90% cleared up.

As I understand it, uloric lowers the uric acid levels in your blood stream. It seems like it's a long-term/maintenance type drug to prevent future attacks.

Next week, I go back for blood tests to see if this was a one-time thing or if I've got elevated uric acid levels that suggest this might recur. If so, I guess my doctor will put me on uloric or something similar.
Old 04-06-11, 09:38 AM

Mine returned this year, dammit. Four years with no attack, but I quickly found myself almost unable to walk. This shit is the gift that keeps on giving. Thankfully, my cherry pills calmed it down a lot. I usually just feel a burning sensation in the toe joint now.
Old 04-06-11, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst View Post
That could be it. I went on a serious crash diet and lost 10 or 15 pounds in 2 or 3 weeks at the time. When I went to the doc he asked me if I had been drinking a lot or eating fatty foods. I didn't drink at the time and I was pretty much having a salad every meal. Somehow the change in diet just shot my uric acid level through the roof.
That can't be it, or maybe each person's different. I had a few gout attacks over the course of 2 years, but since then, I dropped almost 50 pounds (in about 3 months) - it's been a while, and though I don't have as much meat and beer as I used to, I still have them fairly regularly, and still nothing. Even in the blood-test I had recently, I have nowhere near the uric acid I used to before I lost the weight. So yeah, sustained weight loss, and water, lotsa water.

Oh, and medicine aside (I've never had a prescription, and I'm trying my damnedest never to do so), what helped most back when I had my gout attacks, in addition to water, was low-fat milk.
Old 04-06-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst View Post
That could be it. I went on a serious crash diet and lost 10 or 15 pounds in 2 or 3 weeks at the time. When I went to the doc he asked me if I had been drinking a lot or eating fatty foods. I didn't drink at the time and I was pretty much having a salad every meal. Somehow the change in diet just shot my uric acid level through the roof.
Two points:
*When you are dieting, especially a severe diet, you are "eatting" a lot of fatty meat -- yourself. Your body is metabolizing a lot of stored fat. After you have lost the weight, you'll be better for it, but a more gradual approach might be better.

*Google high purine foods. There are a few otherwise healthy foods that have high purine levels and raise uric acid levels in those prone to gout. Shun them. It is not just alcohol, red meat and rich sauces, although those are the well-known problem causes.
Old 04-06-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
im sorry to hear that.

I admit....I lol'ed.
Old 10-24-16, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Stupid gout came back. It started last weekend. Took ibuprofen until I could get to the doctor, and then the doctor said "stick with the ibuprofen for a week and see if that clears it up." It was starting to, and then I completely spaced on the fact that shellfish is high in purines so dinner with a friend on Thursday led to me turning the gout up to 11. Ouch. Guess I'll call the doctor in the morning to see if he wants to put me on a different medicine.

Ow ow ow.
Old 10-24-16, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sorry Jason, that sucks.

I'm at the point now, when I feel even a slight tingle of gout (and I know it well), I go on a hard-core food lock-down, pretty much NO food, except for certain fruits, LOTS of water (a bit of baking soda, some vinegar) and ibuprofen. After that, it tends to clear up within a day without getting worse.

Since my initial attacks, 7 or 8 years ago, the closest call I had was when I badly sprained my ankle earlier this summer, which swole up my whole foot, and I guess trauma to that area can trigger an attack. I did what I detailed above, and it worked, but it was a really close call.
Old 10-24-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My neighbor gets gout occasionally, and he does what Slop does. As soon as it starts to set in, he cuts out pretty much everything and watches what he takes in very closely.
Old 10-24-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't seem to get it anymore. May have something to do with cannabis being a huge anti-inflammatory, I suppose.

That sucks, Jason. I wouldn't see a doctor without gettting a prescription. I've even said, "Okay, so that I don't have to come back if it worsens, could I get the prescription now, and if I don't need it, I'll throw it away.

The last time I thought I had it (I didn't) they gave me a pill that you use to keep taking every hour until you got the shits. Then you knew it was the right dosage. They have since changed it to 2 pills initially and one pill an hour later. You might ask about that. I tend to keep a bottle of those 3 pills around so that I don't have to go to the doctor.

Now, on that last one, I didn't have gout. This is the stupidest thing ever. Gout tends to make me keep my big toe in the air because of the pain if it touches something. So I was keeping my toe flexed. It was getting worse, but not really like gout. I went to the doctor and the area was getting warm. They weren't sure what it was or what to do. Long story short, I had given myself the mother of all toe cramps to the point that I barely felt it, other than knowing there was some general discomfort where I'd normally have gout. Just as shit was about to get serious, I decided to work on my toe and keep it moving back and forth, massage it, etc. Took two hours to simply get to where the cramp was not in control Took two days for it to go back to normal and all I really had to do is keep it relaxed.

The shit I do to myself.
Old 10-24-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Huh, my doc has me taking allopurinol. No more gout.
Old 01-31-19, 10:05 AM

Man, this fucking disease is like being cursed. Unfortunately, I apparently have the progressive form of gout that just gets worse and worse. I had an attack last year that lasted almost a month. I fought it hard and managed to keep the attacks at bay with a daily regime of cherry pills, celery, uric acid cleanse pills, turmeric, vitamin c and allopurinol. Then last week, I went to an Asian buffet and limping the next day from a red swollen toe. So weird. I always thought my bad eating would one day give me a heart attack, not foot pain. I guess the only option for me now is to go full vegan which sucks for a meat loving guy from Texas. I'll never be able to enjoy a cheeseburger or steak again. The pain isn't worth it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.