Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I have gout! EEEK!

Old 06-10-10, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Re: I have gout! EEEK!

It's probably a long term effect from your ice balls.
Old 06-10-10, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my first attack right after m birthday last year. It hit my left thumb joint, it swelled up like a balloon. It hurt a ton, but since it was a joint that one can do without moving I was ok. I did go to dr and they took x-ray to look for arthritis.
That flared down but then my right knee swelled up. I couldn't bend it, driving to work was a bitch, I moved my foot from the accelerator to the break with my hand! The pain was killer, I couldn't have a sheet on my knee at bed because it hurt too much. I again went to the dr and had blood work drawn, I had the possible problems as rheumatoid or gout. I thought rheaumatoid because it never affected my toe, thank god I was wrong.
THe knee then swelled down after a couple days but then my left index finger at the knuckle swelled up. I also noticed I had tophii on my upper ear lobe.
After about a month of the gout moving from joint to joint it went away and has not returned. My tophii have almost disappeared. I changed nothing in my diet and I have no clue what triggered the flare. I have been to Brazillian barbecues eating nothing but red meat, and been are bar crwawls since and nothing has ignited it.
Old 06-11-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
AAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHHH!

THIS FUCKING HURTS SO DAMN MUCH!!!!

The medicine hasn't worked yet, and is suppose to take a day or two, but this hurts so damn bad. It is second only to frostbite on your scrotum. It is very similar in that the paid never lets up. You cannot keep yourself busy so that you don't notice the pain. The pain is all that you can think about. OUCHIE!
usually. i feel something off around 9pm.... i usually mistake it for foot fatigue from playing squash.

around midnight, pain rises, i still hobble, but i know it's gout.

2am comes by, i am wide awake for the rest of the night. i try to get some shut eye, but the pain is so intense by now, i wake up every 20 mins.

i just used 1 pill of indocin a couple days ago. I know it's bad, but i only resort to it when needed. weekly use will result to poison for the organs.

this pre-attack was felt in a new spot, an area right below the outside ankle bone.

another good way to get a feel for gout for me is when i compress my big toe to pinky toe bones (sorta like a handshake) if there's pain, that means uric acid is accumulating.

gout is teh suck. my triggers are oysters, clams, trout and red wine. (last big attack was red wine with trout eaten in the same meal).
Old 06-11-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

AAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHHH!

The medicine hasn't worked yet, and is suppose to take a day or two, but this hurts so damn bad. It is second only to frostbite on your scrotum. It is very similar in that the paid never lets up. You cannot keep yourself busy so that you don't notice the pain. The pain is all that you can think about. OUCHIE!
Damn wife and kids stopping you from taking the easy way out...

Had the stomach bug last year and the initial pain was the worst in my life. It felt like the stomach was being squeezed, twisted, and ripped apart all at once.

Take it easy! No dog killing this week!
Old 06-11-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHHH!

I hear you. I had my first gout attack around Easter this year (I'm 45) and it was by far the worst pain I've ever experienced. It affected both ankles so severly one night that I could not stand up without being in agony. Awful.

The only thing that helped with the pain was percocet.

The rheumatologist now says that more studies are showing that behavioral change (i.e. less alcohol and red meat) does not necessarily make a difference as to whether one has gout flareups or not. I like my microbrews!

The doctor is now talking about a prescription (after being on steroids for two months) that helps the kidney's process purines, so they don't accumulate (as crystals) in the joints...which is the cause of the arthritic condition known as gout.
Old 06-11-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I seem to get a lot of Old Man diseases. Had a cataract, now gout. Well, I talked to my Dr. and he asked about recent diet change. Been losing weight and eating a lot of broccoli. Pretty much with every meal for several months. He also mentioned that the Diet Coke and rum could also be a factor. I agreed to give up broccoli. Anyone else ever have this? Quite painful, but not much headache to get rid of.

That sucks, man. Gout hit me out of nowhere in 2007. I struggled to put on my shoe. The side of my toe swelled up really red and was very sensitive. Gout is pretty much like having razor blades embedded inside your joint, and the big toe joint is the worse. I took meds and drank tons of cherry juice and it eventually went away.

I had a flare up last weekend for a day though, and it was a quick refresher of that kind of pain.
Old 06-11-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am on indomethacin
That's the anti-inflammatory that I take; it works well for me, but it's like the worst high you can have. I always feel on the verge of nausea (never actually gotten sick), and end up feeling mildly dizzy for the duration of the medicine.

If I can catch the flare up early, one pill normally knocks it right out; if I don't, then it's normally a day or two of the indomethacin coupled with a hydrocodone or two.

Let me reiterate, the gout sucks!
Old 06-11-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my first gout attack when I was 23. It was after I lost a bunch of weight...most painful thing ever. Had another attack last year. It is a bitch.
Old 06-11-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh man I had a bout with da gout in 2006 32 years old and it was on my left foot 2nd toe right in the middle. I remember when it started i was like man did I bang my toe somewhere? Later that night my ex pulled the covers up and it just skimmed my toe and it felt like my toe had been smashed by a hammer. OMG that was one of the worst pains I have ever had. It had me in bed for almost a week. I remember my toe was red, swollen and really warm. I was 2 days before I went to a DR and they told me what it was. Man that was awful stuff.
Old 06-11-10, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Hell man, take some narcotics and wash 'em down with that cheap rum you buy by the gallon...

I have no narcotics. And I keep telling you that $23.99 for a half gallon isn't cheap, dammit!
Old 06-11-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
It's probably a long term effect from your ice balls.
I will say this....gout is nothing compared to sitting around while your balls thaw out with no paid medication. Gout hurts like hell, but it doesn't hold a candle to the pain I felt during that time.
Old 06-11-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst View Post
I had my first gout attack when I was 23. It was after I lost a bunch of weight...most painful thing ever. Had another attack last year. It is a bitch.
I wonder if that has something to do with it. I'm down roughly 45 pounds in 2010.
Old 06-11-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if that has something to do with it. I'm down roughly 45 pounds in 2010.
That could be it. I went on a serious crash diet and lost 10 or 15 pounds in 2 or 3 weeks at the time. When I went to the doc he asked me if I had been drinking a lot or eating fatty foods. I didn't drink at the time and I was pretty much having a salad every meal. Somehow the change in diet just shot my uric acid level through the roof.
Old 06-11-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

AAAAAARRRRRRGGHHHHHH!

I will say this....gout is nothing compared to sitting around while your balls thaw out with no paid medication. Gout hurts like hell, but it doesn't hold a candle to the pain I felt during that time.

How can you be thinking of your finances at a time like this....?
Old 06-11-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Didn't notice that. I was too busy kicking my dog in the hopes I would feel better.
Old 06-11-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't notice that. I was too busy kicking my dog in the hopes I would feel better.
If you're well enough to kick the dog, it is not gout.

If it were gout, you wouldn't let the dog breathe on your foot moreless collide with it.
Old 06-11-10, 03:16 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Based on this thread, and on conversations I've had with Dave, I believe that he is a contemporary of some of the ancient Biblical figures, like the guys mentioned in Genesis.
Old 06-11-10, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's some 'inside' stuff there Bando.
Old 06-11-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
If you're well enough to kick the dog, it is not gout.

If it were gout, you wouldn't let the dog breathe on your foot moreless collide with it.
Man, that's the truth. It is amazing how one's radar is up when people get to within 5 feet of your foot...then you stare them down and only let them pass carefully to one side.
Old 06-11-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Based on this thread, and on conversations I've had with Dave, I believe that he is a contemporary of some of the ancient Biblical figures, like the guys mentioned in Genesis.
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post

That's some 'inside' stuff there Bando.
Sophisticated way of calling me "Nimrod," no doubt.

Pretty highbrow there, Bando.
Old 06-11-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See how the whole Asherah thing comes full circle?
Old 06-11-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Now that is obscure. That's like tying Leap of Faith to Star Wars Episode 1.
Old 06-11-10, 06:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

Sophisticated way of calling me "Nimrod," no doubt.

Pretty highbrow there, Bando.

Ooooh, you like Green Day too?
Old 06-11-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

No. I like one song of theirs that I know of.
Old 06-11-10, 07:35 PM
Enormous Genitals

Then I guess your heirs and descendants will not be like the stars, beyond count, or like the dust, which is beyond reckoning. Your seed will not produce a great nation.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.