Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you have trouble doing that most adults don't?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-17-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two things for me. The first is fry an egg with the yolk intact. I only manage to get 1 out of 3 right. The other is tying a necktie. I've tried and tried to learn and just can't get it right. I keep all my ties tied in the closet and make sure not to untie when I take em off.
Old 05-17-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: What do you have trouble doing that most adults don't?

Learn to like scrambled eggs.

Buy clip on ties.

problems solved.
Old 05-17-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

losing my virginity

I wish I were kidding
Old 05-17-10, 06:54 PM

Fry an egg with the yolk intact? I'm lucky if I manage to crack one without pieces of shell getting in it.
Old 05-17-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
losing my virginity

I wish I were kidding
This is an easy fix - either a) lower your standards i.e. have none b) open your wallet
Old 05-17-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Two things for me. The first is fry an egg with the yolk intact. I only manage to get 1 out of 3 right. The other is tying a necktie. I've tried and tried to learn and just can't get it right. I keep all my ties tied in the closet and make sure not to untie when I take em off.
Wow what a loser.

And to answer your question: Having tact.

Old 05-17-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying a car.

Seriously, I'm interested in cars, I like cars, and have both the money for a car payment and the need for one with less that 172,000 miles on it, but every time I talk to a car dealer, I feel like a first grader talking to a junior high bully. It may have something to do with my perception that car salesmen are the lowest form of human life (even below lawyers, terrorists, and Randy Newman), but it's really annoying.

Yes, some of them are high pressure jerks, and I know which dealerships to avoid completely, but they're just doing their thing, and since I can't buy a car at Wal-Mart (yet), Im stuck with either dealing with them or driving my car till it falls apart.
Old 05-17-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Finding Friends With Benefits

...apparently I need sluttier friends.
Old 05-17-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Buying a car.

Seriously, I'm interested in cars, I like cars, and have both the money for a car payment and the need for one with less that 172,000 miles on it, but every time I talk to a car dealer, I feel like a first grader talking to a junior high bully. It may have something to do with my perception that car salesmen are the lowest form of human life (even below lawyers, terrorists, and Randy Newman), but it's really annoying.

Yes, some of them are high pressure jerks, and I know which dealerships to avoid completely, but they're just doing their thing, and since I can't buy a car at Wal-Mart (yet), Im stuck with either dealing with them or driving my car till it falls apart.
What's wrong with Randy Newman?
Old 05-17-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adult or kid, I've never been able to figure out blowing bubbles with bubble gum.
Old 05-17-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Buying a car.

Do everything online. You can treat them like shit and get away with it and not feel bad. Then you can get the best quote you want, in writing. Walk into the dealership and bam.. everything is already done except for the paperwork. If they talk to you and try to convince yourself otherwise, you have to learn to get up and walk away.
Old 05-17-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't see the 3D in 3D movies. I was born with a disease that affected my eyes and long story short, I don't have normal stereoscopic vision (and limited vision in my right eye).

The '80s 3D movies "worked" fine for me-- Jaws 3D, etc, but this new crop of movies (last few years), well... I can't see shit (I guess the technology is a bit different now, because my eyesight hasn't changed). It's a waste of $10 for me, but my kids love the 3D craze, so I wear the stupid glasses for an expensive 2D experience.
Old 05-17-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Do everything online. You can treat them like shit and get away with it and not feel bad. Then you can get the best quote you want, in writing. Walk into the dealership and bam.. everything is already done except for the paperwork. If they talk to you and try to convince yourself otherwise, you have to learn to get up and walk away.
+100. that's how i bought my last car. I found exactly the kind and what options and said i will pay x amount. They tried the BS of well we can't find that car or we only have one with extra features. I just told them over and over, this is what I will pay. Just make sure you have a specific number in mind and exactly what features you want. Also when you tell them that number tell them it includes everything (license, fees and other bs) so they don;t try to add on other stuff.

I've heard of people even getting a check cut for the exact amount they want to spend and bringing it into the dealer the first time they go as a way of saying here is what I have and here is what I want and letting the dealer making it fit.

and all this logic applies if you are buying a 10 year old Toyota from Carmax or a $100k BMW from the dealer.

Last edited by j123vt_99; 05-17-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It takes me a few extra seconds to figure out my left and right. I even have to go so far as to hold up my hand in the "L" shape. And yes, the irony of that also being the "loser" symbol isn't lost on me.
Old 05-17-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Adult or kid, I've never been able to figure out blowing bubbles with bubble gum.
This.
Old 05-17-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not much of a whistler.
Old 05-17-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

picking up women.
Old 05-17-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by j123vt_99 View Post
+100. that's how i bought my last car. I found exactly the kind and what options and said i will pay x amount. They tried the BS of well we can't find that car or we only have one with extra features. I just told them over and over, this is what I will pay. Just make sure you have a specific number in mind and exactly what features you want. Also when you tell them that number tell them it includes everything (license, fees and other bs) so they don;t try to add on other stuff.

I've heard of people even getting a check cut for the exact amount they want to spend and bringing it into the dealer the first time they go as a way of saying here is what I have and here is what I want and letting the dealer making it fit.

and all this logic applies if you are buying a 10 year old Toyota from Carmax or a $100k BMW from the dealer.
I've only bought one vehicle new from the dealership. I came with a cashiers check. The salesman had to call the sales manager at home, but I got my motorcycle.
Old 05-17-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Enjoy watching most popular American Sports (ie Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey). Loved sports until I was about 20 then suddenly I couldn't care less if a particular city's team won any kind of championship. I can still watch a little basketball if it's an exciting game but I don't care who wins.
Old 05-17-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

being an adult
Old 05-17-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Enjoy watching most popular American Sports (ie Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey). Loved sports until I was about 20 then suddenly I couldn't care less if a particular city's team won any kind of championship. I can still watch a little basketball if it's an exciting game but I don't care who wins.
Same, though I was never interested and have no inclination to even *try* to care about it.
Old 05-17-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Same, though I was never interested and have no inclination to even *try* to care about it.
I, for one, envy you greatly for this. I don't care as much as most 30-something males, but I do still get caught up in it for a few sports.
Old 05-17-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zombeaner View Post
I'm not much of a whistler.
This.
Old 05-17-10, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80 View Post
What's wrong with Randy Newman?
Jason is short.
Old 05-17-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Life in general. The list is just too long from enjoying sports to cooking.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.