Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What do you have trouble doing that most adults don't?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What do you have trouble doing that most adults don't?

Old 05-20-10, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What do you have trouble doing that most adults don't?

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Same here. Carpentry, plumbing, wiring, car repair, etc. seem like almost unfathomable skill sets to me. I always say to myself "now, this shouldn't be too difficult, as I'm reasonably intelligent, have some tools, and possess normal hand-eye coordination." Doesn't seem to work out that way.

Also, although I'm a good driver in regards to the physical skills, my sense of direction is inferior to that of most 10 year old girls.

I imagine these two things are probably connected---some male genes that weren't passed down to me.
Same here especially car repair. I relate to that Mitch Hedberg joke "if my car don't start and the gas gauge ain't on E, I'm fucked"
Old 05-20-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Same here. Carpentry, plumbing, wiring, car repair, etc. seem like almost unfathomable skill sets to me. I always say to myself "now, this shouldn't be too difficult, as I'm reasonably intelligent, have some tools, and possess normal hand-eye coordination." Doesn't seem to work out that way.

Also, although I'm a good driver in regards to the physical skills, my sense of direction is inferior to that of most 10 year old girls.

I imagine these two things are probably connected---some male genes that weren't passed down to me.
Good gravy, I think we are twins...

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32 View Post
Same here especially car repair. I relate to that Mitch Hedberg joke "if my car don't start and the gas gauge ain't on E, I'm fucked"
Oh wait, it appears we may be triplets...
Old 05-20-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

About not feeling confident with carpentry, plumbing, electrical work, car work, etc. I know the basics, and I can do the job just fine when what I"m working with is "by the book," but that seems to rarely be the case. I bought a new storm door a few months ago, and I knew right away that because the frame wasn't square and the previous owner had done some half-assed carpentry to the frame, there was no way I was going to do the installation myself. No shame in calling in a pro at that point-- even the pro took about 3 solid hours to install the door. If it took him 3 hours, how long would it have taken me? Forget it. Definitely worth the extra money having him do it.

I asked him how many times he's called in to do install jobs after the homeowner tries and fucks it up ("Pretty often" was his response). At least I know enough to not let it get that far, if it's over my head.
Old 05-20-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel View Post
I cannot say the word "button" or other similar words with two T's in the middle without stopping and deliberately pronouncing it. If I try to just say it, it comes out "buddon."
Haha. I had a friend who mocked me when I said the word "tao". It always comes out at "towel". Still can't do it.
Old 05-20-10, 11:17 AM
Banned

Letting go of things. Dealing with the fact that everything ends.

I've always had great difficulty with this. Now, at the age of 45, Ive had several family members die (grandparents, uncles & aunts), not to mention my dog, who lived for 18 years, died last summer. Not just loved ones, but places and things - My favorite resturants are mostly gone, along with some of the other places I used to hang out in with friends.

It's getting to the point where I don't want to love anything or care about anything anymore because I know it's just gonna get taken away.

I guess I'm learning what it is to be old, and I hate it.
Old 05-20-10, 02:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Letting go of things. Dealing with the fact that everything ends.

I've always had great difficulty with this. Now, at the age of 45, Ive had several family members die (grandparents, uncles & aunts), not to mention my dog, who lived for 18 years, died last summer. Not just loved ones, but places and things - My favorite resturants are mostly gone, along with some of the other places I used to hang out in with friends.

It's getting to the point where I don't want to love anything or care about anything anymore because I know it's just gonna get taken away.

I guess I'm learning what it is to be old, and I hate it.
2 options...suicide...or you can be a hoarder..the latter will get you on a TV show AND help for your problem..btw
Old 05-20-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
Oh wait, it appears we may be triplets...
Not anymore.
Old 05-20-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mother ran a babysitting service in our house when I was growing up and I learned to dislike kids. I still don't like to be around them and avoid it whenever possible. I've honestly tried to like them, but over the years I've just learned to pretend so people aren't offended. It breaks my mother's heart... she always wanted a grandson and is still convinced I'll "change my mind" someday. I'm just glad my brother finally had a kid a few years ago because she got off my back a little.
Old 05-20-10, 08:07 PM

- Can't do the loud whistle thing people have already mentioned.

- I hate talking about politics, hate it hate it hate it.
Old 05-20-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My regular whistle is pathetic, and my two-fingered loud one is non-existent.

I also can't roll my R's and I really wish I could.

I can't snap my fingers.
Old 05-21-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2-fingered whistle.

Blowing bubble gum bubbles.

Masturbating.