Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's your irrational fear?

Old 05-12-10, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What's your irrational fear?

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
spiders.

Spiders? The smaller they are, the less I like 'em.
Spider mites are the bane of marijuana growers. Mites are not insects, but arachnids, the same family as spiders. They have eight legs. Your garden is probably infested with two spotted mites. When looking through a loop or magnifying glass, two black spots are visible on the pest's back. Gardens are also infrequently infested with the red spider mite.

Spider mites are about the size of a poppy seed. They insert a tube into the plant and suck out its juices. Indoors, where they are not combating nature's challenges, mites multiply quickly and overwhelm gardens. Mites lay eggs after they mature, about two weeks after hatching. The females lay thousands of eggs over their lifetime. They hatch in about three days.

Mites must be eliminated before forcing or when they attack plants in the early stages of flowering. If not they will multiply with disastrous results. The skimpy buds will be low quality and covered with dead mites.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/articles/3109.html
Old 05-12-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

frogs
Old 05-12-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That smoking too much ganja will make me paranoid.
Old 05-12-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Riding in elevators. I avoid at all costs, even if it means embarrassing myself.

I had no choice visiting a friend in the ICU last month...first time in one of those death traps in years
Old 05-12-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Escalators. I'm always afraid I'm going to be sucked in by the giant razor sharp teeth at the top which usually results in me making one huge step off the escalator to avoid being ripped limb from limb.
Old 05-12-10, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
If I leave a light switch in a position that isn't fully up or down, it will start a fire and burn the house down.

I'm not testing this theory, but I haven't burned the house down yet by making sure it's really up or down.
I do that too.

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
Roller coasters.

No way the designers of those things had 6'7 men in mind when they were drawing up the blue prints. I pretty much spend 99.9% of the ride ducking, POSITIVE I'll get decapitated.
Won't get me on one of those death machines.

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
Brain injury, brain damage, anything like that. I can't even watch brain surgery on the Discovery channel.
Irrational indeed.
I Fear a slight bump causing brain hemorrhage.

I have trouble falling asleep due to some irrational fear of falling asleep.
Old 05-12-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That, when I turn off the lights as I'm going up stairs, I will get eaten alive by a Gmork-like wolf coming up behind me.

To this day.
Old 05-12-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
That, when I turn off the lights as I'm going up stairs, I will get eaten alive by a Gmork-like wolf coming up behind me.

To this day.
I still expect to see those two little girls from The Shining at the end of the hallway.
Old 05-12-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Count me amongst the people who won't get on a roller coaster.
Old 05-12-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I looove roller coasters. The more rickety wooden ones are my favorite.
Old 05-12-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hate bridges over water... I have to take a nice deep breath every time I am on one.
Old 05-12-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Hate bridges over water... I have to take a nice deep breath every time I am on one.
I hear ya, unless you can get out of the car(which creates other problems, you'd be crushed by the roof.
Old 05-13-10, 12:41 AM

I am not at all afraid of the normal things that others seem to fear. Bridges, roller coasters, heights are all okay with me. I am, however afraid of driving. I start to panic if another car gets anywhere near mine. Of course, every time I get on the road some idiot pulls out in front of me and just makes it worse. I am also afraid of hot cooking oil, you know like the big vats of grease they fry food in. I keep thinking how easy it would be to slip and fall forward into it. I guess I will never have a career in fast food! : )
Old 05-13-10, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
Roller coasters.

No way the designers of those things had 6'7 men in mind when they were drawing up the blue prints. I pretty much spend 99.9% of the ride ducking, POSITIVE I'll get decapitated.

Most roller coasters are built by the lowest bidder. Plus, construction was probably rushed by the owner to meet an outrageous opening date so some things may have been conveniently skipped. Not to mention that the coaster was most likely Value Engineered repeatedly to keep the budget lower than proposed.

My irrational fear is cockroaches. I'm deathly afraid of them. One comes crawling nearby, I will leap on the nearest tall object, screaming like a little girl. Whatever it touches in anyway must be destroyed. If I somehow come in contact with one, I bathe repeatedly until I feel clean. Even pictures of them make me shudder.

They have no souls. To peer into their eyes is to peer into the void. I hate 'em.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 05-13-10 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-13-10, 06:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I'm afraid that I'll drop something (mainly my keys) as I enter an elevator, it falling exactly into that crack and down into the nether regions.

So everytime I enter an elevator I make sure I don't have anything small in my hands, or that I'm holding them very tightly.

Not sure where this fear came from, as I've never heard of anyone losing their keys this way, but it just seems like a worst-case-scenario that could easily happen. It's on my mind everytime I enter or exit an elevator, which is multiple times a day.
Old 05-13-10, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a fear that I will get the hiccups and they will never go away. Thankfully, never happen to me. The holding your breath or drinking lots of water trick works for me. The scary thing is the cure for hiccups is mostly psychological which means doctors can't do anything to help you.
Old 05-13-10, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Turbulence. I'm one of those people that during a bumpy flight I'm clutching the arm rest and squeezing my eyes shut and thinking about Santa Claus.
Old 05-13-10, 09:11 AM

My irrational fear is of dropping my keys down a storm grate.
Old 05-13-10, 09:17 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
My irrational fear is of dropping my keys down a storm grate.
Not only for this reason, but I refuse to walk over any type of grate or manhole.
Old 05-13-10, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Not only for this reason, but I refuse to walk over any type of grate or manhole.
It seems you chose your avatar well.
Old 05-13-10, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
If I leave a light switch in a position that isn't fully up or down, it will start a fire and burn the house down.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I went back after walking out of the room to double check the light switch because I wasn't 100% sure it went all the way down.
Old 05-13-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Escalators. I'm always afraid I'm going to be sucked in by the giant razor sharp teeth at the top which usually results in me making one huge step off the escalator to avoid being ripped limb from limb.
My ex does this, but I am the opposite. I leave my feet on because I like the feeling of my feet sliding up the little incline. So far, I haven't gotten chewed up.
Old 05-13-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being in public place, and having some guy come in and start firing away.
Old 05-13-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anytime I'm on a boat, I'm paranoid that my watch or one of my rings will fall off and go overboard, straight to the bottom. I used to sduba dive but haven't done it in a few years, and I've only had this "fear" since I stopped diving (I'm not sure what that's all about). I won't go to the side of the boat without putting my hands into my pockets or making sure my watch is secured to my wrist (which it always is, but I'll check anyway), and I'll keep rechecking it as long as I'm near the side of the boat.
Old 05-13-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whenever I'm in a house with large windows without blinds, at night, I'm always paranoid that someone is either watching me or will jump through at any moment and grab me, a la Friday the 13th Part 2.

Also, that rats or mice will run up my leg and bite me when i'm outside in bushes or tall grass. Completely irrational, I know, but I get paranoid about small critters biting me. Even more weird because I've had pet rats before, and I've never been bitten.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.