DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-14-10, 07:44 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

The Running Thread (was Running is stupid and it hurts)

Why do people run? I went for a run this morning. It was stupid and it hurts. It didn't hurt while I was running, but now there is pain in my body, which is my body's natural way of telling me not to run.

Do you run? And if so, why are you stupid?

Have you convinced yourself, by the fact that you kept running and your body stopped hurting after a while, that your body didn't simply give up on caring about you after numerous warnings?

Also: Ow.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 04-14-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 07:51 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Running is stupid and it hurts

I ran on treadmills for a while. I stopped pretty much because I find it boring and pointless. I can get my cardio in on more interesting exercises.
Old 04-14-10, 07:52 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by big whoppa View Post
I ran on treadmills for a while.
Did you take off?
Old 04-14-10, 07:58 PM   #4
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Why do people run? I went for a run this morning. It was stupid and it hurts. It didn't hurt while I was running, but now there is pain in my body, which is my body's natural way of telling me not to run.

Do you run? And if so, why are you stupid?

Have you convinced yourself, by the fact that you kept running and your body stopped hurting after a while, that your body didn't simply give up on caring about you after numerous warnings?

Also: Ow.
You need to make it more exciting, go hit a cop, and the you will have a reason to run
Old 04-14-10, 08:00 PM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course you feel sore at first. But if you keep doing it the pain will go away.
Old 04-14-10, 08:03 PM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You ran too hard or long just starting out. Rookie mistake. I run, but only 10ish miles a week. Any more and I feel like my knees will be worn out by the time I'm 40.

I'm currently following a training schedule for a 5K from a book called "Run less, run faster." It is mostly for marathon training but has a 5k section too. Haven't been too sore from the workouts yet. I just started thowing in tennis on the off days and it is a bit too much now.

And yes, either my body stopped caring or maybe it was the beer I reward myself with afterwards.

My dog loves running a whole lot more than I do.

Last edited by asabase; 04-14-10 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 08:14 PM   #7
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only run on a treadmill and only with a movie/TV program in which I have interest playing to distract me from the fact that I'm running LAMF and not going anywhere. It hurt BADLY for the first couple of months, but now I manage pretty well with a good sweat and less pain.
Old 04-14-10, 08:19 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

I started running a few weeks back. What i do is I'll run a block and then walk a block. Some days i can run longer and others (like today) I'll walk more. You have to pace yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
Old 04-14-10, 08:29 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
What i do is I'll run a block and then walk a block.
I think I'll switch to this as well. 2 blocks sounds about right.
Old 04-14-10, 08:32 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

I started running last year. I was exactly like you and never thought I'd ever run. I still can't say I enjoy running, but LOVE the way it makes me feel. Before running I did a lot of elliptical and I can tell you running is totally different and lots harder.

If you really want to try running, do the C25K plan. It take you from couch to 5k in 9 weeks. It is a great program, helps keep your focus, is challenging (assuming your not a runner), easy and free (see Google). Tho you can also get an app for your iPhone or Touch that is even better as it gives you verbal promps while you listen to music. Highly, HIGHLY recommended.

Home Theater Build
Old 04-14-10, 08:41 PM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie diva View Post
You need to make it more exciting, go hit a cop, and the you will have a reason to run

Sooo true
Old 04-14-10, 08:46 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Love to run. What hurts? Are you just sore because you haven't run in a long time or did you hurt something?
Old 04-14-10, 08:47 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

I started running 3 miles a day two weeks ago. Now I'm 42 miles from home and sore.
Old 04-14-10, 08:53 PM   #14

I used to cycle religiously, but I don't have the time to do it like I used to. (And a rider getting run over on one of my regular routes spooked the hell out of me). Running takes so much less time and it's a better workout for me.
Probably for those with a sedentary lifestyle 5k is a major accomplishment. But after routinely riding 50 to 100k a time, 3 miles seemed easy to me. Make no mistake, it still sucked the first time! But it didn't take a week to work up to that distance. I ran a little with my two 23 year old sons last night (who are about to go into the AF) and they smoked me!

Last edited by covenant; 04-14-10 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 08:56 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Running is freaking awesome. 4 miles @ 6:45/mile and then a 15 minute fartlek (heh, I said fartlek) this morning for me.

/sub 40 10K, I'm comin' to git cha come June.
Old 04-14-10, 09:00 PM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Man View Post
Of course you feel sore at first. But if you keep doing it the pain will go away.
That's just your body's way of giving up on trying to tell you that you're doing something so completely wrong. It's like talking to a wall, you can only do it for so long.
Old 04-14-10, 09:04 PM   #17
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
please, keep this type of talk to the X-critic forums.
“Pseudo-scientific fairy tales supply the public with what is wants: truisms, clichés, stereotypes, all sufficiently costumed and made “wonderful” so that the reader may sink into a safe state of surprise and at the same not be jostled out of his philosophy of life.”
Stanislaw Lem, His Master’s Voice 1968.
Old 04-14-10, 09:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Running is freaking awesome. 4 miles @ 6:45/mile and then a 15 minute fartlek (heh, I said fartlek) this morning for me.
That's fast....I started late last year and the fastest I could get a mile down to before winter hit was 8:40.
Old 04-14-10, 09:12 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. When I try running, my ankles and shins hurt, and my exercise-induced asthma takes 2-3 days to subside.

When I get used to my new and expensive orthopedic inserts, I will try walking again.
Old 04-14-10, 09:14 PM   #20
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by covenant View Post
That's fast....I started late last year and the fastest I could get a mile down to before winter hit was 8:40.
4 years of work.

What's insane is that the guy who just won the Rotterdam Marathon averaged 4:45/mile. I can do one mile on a track at about 5 minutes and then I feel like I'm going to puke.
Old 04-14-10, 10:14 PM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
You realize, of course, that this is because your body starts producing more painkillers and not because you're doing less damage to yourself.

As someone who wore out the cartilage in one hip and trashed the cartilage in the other knee, I seriously suggest less impactful forms of exercise, or you very well might regret it someday. Don't underestimate the value of simply walking and moving about pain-free when you're older.
Old 04-14-10, 10:57 PM   #22
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a good reason why I don't jog: the shock of the impact from my feet to my hip from jogging can be quite painful.

That's why I take 45 minute walks every day instead.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! -- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Old 04-14-10, 11:04 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of impact...

Quote:
Running barefoot may be healthier, say scientists

Runners without shoes land more gently on the ground, avoiding impact injuries

By Steve Connor, Science Editor
Thursday, 28 January 2010

During her colourful career as a track and field athlete, Zola Budd was as famous for her eccentric habit of running barefoot as she was for turning her back on apartheid South Africa.

Now, scientists have found that running without any footwear could in fact be better for your legs than jogging in trainers, because it encourages the use of a different set of muscles as well as a different gait that avoids repeated heavy impacts between the feet and the ground.

Wearing modern trainers encourages heavy "heel-striking" between the back of the foot and the ground, whereas barefoot running makes people more "springy" and less likely to hit the ground hard with their feet, it is believed.

The researchers found that running in bare feet – which was until relatively recently in human evolution, the natural way to run – may give better protection against the sort of repetitive-impact injuries caused by striking the ground with a force equivalent to several times a person's body weight.

A study which compared barefoot runners with those who ran in modern trainers found that heel strike was less likely in those who did not wear running shoes. Barefoot runners were more likely to land on the front part or ball of the foot, and they adjusted their leg and foot movements so that they landed more gently on the ground, the scientists found.

"People who don't wear shoes when they run have an astonishingly different strike. By landing on the middle or front of the foot, barefoot runners have almost no impact collision, much less than most shoe runners generate when they heel strike," said Daniel Lieberman, professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard University.

"Most people today think barefoot running is dangerous and hurts, but actually you can run barefoot on the world's hardest surfaces without the slightest discomfort and pain. All you need is a few calluses to avoid roughing up the skin of the foot. Furthermore, it might be less injurious than the way some people run in shoes," Professor Lieberman said.

The study in the science journal Nature compared runners in the United States and Kenya, where many people have run barefoot since childhood. They found that barefoot runners tend to point their toes toward the ground, giving a spring in their step, compared with those who run in trainers.

Modern running shoes have cushioned heels that encourage landing on the back of the foot, which for a barefoot runner can be painful. However, cushioned heels mean that a typical runner is pounding the ground heavily at a rate of about 1,000 collisions per mile, said Madhusudhan Venkadesan, also of Harvard University.

"Heel striking is painful when barefoot or in minimal shoes because it causes a large collisional force each time a foot lands on the ground. Barefoot runners point their toes more at landing, avoiding this collision by decreasing the effective mass of the foot that comes to a sudden stop when you land, and by having a more compliant, or springy leg," Dr Venkadesan said.

Professor Lieberman said the pronounced arch of the human foot shows that human beings are built for long-distance running. "Humans have engaged in endurance running for millions of years but the modern running shoe was not invented until the 1970s," he said.

However, he cautions: "Running barefoot or in minimal shoes is fun but uses different muscles. If you've been a heel-striker all your life you have to transition slowly to build strength in your calf and foot muscles."
Old 04-14-10, 11:07 PM   #24
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im trying to build my mileage back up... BTW, dont run on treadmills unless you HAVE to because of hot weather outside, it is really boring... I always mix up my outdoor runs in different places, I also love going for runs in places I am visiting, one of my most memorable runs was through the french quarter in New Orleans in 40 degree weather in December... in shorts... I like changing the scenery, it keeps the runs from being stale to me, like they would if I had to run a treadmill all the time...(longest treadmill run 11 miles... longest outdoor run 26.2)

My problem is the arthritis I have in my joints, it takes me a good mile to get that feeling out of my system, even with the supplements Im taking. I do mix up the running right now with more less impact cardio such as elliptical machines.

Im trying to get into shape to run another marathon next year (my first was in 08), but we will see if I have the time for 2-3 hour training runs near the end of my training regiment... yes those were only one day a week, but even the shorter runs took a long time too
Old 04-15-10, 01:13 AM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Speaking of impact...
Yea, there is a movement that all these modern shoes that are supposed to correct things are what is the problem. A nice read is "Born to Run". I didn't find it life altering like some, but interesting.

Nike's line of "Free" shoes are close to barefoot running. Nike recommends them for occasional short runs to build up strength. Haven't tried them, some sear by them.

Home Theater Build