DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 03-15-17, 11:34 PM   #201
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Running Thread (was Running is stupid and it hurts)

This Friday I'm doing my first official trail race. 25K (~15M) with an elevation gain of 3870 feet. I've never run in that place, so it should be interesting. I've been doing long runs in trail for the past couple of months. My longest one was 16 miles, and the elevation gain was more than the race.

Since this is my firs trail race, I've been doing road races for a long time (1/2 marathon PR of 1:46), I will try to take it easy. Probably just try to run it under 3 hours.
Old 04-24-17, 01:30 PM   #202
DVD Talk Legend

Completed my first Disney Race yesterday at the Darkside 1/2... It was a total blast and haven't had that much fun at WDW in a while. I was worried because I had to really curtail my training due to having some ITB issues and knee pain. The most I was able to run in training the last month was 7 miles and that one really hurt. I also did everything wrong the few days before with walking around the parks and eating my favs, but I had a great time and I was able to complete the race with no issues with my knee. Now my calves and feet are another issue, but the knee held strong. I had it taped at the Expo by the KT people. I don't know if it actually helps or not (I wore my ITB strap as well just to be safe) but whatever it was, Im glad it held up. Next year I'll try to go for some challenges and coast to coast medals.

Anyone have any recommendations for just a general running schedule when not training for a specific race? I was thinking 5k, 2-3 days a week with a longish (10k) every 3rd week or so? I lift and do other conditioning workouts but want to keep the running up as well.

"Fighting is the best thing a man can have in his soul."-Renzo Gracie
Old 04-24-17, 02:30 PM   #203
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats on Dark Side! I did it last year and had a blast, and from what I'm seeing online most people had a great time (although a hot, humid one).

As long as you're cross training, a good maintenance schedule is 3x a week. Speed work on Tuesday, Tempo run on Thursday, and long run on Saturday or Sunday is a good plan. It's pretty much what I do in between cross training on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and it's done me very well over the years.

Speaking of which, I've got the Big Sur Marathon on Sunday. Supposed to be one of the best "Bucket List" marathons out there, I can't wait!
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 04-24-17, 04:13 PM   #204
DVD Talk Hero

It's still stupid and it hurts.

But I *have* to try and keep my running schedule so that the scar tissue in my left knee doesn't start to build and stays loose and pliable. I don't run much, a timed mile and then a series of box jumps and squats. I neglected doing that for almost a year and relied upon weekly games of volleyball, but I need to go back to strengthen the muscles around the knee and break apart that scar tissue. As well as lose a few pounds.
Old 04-24-17, 04:24 PM   #205
DVD Talk Hero

Great job Fantastic VS Doom, and good luck, Hokeyboy!
Big Sur Marathon sounds amazingly scenic, albeit still a 26 mile race, so way out of my league.

I'm still targeting the R&R 1/2 in November. I've run 412 miles, 96 sessions so far this year (as of 4/24, day #114 of 2017). Running 4 miles 5 times a week and a longer 5.5 mile run once a week. I know I'll need to bump that run up closer to the 1/2, but will probably wait until late-Summer to tackle much beyond 6.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-25-17, 12:23 PM   #206

So, I bought new running shoes and started using them by, um, running...

I guess road cycling and soccer wasn't enough cardio?
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 04-25-17, 12:35 PM   #207
DVD Talk God

Recs on running shoes? Bought some Nike ones and they just aren't doing it for me.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-25-17, 12:38 PM   #208
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be an Asics man until I die (or stop running). I guess it's personal preference, though

Old 04-25-17, 12:44 PM   #209

I have used and like Brooks. Currently wearing Newtons. I like them, but thinking of going back to Brooks when it is time to change shoes.
Old 04-25-17, 01:56 PM   #210
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'll be an Asics man until I die (or stop running). I guess it's personal preference, though
My buddy who is an avid runner also have me this recommendation. Thanks
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 04-25-17, 06:00 PM   #211
DVD Talk Hero

I swear by my my Saucony running shoes!

After having to take nearly a year off due to a major injury, and after a few months of physical therapy, I've finally gotten back to running this past week! And while it's frustrating having to start at the beginning (I used to be able to crank out 5 to 10 miles every other day, no problem, but now, I'm lucky if I can go 2 miles without feeling like I'm gonna die), I do feel like I've been improving in just this one week.

Fingers crossed I don't fuck up my knee and ankle again!
Old 05-19-17, 01:43 PM   #212
DVD Talk Hero

Well, shit just got real, No turning back now!
I better start increasing the distance of my once a week "long run" from six miles to seven pretty soon.

Also, just passed 500 miles on the 17th.

Old 05-19-17, 03:47 PM   #213
DVD Talk God

nice. good luck.

Old 05-21-17, 08:36 PM   #214
DVD Talk Legend

After 2 months off w/PF I'm back! I'm using May as recovery month. Started 3 runs a week at 15 min each adding 5 min each week. Today is last run of week of 25 min.

I'm trying build slowly so don't have a relapse.

Foot is not 100% but no pain during run. Sometime a bit sore after or next day (not running on back to back days yet).

Also bought a bike (but haven't had a chance to use due to working out of town). And I'm refocusing on strength training. All to be a strong runner.

So far so good. I'd like to be close to four mile runs by end of month. 4 miles was my "normal" running distance. I usually ran 4 miles twice a week, 5-6 miles once a week, and 8-9.5miles long run.

Of course this all means I won't reach a 1,000 miles this year. I had 2 years in a row ;(
Old 06-05-17, 01:02 PM   #215
DVD Talk Legend

I ran 3.55 miles yesterday with no real ill effects. Up to 4 runs a week. I'm going to slowly add miles for June as well. Then in July might move back into my normal routine (2 runs of 4 miles, 1 run of 5-6 miles and weekend long run of 9-10 miles - tho I'll likely have to but up that long run).

Going to PT today. I got mad and kicked a box after yesterdays run and not tender...but not bad.

Home Theater Build
Old 08-02-17, 12:29 AM   #216
DVD Talk Hero

Meant to post this yesterday : 750 at the end of July. 1250 is in play for the year...

I'm still only doing 6 for my weekly "long run". I'll need to move to 8 soon, but I'm waiting until it cools down a bit (like September). I figure if I can move to 8 in Sept, I can get to 10 in Oct and one 12 mile run before the Half Marathon in Mid-November. At least that's my plan for now.

Old 08-03-17, 10:43 AM   #217
DVD Talk Legend

This summer has been a bit frustrating. I have a Tri on Labor Day weekend, and started summer training with a UC flare-up and when that went into remission, I was diagnosed with Achilles tendonitis. I'm sidelined from running and biking until late August. Grr. Swimming is still OK and I'm allowed to walk, but that's it.

My mileage has plummeted for the year, sitting around 560. I'll still hit 1000 (got two halfs, two fulls, and a Ragnar this fall) but my training has shifted into more swimming and strength training to keep fit.
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 08-03-17, 11:09 AM   #218
DVD Talk Hero

While I'm good with running in extreme heat, this unusual humidity (60% to 80% for Southern California is insane) has been making it tough to breath while running. Just not used to it.
Old 08-03-17, 12:11 PM   #219
DVD Talk God

I am only at 255 miles for year. At first I was like that sucks, but then I realized I only started running in January and have taken off about a month cumulatively. Figure now that I am in the swing of things this year, next year I will have a far loftier goal.

Old 08-07-17, 02:13 PM   #220
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still doing well..building miles. This past week I did 3 runs in a row 3-4 miles each than 2 runs in a row 3-4 miles.

I feel I'm ready to slide back into my normal running AND do a training plan for half marathon in November. Need to start it 8/21. But, just to be safe, I'm going to drop down a program and do the Novice 2 from Hal Higdon,

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51...aining-Program

Its a bit more aggressive than just doing enough to finish a half. But not so much that you are doing a lot of speed work, and never running more than 4 days a week.

I had moved up to an intermediate plan from Runners World, but but got hurt 3 weeks in. I don't blame the plan, it was a little extra weight and not doing more weights etc.

I can tell I have lost a good amount of running conditioning. 17-18 miles a week is a bit challenging for me, yet last year I was averaging 23 a week and often ran 25 a week. The difference is mainly in that long run I need to be getting in.

Home Theater Build
Old 08-20-17, 01:58 PM   #221
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I've just begun training in earnest. I have been doing five 4 mile runs a week and one longer run, usually 6 mils on Sundays. Today I pushed it to 8.25. Did it in 1:31. Wasn't too tired at the end -- I take that as a good sign (considering it's the first time I've ever ran past the 6 mi/10K mark). If I can keep that pace up, I figure that's a 2:30 Half-Marathon and I'd be very happy if I could pull that off.
Assuming the weather stays nice enough to run outside for that long, I will try to keedp it at 8 miles for a few weeks and then creep up to 10 in Sept. from 10, I will probably do one 12 mile run in Oct before the Half in the second week of November.

Old 08-20-17, 03:26 PM   #222
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I guess I've just begun training in earnest. I have been doing five 4 mile runs a week and one longer run, usually 6 mils on Sundays. Today I pushed it to 8.25. Did it in 1:31. Wasn't too tired at the end -- I take that as a good sign (considering it's the first time I've ever ran past the 6 mi/10K mark). If I can keep that pace up, I figure that's a 2:30 Half-Marathon and I'd be very happy if I could pull that off.
Assuming the weather stays nice enough to run outside for that long, I will try to keedp it at 8 miles for a few weeks and then creep up to 10 in Sept. from 10, I will probably do one 12 mile run in Oct before the Half in the second week of November.
Yes, even tho many beginner plans top you out at 10 miles, I recommend going to 12. It might not make that much difference physically, but it will mentally.

Also, on one (or more) of those really long runs, use it as a dress rehearsal. Wear exactly what you plan to wear for the race. Including if you plan to carry water, gels or other food.

Have you run races of any length before? If not I recommend signing up for a 5k or 10k. Just to give you a feel for race day. Only problem is most races are in the morning and Vegas is a "night" race. It throws me off a bit every time...lol
Old 08-20-17, 04:00 PM   #223
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I ran the 10K on the Strip last year. There was plenty of water and Gatorade on the route. I normally run a 1 or 1.1 mile lap with a water bottle on my porch. Now that I'm running over an hour, I started putting a bottle of Powerade on there so I can get a little glucose. It's important for longer periods of exertion.
Old 08-20-17, 05:58 PM   #224
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I ran the 10K on the Strip last year. There was plenty of water and Gatorade on the route. I normally run a 1 or 1.1 mile lap with a water bottle on my porch. Now that I'm running over an hour, I started putting a bottle of Powerade on there so I can get a little glucose. It's important for longer periods of exertion.
Yup...perfect. I carry Gatoraid on all half marathons. The RnR event only have it very sparse. I like taking a shot (3-4 ounces) every mile, starting at mile 1. I do have to start mixing in a bit of water after 7-8 miles as the Gatoraid starts getting "candy like".

If this is your first half, don't worry about time. Also I love doing the Vegas race (it was my first half ever) but know it is like 40,000 peeps and crazy! Just chill, relax and enjoy.
Old 10-04-17, 01:22 AM   #225
DVD Talk Hero

Just hit 1000 miles today. Last year I only hit it on 12/31/16. Getting there on Oct 3rd seems like a big improvement to me. I've been lucky that I'm running 6 days a week and not sustaining any injuries. Not bad for 50!

I have a new pair of Asics sitting in the closet. Sdallnct, when do you suggest I start running in them? A month before the race? Just a week before? I want them in ideal condition to run the Half in.